Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [0]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: Operations, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.8
WE:Operations (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling all GMAT Takers who want to cross 700+ in 2016 [#permalink]
Hi Friends, the AWA, IR and Quant were all breezy and i completed Quant section with 6-7 minutes to spare! However, even though the verbal section appeared average and not tough, i somehow bombed and was unable to complete the last 2 questions due to time constraints!

I ended up scoring IR 7, Q49 and V31 with a 660. I may consider re-taking with special focus on verbal some time later. I do not want to rush just for the deadlines this year, may be sometime next year and try to secure a respectable GMAT score.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
WE:General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
HI Guys,

I can relate to all of you so thought that I will share my inputs. I have taken GMAT thrice. and after all the time and money wasted on a number of test prep during my first two attempts(650 and 660) attributable to my Verbal scores, I realised that there is no secret to a high score other than practice. I practiced at least more than 3000 questions after my second attempt and scored a 690 on third, with a respectable IR and AWA score. I felt that I could have easily broken the 700 barrier if I had taken more mocks in the preceding month(stopped taking mocks in the last month, last mock score GMAT prep-720) to build my endurance. That thing was the only reason that stopped me from scoring higher in Verbal in my final attempt.

Also over the course of my last three attempts, I have felt that the Quant on the GMAt is getting tougher each day. I scored 50 in my first to 47 in second to 49 in third. So, my tip on those strong in quant and weak in verbal, don't let your guard down in Quant ever, because that is the only section that will take your score higher, not the verbal. Compare the percentile differences between Q50 and Q49 viz two consecutive scores in Verbal, and you will know why I said so.

My final word is "keep practicing". If you have already spend money on a test prep company and did not succeed, then don't waste money on any other. There is no special GYAN that any company can provide you now. Second, Mocks are only to build endurance and not predict your success, you can score a 660 on your final mock and still reach near to 700 on the real test, or vice versa, as all prep company put their questions on different levels. Finally keep taking mocks till the last week before exam and practice each section(Q, V and IR) daily to maintain your strengths at the acquired level. Hope that helps!!
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Senthil7 wrote:
Hi Friends, the AWA, IR and Quant were all breezy and i completed Quant section with 6-7 minutes to spare! However, even though the verbal section appeared average and not tough, i somehow bombed and was unable to complete the last 2 questions due to time constraints!

I ended up scoring IR 7, Q49 and V31 with a 660. I may consider re-taking with special focus on verbal some time later. I do not want to rush just for the deadlines this year, may be sometime next year and try to secure a respectable GMAT score.

That's so sad...............Non natives are having a damn tough time in scoring verbal.

Looks like our education system methodology has to be revamped for better if not for only GMAT.

I really feel Ironic that we are struggling as if we are learning how to read now after having roughly 20 years of education.

The only soothing aspect of your score is IR.(sadly not of much use :( )

Sorry if my comment hurts you in any way.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
no friend the real reason is fatigue at least in my case. In real examination conditions you are all alone, not in a home or browsing centre environment, the key is to handle verbal section without loss of interest. Most of us can crack quant even with minimal interest / stamina which is not the case with verbal as it involves lots of reading and comprehending. The only way to develop this stamina would be to read a lot I guess and do extra practice with LSAT questions so that solving verbal questions becomes second nature to us!

At least in my case, i lost interest after Q number 10 or so today simple fatigue!

Note : I mentioned LSAT because before my first attempt in which I scored V34 (my ESR showed i got a 71st percentile in CR, 81st percentile in SC but a pathetic 47th percentile in RC), i practiced RC and CR from LSAT and those questions worded similar to GMAT questions but were more tedious.
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Senthil7 wrote:
no friend the real reason is fatigue at least in my case. In real examination conditions you are all alone, not in a home or browsing centre environment, the key is to handle verbal section without loss of interest. Most of us can crack quant even with minimal interest / stamina which is not the case with verbal as it involves lots of reading and comprehending. The only way to develop this stamina would be to read a lot I guess and do extra practice with LSAT questions so that solving verbal questions becomes second nature to us!

At least in my case, i lost interest after Q number 10 or so today simple fatigue!

yes I can understand. Even I ruined my last attempt out of tension.
It is not easy to sit without stress after paying so much money and effort.
surely practice makes one perfect. best example Abdul Kalam. :)
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Hey folks :band

I need a small feedback from the people who follow this page(if any) whether Links I post are of any use.
It would be great if anyone can post their opinion on this.
We can make this page more active. :panel
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 91
Send PM
Hello all! My aim is 700+ in 2017.

I'm not native speaker of English language, and, consequently, the most challenging parts for me are RC and SC. I know, that I'm able to achieve 100% at quantitative part (my school major was math) and CR (because it uses more logics than language), but RC and SC are really tough for me.

The most hard part for me is a vocabulary. I noticed that when I'm translating all unfamiliar words (so that, a passage became really clear for me) I'm able to answer even to hard questions. And I started to prepare to GMAT beginning from RC. I'm trying to learn some vocabulary lists, I'm trying to read as many pages as I can during the day, but still I'm finding tough vocabulary words, for example, describing some insect things, which even are not in any GMAT vocabulary lists. Does anyone has a similar problem?
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Terabyte wrote:
Hello all! My aim is 700+ in 2017.

I'm not native speaker of English language, and, consequently, the most challenging parts for me are RC and SC. I know, that I'm able to achieve 100% at quantitative part (my school major was math) and CR (because it uses more logics than language), but RC and SC are really tough for me.

The most hard part for me is a vocabulary. I noticed that when I'm translating all unfamiliar words (so that, a passage became really clear for me) I'm able to answer even to hard questions. And I started to prepare to GMAT beginning from RC. I'm trying to learn some vocabulary lists, I'm trying to read as many pages as I can during the day, but still I'm finding tough vocabulary words, for example, describing some insect things, which even are not in any GMAT vocabulary lists. Does anyone has a similar problem?

Welcome to the gmat club(Since this seems to be your first post here.)

Most of the non-natives encounter the same problem in case of verbal.
But there is no other alternative except hard-work and strong will.
All the best for your journey. :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Given Kudos: 212
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V23
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Nevernevergiveup wrote:

Nice articles. Thanks buddy :) I'm planning to get a 700+ by 2016 so that i can apply in round 2.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 310
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
WE:Supply Chain Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Nevernevergiveup wrote:

Great articles! Especially the Verbal one.
I have been pretty closely mimicking these steps on my own already, but it is nice to see it more refined.

Thank you for sharing
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5