Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 06:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 08:35
This post received
KUDOS
Just got an invite.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 14

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 08:36
This post received
KUDOS
Holy crap, I just got mine too! Yippee! :D

FindIt - http://www.getfindit.com

My blog - http://www.shoescount.com

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Harvard, Wharton, Kellogg
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 08:47
This post received
KUDOS
Got the invite! :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE: Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 14

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 11:02
This post received
KUDOS
Jeanette wrote:
From the BW forum, there are a few stats (we'd have more if someone didn't tell the don't-post-very-oftens [most under 10 posts] that they have to go back, access a spreadsheet and update from there... hint: don't do that, please. Your over zealous spam protection keeps us from getting information).

Anyway, these were the stats:

1. 26 female Ivy undergrad (H/Y/P), 3.9 GPA, 760 GMAT, 2 years consulting M/B/B, 2 years P.E. at top firm. Decent extracurriculars and international charity work.

2. 770, 3.8. ivy, GS/MS, megafund PE, lots of leadership in college.

3. .2 years at top consultancy (McK/BCG), 770, 3.8 GPA from a top public school, minority

EXTREMELY limited sample size, but maybe we can read some into the first batch of interviews... These guys are, even more than your average harvard student, rock stars. Pedigree undergrad and employment, huge GMAT scores, big GPAs, and sounds like decent other factors.

Of course, three is far too few to make a real conclusion, and these may well be the majority of people who get into Harvard (though all GMAT scores are above their average, so one would suspect not exactly). But just for funsies.

So I'm one of those lurkers who has less than 5 posts here. I was actually more active on BeatTheGMAT forums before I found this site which I love. Businessweek forums are fun to check out but the community isn't as friendly so I don't post there. Spam isn't the reason I didn't post. Heck I posted on the profile thread here at gmatclub. It's tough to maintain 5 updates (one for each school) on two forums. Applying to b-school is hard enough! :-D

So, I don't consider myself a rock star by any means and I got an interview invite. I think I'm solid but still a normal guy.

I'm 29, asian-american, gpa 3.67 from a state school, gmat 750, 7+ years working in CPG supply chain management, and I have strong extra curriculars and community service. So I'm older, not Ivy league, no prestigious consulting or i-banking experience, and my work is in industry. I'm not exceptional but I have a story to tell just like all of you. Best of luck everyone.

FindIt - http://www.getfindit.com

My blog - http://www.shoescount.com

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [1] , given: 295

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2010, 13:17
This post received
KUDOS
lol maybe HBS feels outgunned by competition from Booth and Kellogg. i kid :)
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 102 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2010, 06:51
This post received
KUDOS
When will they send out next wave of HBS invites?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hmmmmm, good question, in years prior invites often pulsed out early in the window on cert days of the week, like Tuesday and Friday, which made speculative sense (I have no idea if this is true), since work on which invites to send out happened over week-end or on Monday, then it takes some admin effort to logistically send out say 100, 80, etc. invites.
As the window got 'older' and invites became more random, you sometimes had small batches, even one-offs. My guess is they will send out another wave next week sometime, then a smaller wave 3-5 days after that, and by Oct 25th, like 90 pct of invites are out. The last 10 pct will dribble out fr. Oct 25th to Nov3 Day of the Dead. Bear in mind that actual interviews start on Nov 1, sooooooo, lots of junketeering adcoms will be pre-positioned in foreign locales doing Xmas shopping etc. and other tasks. That means the full deliberative force of the adcom, ahem, is in place NOW but will soon start to disperse. Hard to read apps when you are checking your mileage points and looking for hotel bargains, etc.

AskSandy--the HBS guru
http://hbsguru.com
app + essay advice, free profile evaluation
GREAT HBS MOCK INTERVIEW service.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 158 [1] , given: 36

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2010, 19:05
This post received
KUDOS
c00guy wrote:
You've gotta be kidding me! You mean HBS has sent over 60% of their invites in the first 4 days of their 19 day window?? Thats puzzling.... :?

Guys, welcome to last year. As I said earlier, HBS rolls out the major chunk of the invites on the first day. Regain your life and focus on other apps. Maybe you will get that special e-mail in the box, but if you don't, you will be ready to face your next round of apps with confidence by using this time productively.

Tips: best-app-tips-77803-80.html#p610423
GMAT experience: gmat-710-q47-v41-what-worked-and-what-didn-t-81055.html#p608295
Telling your story: storytelling-82064.html#p615567
Other MBA women: calling-all-female-mba-applicants-84636.html
GMATClub interview practice groups: gmatclub-interview-groups-85902.html#p643929

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS (Admit), Insead (Admit), Wharton (Admit+$), Kellogg (Waitlist), HBS (Ding)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 05:25
This post received
KUDOS
I am a R1 applicant and got an invite on 15th and interview slot link on 18th........all the best to all in this thread.
@rocky11, I can see all slots in Mumbai taken except 2 but then they might add more with new interview invites as mentioned in the admissions blog.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS Class of 2013
WE 1: 3 yr Healthcare

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 22

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 01:46
This post received
KUDOS
To our GMATClub friends still waiting for their interview invites, I hope this bit of information might be helpful in clarifying the speculation about the number of invites sent out so far.

During the first hour, there were originally about 290-300 interview spots for Boston "alone" to choose from. After a couple of days, we see only the "120" Boston spots mentioned here. I guess this "120" number comes from the current updated webpage, which no longer lists many taken spots. For instance, almost all the spots for the first week are no longer listed as taken - they've just simply disappeared. So I think "120 spots for Boston" is not accurate, it's closer to 300 spots with 90% taken. There are many taken spots that no longer appear now.

I can't say about other locations, but I'm pretty sure about the Boston number. Anyway, don't lose hope, guys. I hope everyone here gets their invites soon.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS (ding), Stanford (ding), Haas (interview), UC Davis (Admitted)
WE 1: 6 yrs Morgan Stanley (Instl. Consulting / Asset Mgmt)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 09:00
This post received
KUDOS
I think that's good. I would be surprised if the applicant from Mumbai with a "pre-determined" interview date would be part of a larger blast email (as would California applicants). Sounds to me like that's a one-off. I think we are still in the game.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 5

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 09:23
This post received
KUDOS
Tough to play the waiting game, but I don't think that should discourage us....

We know that there has to be a lot of outstanding invites - If another wave occurs and we still don't have invites, then we can be sad.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS (ding), Stanford (ding), Haas (interview), UC Davis (Admitted)
WE 1: 6 yrs Morgan Stanley (Instl. Consulting / Asset Mgmt)

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 11:46
This post received
KUDOS
i22 wrote:
Yes, checking my spam folder, too! haha I thought I was the only nutty one to do that :)

Checking Spam Folders is clearly insane.

Isn't that right, magic 8-Ball?

"...signs point to yes"
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, Wharton, UCLA (with $$!)

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 07:41
This post received
KUDOS
So, I've been getting about 5 e-mails from MIT every day about their various programs, info sessions, etc. It's annoying because my heart stops every time I see a new e-mail in my inbox with "MBA" in the subject line... anyone else having this problem? :)
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS (R1 Accepted)

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 07:48
This post received
KUDOS
I'm at work - so I counted up only the Boston (on campus) slots - roughly 41 are open, but that doesn't mean anything because i believe that each time slot lets multiple people register (i.e. there could be 5 or more interviewers for any certain time slot? So who knows, there could actually be 41 * 3 interviewers = 123 slots open in Boston

Plus, slots are being added constantly, so even if 0 remained for a certain region, they'll probably just add more slots anyways. So don't base your hopes solely on open or lack of open slots. 'Around 800 invites' also means that it could be 850 or 860.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 07:51
This post received
KUDOS
Yes - MIT is a bit overwhelming with their email marketing. Must have hired a consultant :P

I will forgive them if they interview me.
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 102 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 07:56
This post received
KUDOS
Haven't received my hbs invite. Thought that i had a solid app. Even though I'm not a rock star by any measure, I work for big four accounting firm (in audit), 3.9 gpa (state public school), 690 gmat, single-handedly ran family restaurant/ got an excellent review from a local but major newspaper while excelling and working full time last year after to a big loss in our family. Any hope for me still?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DEPENDS ON AGE + WORK EX. Fam biz story is nice color but will not flip outcome if basics are off. Big 4 audit is not a favored HBS feeder function (au contrary) and esp. if you are in year 5+, 4 is marginal, and aging, 3 is so-so, 2 is ideal.

Most Big 4 HBS admits start in Big4 and then move on in year 3 to Corp at F.500 (and apply fr. there) or Hedge Fund.

Big 4 is also common career path for minority admits, esp. women, seems like a reserved chair at Stan for the Big 4 minority female every year.

gmat in your case prob not a factor, 3.9 they like, but if you are older and present nerdy, well, looking grim. Looking grim in fact if you are just older and present normal. Keep me posted, and believe me, happy to be tweaked when you post back saying, JUST GOT THE INVITE.

AskSandy--the HBS guru
http://hbsguru.com
app + essay advice, free profile evaluation
GREAT HBS MOCK INTERVIEW service.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 08:33
This post received
KUDOS
Also, how many of you did NOT succumb to the expense of hiring one of those blood-sucking leeches called Admissions Consultants. Talk about bottom-feeders! Its almost more shameful than the crazy, multi-billion dollar wedding industry!

Edit:
At the end of the day, I firmly believe that if there were no admissions consultants gaming the system and no Kaplan test prep courses, etc. that each class would be a fundamentally different, and better class. People would be admitted on their own merits, not on the manufactured merits of some obnoxious consultant. Their websites alone are enough to make me cringe at the banality of it all.

Last edited by Emarc182 on 22 Oct 2010, 08:39, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 09:57
This post received
KUDOS
I'm going to go with the assumption that they find my file (and essays) so interesting that they wanted to read it over and over again before letting go of its genius and putting it in the 'invite' pile :)
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 109 [1] , given: 63

Premium Member
Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 10:26
This post received
KUDOS
rocky11 wrote:
I am guessing there wont be anymore "waves". Invites will now be sent in a one-off fashion.

(Just to keep my heartbeat down at 1235 EST :D )

12:35 is sooooo "last week." 10:50 is the new 12:35!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 12:50
This post received
KUDOS

Last edited by uprightcitizen on 08 Feb 2011, 13:33, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2)   [#permalink] 22 Oct 2010, 12:50