Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 08:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all HBS 2+2 2010 applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 219 [1] , given: 6

Re: A few questions from prospective HBS 2+2 applicant [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 13:00
This post received
KUDOS
Ivan91 wrote:
My family is wealthy enough to send me.Well, even if it is not particularly helpful, it cant hurt, right ? At least it will be regarded as some kind of extra curricular activity.Not I do it just to make my resume perfect but I guess it is better than just waste money in some summer resort in Spain and do nothing ..

How about....hear me out.... a summer internship? Working. Learning about a job and whether you want to do it rather than building the ideal resume of schools and castles in the sky.

Doing summer internships is really valuable - you invariably will not be as big a disaster when you start working. You learn whether things entertain you. You build your resume with stuff that actually involves commitment rather than cashflow. You get to see the delighted look in your parents eyes when you stun them by not coming and asking for money and fending for yourself.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.88
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 63 [0], given: 1

Re: A few questions from prospective HBS 2+2 applicant [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 13:55
3underscore wrote:
Ivan91 wrote:
My family is wealthy enough to send me.Well, even if it is not particularly helpful, it cant hurt, right ? At least it will be regarded as some kind of extra curricular activity.Not I do it just to make my resume perfect but I guess it is better than just waste money in some summer resort in Spain and do nothing ..

How about....hear me out.... a summer internship? Working. Learning about a job and whether you want to do it rather than building the ideal resume of schools and castles in the sky.

Doing summer internships is really valuable - you invariably will not be as big a disaster when you start working. You learn whether things entertain you. You build your resume with stuff that actually involves commitment rather than cashflow. You get to see the delighted look in your parents eyes when you stun them by not coming and asking for money and fending for yourself.

This is absolutely, without-a-doubt, 100% correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 39

Re: A few questions from prospective HBS 2+2 applicant [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 14:03
Yep, I will definitely think about it.
What about an internship at my dad`s firm ?
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: HLS
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

Re: A few questions from prospective HBS 2+2 applicant [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 17:41
I know a lot of the offices in Europe actually take freshmen as interns (as opposed to just rising juniors and seniors) so try to land something that piques your interest or something that you want to try out for the sake of seeing the hype -- e.g. banking.

You'll probably hate it and when you get that signing bonus, you'll convince yourself that you love it and you learn so much from it. That's a different story, anyway.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: HLS

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

Re: A few questions from prospective HBS 2+2 applicant [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 17:58
Or conduct research with a faculty member at your school over the summer. great experience and a great way to know what really interests and what doesn't
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
Followers: 349

Kudos [?]: 1415 [0], given: 196

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all HBS 2+2 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2010, 10:12
I wouldn't really recommend an internship at your dad's firm. First off, without sounding rude, I really think you should brush up on your English.

As an applicant to the 2+2 program myself, I know that it's a great opportunity and all that, but deciding this early to apply to business school isn't really wise. What are your goals after business school? What do you want to do with your life? Why are you so willing to shape 4 years of your undergraduate education just to raise your chances, if at all that, at a program which you don't know for sure will be in existence in 4 years time?

Ask yourself all this. I am only about a year older than you age wise, but practically speaking, I moved to a different country when I was 17 and by myself. That kind of unsettling experience can push you to levels of maturity that is almost unnatural for a person my age. However, when I heard about the 2+2, though I loved it, I've still done what I wanted to. You don't even know what college life is like, let alone business school aspirations.

Summer school is helpful only if you learn something from it. Else it's just seen as a display of wealth, if at all that. If you really like the course you're doing there, then yes. But don't just take it for the sake of taking.

Having said all this, it's by no means to be taken as discouragement from applying to that program. Just saying that you need to get your head back in place and focus on one thing at a time. Next summer is a year away. Focus on what you want to do between now and then first.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all HBS 2+2 2010 applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2010, 05:31
I am an international student.
Finished my high school and performed voluntary work for 4 years, and after applied for bachelor in energy. Next summer I will be on my 2nd from 3 year of study. GPA: 3,6; GMAT: 700 & Awards + Active participation in Social Projects.

Do you think I have good chances for 2+2, should I apply for it ?
Thank you...
Re: Calling all HBS 2+2 2010 applicants   [#permalink] 27 Aug 2010, 05:31