Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Apr 2014, 21:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2010, 17:08
rafromero wrote:
ACLTM wrote:
Did their email explicitly mention whether you are in for r1/r2? I thought their email was supposed to mention that but mine only repeated the deadlines.
Thanks

Mine did not but I assume that since application and LOR were sent on time we should be considered for r1

The confirmation email mentions "All applications submitted by 12;00noon(Boston time) on Friday, October 1, 2010 will be considered in Round 1. Applications received after 12:00noon on October 1 will be considered in Round 2."

I'm guessing that means if you receive the confirmation email before noon on Oct 1, then you are in R1. Did anyone else receive an additional email besides the one with subject line Application Submission?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross 2013
WE 1: 4 yrs Management Consulting
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2010, 17:42
mysamgmatclub wrote:
rafromero wrote:
ACLTM wrote:
Did their email explicitly mention whether you are in for r1/r2? I thought their email was supposed to mention that but mine only repeated the deadlines.
Thanks

Mine did not but I assume that since application and LOR were sent on time we should be considered for r1

The confirmation email mentions "All applications submitted by 12;00noon(Boston time) on Friday, October 1, 2010 will be considered in Round 1. Applications received after 12:00noon on October 1 will be considered in Round 2."

I'm guessing that means if you receive the confirmation email before noon on Oct 1, then you are in R1. Did anyone else receive an additional email besides the one with subject line Application Submission?

I hope that is true. But the rest of the email does state:

"Please note that your application is not complete until your recommenders have submitted their online recommendation forms. It is your responsibiliy to ensure that your recommenders complete this process in time to meet the round deadline."

I just hope this still are considering me for R1!
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS (admit), MIT (admit)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2010, 11:21
In for Round 1.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '15 (S)
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 10:24
there s an update on the online form saying that the application is under process.... so wait is on..... :-D

post if anyone has any updated... atb
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 63

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 10:42
gc329xyz wrote:
there s an update on the online form saying that the application is under process.... so wait is on..... :-D

Confirm I got the same msg!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 11:31
Moss wrote:
gc329xyz wrote:

Confirm I got the same msg!

Mine says the following:

"Submission Status: Submitted
Submitted Date: 9/30/2010 10:38:00 AM EST
Your application is under review. MBA Admissions will contact you if we need further information. Please note that this field will not change again until the notification date. "
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 12:13
Does anyone know what percentage of of interviewees actually get admitted?

I also submitted for R1 last friday.
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3 years for major bank
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 33

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 12:23
CollegeContender wrote:
Does anyone know what percentage of of interviewees actually get admitted?

I also submitted for R1 last friday.

In the past, 60%. Roughly 1800 interviews for 900 spots (keeping in mind a ~90% yield). I'm not sure how the 2+2 program has changed this.
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 321

Kudos [?]: 1271 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2010, 13:25
The inaugural cohort of 2+2 will be entering HBS next Fall, so that's when we might begin seeing changes - next year's admission rates. Also, an interesting article on the Crimson about the 2+2 cohort of this year had this to say:

Quote:
Harvard Business School admitted 12 percent of applicants to the school’s 2+2 Program this year—the lowest acceptance rate since the program’s inception three years ago. Yesterday afternoon, 100 seniors received e-mails notifying them of their admission to the 2015 cohort of the HBS 2 + 2 Program.

This year, 828 college juniors—a slight decrease from 844 last year—applied to the 2 + 2 Program, which requires accepted students to work for 2 years after graduation before entering Harvard Business School, according to Managing Director of MBA Admissions and Financial Aid Deirdre C. Leopold. Last year, 115 students, or 14 percent, were admitted.

“This is a strong pool and not getting into 2 + 2 definitely does not mean that HBS is not in your future,” Leopold said of students who were not accepted to the program. “This is one vehicle, one moment in time.”

The 2 + 2 Program is designed to attract undergraduates with backgrounds that do not fit the traditional business school student profile, according to the program’s website. In the 2015 cohort, 60 percent of admitted students have engineering, hard sciences, or technical undergraduate majors, according to Leopold, up from 50 percent last year. Of the remaining admits, 6 percent are business undergraduate majors and 34 percent study humanities and social sciences.

“Directionally, that’s intentional,” Leopold said.

Next fall will be a seminal year for the program, as the first cohort admitted to 2 + 2 in the fall of 2008 enters Harvard Business School, Leopold said.

“This is a big year watching these 2013 be mainstreamed into the Class of 2013,” Leopold said. “It’ll be exciting.”

While Leopold said the program is not “designed for Harvard College,” around 20 Harvard students are represented in this year’s class.

Amelia H. Lin ’11, a physics concentrator admitted to the program, said she has been involved with start-ups for the past two summers and hopes to spend the next two years working at an early-stage start-up in Silicon Valley. As someone who comes from a non-traditional business background, she said she feels “an added measure of confidence” knowing she will have a formalized business learning experience after two years in the start-up world.

Although Sachin Gupta ’11, another admitted student concentrating in Applied Math, said he is unsure of his plans at the moment, he is confident Harvard Business School will prepare him to lead organizations in the future.

“Acceptance into 2+2 has afforded me a lot more freedom in considering my plans for the next few years,” he said.

Anna Marie Wagner ’11, an admitted student who switched into the Applied Math concentration from Molecular and Cellular Biology, said she is excited about the opportunity to explore more career paths in the next two years.

“Getting into 2+2 really allows you to pursue something you’re passionate about, as opposed to the more traditional options, such as finance or consulting,” Wagner said.

The article can be found here: HBS Admits 100 to the 2+2 Program

It's interesting that a fifth of the admits are from Harvard College. But it's good to know that there is still a chance for people like me =)
Current Student
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 151

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 06:39
Not sure if you all were aware of this. Good news, on November 3rd we'll we know if we are dinged or not. Interview invitations will be send between October 15th and November 3rd.

To Round One Applicants

Every year we hear comments (OK, "complaints" would be more accurate) about the anxiety our invite-to-interview process causes. So, we're going to do it differently this year. Let me walk you through Round One:

* October 1 - deadline for receiving online applications
* October 15 - November 3 - interview invitations will be issued via email
* November 3 - all candidates not invited to interview will receive either a decision indicating that "we are unable to offer you a place in the Class of 2013" or an invitation to join our waitlist
* November 1 - 21 - interview weeks, both on and off campus
* December 14 - decision notification (admit, deny, or waitlist) for all interviewed candidates

While no one applies hoping for a "deny" decision, we have heard you say that the worst case is the uncertainty which can extend from October through mid-December. So we're trying this to see if it helps. Yes, it means that we will be making decisions faster. Yes, we have the resources to ensure a thorough review of all written applications before rendering any decisions. All applications will be reviewed at least twice before any decision is made. Our Admissions Board is fully staffed and able to implement this new model. We hope this new approach will allow denied candidates to re-direct energy toward Round Two applications to other schools.

All those invited to join our waitlist are candidates whom we would like to "further consider." Our plan is for waitlisted candidates to receive further consideration in Round Two. We expect all to receive a final decision with the Round Two notification date in late March. We completely understand if such a candidate would elect to withdraw his/her application.

I promise that all letters will clearly communicate a candidate's status!

If this new system works well, we will replicate it in Round Two.

Source: http://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/blog.html#post-2010-09-20

Club-MBA - Comunidad MBA en español | Mi Blog "Mi MBA en Chicago Booth"

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 07:16
I've noticed some chatter about this, but not clear standard. Do the people who get earlier interview notifications have a "higher" chance of acceptance? Or does it not matter the timing of the notification within the interview period?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 05 Oct 2010, 08:40
checked many forums incl hbs website... no relation between timing of interview and chances of getting selected... this time they seems to follow a different process, they are givin out proper timelines for getting interview invites... would be of help to R2 applicants
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 63

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 06:18
Anyone else get an email from HBS saying that their app was under review?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 06:29
yep, I got one reminding my of the r1 schedule. my heart jumped a bit with the subject title. i need to calm down.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 06:36
same here...
Manager
Manager
Schools: Oxford R1(ding), INSEAD R2(Admit), HBS R2(admit), LBS R2(ding w/interview)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 07:09
Quick question -

I went to an HBS information session, and they said that HBS regards having a colleague as one of your recommenders as a soft option. I have one direct supervisor, one indirect supervisor, and one colleague as recommenders (I'm applying for R2). Now, I want to remove my colleague's recommendation and ask someone else - but the delete button is no longer available as my colleague has already submitted the recommendation.

Is it possible to have it removed so that I can get someone else to write a recommendation instead?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 07:11
Moss wrote:
Anyone else get an email from HBS saying that their app was under review?

Yes, I got it too.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 07:49
whoa! HBS is sending out interview invites starting Oct 15-Nov 3! Oct 15 seems so soon :P
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 11:53
Forgot to single space my essays. Am I toast?
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS Class of 2013
WE 1: 3 yr Healthcare

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 22

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 16:53
tedross wrote:
Forgot to single space my essays. Am I toast?

How did you format it? Should not be too bad if it's not too obviously different.
To make you feel better, I now notice several minor mistakes in my essays too. :cry:
Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2)   [#permalink] 06 Oct 2010, 16:53