Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 01:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Georgetown 2010 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Schools: Duke, UVA, UNC, Georgetown,
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Georgetown 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2010, 05:44
We'll you'll notice that schools ranked between about 19-30 have pretty close scores so every year there is more volatility compared to the top 10. The recession hit certain schools harder, wharton, ucla, gtown, unc etc. I don't think the slip this year is too representative of school quality, but more representative of how the finance sector affected employment rates.

Regardless of this, schools will adjust (much like a good sports team rebounding from a loss) and the job market will open back up again in 2012. I've submitted my deposit and withdrew from UNC and am not worried about the rankings. I'd rather graduate from gtown when the financial sector is rebounding than from UVA, Duke, Michigan this year or next.

Feel free to disagree.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Georgetown '11
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Georgetown 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2010, 20:26
This post received
KUDOS
hwiya320 wrote:
Sleepy, are you still here?

What do students wear to class? I understand that McDonough has business casual dress code. (I was really hoping to wear my shorts again... guess not...)

Do you see the difference between 1st year students vs. 2nd year students?

It's an obvious answer that students will show up in suits or business outfit for presentation or recruiting events, but I'm curious about the daily classroom dress code.

How about interactions with other students outside of classroom? only on weekdays vs. weekends?

Thanks!

wow....I've been kinda buried under some awesome classes this mod. Tons of fun, but tons of work. Sorry about that.

So, the dress code is "Business Casual." They make a big deal about it at first but it kinda goes out the window half way through mod 1. You don't want to look like an undergrad, so at least look like you know how to dress yourself. Most days I wear jeans and either a polo or a dress shirt and that covers most of my class. Apparently a few years ago they had issues with people wearing ripped t-shirts, etc. so they take a hard line early and then have lax enforcement so everyone ends up at a good middle ground. Since it's been nice recently people have been wearing shorts and you'll see some flip flops from time to time. For the most part people just dress how they want.

On the rankings:
For the most part those rankings are the result of placement issues from 2009. There's basically 2 effects going on here.

First, remember what those rankings represent. They're the class that was admitted in 2007 and graduated in the depths of the crisis. At that time the school was going through a total rebuilding. We hired a new Dean in 2008, have replaced the career management staff, admissions standards and guidelines have changed, etc. We have a great new building and in general things are on their way up. In 2007 our average GMAT was around 650, last year it was 687, this year it will be 695 or 700. Over the past 2 years the school has added literally dozens of new faculty members with backgrounds from top firms and top schools. We are in the final stages of hiring a new director of career management, and trust me....that was necessary.

Also, finance was the first area Georgetown built up a strength in. in 2008 45% of our class went into finance. In 2009: 27%. That's gonna hurt your numbers. This year we have students with internships at: Goldman, Bank of America-Merrill, Citi, JP Morgan, Allen & Company, UBS and a bunch of others. I haven't been looking too hard at finance so I'm not sure where the second years are going, but the internship recruiting for finance has been very strong.

It sucks to see the rankings go down, but I wouldn't place too much stock in the numbers given that there are such issues as the existence of 7-8 top 5 schools. Visit the schools, look at the recruiting profiles and ask questions. Meet the students and talk to them about their experiences. If you can see yourself at the school and you feel comfortable, don't let the rankings sway you too much.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Georgetown 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2010, 21:57
Sleepy wrote:

On the rankings:
For the most part those rankings are the result of placement issues from 2009. There's basically 2 effects going on here.

First, remember what those rankings represent. They're the class that was admitted in 2007 and graduated in the depths of the crisis. At that time the school was going through a total rebuilding. We hired a new Dean in 2008, have replaced the career management staff, admissions standards and guidelines have changed, etc. We have a great new building and in general things are on their way up. In 2007 our average GMAT was around 650, last year it was 687, this year it will be 695 or 700. Over the past 2 years the school has added literally dozens of new faculty members with backgrounds from top firms and top schools. We are in the final stages of hiring a new director of career management, and trust me....that was necessary.

Also, finance was the first area Georgetown built up a strength in. in 2008 45% of our class went into finance. In 2009: 27%. That's gonna hurt your numbers. This year we have students with internships at: Goldman, Bank of America-Merrill, Citi, JP Morgan, Allen & Company, UBS and a bunch of others. I haven't been looking too hard at finance so I'm not sure where the second years are going, but the internship recruiting for finance has been very strong.

It sucks to see the rankings go down, but I wouldn't place too much stock in the numbers given that there are such issues as the existence of 7-8 top 5 schools. Visit the schools, look at the recruiting profiles and ask questions. Meet the students and talk to them about their experiences. If you can see yourself at the school and you feel comfortable, don't let the rankings sway you too much.

Thanks Sleepy--

That was a great explanation. I visited 5 schools that weren't in the top 10 and all of them were "climbing in the rankings". The only school that seemed to really have obvious potential in doing this was Georgetown which is why I was surprised with the drop. I know rankings aren't everything but since everyone looks at them they are somewhat important. I'm no insider in the MBA world but after visiting Georgetown I felt like it is way underrated. Coincidentally, it also happened to be the school that I felt fit me best. I'm confident that Georgetown is going in the right direction but I was worried that maybe I missed something during my visit.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Georgetown, UNC, Emory, GeorgiaTech
WE 1: Product Engineering
WE 2: Logistics & Inventory
WE 3: Product Information & Pricing Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Georgetown 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2010, 03:20
Thanks for the reply sleepy!

is anyone going to the welcoming weekend? could you guys please share your experience?
Current Student
Schools: Columbia, Duke, Georgetown, Emory
WE 1: Marketing

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Georgetown 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2010, 23:03
One issue with the USN rankings is that it does not measure the quality of recruiters for each school. This is why schools like Indiana, Wash U, Minnesota and Ohio State rank in the top 25. Smaller, regional companies may be more likely to give a higher assessment score to new mba's from these local programs, whereas companies like Goldman Sachs and Bain may be more critical of new hires.

Also, if you're coming from a regional school, you may be less willing to wait and test the waters after graduation, so you take the first offer you receive regardless of the strength of the employer, thus enhancing the "employed by graduation" factor.

Personally, I think that the best measure of a school is its long term salary, i.e. the range of salaries after 10-15 years post-graduation. This chart by BW shows just that. http://bwnt.businessweek.com/interactive_reports/mba_pay_2009/. It gives you an idea of how Georgetown stacks up against the rest.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Georgetown, UNC, Emory, GeorgiaTech
WE 1: Product Engineering
WE 2: Logistics & Inventory
WE 3: Product Information & Pricing Manager

Re: Calling all Georgetown 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2010, 09:18
hmm... noone from GC went to the welcoming weekend?
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Georgetown

Kudos [?]: 2 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Georgetown 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2010, 09:38
This post received
KUDOS
hwiya320 wrote:
hmm... noone from GC went to the welcoming weekend?

Sorry, I've been meaning to respond to this! I went to welcome weekend and really enjoyed it. I was impressed with the professor panel and mock class, the alumni panel, and the professionalism of the whole event. I found the current students to be super friendly and helpful and the other admits to be accomplished and friendly as well.

I wasn't as impressed with the career services presentation (I went to the consulting breakout session). The woman heading up career services was the one presenting that portion (the person usually in charge of consulting was in NYC on a career trek) and she didn't really seem to have a long term vision for that department or know much about consulting. However, I've heard that the head of career services is being replaced and I heard good things about the person in charge of consulting careers from students.

Dean Daly does seem to have a clear vision for the future of the school and struck me as a great addition. Obviously the new building is gorgeous and will now allow the school to host events that wouldn't have been possible before. Overall I left feeling that there is a lot of focus on growth and improvement which showed in my interactions with people across the board (students, staff, faculty, Dean, etc).

I'd love to hear the reactions of others! I'm happy to answer any specific questions as well.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Columbia, Duke, Georgetown, Emory
WE 1: Marketing

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 1

Re: Calling all Georgetown 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2010, 10:42
This post received
KUDOS
I also went to Welcome Weekend, and was undecided coming into the event. I had to choose between Georgetown and Emory, which also had a great weekend for admits. Let me just say that this morning I submitted my deposit to Georgetown. I was so impressed with the quality of the professors, who were highly passionate and dedicated to the students. The mock class was funny and very engaging (the finance professor reminded me of Ari Gold). The students were friendlier as were the fellow admits. I also liked that the curriculum was very demanding and challenging, per the first years. I didn't get that vibe at goizueta. At Georgetown I felt that the professors really push you to learn and to excel.

I was equally impressed with the financial services career overview. The person in charge is a no-nonsense, Kellogg MBA who went over, in detail, where students were finding internships and how the center was helping the students find their ideal finance job. Every single bulge-bracket bank was listed, even Goldman, for offers. If you're looking for a high profile finance job, Georgetown will take care of you. (BTW, This was the deciding factor for me)

Lastly, Washington DC was absolutely incredible. The Georgetown area has a London feel, and the people were diverse and seemed highly educated. It is definitely a younger city with a more fast-paced culture. Being in the center of global politics wasn't bad either. All in all, it was an amazing experience.
Current Student

Re: Calling all Georgetown 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 00:16
Nice guys, keep them coming!

Very insightful and helpful, too bad I couldn't make it, but it's good to hear from people who actually made it to the event.

When is Round 3 deciding date? I think our class will grow by at least 100 people from round 3 decisions and all the people who will get off the waitlist.

Also what do you know about the new Career service person? When will he/she come? Will we get to benefit for our first year there?

As far as Goldman, maybe one should be cautious and wait for the shit storm to clear :-)
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Georgetown 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2010, 11:13
Any news from anyone on the waitlist? I know they were saying we'll get an answer no later than May 14th but wondering if anyone's heard anything.
Intern
Intern
Schools: UNC (in) , Georgetown (app R3) , Tuck (dinged)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Georgetown 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2010, 12:23
Had my interview today with a first-year. It was pretty standard but she seemed bored, which could be a reflection on me or her looking forward to the end of this process. I've learned no to read into that too much so we'll see what happens. At least the wait isn't too long.

That building is quite impressive.
Current Student
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Georgetown 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2010, 12:57
coast2coast wrote:
Any news from anyone on the waitlist? I know they were saying we'll get an answer no later than May 14th but wondering if anyone's heard anything.

Haven't heard anything yet. The deadline for accepted R2ers to submit their initial deposits and intentions to enroll is May 1, so I doubt admissions is going to take any action until sometime after that date.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Georgetown '11

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Georgetown 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 May 2010, 19:28
The student government VP of career management confirmed rumors last week that we are getting the director of UT McCombs's career management office. Apparently her husband got transferred to DC for his job and we lucked out. I'm excited to meet her and hear her plans for the future, everyone I've talked to says she's fantastic.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Georgetown 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 May 2010, 06:21
any waitlisters receive any good news? I believe today is the decision date?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Georgetown 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 May 2010, 11:26
This post received
KUDOS
Just got the call about 10 minutes ago. I'm in! The orientation binder/packet is supposed to arrive by the end of the day. (Update: looks like the binder is going to be mailed today...) Looking forward to meeting everyone later in the year!

Best of luck to all of those on the waitlist! A number of first year Georgetown students mentioned on this forum that they were accepted off of the wait list in mid-June, so if you are still on the wait list, stay positive!

Last edited by 2012applicant on 14 May 2010, 13:14, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Georgetown 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 May 2010, 12:08
Received an e-mail about an hour ago. Still on the WL.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Georgetown 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 May 2010, 12:13
Received an email - waitlisted from round 3.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Georgetown 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 14 May 2010, 12:30
Int Student.. Still on the waitlist :( .. Don't know what the chances are now ??
Intern
Intern
Schools: Columbia EA [ding], MIT R1 [ding after deferral], Duke R2 [WL then ding w. interview], Ross R2 [admit], Georgetown R1 [WL, withdraw], Kelley R1 [admit, $$], Simon R1 [admit, $]
WE 1: 2 years Finance
WE 2: 2 years IT (undergrad)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Georgetown 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 May 2010, 04:22
Still on the WL, I haven't interviewed yet, lol.

I'll be going to Ross, so I'll just inform GTown of my withdrawal. Good luck to all still waiting!
Current Student

Re: Calling all Georgetown 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 May 2010, 03:48
2012applicant wrote:
Just got the call about 10 minutes ago. I'm in! The orientation binder/packet is supposed to arrive by the end of the day. (Update: looks like the binder is going to be mailed today...) Looking forward to meeting everyone later in the year!

Best of luck to all of those on the waitlist! A number of first year Georgetown students mentioned on this forum that they were accepted off of the wait list in mid-June, so if you are still on the wait list, stay positive!

Congrats! I knew you would have a happy ending too!

Btw guys I visited the school and DC these last two weeks and they were both great. The school building is unbelievable and the town is gorgeous. You made the right choice believe me!
Re: Calling all Georgetown 2010 Applicants!   [#permalink] 17 May 2010, 03:48