Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:55 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:HBS Class of 2013
WE 1: 3 yr Healthcare
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Non-Profit Entrepreneurship. Wealth/Investment Mgmt
Schools:Harvard (R2-applied), MIT (R2-applied)
 Q48  V42
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: Military
WE 2: Social Entrepreneur
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS (Admit - Class of 2013)
 Q50  V36 GMAT 2: 750  Q50  V42
WE 1: Strategy Consulting (2 years)
WE 2: Internet Startup (4 years)
Send PM
Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink]
Kudos
I am in! Don't know how to react!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Harvard Business School - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.67
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
Aspiria wrote:
Haha...for me, definitely clicking to see the admit status. For the same reason as yours :wink: I think I've missed your response in the chat room (I accidentally closed the chat window.) Would you mind sharing again where else you might decide to go, if not HBS?

I've been admitted to Kellogg as well and I'm hoping to get good news from Booth today. I'm still hoping that I get an interview with Sloan and I'm pretty much sure I'll get my Stanford ding tomorrow since I didn't interview with them.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Kudos
pembahopeful wrote:
BubbaWon wrote:
pembahopeful - how can you confirm it? I'm assuming you work at one if these firms, so just how dramatically did HBS deviate from the norm?

Let me put it this way, the megafunds have had 95-100% (some have been at 100%) acceptance for the last decade or so.

The PE numbers I am getting fr. kids at top firms are unprecedented.
Below may not be 100pct totals, but VERY reliable samples.

Blackstone – 0 of 4 to HBS

KKR – 0 of 4 to HBS [2/2 in their "Tactical Consulting" Ops group where hires are McK/BCG not IB]

Carlyle – 4 of 10 to HBS (all 4 were ex-US)

CD&R – 0 of 2 (one other "no interview" WL) to HBS

only TPG managed something like 7/10

Originally posted by hbsguru on 15 Dec 2010, 09:19.
Last edited by hbsguru on 15 Dec 2010, 10:35, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [1]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
Kudos
emont wrote:
In for R2. Probably a little belated, but I've already written all of HBS's essays for other applications and adapting them won't be hard, so I figured why not.

Make sure to apply the lessons from R1 outcomes before reusing the essays for R2 apps.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:HBS Class of 2013
WE 1: 3 yr Healthcare
Send PM
Kudos
ounce wrote:
There's a general consensus that HBS is "unfriendly" to re-applicants (within 1-2 years since last application). Thought it would be good to have a thread on this topic to help re-applicants.

1. What would be potential reasons for HBS to be relunctant to re-applicants?

Maybe HBS does not believe better leadership can be developed within 1 year?

2. What are strategies to help re-applicants succeed?

A new job with much greater responsibilities?
Better crafted essays?
Stronger recommendations (or recommenders)?

Please chime in to help! Particularly if there're successful HBS re-applicants out there, please tell us your strategies!

Imho, I think you should focus on the "relatively weaker" parts of your past application. The best source to point out which parts are would be the AdCom themselves (if you've had the chance to get limited feedback from them last year.) Another good option for feedback would be from current students/alumni, who should be able to help point out what areas, if improved, should contribute most positive impact to you application.
Manager
Manager
Schools:HBS (R1 Accepted)
Send PM
Kudos
jk12 wrote:
i am taking 1 academic rec from my adviser in grad studies. What could be examples of leadership in academic/research settings (papers?)?

perhaps think about risk-taking - any risks you took in your research? e.g. pursuing/writing about an idea that wasn't popular and having it turn out very successfully.

Maybe convincing faculty of the worthiness of your ideas (a quality of leadership is effective communication and being able to get others onboard with your ideas)
Manager
Manager
Schools:HBS - Class of 2013
Send PM
Kudos
Agreed. Seems like the class is made up of one heaping serving of McKinsey/Bain/BCG (with preference to those who have worked in the U.S. and overseas), a moderate serving of former analysts at Goldman Sachs/Morgan Stanley/J.P.Morgan who now do other things (PE/government/start-ups), and then various dashes of military, clean tech entrepreneurs, and Indian IIT kids.

It's a good group.

Aspiria wrote:
hbsguru wrote:

[color=#4000FF]Well, not gone, but shrinking, as per ukase by Tsar Nohria to cut back the PE Kulaks and get some kids fr. the Tractor factory :-) (sorry for dog's breakfast of Russian totalitarian references here) . No, she did not say work in a coal mine, but she did hint that they were tilting towards kids who did work in tractor factories (not on assembly line, but maybe in biz develp or supervisory role on floor) in fact, old economy companies are the new Black(stone) at HBS. :wink:

Sandy, could it be that we have a lot more people with PE background nowadays, compared with like 2-3 years ago, so naturally you see more applicants from PE (in nominal terms) that didn't get accepted? My personal impression is that plenty of this year's admitted profiles have finance background. In fact, I'd venture to say that at least 30% of those finance profiles I've seen have PE elements in them. Of course, it'd be interesting to see the actual stats after all rounds are finished.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
TiderInsider wrote:
BubbaWon wrote:
mainhoon wrote:
Guys so what is the guideline for wordcounts @ harvard? Stanford said cannot exceed 1800. Harvard is also 1800, but I don't see a strict comment on the application. Is 10% over allowed?

I was over by 5-10% on each HBS essay.

660 on the accomplishment essay? Maybe I am stressing to much about cutting from 650 (where my essay is now) and to 600.

My accomplishments essay had 651 words.

Originally posted by BubbaWon on 08 Jan 2011, 15:43.
Last edited by BubbaWon on 08 Jan 2011, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
Kudos
mainhoon wrote:
do we have to use a hbs template? i did not think so...

this is more formalist and nervous-nelly thinking, altho you do say you dont think so. first, do you think using a not toally circulated HBS resume format is like some secret req. that HBS uses to separate out kids w. friends at HBS and who stalk boards like this, versus other kids. To judge fr. outcomes in R1, they are tilting towards kids who DONT HAVE FRIENDS AT HBS AND ARE FROM LESS FREQ. POPULATED PLACES, hence Dee's remark to the dinged PE guy, he mighta done better working at tractor factory.

MORE TO THE POINT: an HBS resume is job-seeking resume, while an APPLICATION resume should strees diff stuff. An application resume should be more text, more detailed about how you accomplished things, what diffs you fr. peers at work, and more expansive about extra currics. In general, it should be longer, altho maybe one page maybe two, no big diff, altho most are one. Employers are not ALL that interested in that, they are just creaming the resume to see what industries and brand names you worked in--they assume if you GOT INTO HBS in the first place, the non-Geek, human stuff is already in place.
also, altho obvious, an application resume should lead w. Work Ex, while most HBS resumes start w. saying they are in HBS, both being reverse chrono, but different, given situations of kids are diff. Not super impt and 20 pct of application resumes start w. edu. altho I dont like it, no big deal.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
mainhoon wrote:
BubbaWon wrote:
shels wrote:
For extra-curriculars since college, the application data form asks for a contact person for each activity.

Does HBS actually follow up on these? Is it the exception rather than the rule? Is it better to give email or phone?

Nothing to hide, just feel like I should give people a heads up if so.

I listed 3 - 2 phone #s, 1 email - and none have been contacted. Believe it's used by HBS to keep people honest.

Thats helpful BWon.. Mine have been a while, not sure what to input, maybe atleast an email...

Emails will suffice, I'm sure. If they really need more info I'm sure they'll contact you. This process isn't a total vacuum
Director
Director
Affiliations: IIT, Purdue, PhD, TauBetaPi
Own Kudos [?]: 360 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: $ Finance $
Schools:Wharton, Sloan, Chicago, Haas
 Q50  V37
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: 8 years in Oil&Gas
Send PM
Kudos
I personally feel 700 words is too much, but if you have that then just submit it.. No one is truncating it..

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Schools:HBS (R2), Stanford (R2), Wharton (WL), MIT
WE 1: 2 yrs banking
WE 2: 2 yrs PE / Hedge Fund
Send PM
Kudos
jk12 wrote:
oneofmany wrote:
jk12 wrote:
My transcripts are too big to fit in 500K upload requirement. How is everyone else doing it?

The only way i am able to do it is break transcript from 1 UG institution in 3 groups and upload 3 documents.
Has HBS any direction about what to do when transcript is too big?

Try scanning at a lower resolution, then using some of the tools in acrobat to reduce the file size. If you have the full version of Adobe Acrobat (not sure if it's available in Reader), under the Document menu, run the Reduce File Size command, then run the Optimize Scanned PDF command. The two of those should significantly decrease the file size. Good luck.

I used reduced File size, it reduces size by up to 10KB for a file of 100K (one page/semester of my trascript). Resolution that I am scanning at is quite low 72dpi. Are you doing color or bw? Will optimized scanned reduce size dratically?

I scanned B/W (and would recommend doing so if you're not already). 72dpi is quite low -- I think mine was ~100 dpi.

The optimize scan is actually much more substantial than the reduce file size. I think reduce file size is mostly a dpi adjustment and yours is pretty low. My file went from ~800kb -> ~750kb after reduce file size. Then when I ran optimize scanned pdf, it went down to ~350kb (a 3 pg transcript)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Non-Profit Entrepreneurship. Wealth/Investment Mgmt
Schools:Harvard (R2-applied), MIT (R2-applied)
 Q48  V42
WE 1: Military
WE 2: Social Entrepreneur
Send PM
Kudos
Any of the R1 admitted students (or anyone who has info on this!!):

My Ques is regarding the Reco Word count.

Two of my three recomenders have called me saying that the 250 word limit is too less and each of their answer is about 350-400 words, with the overall count around 1100.
But they say that they are liking what thet have written and the flow is nice !!!

Now do i request them to CUT the words down or go - ahead with the 400-word cap.

I believe the reco is taking two complete pages in TNRoman, Font 12, single - space !!

NEED ADVICE URGENTLY !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
LaVerdad07 wrote:
alienfluid wrote:
Had a quick question about employment history - in the field 'reason for leaving', I am assuming I leave it blank if I'm still at the job? I was wondering if it is asking whi I'm *planning* on leaving the job to come to HBS but I'm probably overthinking.

Not sure if this is the correct convention but i worte "Still employed. Planning to enroll in MBA program in Fall 2011."

Just leave it blank people - it's implicit that you'd leave your job if accepted to an MBA program. I worry about some of you. I love you all, but I worry.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Schools:HBS (R2), Stanford (R2), Wharton (WL), MIT
WE 1: 2 yrs banking
WE 2: 2 yrs PE / Hedge Fund
Send PM
Kudos
srjaidev wrote:
I forget that I am in the company of investment bankers and affluent consultants :P
I am just a software engineer in India. But yeah wine and gift baskets seem appropriate :)...

bb, isn't there a thread on this already? :eh:

Found the following thread with a quick search:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/gifts-for-recommenders-105925.html?hilit=gift
Kudos
HBS TINKERS WITH SACRED CASE METHOD, AS PREDICTED.

NOT FULLY SURE WHAT THIS MEANS, BUT THIS WAS SENT TO ALL KIDS ADMITTED ROUND ONE

SOUNDS LIKE A LOT OF TRAVEL MUMBO -JUMOB AND TEAM TEACHING, WHAT THIS DOES TO STANDARD CASE METHOD AND HOW MUCH THESE 3 MODULES WILL COUNT AS PART OF FULL FIRST YEAR SET-UP STILL UNCLEAR.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:

1/23/11

To Newly Admitted Harvard Business School Students:

Congratulations on your admission to Harvard Business School. We are thrilled that you chose to apply here and hope to welcome you to campus in the fall as part of the MBA Class of 2013. With that in mind, we wanted you to be among the first to know about a very exciting development that we believe will significantly enhance your educational experience at the School.

Following discussions among the faculty and after receiving input from alumni, recruiters, and current students, among others, we are pleased to inform you that last week, the faculty of Harvard Business School voted to approve two important enhancements to the MBA Program. The first will create a new course in the Required Curriculum that we're calling FIELD (Field Immersion Experiences for Leadership Development). It will focus on developing substantively meaningful small-group learning experiences throughout the first year that are experiential, immersive, and field-based, with the overall goal of advancing the School's mission to develop leaders who make a difference in the world. Like other new courses, it will be designed and delivered by a faculty teaching group, and it will consist of three modules: the first will center on leadership, the second on globalization (including a required global immersion experience during the RC Januarty term), and the final will integrate learning across the year.

The second enables new flexibility in the Elective Curriculum by modularizing the calendar, allowing faculty and students greater flexibility and creativity in molding their courses and building their schedules, respectively.

We believe both of these enhancements have the potential to become a platform for significant innovation in experiential learning in management education. We also believe these changes to the MBA curriculum will give our students an array of exciting field-based opportunities that will serve as a powerful complement to the case method.

We plan to tell you more about these developments at Admitted Students Weekend on Friday February 25th, so please join us then. Should you not be able to attend, we will be posting additional information on the prematriculation site shortly thereafter.

We look forward to seeing you next month.

Nitin Nohria (Dean of the Faculty)
Youngme Moon (Senior Associate Dean and Chair of the MBA Program)
Kudos
Excellent and fast analysis of new HBS curriculum in Poets and Quants.

PoetsAndQuants Harvard's MBA Student Association dubs changes to MBA program "bold new ideas" https://bit.ly/exammX
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  147   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts