Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 23:25

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2011, 08:58
pkatmi wrote:
Tuck2013 wrote:
http://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/uploads/content/csq_form.pdf

"Please give examples in the space below to support any Top 5% or Bottom 20% ratings."

Wow .. that sounds like an awful lot of work for the recommender. So does that mean that recommenders usually give the top 5% on only a few qualities? I thought the recommender you're choosing is right behind you and thinks the world of you and so would give a top 5% on a lot of these.

Guys who've gotten in - can you please shed some light on this (obviously assuming that your recommender discussed this with you)

Most of the time a recommender will use the same examples for other schools. So yes, it is a lot of work, but much of the work will be used again if you decide to apply to other schools.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2011, 09:42
Tuck2013 wrote:
Most of the time a recommender will use the same examples for other schools. So yes, it is a lot of work, but much of the work will be used again if you decide to apply to other schools.

Thanks much Tuck2013. The thing that I found different in Tuck's reco was that there already is a specific question asking for 3 principal strengths. There's a good chance that those would overlap with the qualities marked as top 5%. I'm guessing in such a case the recommender would just point back to the previous question.

Do you also feel like it's a way of discouraging the recommender from marking most of the qualities in top 5%. Also, Based on your experience, do you have a feel for how many of the 19 qualities would a strong applicant get a top 5% rating in?
Current Student

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2011, 10:06
pkatmi wrote:
Tuck2013 wrote:

Thanks much Tuck2013. The thing that I found different in Tuck's reco was that there already is a specific question asking for 3 principal strengths. There's a good chance that those would overlap with the qualities marked as top 5%. I'm guessing in such a case the recommender would just point back to the previous question.

Do you also feel like it's a way of discouraging the recommender from marking most of the qualities in top 5%. Also, Based on your experience, do you have a feel for how many of the 19 qualities would a strong applicant get a top 5% rating in?

I don't think the school is trying to discourage recommenders. I just think it's a way to really get to know an applicant from another perspective. Recommendations are very important so make sure you pick people who can make the time to provide insight.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 8

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2011, 10:52
Tuck2013 wrote:
I don't think the school is trying to discourage recommenders. I just think it's a way to really get to know an applicant from another perspective. Recommendations are very important so make sure you pick people who can make the time to provide insight.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts. Much appreciated.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 05:00
Just a heads up. It looks like the interview dates will be live for applicant initiated interviews on Friday.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GMAT 1: 760 Q44 V51
GPA: 3.6
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 15:57
Is there a reason why the Interview Deadline for November round is the same as the App Deadline?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 16:03
JoelCairo wrote:
Is there a reason why the Interview Deadline for November round is the same as the App Deadline?

That is just for the applicant initiated interviews. If you do not initiate your own interview, admissions will schedule an interview you after reviewing your application like other school.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 16:06
rgupta83 wrote:
That is just for the applicant initiated interviews. If you do not initiate your own interview, admissions will schedule an interview you after reviewing your application like other school.

Thanks, quick point for clarification: does the interview have to be done by that deadline, or just scheduled?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 16:09
JoelCairo wrote:
Thanks, quick point for clarification: does the interview have to be done by that deadline, or just scheduled?

The Tuck site says the interview is complete by the date, so I would assume done.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 16:12
^ My bad, I should learn to read. Thanks
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 118

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2011, 18:22
Apply for early decision, updated profile
BSchool Thread Master
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 76

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2011, 19:19
Mmmm, was hoping to register today for a visit on October, but the slots open are only for September this far. Gotta keep waiting...
Current Student
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2011, 04:44
Well, app finished, LoR's submitted, interview scheduled for late September. Goodluck everyone else!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2011, 10:41
Tuck2013 wrote:
Interview slots now open

Thanks! Looking forward to re-visiting and interviewing.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2011, 10:38
According to the Key Deadlines portion of the Tuck website (http://www.tuck.dartmouth.edu/uploads/c ... ctions.pdf) those applying EA have to complete their interview no later than October 31, which is about three weeks after the October 12 submission date. Does anyone know how we tackle that part of the app that asks "Have you interviewed on campus?" Do we just forward date it if we are applying EA, but schedule an interview between October 13-31? They aren't currently offering interview slots that far out, but I would have to imagine that they plan to do so given that they are saying you have to complete your interview by October 31.
Current Student
Affiliations: Tuck - Class of 2013
Schools: Tuck '13 (M)
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: Q V
GPA: 3.93
WE: General Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 33 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2011, 18:43
Here's a few more articles featuring Dartmouth and Hanover:

Hanover 6th best place to live in the USA: http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2011/snapshots/PL3333780.html

A nice article on the MBA jobs market:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/mattsymonds/2011/08/03/a-resurgent-m-b-a-jobs-market/

More insight into the Tuck alumni network:
http://www.businessweek.com/business-sc ... 52011.html

P.s. All of the T13's are about to start orientation week on Monday so if you don't hear from us it's because we are incredibly busy. Also, of the few T13's who post on GMAT club, I'm sharing an apartment with one of them, and another was one of eleven people on my pre-term program. Tuck really is a small and intimate community.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Real Estate
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 7

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2011, 08:47
I was originally planning on applying EA to Tuck. However, I have been informed that I should be promoted by year's end so I am now planning to wait until the January round to apply. Does anyone know whether there is a disadvantage to applying in the January round versus the EA and November round? I apologize if this question has already been posted.
Current Student

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2011, 08:53
mbarealestate wrote:
I was originally planning on applying EA to Tuck. However, I have been informed that I should be promoted by year's end so I am now planning to wait until the January round to apply. Does anyone know whether there is a disadvantage to applying in the January round versus the EA and November round? I apologize if this question has already been posted.

On average, EA's acceptance rate is the highest of all rounds. Grant it, we are talking a few percentage points. If Tuck is your first choice, I would make applying in EA a priority for two reasons: 1). Slightly higher acceptance rate 2). If accepted, you will know by mid-December and won't have to spend money or time on other applications.

November and January rounds see the highest application volume.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 141

Kudos [?]: 463 [0], given: 523

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2011, 00:40
I would like to adress the question to current Tuck students.

How generous is Tuck in scholarships? What amount of scholarship and other financial aid did you (or someone whom you know) receive from Tuck?

thanks in advance.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Intern
Intern
Schools: Tuck '14, HKUST, ISB
WE: Engineering (Telecommunications)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 35

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 09:19
Pkit wrote:
I would like to adress the question to current Tuck students.

How generous is Tuck in scholarships? What amount of scholarship and other financial aid did you (or someone whom you know) receive from Tuck?

thanks in advance.

Even I'd like to know the same :)

Also Im not able to view any of the comparative data in the first post even though I've added Tuck to my schools! Some1 please help :)
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants   [#permalink] 31 Aug 2011, 09:19