Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 11 Jul 2014, 13:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
3 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 16 [3] , given: 6

Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 11:49
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth- Class of 2014 Applicants

Tuck Business School Guide

Home Page: http://tuck.dartmouth.edu

Add Your Name to the List

Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicant Summary (Real Time)

Quick Glance: GMAT Club vs. Latest Intake (Class of 2013)

Latest GMAT Club Member Profile Updates

Detailed Applicant List: Add Yourself to This List (add Tuck to your profile)

GMAT Club's Real-time Admissions Statistics

Add Your Profile to This List
Questions about this Roll Call?

Fall 2012 Application Instructions

Application Deadline
Early Action round 10/12/11
November round 11/9/11
January round 1/4/12
April round 4/2/12
November Consortium 11/15/11
January Consortium 1/5/12

Interview Deadline
Early Action round 10/31/11
November round 11/9/11
January round 1/31/12
April round 4/2/12

Admissions Decision
Early Action round 12/16/11
November round 2/10/12
January round 3/16/12
April round 5/11/12
November Consortium 2/10/12
January Consortium 3/16/12

Essays
Please respond fully but concisely to the following essay questions. Compose each of your
answers offline in separate document files and upload them individually in the appropriate
spaces below. Although there is no restriction on the length of your response, most applicants
use, on average, 500 words for each essay. There are no right or wrong answers.

Please double-space your responses.

1. Why is an MBA a critical next step toward your short- and long-term career goals? Why is Tuck the best MBA program for you? (If you are applying for a joint or dual degree, please explain how the additional degree will contribute to those goals).

2. Discuss your most meaningful leadership experience. What did you learn about your own individual strengths and weaknesses through this experience?

3. Describe a circumstance in your life in which you faced adversity, failure, or setback. What actions did you take as a result and what did you learn from this experience?

4. Tuck seeks candidates of various backgrounds who can bring new perspectives to our community. How will your unique personal history, values, and/or life experiences contribute to the culture at Tuck?

5. (Optional) Please provide any additional insight or information that you have not addressed elsewhere that may be helpful in reviewing your application (e.g., unusual choice of evaluators, weaknesses in academic performance, unexplained job gaps or changes, etc.). Complete this question only if you feel your candidacy is not fully represented by this application.

6. (To be completed by all reapplicants) How have you strengthened your candidacy since you last applied? Please reflect on how you have grown personally and professionally.

Follow Tuck

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tuckschool
Twitter: http://twitter.com/tuckschool
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/TuckSchoolofBusiness
Admissions Blog: http://tuckschool.blogspot.com/

Prior Year Applicant Thread
calling-all-fall-2011-dartmouth-tuck-applicants-96226.html

Last edited by bb on 21 Mar 2012, 13:07, edited 13 times in total.
Updated
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 5 [4] , given: 0

Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2011, 09:32
This post received
KUDOS
hi everyone,

i am an accepted candidate (with $) from this year, however, i am a reapplicant so i know EXACTLY what you guys are going through right now. i applied jan round last year and was dinged. i did not receive any sort of special note suggesting that they highly encourage me to reapply or to receive feedback. i just emailed the adcom on my own and requested a feedback call, and they were kind enough to give me a detailed 20-minute call that explained the weaknesses in my application and what they would like me to address if i reapply. so i have a few thoughts for those of you that were dinged this year:

- if tuck is your top choice, as it was mine, by all means reapply!
- if you did not receive a "special" letter, do not be disheartened, be proactive and you will most likely get the same call and chance that any other reapplicant gets
- if you plan to reapply and want to hear my story, i am happy to share it and help anyone who wants to get in next year. just personal message me and i will help you on the reapplication journey.

good luck!
4 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Dartmouth (Tuck) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT 2: Q V0
GPA: 3.66
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 76 [4] , given: 58

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 10:12
This post received
KUDOS
Just got off the phone with Ms. Dawna Clark herself. OMG I AM IN!
Midwest based candidate.

Thrilled. So thrilled.

Dropped off my client status call to take the Tuck call. :-D

Grinning....

And! Guys I think the pace is picking up!

GMAT Story http://gmatclub.com/forum/100-point-improvements-they-are-possible-124223.html
Profile/School Status http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-40.html#p1028789

3 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 16 [3] , given: 6

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 11:55
This post received
KUDOS
I will be a Tuck student this coming fall. I'll be happy to answer any questions about the admissions process. Once I start, I'll be happy to answer questions about the school, academics, recruiting, etc. I will add one important note. The admission process is truly holistic. That is not a lie. I'll also make the first page more appealing once I get enough posts.
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 117 [2] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2011, 21:12
This post received
KUDOS
mn2010 wrote:
Does any know of a good hotel nearby ? I know there are 2 right on campus but they are somewhat expensive. Anyone knows about Chieftain Inn ? how far is it from campus ? etc

You may want to check out hotels in either West Lebanon or White River Junction. Much cheaper.

As far as transportation, the Hanover area has a great bus system and it's FREE!! I've taken it a few times and it makes run through Lebanon, West Lebanon and White River Junction I believe.

The website is pretty cool. You can check, in real-time, where the buses are. They'll drop you off right in the middle of campus. Some of the hotels in Lebanon or WRJ have shuttles to Dartmouth as well.

http://www.advancetransit.com/

RF

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: LEAD Program in Business, NSHMBA, NBMBAA
Concentration: General Management
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 44 [2] , given: 77

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 09:10
This post received
KUDOS
PTK wrote:
Thanks for considergin my job monotony (prolix)/not interesting, etc. :) I like it a lot.

Don't you think that unique guys with a "combination of impression stats, superior leadership (inside and outside of your organization) and very compelling" story with "superb leadership experiences" already have salary and job position far better than those hoping for an MBA or recent gradutes?

In nutshell most (not all!) of MBA appicants are not satisfied with their current jobs and go to business school either to change the industry or to accelerate their careers. So they have a need for booster.

The guys with combination impressive stats, superb leadership experiences don't really need any booster because for them live is already sexy enough. So without the need of let say MBA they would not consider applying. So the scolarship will remain in any PE fund or bank account and continue to accrue some interest.

The game is all about to pursue the school about your uniqueness and take that scolarship. All decisions are made by people therefore are subjective.

I never said, I thought your job was monotonous - I said an adcom may not find it 'really unique' at face value. That's up to you how you present the story; perhaps there was a tone of entitlement in your application that was a turn off?

Humility is just as much of a part of your application that any other component. You may have done some amazing things in your career, and I'm sure there are schools out there that value your experience... I just find it tough to swallow as an outsider someone running down their resume on an online forum and assuming they deserve [at least] an interview because of said resume?

If an adcom saw an app that resembled a similar theme maybe they are thinking, "Great work experience, solid stats, but would this person fit well in this class and would they be a humble team player?"

And to answer your question about the 'combo candidate', if we are speaking in generalities my answer would be no, they wouldn't have a better salary/job position than recent grads. Statistical data would support that as well, since most will see a substantial increase in earnings and improvement in standing within the corporate hierarchy. Whether or not they are satisfied is to be considered on a case by case basis.

If for some reason you don't get into any schools this time around and you decide to do it again, I've extended the offer to review essays and resumes for folks and give as objective of an opinion as I can. As I said I'm not an application authority nor do I believe I am based on merit, but I can bring a fresh look and opinion that may help in the long run.

Cheers

My Blog - Road to the MBA Class of 2014

2 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 156 [2] , given: 4

Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2012, 10:51
This post received
KUDOS
Don't have access to the chat right now so... CONGRATS, LRW! Big win for #teamLRW! :)

Posted from my mobile device Image

Application Profile: http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-20.html#p1009999

Application Story - The Third Quadrant Applicant: http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html#p1027642

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GMAT 2: Q V0
GPA: 3.66
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 76 [2] , given: 58

Re: Tuck 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2012, 10:05
This post received
KUDOS
Future Tuckies who had a semi-heart attack at their financial aid package today.

I clarified with Tuck Financial Aid office:
The Expected Family Contribution, EFC, is not a number that a student is expected to come to school with and pay out of their own pocket. When it comes to applying for financial aid, you can apply for aid up to the full cost of attendance.

GMAT Story http://gmatclub.com/forum/100-point-improvements-they-are-possible-124223.html
Profile/School Status http://gmatclub.com/forum/2012-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-116595-40.html#p1028789

1 KUDOS received
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Other)
Followers: 148

Kudos [?]: 487 [1] , given: 527

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2011, 07:53
This post received
KUDOS
Have Tuck Adcoms already released the deadlines?!

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Finance Treasury
WE 2: Entrepreneur
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 11

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2011, 07:56
This post received
KUDOS
Tuck2013 wrote:
kittu wrote:
Arent these essays from last year's application? Have they announced fresh essays for this year?

Those are the new essays.

I can't post a link yet but the admissions released the essays on its blog.

Here you go:

http://tuckschool.blogspot.com/2011/06/ ... tions.html

I kept searching for new essays on their website and couldn't find them. Thanks for directing me to the blog :)
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 6

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Jul 2011, 08:25
This post received
KUDOS
nittinj wrote:
was dinged w/o interview last year...completed feedback session few weeks back. I am an international applicant ( M/Indian/30/710/undergrad- IITB-top 5 in India/7 yrs in industrial sales, 2 yrs international work exp till date)..was given 2 specific feedbacks - work on essays, show your love for Tuck !

Any recommendations on how to address the 2nd point !

Visit the school. Also, Tuck has something called "Tuck Connections" that is good for prospective students. You sign up and a few days later they put you in contact with a current student/alumni with a similar background as yours. Another way to "show love" is to research all you can about the program.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Tuck

Kudos [?]: 117 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 10:30
This post received
KUDOS
mbarealestate wrote:
Does anyone have information on the real estate or green-technology/substainability curriculum at Tuck? I searched for relevant courses on the website but came up with one course titled "Real Estate". They have a real estate club that boasts its members as having real estate experience, aspriations, etc, so I was hoping for more of an offering.

There is a small but very strong real estate group at Tuck. Prof Vogel (one of the best professors at Tuck) teaches a Real Estate half and full course. I took the half course (even though I'm not going into real estate) and it was one of the best courses I took at Tuck.

If you're interested in pursuing real estate, you'll get a ton of very personalized support at Tuck. There are some great guests who come and speak and because not a lot of people go into real estate, you'll get a lot of attention if you network.

I would suggest you contact Prof Vogel, he'd be more than happy to speak with you about what Tuck has to offer and it would really help with your goals essay.

There is also a sustainability initiative at Tuck, but I'm not that familiar with it. Check out Tuck's website, you should find what you're looking for there.

RF

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2011, 14:27
This post received
KUDOS
madzy wrote:
Hi,

I am basically interacts in investment management and am looking at schools to apply in the 1st deadline. I wanted to understand from someone the following :

1. How is Tuck's finance program rated?
2. I am 32 hence slightly older than the average MBA entrant. I would like to know whether that would be an issue with Tuck?
3. What are placements at Tuck like? D several finance firms recruit from Tuck? Specially investment management? I understand that networking is extremely essential for IM jobs. That I am willing to do. Which are the regular finance names at Tuck? Any hedge funds in there?

Appreciate your help.

Regards,
Madly

Within the investment management space, Tuck actually has very strong ties to the big mutual funds in Boston. Fidelity, Putnam, Wellington, T Rowe Price, and Hartford all do on campus recruiting and interviews. Since there are typically only 10-15 Tuck students going after these jobs your ability to interview with them is extremely high (in some cases essentially guaranteed). At that point, it's all up to you. You will need to work your ass off putting together top notch stock pitches... these interviews are TOUGH. Make sure you know what you're getting into when it comes to IM recruiting, including putting together pitches and preparing for these interviews. It's not just networking. Although being at Tuck should get you an interview, it wont get you the job. Often times these companies will come to campus and interview but give out no offers (typically they interview at 5-10 schools and give out only a handful of offers nationwide). Tuck will put you in front of these guys and give you the shot, it's up to you to close.

As far as hedge funds, you are not going to get that on campus. It's a very difficult off campus process and you will likely need some of your own contacts. Although its not completely impossible, Tuck isn't going to be a great help to you here. You will need a stellar resume, massive commitment to the job hunt, and luck. People I've seen pull off hedge fund jobs have prior bulge bracket banking or trading experience followed by hedge fund or pe before school and killed themselves on the networking front including dipping deep into their own networking, sending out hundreds of cold emails, pounding the pavement, etc. This is not a path I would reccomend. Mutual funds (above) are a much better path into IM.

Lastly on the recruiting front, you can always get a bulge bracket banking job and try for IM later. All the big banks come to campus and people have a lot of success landing these jobs from Tuck. But if IM is really what you want I wouldn't reccomend this. Its impossible to recruit both, you have to pick one.

As far as your other questions... how is the finance program rated? Tuck is very strong in finance recruiting, has a strong alum network in the field, and is very well regarded. You can get into large mutual funds, bulge bracket banks, private equity (mid market), etc. On the academic front I would say the offerings are average to pretty weak, but business school is not about academics. It's about job opportunities, network, and rep of the school. You'll learn enough finance (and then learn on the job) to be able to handle any job opp you're able to land. There's also a lot of outside the class learning, such as preparing your stock pitch and you will have all the help you need and then some from your classmates in that regard, many of which have prior IM, banking, or research experience. Oh that reminds me... you can also land sell side research jobs at banks from Tuck so that's another option.

As far as age, 32 is fine.

Good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: Tuck - Class of 2013
Schools: Tuck '13 (M)
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: Q V
GPA: 3.93
WE: General Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 33 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2011, 06:22
This post received
KUDOS
There's a little article here about professor Robert Howell here: http://www.mbamission.com/blog/2011/07/ ... dartmouth/

And it looks like 2011 is going to be another good year for Tuck: http://thedartmouth.com/2011/07/05/news/Tuck
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2011, 18:01
This post received
KUDOS
Hi all,

I will be attending Tuck this fall (together with Tuck2013, RHB, eestineiu, richmonder, and many others). Happy to hear everybody's interest in Tuck, and GOOD luck in your application! If you have any questions about Tuck, I will be glad to help.

Quick note about myself. I am an international student from South-East Asia, 31 year old at matriculation, and I was admitted to Tuck in the EA round. If you have a similar background, dying to get into Tuck, and have any burrning questions on the application, please feel free to shoot it my way.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 41 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2011, 20:08
This post received
KUDOS
app2012 wrote:
Hey Guys,
How are you doing on Tuck essays? I am interested in knowing thoughts of current Tuck students on word count. I just finished my Tuck goal essay and the word count is 790 words.

Hey app2012, I am currently at 750 myself and I feel that it is too high. While Tuck provides no max, I think there are some extremes to that number. Given the recommended length is 500 I am shooting to get myself down to 600 words or less. Obviously I would not cut sentences and words that add value, but reading these forums there have been some good ideas out there.

The few that I remember are:

1. Read the essay backwards and see how it flows. There are probably organizational issues that can be found and sentences that become superfluous to the overall message.
2. Read the essay and look for weak sentences in paragraphs. These sentences either add no value and need to be removed, or are weak and need to be revised.
3. Have 2-3 other people read the essays. Ideally people who have applied to B-School. get their inputs and take their advice. Usually a fresh set of eyes will help cut out unnecessary words.

Regardless of what I have said, I would not take out anything you think adds value to the essay. You essay should portray you message and I would not do anything to sacrifice that.

Hope this helps.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2011, 02:21
This post received
KUDOS
app2012 wrote:
Hey Guys,
How are you doing on Tuck essays? I am interested in knowing thoughts of current Tuck students on word count. I just finished my Tuck goal essay and the word count is 790 words.

I think Tuck does not have any hard and fast rule on the word count, though there is a guideline of 500 words per essay. IMHO it very much depends on the amount of meaning/relevant stuff you can share. I believe it is more important to write concisely and communicate your perspectives effectively, rather than sticking to the 500 word guideline as a strict limit. Getting friends to review your essays definitely helps. Personally, I had 697 words for my Tuck goal essay when I applied last year. My average word count is definitely more than 500 words per essay, though one of my essay has as few as 367 words.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 6

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2011, 13:34
This post received
KUDOS
Interview slots now open
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)

Kudos [?]: 41 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2011, 09:10
This post received
KUDOS
Earlier in the process the AD's are still trying to create the skeleton for the class so your chances are inherently better. As the class begins to take shape, they get more focused on the needs to ensure diversity in the class. With the class size at Tuck I would imagine this is even a bigger factor here then at other universities. The earlier you can submit your application, the better your chances are.

Again this is assuming the improvements made in your application between the EA round and round 2 would be marginal. If there are significant improvements, It is always worthwhile to ensure you are putting your best foot forward
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 8

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2011, 11:40
This post received
KUDOS
If you haven't already... make sure you visit the campus before you submit your application. I think most current Tuck students and alum on the site would say the same thing. Tuck is probably the only school where fit will really trump a lot of other things and the more "love" you show for the school the better your app will be. You can't get this kind of feeling until you've visited. With the location being in a rural setting (very rural), you really need to know that you can commit to living there for 2 years if admitted. The admission committee wants people who genuinely know they want to be a Tuckie and who they think will be successful in that environment... not to mention actually attend if admitted. If you're really aiming at attending next fall, I would scheduled your class visit & interview within the next 2-3 weeks and get that app submitted by October 14th.

Re: Calling All Fall 2012 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants   [#permalink] 29 Aug 2011, 11:40