Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 16:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Georgia Tech admits - class of 2010

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Calling all Georgia Tech admits - class of 2010 [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2008, 12:33
Hiya guys,

I am starting this post as I could not find any other Georgia Tech - '10 thread. I just want to see if there are others like me out here.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Georgia Tech admits - class of 2010 [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2008, 13:46
This post received
KUDOS
This is sort of off topic (also posted on the Emory thread)... but I am choosing between Georgia Tech and Emory, both similarly ranked and sized, but with different strengths and just wanted to see what you all thought. I personally want to focus on marketing/strategy. Emory is better known and has better placement in this area, but GT still has a lot of opps as well.

All things the same, I would choose Emory over GT for my goals. However, all things are not the same. I am out of state, and I've been offered a full scholarship from GT (~40k/yr), but will need to pay full tuition for Emory (~60k/yr). I am struggling to justify choosing Emory of GT from a financial perspective.

I just wanted to get some of ya'lls views to see if there is anything I'm missing. This is a pretty big decision careerwise and financially and just wanted to get some additional opinions.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Georgia Tech admits - class of 2010 [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2008, 19:47
I went to both Tech and to Emory. I went to Tech as an undergraduate in Mechanical and in Management. I went to Emory for my MBA. Tech is a great school -- don't get me wrong. However, Emory is stronger in marketing than Tech. Emory's class is larger and more diverse and has a larger MBA alumni base. At this point, money really should not be an issue. Emory's starting salary is higher than Tech's MBA starting salary. So, go to Emory, graduate, and then live within your means on your new high salary, and pay off your student loans.

Bottom line -- Emory is a REAL business school, Tech is a REAL engineering school.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Georgia Tech admits - class of 2010 [#permalink] New post 13 Apr 2008, 09:37
There is no doubt that Emory is a better B-school. I have admits from 4 schools as of now - UW, UIUC (Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign), GaTech and Simon.

I chose GaTech, because they gave me a graduate assistantship and also align with my psot-MBA goal of IT/Consulting. What I have gathered from my research on B-schools is that after the top 10-15 schools it is really up to an individual to get where he wants to, and even after an MBA, the school's name is going to only take you so far.

I guess your choice should be based on what are your post-MBA goals. If you want to get into marketing/finance - Emory would be a better option. But if you want to head towards IT/Consulting domain - Georgia Tech would make sense.

Hope that helps.

Pain is temporary, pride is forever

Re: Calling all Georgia Tech admits - class of 2010   [#permalink] 13 Apr 2008, 09:37