Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:10 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 673 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
 Q48  V33 GMAT 2: 670  Q46  V36 GMAT 3: 720  Q49  V40
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 673 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
 Q48  V33 GMAT 2: 670  Q46  V36 GMAT 3: 720  Q49  V40
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 142 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Send PM
Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink]
dwivedys wrote:
Are you guys in for HBS round 1 or planning to defer to round 2? I have completed all my essays and recos - yet my career vision essay is not panning out properly. Now I don't want to give it an admissions consulting twist here but I would like to just take feedback on how many of you have struggled with the vision part? Especially people who have 7+ years of experience. I am open for a PM chat with anyone who so desires.

From various feedback I've gotten on HBS apps, they suggest you shy away from the career vision essay unless your career vision is particularly unique or interesting. If you're on the older side, the undergraduate essay might be a good way of giving you some "youth credentials." Just a thought!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GPA: 3.4 Ivy
WE 1: 3 years for major bank
Send PM
Moss wrote:
dwivedys wrote:
Are you guys in for HBS round 1 or planning to defer to round 2? I have completed all my essays and recos - yet my career vision essay is not panning out properly. Now I don't want to give it an admissions consulting twist here but I would like to just take feedback on how many of you have struggled with the vision part? Especially people who have 7+ years of experience. I am open for a PM chat with anyone who so desires.

From various feedback I've gotten on HBS apps, they suggest you shy away from the career vision essay unless your career vision is particularly unique or interesting. If you're on the older side, the undergraduate essay might be a good way of giving you some "youth credentials." Just a thought!

Where have you seen this? everything I've seen has suggested doing the career vision essay or at least has not discouraged it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Wharton, Columbia, Sloan
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Jeanette wrote:
Moss wrote:
dwivedys wrote:

Where have you seen this? everything I've seen has suggested doing the career vision essay or at least has not discouraged it.

Strategically it does make sense to answer questions that adds the most value to ones application. However, the actual choice of essay would differ from person to person. Don't you guys think that logically, it wouldn't be fair for the HBS admissions to give us a choice and then favor one option over the other?

Therefore, i dont think any one essay is preferred/not preferred.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
minime2 wrote:
Strategically it does make sense to answer questions that adds the most value to ones application. However, the actual choice of essay would differ from person to person. Don't you guys think that logically, it wouldn't be fair for the HBS admissions to give us a choice and then favor one option over the other?

Therefore, i dont think any one essay is preferred/not preferred.

While I agree with you -- no essay choice should automatically be disfavored by the adcomms, that doesn't quite go far enough. It is likely that certain essay topics will be better or worse for the most applicants.

Clearly they think each essay has its place and that there will be successful applicants who write on each of the topics... there probably will be successful applicants who write on each of the combination (though the academic+introduce yourself combo would not be something i'd suggest).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:HBS (admit), MIT (admit)
Send PM
Does anyone know if it is possible for a recommender to go back in and edit his or her recommendation after it's already been submitted electronically to HBS? I got an email from my recommender asking that this morning and I have no idea. Thought I'd check with the GMAT Club gurus before I call HBS...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
My LOR writer is reviewing their HBS submission, but what is says is a bit confusing. It says to limit "answer all three questions in 1 document and on one page." All three questions have a 250-word limit, and if my LOR writer gets close to that limit on all three questions they're going to be well over 1-page for all three answers. It also says that "letters over 1 page in length are strongly discouraged."

I haven't heard of the 1 page limit before -- have you guys heard of this situation before? Am I interpreting this correctly?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Moss wrote:
My LOR writer is reviewing their HBS submission, but what is says is a bit confusing. It says to limit "answer all three questions in 1 document and on one page." All three questions have a 250-word limit, and if my LOR writer gets close to that limit on all three questions they're going to be well over 1-page for all three answers. It also says that "letters over 1 page in length are strongly discouraged."

I haven't heard of the 1 page limit before -- have you guys heard of this situation before? Am I interpreting this correctly?

You can do one of 2 things:
1) Ask him/her to decrease the margins, you would be surprised how much you can fit on 1 page with tight margins
2) Ask him/her to remove the questions and just include number of question

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I think this may be worth of a summary on the first post. From the blog:

Quote:
Every year we hear comments (OK, "complaints" would be more accurate) about the anxiety our invite-to-interview process causes. So, we're going to do it differently this year. Let me walk you through Round One:

October 1 - deadline for receiving online applications
October 15 - November 3 - interview invitations will be issued via email
November 3 - all candidates not invited to interview will receive either a decision indicating that "we are unable to offer you a place in the Class of 2013" or an invitation to join our waitlist
November 1 - 21 - interview weeks, both on and off campus
December 14 - decision notification (admit, deny, or waitlist) for all interviewed candidates
While no one applies hoping for a "deny" decision, we have heard you say that the worst case is the uncertainty which can extend from October through mid-December. So we're trying this to see if it helps. Yes, it means that we will be making decisions faster. Yes, we have the resources to ensure a thorough review of all written applications before rendering any decisions. All applications will be reviewed at least twice before any decision is made. Our Admissions Board is fully staffed and able to implement this new model. We hope this new approach will allow denied candidates to re-direct energy toward Round Two applications to other schools.

All those invited to join our waitlist are candidates whom we would like to "further consider." Our plan is for waitlisted candidates to receive further consideration in Round Two. We expect all to receive a final decision with the Round Two notification date in late March. We completely understand if such a candidate would elect to withdraw his/her application.

I promise that all letters will clearly communicate a candidate's status!

If this new system works well, we will replicate it in Round Two.

To me, this sounds great. I'll know by November 3rd whether I at least have a shot of admission. If I don't have a shot, I'd by far rather not keep pretending like I do for another month and a half. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if doing this accelerated schedule means they waitlist a few more people, but who knows.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V47
Send PM
In for R1, excited/nervous to see how this plays out.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:HBS - Class of 2012
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Kudos
Moss wrote:

My recommenders each submitted 3 pages reco with each question having 250-300 words answer (so each page was ~50% full). I don't see how you can fit 3 answers and 250 words limit on one page anyway.

Don't stress on that
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Magellan wrote:
Moss wrote:

My recommenders each submitted 3 pages reco with each question having 250-300 words answer (so each page was ~50% full). I don't see how you can fit 3 answers and 250 words limit on one page anyway.

Don't stress on that

I asked my recommenders about the length of their letters after reading this and one pf them wrote 2+1/2 pages, and the others 2 pages each.... no one paid attention to the 1 page length nor considered the 250 words as strict limit :(
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:HBS - Class of 2012
 Q49  V40
Send PM
rid82 wrote:
Magellan wrote:
Moss wrote:

Don't stress on that

I asked my recommenders about the length of their letters after reading this and one pf them wrote 2+1/2 pages, and the others 2 pages each.... no one paid attention to the 1 page length nor considered the 250 words as strict limit :(

Well, you are not supposed to monitor what your recommenders are going to submit. They are basically free to submit what they want. In my view, it would not be fair to "punish" an applicant because his/her recommenders did not comply with guidelines. If they had relevant (and hopefully positive) stuffs to say about you during 2.5 pages, I am sure it is fine.

That being said, if a recommender submits 8 pages, AdCom may question the validity of the recommender :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Another follow-up on probably frivolous page length questions (whose answers nonetheless help me sleep easy at night knowing I didn't torpedo myself on some simple issue):

So my essays are in Calibri size 11 with a big header at the top indicating which question and the title of the question. This combined with the generous size of Calibri 11 bump every essay to two pages (but only about a paragraph onto page 2 for the 400-word essays).

Should I condense the 400-word essays to be all on one page? Does it matter? Help a neurotic GMATClubber to not freak out on day t-1!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Moss wrote:
Another follow-up on probably frivolous page length questions (whose answers nonetheless help me sleep easy at night knowing I didn't torpedo myself on some simple issue):

So my essays are in Calibri size 11 with a big header at the top indicating which question and the title of the question. This combined with the generous size of Calibri 11 bump every essay to two pages (but only about a paragraph onto page 2 for the 400-word essays).

Should I condense the 400-word essays to be all on one page? Does it matter? Help a neurotic GMATClubber to not freak out on day t-1!

The essays are word not page specific so far as I know.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Yes but from a paper use and aesthetics perspective, having it all on one concise page may be preferred.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Moss wrote:
Yes but from a paper use and aesthetics perspective, having it all on one concise page may be preferred.

Too anal retentive. Your resume should generally be on one page, but I don't think having an essay on a single page or whatever will make a lick of difference.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3468 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
Send PM
True that. I missed out on all the good discussion here.

dwivedys: I'm kind of on the other end of the spectrum - 2+2 applicant :)

Good luck guys! Roster updated. Please keep updating the Google Doc!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  147   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts