Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 12 Jul 2014, 03:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 6

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2011, 17:55
This post received
KUDOS
Pkit wrote:
I would like to adress the question to current Tuck students.

How generous is Tuck in scholarships? What amount of scholarship and other financial aid did you (or someone whom you know) receive from Tuck?

thanks in advance.

Speaking for myself, it's hard to say. I was happy with my package. It's kind of like GMAT scores. Once you are enrolled, nobody asks. Same with money.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: Tuck - Class of 2013
Schools: Tuck '13 (M)
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: Q V
GPA: 3.93
WE: General Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 33 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2011, 09:15
This post received
KUDOS
eestineiu is right, generally people don't talk too much about scholarships. I have spoken to several people who told me that they have gotten them but we did not discuss actual dollar amounts.

It seems to be pretty rare to be awarded a scholarship but I think that Tuck does everything in it's power to ensure that if you are accepted you will be able to afford the course. I was very happy with my package, I was awarded exactly what I needed to be able to afford and attend and I believe that the adcom and financial aid office planned it that way.

Scholarships are given based both on merit and on need. I.e. some money is used to help recruit exceptional people that the adcom really want to attend the course, and some money is used to ensure that those who receive an offer are able to attend.

Hope this helps...

Also, here's another article that puts Tuck in a good light: http://poetsandquants.com/2011/09/01/th ... -startups/
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2011, 10:41
This post received
KUDOS
[quote][/quote]

Are you an international student? 450 is fine. I had a couple of essays at about that length.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Phi Beta Kappa
Concentration: International Business, Other
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2014
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 9

Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2011, 05:21
This post received
KUDOS
shorttheworld wrote:
anyone going to the tuck event tonight @ yale club in nyc?

Shorttheworld (I'd be short too), I went yesterday. I also had my class visit, interview and that stuff in Hanover yesterday.. The people up there are so bloody friendly and nice, and while I haven't been accepted anywhere (yet - hopefully, touch wood), I kind of hope to only be accepted one place. That way I wouldn't have to deal with choosing. Because, although it is in NH (personally this wouldn't be an issue), it is a fantastic place. Academics are stellar - but this you would expect from any such school. What sets it apart in my opinion is the people and culture. What they say at their events is actually true. What are your thoughts on recruiting? Goldman had been there one day before, and given the class size of 270 people roughly, it must be "easier" to get an in with that? Then again, my friend who just graduated with 800 peers from Columbia also landed a sweet job...

My trip, and return leg, to Hanover:D :

Distance Time Mpg Speed
252.00 3.92 32.30 64.00
252.00 3.67 34.20 68.00
504.00 7.58 33.25 66.00

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 41 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2011, 06:02
This post received
KUDOS
meprarth wrote:
Hey,

Can you submit the applicaiton even if the recommendations are not yet done?

You can submit anytime regardless of recommendations. The app will not be complete until the recommendations are received.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 41 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2011, 09:59
This post received
KUDOS
meprarth wrote:
So if I submit by EA deadline but my recommenders submit a couple of days later will it be considered for EA?

You should be fine. Depends what a couple days is. I would try to make sure its at most 2 days late. I do not know the exact policy, so I give this suggestion with a word of caution. Best to urge your recommender to submit as close to the deadline as possible.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE: Corporate Finance (Computer Software)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2011, 11:25
This post received
KUDOS
In your case, to be safe...I would send tuck admissions an email, they are pretty quick to answer all questions, and are easy to talk to
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Oct 2011, 04:48
This post received
KUDOS
gunnertv wrote:
Guys. I am an international applicant applying in the November round and I would not get a chance to visit before the November round. I am also using my GRE score(1500/1600) for my app. Is it too much of a disadvantage? Can I request them for an on campus interview after the deadline as I am currently on an international assignment where I am not allowed to take leaves. That is also the reason I could not take my GMAT yet :(

I would explain the situation in the optional essay. I would also ask the admissions about requesting an interview after the deadline. It also depends on how far after the deadline. I'm sure within 2-3 weeks would be okay but anything after that would probably be a no. I would check with admissions
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 18:24
This post received
KUDOS
I'm a first-year vet at Tuck and looking to pay back all the help I got from the vets in b-school while I was applying. If any military applicants have any questions about applying to Tuck, please feel free to send me a PM.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.4

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 1

Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2011, 09:11
This post received
KUDOS
tranceparent wrote:
Does anyone know if Tuck informs you in which round your application is being considered for.

I submitted on Oct 12, in time for the EA round, and today it says app completed on Oct 24. All my materials were in by Oct 12, so I am suspecting that they matched the various components of my app (rec, gmat score etc) on Oct 24.

So would it be correct to assume that I am still in the running for the EA round?

Yes, you are still in the running for the EA round. I had the same question, and spoke with someone in the admissions office. They clarified for me that the "app completion" status is only relative to when the admissions committee has "processed" all of our materials and has verified they are not missing anything. Good luck - only 7 weeks to go.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 118

Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Oct 2011, 23:15
This post received
KUDOS
I finally received my interview invite for 11/3. It will coincide with the Tuck reception at Mumbai on 11/2. So I will be in Mumbai for 2 days. Now I am rushin to book tickets and buy myself few suits (previously I had only one which I neve wore and now does not fit me).

So everyone, please wish me luck.

Good luck to others waiting for an invite.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE: Investment Banking (Venture Capital)

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 22

Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2011, 05:49
This post received
KUDOS

Last edited by washingtondc627 on 05 Jan 2012, 11:10, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.44

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2011, 11:36
This post received
KUDOS
rajadi wrote:
Hi All, I am going to Hanover on Nov 8 and have an interview with the adcom on Nov 9. If anyone is interested in sharing the room for 8th night and reduce the costs, please PM me. Over 150$ for a night's sleep is better shared and spend for more constructive purposes :)

P.S. I don't snore :)

Hey Rajadi and anyone else that is going to Tuck.

I had my interview there last month. I have to say the school is INCREDIBLE. I loved everything about the school and the people. I am sure you will love it. I am keeping my fingers crossed for the EA notification.

When I went the to Tuck, I rented a car and stayed at a hotel in White River Junction. Go to hotwire.com and look for 3 star hotels in Hanover (they will say the closest is White River Junction, which is a 10 minute drive) and you will see hotels there for $75 or so for a night. I got mine for $65 and stayed at a Holiday Inn Express. It was actually very nice and the hotel also had free breakfast. I have been using hotwire a lot for my school interviews (at Duke, Kellogg etc) and have been able to stay in nice places fairly affordably. PM if you have any questions.

P.S. Anyone else feel that they over exhausted their MBA application budget? I am now dipping into my actual savings I set aside for tuition to pay for the applications. I hope it works out :)

Good luck everyone!
1 KUDOS received
Tuck Thread Master
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V46
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.49
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 50 [1] , given: 85

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2011, 21:04
This post received
KUDOS
Visited Tuck today and had my interview. Absolutely loved it there. Everyone's enthusiasm is contagious, and it was clear that the students are very happy with Tuck and Hanover.

Looking forward to applying in January.

If anyone needs any tips on getting to Hanover/where to stay/eat/etc feel free to PM me. I had flown into NJ for a wedding and rented a car to drive up the day before my scheduled visit.

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit

Glad I Retook: 730 (Q44 V46) to 760 (Q50 V44)

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Nonprofit
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.4

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 1

Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2011, 06:52
This post received
KUDOS
jinunike wrote:
Hello Folks,

Can somebody advise if it is Ok to send changes in your work profile (new positions,promotions, etc) to the adcom post submission. I am an international candidate and habe applied already in EA. Done with my interviews (applicant initiated).

The default answer here is that "if you have a positive, substantive change (ie promoted from consultant to manager) to your application, then it is worthwhile providing an update". If it's something to the tune of "I have more responsibility and now help organize social events" then it is probably not worth it, and may show poor judgment. I have also heard that you should send the updates to the generic Tuck admissions email, not an individual on the admissions committee. Hope this helps.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 43 [1] , given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2011, 19:27
This post received
KUDOS
djohnsons wrote:
Thanks. Am just feeling unfair and limited chance to get in.
It is hard to believe that this kind of cheating is somehow common in MBA application.
We did not see any scandal in the past few years, right? They all survived and could have been working at a prestige company with good pay.

No point in worrying about what anyone else is doing but yourself. You can't control it, so whats the point? Just put forth your best application and everything will work out in the end.

Go Blue!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 5

Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2011, 09:40
This post received
KUDOS
djohnsons wrote:
Thanks. Am just feeling unfair and limited chance to get in.
It is hard to believe that this kind of cheating is somehow common in MBA application.
We did not see any scandal in the past few years, right? They all survived and could have been working at a prestige company with good pay.

Agreed with your point, and too with some of the opinions of the GMATClubbers - all that you can control is your own actions, so put your best foot forward. I understand your frustration, but quite honestly, you don't have to have cured cancer, or saved a company from ruin to get into a top school :)

As for AdComm's not caring about dishonesty, I don't think that is accurate.

Sure, there is the subjective "they have had many years of experience, so have a sense of what's real and what's not", how much faith people have in that statement varies.

However, most schools also carry out some form of background check on admitted students. (I do not have any official word on this from a school source, but a simple search on this and other forums will yield numerous discussions about this topic). As in anything, there are some applications that sneak through, but it would be logical to think the majority are filtered out.

Think about it, AdComms should care about the quality of incoming students.

Think of B Schools as a workflow:

The AdComms control the input (students), the faculty, staff, career office process the input, and the output is an employable graduate. The feedback loop is that the employable graduate does great work, and further adds to the prestige of the school.

If the AdComms are loose on selecting the right input, then the system does not work. Bad input->Bad output->Bad for school.

So, the Admissions team must work hard to assemble a class of the most high-potential candidates because they have to meet the expectations of the school, AND those of the recruiters. Schools need to be able to place their graduates in the market.

A lot of the "prestige" of schools come from the work their alumni have been able to accomplish, and schools care about this. As an AdCom I wouldn't bet on an applicant whose stories I feel are fake. Would you?

So saying that AdComms don't really care about fabricated applications is a disservice to them, because it is in their best interest to care about fabrications, and they do.

As for not seeing a scandal in recent years, maybe there aren't as many fake applications as we think? ;)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2011, 10:07
This post received
KUDOS
watersty wrote:
hey guys
I am waiting for EA result too. Since I am a re-applicant from last year and my interview being waived, it is really a long time to get that phone call.

about ten more days to go. hang in there buddy!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 118

Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2011, 18:13
This post received
KUDOS
craymanz wrote:
watersty wrote:
hey guys
I am waiting for EA result too. Since I am a re-applicant from last year and my interview being waived, it is really a long time to get that phone call.

about ten more days to go. hang in there buddy!

10 really long days.... :wink:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V40
GPA: 3.44

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2011, 21:37
This post received
KUDOS
I think I have an obsession with Tuck! Im praying for a miracle call from the admissions soon. Good luck to us all. I hope that many of us meet in Hanover :)
Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 05 Dec 2011, 21:37