Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 20:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 06 Oct 2010, 21:55
Cille wrote:
Quick question -

I went to an HBS information session, and they said that HBS regards having a colleague as one of your recommenders as a soft option. I have one direct supervisor, one indirect supervisor, and one colleague as recommenders (I'm applying for R2). Now, I want to remove my colleague's recommendation and ask someone else - but the delete button is no longer available as my colleague has already submitted the recommendation.

Is it possible to have it removed so that I can get someone else to write a recommendation instead?

Don't quote me to this, but I believe you can change your recommenders (referees) till the point you submit. As for a submitted recommendation you will need to work with the admissions office to discard what was submitted and re-register someone. I'm sure situations change and they'll appreciate your diligence (given that you're applying for R2).

Good luck and keep us posted on how it goes for you.

Cheers!
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 07:42
Interview w. me on Poets & Quants website, and some great tips on applying to HBS.
This website is also worth exploring
http://poetsandquants.com/2010/09/23/the-rebel-savant-of-mba-admissions-consulting/

AskSandy--the HBS guru
http://hbsguru.com
app + essay advice, free profile evaluation
GREAT HBS MOCK INTERVIEW service.

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 07:52
HBS MOCK INTERVIEWS
I DO A LOT OF THEM
I CAN HELP YOU

I did over 100 mock interviews for HBS last year.
Over the past 10 years, I have probably done over 800-1000 HBS mock interviews. My knowledge of how to prepare you for an HBS mock interview is based on those experiences.
I know typical HBS questions, including questions often asked of investment bankers, private equity, venture capital and hedge fund associates, and questions asked to those employed in non-profits, the military, manufacturing, and technology.
I know how to help you formulate your core story in ways which can be applied to many questions.
I can predict trouble areas in your application and help you come up with talking points to deal with them.
I can sense what your particular needs are in terms of presentation, for example, if you don't get to the point soon enough (a possibly fatal habit) or if you appear too aggressive or too arrogant or confident in the wrong way for often thin-skinned (and just plain thin) HBS interviewers (some of whom are predisposed not to like bankers).
I can help you create a back story for your goals which creates a solid platform for Why MBA, Why HBS?
I can help you prepare a strong answer to the question "Why should we take you?" This questions is often asked in several forms:
"What can YOU contribute to case method discussion based on background and experience?"
"How will your classmates remember you?"
"How have you grown as a leader?"
I can calm you down, although that will not be the first thing that happens.
I can help you formulate answers to 'ice-breaker' questions such as:
"I already know you from your application, just tell me what you think the three defining moments in your life are?"
"Pretend I have not read your application and I just met you. Tell me who you are, what you've done, and where you want to be 15 years?"
I can help prepare you to face such recently popular questions as:
"What is one thing that is not immediately apparent about you to others?"
"How would your friends describe you?"
"How has the financial crisis impacted you, your friends, your industry and your goals?"
THE PROCESS:THE MOCK INTERVIEW IS DONE BY PHONE.
If you want a mock HBS interview, send me an email to hbsguru@gmail.com, telling me when your interview is, what time zone you are in, what days and times are good for you, and attaching a resume. I will reply back w. dates and times, etc. Then you send me a pdf of your application. Mock interviews take about 60-70 minutes. The price is $300.00 dollars USD. You pay me when we speak and do the interview.

Some quick testimonials here, others are at the link below
http://hbsguru.com/prices.html#4[/url]
Sandy was just an unbelievable resource for me in my preparation for the interview. In one 90 minute conversation, Sandy helped me figure out my pitch, told me exactly what mistakes I would be prone to making, and got me very comfortable with the universe of questions that I would be facing. It was terrific preparation for the interview, but the session has changed how I approach interviews in general. Sandy's candid insights about how I come across have helped me develop my sense of self-awareness, and genuinely were a great contributor to being accepted to Harvard Business School.

AskSandy--the HBS guru

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 09:04
does anyone know if there's a consolidated spreadsheet with profiles of all of the people that were accepted or denied to HBS on this forum from last year?
Current Student
Affiliations: CBS '13
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 10:39
hbsguru wrote:
Interview w. me on Poets & Quants website, and some great tips on applying to HBS.
This website is also worth exploring
http://poetsandquants.com/2010/09/23/the-rebel-savant-of-mba-admissions-consulting/

Now, I see why you think being a practicing lawyer has no chance of getting accepted to b-school, cos you went to such a TTT law school yourself.
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 337

Kudos [?]: 1376 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 10:47
greenchicken wrote:
does anyone know if there's a consolidated spreadsheet with profiles of all of the people that were accepted or denied to HBS on this forum from last year?

Here: group43357.html

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 11:05
HAHA
reason I think being a practicing lawyer is a negative at H and S is based on outcomes of MANY MANY applications I am famil. with of practicing lawyers. They are often too old and cannot present powerful reasons for MBA. Many,if you scratch a bit, seem like legal burnouts. It is esp. diff. for practicing lawyers who are 4+ years out, but diff for all.

AskSandy--the HBS guru

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
GPA: 3.34
WE: General Management (Military & Defense)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 17:43
hbsguru wrote:
[color=#0000FF][b]
Over the past 10 years, I have probably done over 800-1000 HBS mock interviews.

Funny thing... I have Skype set up on my computer such that it recognizes phone number on websites, and turns them into links for Skype to dial. It thought your stat above was a phone number. Maybe you should set up a new line?

Btw, Sandy, I enjoy your posts here and on B-week forums. Please keep it up.

Square
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 295

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2010, 22:36
Thinking about submitting for Round 2.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Professional Engineers (Ontario)
WE 1: Nuclear Consultant - 3+ years

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 05:03
I am in for Round 2. Please update roll call.

One Life, One Chance

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 07:58
HBS AND STANFORD ADCOM INTERVIEWS IN Poets and Quants BLOG

great very recent interviews w. Dee Leopold (HBS adcom) and Derric Bolton (Stanford adcom--altho full of the party line, some valuable information, esp. Bolton's pt that many kids get into Stanford 'despite' essays, and Dee's pt. that
HBS is looking for kids who fit in, rather than standing out, so don't feel you need to wear a "funny hat" in your HBS application, or be different, just do what all the kids do, except be really good at it. (my paraphrase) read interviews and decide for yourself.

STANFORD
http://poetsandquants.com/2010/10/06/stanford%e2%80%99s-b-school-gatekeeper-predicts-application-decline/

HBS
http://poetsandquants.com/2010/09/04/the-worlds-most-powerful-mba-admissions-director/

AskSandy--the HBS guru

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 08 Oct 2010, 08:03
ahem, also worth reading, as a chaser to Dee and Bolton party line interviews, interview w. hbsguru :arrow: http://poetsandquants.com/2010/09/23/th ... onsulting/

AskSandy--the HBS guru

Manager
Manager
Schools: Ross 2013
WE 1: 4 yrs Management Consulting

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 09:56
in for R1
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton, Columbia, Sloan
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 11:25
4 Days to go!!!! :band
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 109 [0], given: 63

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 13:01
minime2 wrote:

Anxiety flows over me in an awesome wave.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3 years for major bank
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 33

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 13:50
minime2 wrote:

Well, 4 days to go until the first people get invitations. Personally, I look at it as two and a half weeks to go before I know for sure if I'm moving on to the next stage (unless I get waitlisted, of course).

Otherwise, even if I get an invite, I'm just setting myself up for an anticlimax on Friday! Build, Build, Build... oh wait. nothing?
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 337

Kudos [?]: 1376 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2010, 14:09
Haha, good luck guys! By the time I get anywhere in the admissions process, you guys will be far from it. :)
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2010, 05:51
Jeanette wrote:

Well, 4 days to go until the first people get invitations. Personally, I look at it as two and a half weeks to go before I know for sure if I'm moving on to the next stage (unless I get waitlisted, of course).

Otherwise, even if I get an invite, I'm just setting myself up for an anticlimax on Friday! Build, Build, Build... oh wait. nothing?

Well.. it's 4 (now 3) days to go for when I start refreshing my email 10 times/sec. Also, it wouldn't be too bad hearing about other people getting an interview invite even if I don't. I hope you get an invite on friday so that you have a reason to celebrate! All the best :)
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2010, 05:54
3 Days to go!!!! :band
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3 years for major bank
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 33

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 12 Oct 2010, 06:57
minime2 wrote:
Jeanette wrote:

Well.. it's 4 (now 3) days to go for when I start refreshing my email 10 times/sec. Also, it wouldn't be too bad hearing about other people getting an interview invite even if I don't. I hope you get an invite on friday so that you have a reason to celebrate! All the best :)

That's a good way to look at it. 3 days until the first GMATClubber gets an invitation to interview (probably).
Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2)   [#permalink] 12 Oct 2010, 06:57