Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 08:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Female MBA Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS (R1), HEC Paris (R2), Oxbridge (R2), INSEAD (R2), Wharton (R2)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Female MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 09:59
ariel,

I think the chat's a great idea. When is everyone's availability?

McNerdy

Chips, crisps, and biscuits!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 36

Re: Calling all Female MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 10:05
McNerdy wrote:
ariel,

I think the chat's a great idea. When is everyone's availability?

McNerdy

I agree, the most difficult part would be to get everyone together at the same time. I am available workdays after 8pm EST and this Friday/Saturday/Sunday at any time. If you want to participate, list your availability and maybe we can find a common time-slot.

Tips: best-app-tips-77803-80.html#p610423
GMAT experience: gmat-710-q47-v41-what-worked-and-what-didn-t-81055.html#p608295
Telling your story: storytelling-82064.html#p615567
Other MBA women: calling-all-female-mba-applicants-84636.html
GMATClub interview practice groups: gmatclub-interview-groups-85902.html#p643929

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 12

Re: Calling all Female MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 10:27
I'm usually available after 8pm EST and on weekends as well. Also, I always have trouble getting into chat, I try to use my screen name (2012dreams) and I get the error "Erroneous Nickname"...anyone know why this happens?

My story of an average chick who stumbled into the 700+ club
700-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-64636-100.html#p600519
My 2009-2010 Application Decisions
2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html?view-post=600694#p600694

Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS (R1), HEC Paris (R2), Oxbridge (R2), INSEAD (R2), Wharton (R2)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Female MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 10:36
I'm available this Friday after 9 PM EST (based in Northern California here), Saturday before 8 PM EST (do have to partake in Halloween festivities :wink: ), and Sunday anytime.

Don't forget this Sunday at 2 AM we turn back the clocks! Finally I can catch up on sleep :-D

McNerdy

Chips, crisps, and biscuits!

Manager
Manager
Schools: HEC Paris, , Tepper
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 8

Re: Calling all Female MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2009, 17:51
Hi!
Another female MBA application hoping to start Sept '10. Have just started a troop of actions to get ready for the application rounds.

I am wondering if anyone has given a thought on how to make your gender a distinguishing advantage in your essays, interview etc? I mean there are a couple of obvious reasons why you should consider the female gender an advantage:

-it is underrepresented among the MBA world (as it has been discussed in earlier threads)
-schools are looking for diversity

However as it has been also pointed out earlier, being female is not an advantage per se, but only works if you are truly good. But if you are indeed accomplished and female, I think this will stand out better than your similarly accomplished male applicant.

I'm just trying to figure out how I can make the "gender advantage" card work best and will appreciate any thoughts you can share.

Thanks.

If you like my post, a kudos is not expected but appreciated

Current Student
Schools: Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 12

Re: Calling all Female MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2009, 05:44
I honestly don't think the "gender card" exists to the level that it's an advantage anymore. Many schools have near 40% (some over 40%) female enrollment, not the disparity that once existed; and if you look at the profile thread, the female profiles in there are extremely strong. Just being a female is not enough to get you into a top school anymore, especially when many women now have the 700+ GMATs, 3.6 GPA's, strong leadership and work experience. With the number of women applying, gender is no longer some distinctive trait.

What you may want to focus on is just selling yourself and your accomplishments, regardless of your sex.

My story of an average chick who stumbled into the 700+ club
700-clubbers-add-your-name-to-the-list-64636-100.html#p600519
My 2009-2010 Application Decisions
2010-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-78475.html?view-post=600694#p600694

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling all Female MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2009, 08:51
All this talk about the number of female bschool students going up is really interesting. I wonder if we'll finally break even this year. I think we're seeing a higher of ratio of female applicants bc of how bad the economy is and many male applicants come from finance or IT for finance companies, both of which have been decimated.

Almostfamous, I think it’ll be important to highlight your quantitative strengths since many female applicants come from backgrounds that are less quant intensive than male applicants.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Female MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2009, 19:35
Hey pls add me too..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 36

Re: Calling all Female MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 19:30
I started joining the chat every afternoon (3-6 est) and evening (8-10 est) in the last couple of weeks - if you are available, feel free to jump in. Hoping we will actually gain critical mass at one point to have most of us from here in the chat.

Tips: best-app-tips-77803-80.html#p610423
GMAT experience: gmat-710-q47-v41-what-worked-and-what-didn-t-81055.html#p608295
Telling your story: storytelling-82064.html#p615567
Other MBA women: calling-all-female-mba-applicants-84636.html
GMATClub interview practice groups: gmatclub-interview-groups-85902.html#p643929

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford, HBS, INSEAD

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Female MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Nov 2009, 23:53
Hi
I just got done with my GMAT (730, Q49 V40) and now have seriously started thinking about this whole application process. Would love to be a part of this thread. Count me in!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Cornell, Haas, USC, Tepper
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Re: Calling all Female MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2009, 19:28
I am here...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Female MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Dec 2009, 21:09
i am in. 2010 applicant. I have applied three schools so far. MIT, UT-Austin, and Duke. I have interviewed with Austin. Dinged by Duke at R1. I haven't heard anything from MIT yet. Some info sessions I went to mentioned about increasing Female/Male ration in their business schools. I think it is a great advantages for us. Ladies, let us keep trying. We are as good as men and we can do even better.
Current Student
Schools: Cambridge/Judge '11
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Female MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2009, 07:39
Another female applicant here, as well. I'm aiming for a 1-year MBA in the US or UK, beginning in fall 2010.

I just spoke to a Norwegian very competent, smart and driven lady who is wrapping up an EMBA at ESSEC, Paris. She found it very difficult to work in her pre-assigned study group which consisted of only men, mostly French. To her the stereotypical image of a dominant, independent Nordic woman proved to be true, at least in the eyes of her study mates. Apparently they had trouble taking her seriously and this proved to be the most difficult particular thing in the whole EMBA program process. I was very surprised to hear it.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg, Ross, MIT
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 13

Re: Calling all Female MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2009, 10:35
Hi Ladies! Please add my name to the list. I will be applying to Stanford and Berkeley at a minimum.

I'd be curious to know how many of you will be bringing SOs to school. All the "partner" stuff sounds great, then I read more... and I doubt my husband will be signing up for the shoe shopping trips!

Re: female bump, I think women would have a bump as a group as a reflection of diversity in job experience-- ie, assuming it's a representative sample, men are more likely to hold IT/engineering jobs, which seem oversubscribed in the applicant pool.

There's a word for this I'm sure but the Haas app is draining my brain... I'm hoping it's just the 'first application' hump - this is tough!

"It never hurts to help!"

Manager
Manager
Schools: Tuck R1, Darden R1, McCombs R1, Fuqua R2 (Int-w/d)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Female MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Dec 2009, 07:42
You can add me as well.

26F/710GMAT/3.75GPA/4 years WE - the last two in IR/legal for a PE firm

I was accepted at UT-Austin, and have interviewed at Tuck, Emory, and Darden. Probably also going to apply to Fuqua R2.

Don't know about a gender differential with respect to GMAT/GPA, but most admissions reps I've spoken to have suggested that they definetly accepted younger, less experienced women applicants, recognizing women want to get their MBA earlier so they can settle into a career and raise a family.

eekthecat, seems like you want to stay west coast, but if you're bringing your husband to school, you may want to consider Tuck. When I revisited for their Women in Business Conference I met NUMEROUS women who were attending Tuck and had brought their husbands to school. Sounded like the partner events there went beyond the female centric "shoe shopping." That being said, I also had a male second year student say something extremely sexist to me during my interview, but overall it seemed like a campus that embraced women and their partners.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Fuqua

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 15

Re: Calling all Female MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2009, 11:46
Until now, I was contemplating on whether should I apply this year or for next year. Finally made up my mind. So count me in as well.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg, Ross, MIT

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 13

Re: Calling all Female MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2009, 12:11
Thanks for the suggestion smadge! I am sticking to the west coast for this year but if I'm doing this all again next year I will consider it. It looks like a great place to be, although two winters would probably be my limit.

"It never hurts to help!"

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Female MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2009, 18:27
hows the app season going so far for everyone? any advise/tips to share?
Current Student
Schools: Cambridge/Judge '11
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Female MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2009, 06:16
When I compare my first application essays to the ones I'm writing now, I notice a big leap in quality. I'm much more satisfied with these - they're more polished and my thoughts have evolved. It's interesting to see how much I've developed in writing applications. :lol: Also, I'm happy I chose to apply to the tougher schools in R2, not R1.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Female MBA Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2009, 01:49
Hi,
Can you please add me. I will be applying to Foster School.

Thanks!
Re: Calling all Female MBA Applicants   [#permalink] 20 Dec 2009, 01:49