Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 03:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
6 KUDOS received
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 330

Kudos [?]: 1340 [6] , given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 20 Jun 2010, 18:10
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Harvard Business School Application for the class of 2013 is online. This thread will also serve as a master thread for the 2+2 applicants for the class of 2016 (June 2011 Applicants!)

APPLICANTS: Please fill out your stats in the Google Doc attached and keep updating your information whenever you see fit! We will keep this thread updated as well

(GIANT Post - Be warned :D)

Current Students: Harvard Admits

2+2 APPLICANTS

REQUIREMENTS:

Quote:
To be considered for admission, an applicant must complete the following prerequisites:

* Junior year of undergraduate academic experience, or equivalent
* Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or Graduate Record Examination (GRE) taken 6/15/05, or later
* Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) taken 6/15/08, or later, if you are an international applicant attending a non-English-speaking undergraduate university
* Submission of a complete online application for evaluation by June 15, 2010

GENERAL APPLICATION INFORMATION:

1. Essay Questions:

Quote:
Required Questions

* What are your three most substantial accomplishments and why do you view them as such? (600-word limit)
* What would you like us to know about your undergraduate academic experience? (400-word limit)
* What have you learned from a mistake? (400-word limit)

Please also respond to one of the following (400-word limit each):

1. Discuss how you have engaged with a community or organization.
2. What area of the world are you most curious about and why?
3. What is your career vision and why is this choice meaningful to you?

2. Application Deadlines:

To be announced for the Summer of 2011. For the Summer of 2010 class:

Quote:
2+2 Application Available Online: April 12, 2010
2+2 Application Submission: June 15, 2010
[Interview Invites to be sent out: July 19th, 2010]
2+2 Interviews (on-campus and by invitation only): August 18 - 24, 2010
2+2 Admissions Notification: Early September 2010

3. Letters of Recommendation:

Quote:
* Please comment on the context of your interaction with the applicant. How long have you known the applicant and in what connection? If applicable, briefly describe the applicant's role in your organization.
* Please describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant's response.
* Please make additional statements about the applicant's performance, potential, or personal qualities you believe would be helpful to the MBA Admissions Board.

4. Sandy's Advice for Students Applying to 2+2:

hbsguru wrote:
A Shrewd Undergraduate's Guide to HBS Admissions
Published, THE HARVARD CRIMSON,
April 20th 2008

Sanford Kreisberg is the founder of hbsguru.com, a business school admissions consultancy. He has advised scores of Harvard graduates about applying to HBS over the past 10 years . . . .

1. Try to have a high GPA and do not fall for the canard that the admissions committee is aware of hard courses, and will give you a break. They are aware of A, B, and C. They have no idea if Post-Modern Feminist Approaches to Derivative Trading is a hard course or a gut. Take a lot of guts, and use the extra time to explore extra activities. Do not innocently engage in learning for 'learning sake' --although certainly say you do. Do not take introductory Arabic or Chinese because they sound contemporary and important, especially when most kids in those classes will be native speakers looking for guts. Do not take some super-duper math course because it sounds 'interesting.'

2. Try to have a high GMAT, but HBS is not obsessed with this; they are more concerned with your GPA, and will not get too shook up with a 680 or even a 660 GMAT if they 'otherwise love you' and that can apply to even non-minorities. A 720 GMAT is normative, a 750 won't help you as much as you think, and a jumbo 770+ is a nice touch, especially if a keystone of your application is that you are smart or quanty.

3. Be strategic about extracurriculars: try to be a leader. Try to find an issue where you can lead based on interests or identity politics. Think about Miss America, where each finalist has some 'signature' issue like overcoming learning disabilities or improving inner-city education. Get a signature issue of your own. Leading a club based on your ethnicity, personal concerns, diseases, or political ideas is good. Try to be innovative and expand the organization's programs and membership.

4. Be a work in progress. HBS is obsessed with 'transforming' its students, so the persona you should present in your application is someone who is both focused and accomplished, yet open to change. You don't need to be overly interested in business per se; rather, you need to be interested in the intersection of your personal passion, signature issue, or academic interest with the potential social impact. Thus, if you have a passion for biology, you would do better presenting yourself as someone interested in how biology can cure disease among groups a, b, or c, rather than someone obsessed with Biotech companies and their relative stock values. HBS will "transform" you into the latter.

5. For the 2+2” program, which is new, it is better to pretend to be 'out of it' about business than someone who has been obsessed with business ever since your grandfather gave you 100 shares of General Electric for your 10th birthday. HBS is looking for science and artsy kids who otherwise, without HBS's wonderful 2+2” program, never would have thought about business, and would have gone to (gasp) law school. So, be a techie who was happy being a nerd until, poof, 2+2” came along, and then you discovered you could be a business nerd. Think transformation.

6. In your essays, show what makes you tick; the essays are not brag sheets. Don't list what you did so much as account for how you were effective getting others, like professors and other students, to help you. Think Tom Sawyer. Get the others to help you paint the fence. Don't brag about raising money for charity, but explain how you convinced 20 other kids to help you raise money for charity.

REGULAR APPLICANTS

All quoted sections of this post are from the Harvard Business School Admissions Website

GENERAL APPLICATION INFORMATION:

1. Essay Questions:

Quote:
* What are your three most substantial accomplishments and why do you view them as such? (600-word limit)
* What have you learned from a mistake? (400-word limit)
* Please respond to two of the following (400-word limit each):
1. What would you like the MBA Admissions Board to know about your undergraduate academic experience?
2. What is your career vision and why is this choice meaningful to you?
3. Tell us about a time in your professional experience when you were frustrated or disappointed.
4. When you join the HBS Class of 2013, how will you introduce yourself to your new classmates?

Joint degree applicants:

* How do you expect the joint degree experience to benefit you on both a professional and a personal level? (400-word limit)

2. Application Deadlines:
Quote:
Round 1 Friday, October 1, 2010 Tuesday, December 14, 2010 (Notification)
Round 2 Tuesday, January 11, 2011 Tuesday, March 29, 2011 (Notification)
Round 3 Thursday, March 31, 2011 Thursday, May 5, 2011 (Notification)

3. Letters of Recommendation:

Quote:
Recommendations must be completed online. The form includes the following three essay response questions, along with other types of questions.

* Please comment on the context of your interaction with the applicant. How long have you known the applicant and in what connection? If applicable, briefly describe the applicant's role in your organization. (250-word limit)
* Please describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant's response. (250-word limit)
* Please make additional statements about the applicant's performance, potential, or personal qualities you believe would be helpful to the MBA Admissions Board. (250-word limit)

APPLICANT LIST:

HBS Applicant List Google Doc

OTHER RESOURCES:

Useful Web Pages for Application

*HBS Director's Blog for All Important Updates
*Last year's thread for HBS (Regular Applicants)
*Last year's thread for HBS 2+2 Applicants
*Veritas Prep School Report for Harvard Business School (Please register your email id, and Veritas will send a link to the download and you can download multiple school reports at once if you want!)
*Class Profile for 2+2
*FAQs
*HBS Director's Blog for All Important Updates
*Clear Admit's Essay Analysis for Harvard Fall 2011
*Veritas Prep Essay Analysis for Harvard 2011

Life at HBS - Blogs

a) CS @ HBS - http://www.computersexy.com/blog/
b) Harvard Bound - http://myharvardmba2010.blogspot.com/
c) Inside HBS - http://www.insidehbs.com/
d) Sync - http://sync.bradleylautenbach.com/
e) Mark and Jie's Journey to B-School - http://markandjie.blogspot.com/
f) Will Hsu's HBS Bubble - http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=wphsu99
g) AGirlsMBA at Harvard Business School: http://agirlsmba.blogspot.com/
h) Military to Business: http://militarytobusiness.blogspot.com/

Last edited by souvik101990 on 02 Jan 2013, 07:32, edited 6 times in total.
Roster Updated!
Veritas Prep GMAT Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
7 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: War veteran & gallantry award winner.
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.81
WE: Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [7] , given: 6

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2011, 06:42
This post received
KUDOS
CONGRATS to all those who have got their invites ..... YAY !!!!!! :)

For all those like me who are still very hopeful for an invite .... Dont loose heart ..... As they say -- Its only when the chips are down that your real character comes into play .... So hang on everyone !!! 8-)

To make u all a little cheerful ... Here's a little of what I have dug up today-->

Excerpts from TWO of Dee's blog before R2 decisions last year:
Quote:
Date: January 21, 2010
We plan to begin sending out interview invitations on Friday, February 12. The invitation will be an email from HBS MBA Admissions ...... Detailed instructions will be in the invitation email.

We plan to interview around 800 candidates in Round 2, including some Round 1 candidates on the waitlist who have not yet been interviewed. Most, but not all, of these invitations will go out on February 12 so that all invitees have equal access to locations and dates. As always, we will continue to send some invitations up to and including April 6, the notification date for Round 2.......

Date: February 12, 2010
As planned, today we are sending out roughly 800 interview invitations to round 2 applicants and some round 1 waitlisters. Invitations will arrive by email from HBS MBA Admissions and will be sent out before 5:00pm EST today..... More interview invitations will follow, up to decision notification on April 6. How many? I don't know for sure at this point - perhaps 50 or so. The majority of invitations will indeed be sent today. We continue to review - and re-review - applications and are also making some preliminary round 2 waitlist decisions

Now the one this year :
Quote:
Date: January 26, 2011
We will be sending interview invitations to Round 2 candidates beginning on February 4 and continuing through February 16. On February 16 we will be sending some invitations to join the waitlist with the possibility of an interview invitation later and denial letters to all other Round 2 candidates whom we do not plan to interview.

Detailed instructions about the sign-up process for interviews will be included in the email invitation.

If you carefully notice the lines that i have highlighted, it is clear that last year Dee had clearly mentioned that majority of the invites will be sent in the first wave. Whereas this year she has mentioned that they will continue till feb 16th.

All of you who have been monitoring Dee's blog will agree with me that she has been very forthcoming and has genuinely tried to help lessen the anxiety of the applicants. So one should take her mail on face-value and trust her on that!

Also, most of you are aware of the absolutely grim weather that has hit Boston since the last two weeks or so. While it may not have actually hindered the process, it could definitely NOT have helped in making it any faster. I mean, a lot of the adcoms would have had problems in shuttling back and forth. So there is a good chance that they might be behind their own strict schedule.
But since Dee had committed on the blog to dish out the invites on 4th, they would have kept that promise, albeit with a reduction in the actual no of invites ...... What say ?!!?!?!??

So now the prediction: My guess is that we would see the invites being dished out in about 4 waves on 4th, 8th, 11th and the last on 16th.

{And yes, this is irrespective of the fact that I want it to be true !!!! :lol: I may very well get dinged, but for all you other hopefuls, all I want to say is that please don't lose hope !! Just remember that the glass is still "half full" :) }

Regards ..... Sam

DISCLAIMER: All the views expressed here are purely my own and speculative .... I may be way off target .... But just thought of giving my $0.02 to ease out the nerves of some young applicants out there !!
5 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 71 [5] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 12:35
This post received
KUDOS
-

Last edited by osbornecox on 14 Dec 2010, 23:47, edited 2 times in total.
5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS (ding), Stanford (ding), Haas (interview), UC Davis (Admitted)
WE 1: 6 yrs Morgan Stanley (Instl. Consulting / Asset Mgmt)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [5] , given: 1

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 25 Oct 2010, 10:31
This post received
KUDOS
I wish I could contribute more to this discussion on aging out, but at 29, my mind has started to go.

And my hip has been bothering me - probably gonna rain soon.

I'm sure I would have gotten an interview if it wasn't for these kids and their god-damn rap music.
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Stanford GSB (R2), Kellogg (R2 in!!!), Stern (R2 WL)
WE 1: 4+
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [4] , given: 13

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2011, 15:33
This post received
KUDOS
I was on campus on Friday meeting with admissions and they commented that there are still applications that haven't been read...if you haven't gotten an interview invitation yet, be patient. They have a lot to go thru.
4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: War veteran & gallantry award winner.
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.81
WE: Other (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [4] , given: 6

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 08:57
This post received
KUDOS
hbsguru wrote:
Private message to Dee: Darling, stop watching CNN, there are no protesters in front of Dillon House and tho you are an autocrat, the peeps still like you. Dont rush into changes and impair your cool and parochial school spelling and typing skills.

Sorry, But dont like the sound/tone of this ! :roll:
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [3] , given: 1

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2010, 16:38
This post received
KUDOS
vamsim wrote:
I second fugaz778, preparing yourself for the ding email on Wednesday sounds like the best option! :(

Thousands of people get rejected from HBS each year. There's no shame in it. While I'm disappointed that I wasn't extended an invite, I have no doubt that I, and all the other talented and intelligent people on this forum, will find success and happiness elsewhere. Best of luck in future endeavors everyone!
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [3] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2011, 11:26
This post received
KUDOS
Guys I just called hbs admissions and I was told this was just the first wave of invites and there will be"quite a few more" over the next two weeks. She emphasized the QUITE so let's be patient and hope for the best

Posted from my mobile device Image
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 34 [3] , given: 26

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2011, 12:06
This post received
KUDOS
hbsguru: your capslock key is stuck ;)
2 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 102 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Harvard 2+2 - 2011 Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2010, 08:33
This post received
KUDOS
HBS 2+2 INTERVIEW PREP

no--dont get nervous, the HBS 2+2 program has not sent out interview invites yet, and last year, those invites cames out around July 20th, for interviews in late August. They will probably follow ~same timing this year. All that said, for those thinking about 2+2 interviews, see below

I've done a lot of HBS 2+2 mock interviews: Since the 2+2 program began, HBS has probably interviewed close to 450-500 2+2 candidates in total and I have done mock interviews with close to 20 of them --and that is just the 2+2 program.

Last year, for its regular admission cycle, HBS interviewed 1800 people--I gave mock interviews to over 100 of those 1800 people.

I really know how to do this, read testimonials below.

Over the past 10 years, I have probably done over 600 HBS mock interviews. My knowledge of how to prepare you for an HBS mock interview is based on those experiences.

I KNOW QUESTIONS TYPICALLY ASKED TO 2+2 CANDIDATES, BOTH US AND INTERNATIONAL--THOSE WHO ARE LIBERAL ARTS MAJORS, SOCIAL SCIENCE MAJORS, AND SCIENCE MAJORS.

I know typical HBS questions often asked to 2+2 candidates with summer work experience as investment bankers, venture capital and hedge fund associates, medical and lab researchers, non-profit interns, Washington interns, Obama interns, McCain interns, Palin nannies and sled dog wranglers, interns at Fortune 500 companies, interns at start-ups and kids who started their own companies.
I know how to help you formulate your core story in ways which can be applied to many questions.
I can predict trouble areas in your application and help you come up with talking points to deal with them.
I can sense what your particular needs are in terms of presentation, for example, if you don't get to the point soon enough (a possibly fatal habit) or if you appear too aggressive or too arrogant or confident in the wrong way for often thin-skinned (and just plain thin) HBS interviewers (some of whom are predisposed not to like bankers).
I can help you create a back story for your goals which creates a solid platform for Why MBA, Why HBS?
can help you prepare a strong answer to the question "Why should we take you?" This questions is often asked in several forms:
"What can YOU contribute to case method discussion based on background and experience?"
"How will your classmates remember you?"
"How have you grown as a leader?"
I can calm you down, although that will not be the first thing that happens.
I can help you formulate answers to 'ice-breaker' questions such as:
"I already know you from your application, just tell me what you think the three defining moments in your life are?"
"Pretend I have not read your application and I just met you. Tell me who you are, what you've done, and where you want to be 15 years?"
I can help prepare you to face such recently popular questions as:
"What is one thing that is not immediately apparent about you to others?"
"How would your friends describe you?"
"How has the financial crisis impacted you, your friends, your industry and your goals?"
THE PROCESS:THE MOCK INTERVIEW IS DONE BY PHONE.
If you want a mock HBS interview, send me an email to hbsguru.com, telling me when your interview is, what time zone you are in, what days and times are good for you, and attaching a resume. I will reply back w. dates and times, etc. Then you send me a pdf of your HBS application and we set up a time for the interview. Mock interviews take about 60-70 minutes. The price is $300.00 dollars USD. You pay me when we speak and do the interview.

AskSandy--the HBS guru
http://hbsguru.com
app + essay advice, free profile evaluation
GREAT HBS MOCK INTERVIEW service.

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton, Columbia, Sloan
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 16 [2] , given: 4

Re: HBS Letter of Rec Questions [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 12:39
This post received
KUDOS
Other types of questions are ranking types - top 5%, 10% in analytical ability, communication skills etc.

fyi -- you can create a dummy accounts at each school and then request recommendation by sending recommendation request to other dummy email address. That way you can have a look at the real recommendation page.

No big deal!
2 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Wharton (R2 - submitted); HBS (R2 - submitted); IIMA (admitted for 1 year PGPX)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 92 [2] , given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 05:00
This post received
KUDOS
I am a 34 year old applicant to HBS this year. Will be 35 next year by the time the course starts. If I go by the stats - I am simply no where. I don't have any non-traditional discriminators (combat experience, PHD etc going for me). Over the last 12 years since graduating from the Engineering school - I just couldn't get my act together to apply.

I am going ahead to see what happens. No body knows for sure and rumours abound. I prefer not to pay heed to misconceptions and keep the faith. It's a hard sell at the end of the day and as somebody mentioned earlier - it's even harder for the schools because, yes indeed, they have a legacy to protect.

I would say - apply with conviction and with all the might as you may have. We are ALL unique without exception. Our circumstances, abilities, motivations are all unique and it's how we package these essential elements is what truly counts. If nothing, simply applying to schools like Harvard is an experience in itself. I have learnt a lot from the process.

The older applicants really have nothing to lose. The odds are stacked against us - so instead of focussing on the outcome, it's better we focus on the process and see if we can learn a thing or two. Life has certainly much more to it than getting an MBA.

Good luck to everyone and may the force be with you all.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 3 years for major bank
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 34 [2] , given: 33

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 20 Oct 2010, 14:40
This post received
KUDOS
interesting. A few things i'm wondering about because I have nothing better to do with my time:

1. New York only has 42 spots. That's a bit strange given the large applicant pool that is bound to apply from there. Possible reasons: (a) new york invitations have only partially been given out [adcomms looked at different sections of the US/globe first figuring they could return to the "Traditional" applicants later] or (b) they don't feel the need to stay as long in New York because, let's face it, if you live in new york, you can take the train up to Boston without too much trouble. I tend to believe the latter.

2. California by far has the most open spots (38% of all open spots and 32% of all total Cal slots). Possible reasons: (a) They're prepared but have not yet sent out a couple dozen California invitations. (b) They're traveling across the country and already planned on having enough time for a bunch of California interviews, but there just aren't that many people they want to interview out there (c) Lots of people in California have probably lived on the West Coats all their lives (or at least a lot of it) and may want to visit Boston during their interviews more than elsewhere. International apps are too far/expensive to go to Boston, the east coast, etc. has already been to Boston or at least knows what it's about. I tend to lean (because I am a pessimist) toward (a).
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [2] , given: 1

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2010, 08:01
This post received
KUDOS
PEanalyst wrote:
are we feeling any mass wave of invites either today or tomorrow at 12:35 PM EST?

I believe that is the general consensus speculation.

Thankfully, in anticipation of this uncertainty, earlier this week I purchased a magic 8-ball. It's response to a variety of questions both yesterday and today has been "my sources say yes". I believe this gives cause for optimism.

...just trying to insert a little levity. This is brutally stressful. Hang in there all.
2 KUDOS received

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 07:24
This post received
KUDOS
Based on the breakdown of your clients who have received invites vs those who havent, do you see any more patterns in terms of invites for domestic vs international, georgraphic areas, traditional applicant vs non-traditional, etc? Your insight is much appreciated, thanks.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, clients w. high gmats, high gpas and who work for traditional feeder organizations are getting interview invites, and clients w. profiles away from those markers are not. SHOCKING!!!!!!

Every year there is a new class of applicants going on the same roller coaster ride. First they listent to the adcom BS about 'anyone can get in,' then some 'experts' blather on about how essay execution, and especially what the significance of the accomplishment was to you IS CRITICAL, then kids write and write, deluding themselves that their personal and by now sandpapered story matters SOOOOOO MUCH.............................................. then results come out, and 8000 out of 9000 applicants feel SCREWED when lo and behold, despite adcom song and dance, and despite really personal and ga ga essays, and despite urban internet myths about FedEx guy who got in, the SAME SCHMUCKS AS ALWAYS GET IN.

AskSandy--the HBS guru

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [2] , given: 1

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2010, 09:20
This post received
KUDOS
anxiouslywaiting wrote:
OK so still waiting....M/26
Top 3 technology consulting firm, promoted early, youngest Senior Consultant in the practice(within 3yrs instead of 5), awesome Supply Chain work exp (leading multiple implementations - currently at largest F&B company in US) graduated in 07 with MechEngrg degree from top 5 engrg sch..3.3GPA and 710 GMAT. Multiple community service leadership, very strong EC's (i think at least)...Indian by ethnicity but grew up in Sinagpore and having a permanant residence status in US....
Any hopes for me? or maybe i should just resign myself to the fact that not gonna get an invite??

Time to bust out the magic 8-ball again. The sad truth is, no one knows. We are all type A personalities, so we are searching desperately for tiny pieces of information we can use to try to control something that is, by nature, entirely out of our control.

It's time to relax and try to enjoy the ride.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V43
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 109 [2] , given: 63

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2010, 11:49
This post received
KUDOS
Update from Dee: http://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/blog. ... 2010-11-02

Quote:
Round One Decisions
Date: November 02, 2010

It's November 2. Tomorrow afternoon we will be sending out three kinds of emails:

A few more invitations to interview
Roughly 100 offers to join the waitlist
"Release" decision

You've probably noticed that I tend to keep these updates short and to-the-point. I could go on and on about various things - the strength of the applicant pool, how the challenge here is not about "evaluation" (again, because of the strength of the pool), but more about "selection." The challenge is not to rank order candidates, but to comprise a balanced class. I could talk about how I wish we could give customized feedback to denied candidates - but even if we had the resources to do this, most of the conversations would be, "You're fine, but so are many, many others." I could describe our evaluation process - and reiterate that each candidate not invited to interview gets at least two reviews.

But I'll stop - and end this update hoping that this "early release" experiment is seen as a positive step.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

2 KUDOS received

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 25 Nov 2010, 08:40
This post received
KUDOS
PadawanOfTheGMAT wrote:
Hi,

I'm currently working on my HBS essays, and I was wondering whether the essay 3.d "When you join the HBS Class of 2013, how will you introduce yourself to your new classmates?" should be like a speech, or more like a cover letter?

Example of a speech: "Hello everyone, my name is Padawan, [...]"

Thanks for your insights

can be either, but speech is prob. better, but remember most of all, it is really an essay to adcom, no matter what format you use--and the trick to maximize this essay is to add info they dont have fr. rest of app. Now, since you are also introducing yourself, well, of course, you will touch on basics like jobs and interests, but you need to add value, e.g. "Hi, I work for Intergroup Brands, the world's largest spirits maker and distributor, that is wine and liquor, to those of you who dont know the lingo, and I realize some of you migth consider this a 'sin' business, and you may be partly right, a topic I'd be happy to discuss, the story of how I got there is interesting
blah, blah . . ."
so the point is, you need to sound reasonable, and presentable and a value add to the class. Good place to discuss hobbies, and interests, and how will get involved in orgs at HBS, but mostly, good place to expand on your actual background and accomplishments, w. powerful stories about family, or upbringing, or interests.

AskSandy--the HBS guru

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS Class of 2013

Kudos [?]: 10 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2011, 18:10
This post received
KUDOS
roundel wrote:
I checked this morning and my application is "Under Review" at HBS. That's less than 3 days after the submission deadline. Any idea what this means or has the status changed to "Under Review" for everyone?

from the deans blog

Update to "Submission Status"
Date: February 03, 2010

In response to many helpful suggestions, we are changing what you see after you have submitted your application. Instead of just the message that the application has been submitted, you will see an additional note indicating that your application is "under review." Hopefully this will give more reassurance that we are indeed moving applications through the process - something we've been doing all along, but the messaging was confusing.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS Class of 2013

Kudos [?]: 10 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2011, 12:07
This post received
KUDOS
kraynro wrote:
dings go out no sooner then the 16th along with wl offers, im guessing atleast 40-50% but no more then 70% will go out tomor.

2009 R2 = ~91% on 1st day
2010 R2 = ~95% on 1st day
2011 R2 = ??????. From the looks of it, little hope after tomorrow :(

Hello to Round Two Applicants
Date: February 09, 2009

Today we are sending emails to about 750 applicants inviting them to interview. Detailed information will be included in the email. I think there will be between 50 and 100 additional invitations sent between now and April 2. These will be sent out as files are reviewed - not on a designated day or days.

As I've said before, I know that the business school application experience is anxiety-producing. We are trying hard to minimize anxiety and stress while preserving a time-intensive selection process in which the applications you invested so much in are carefully reviewed by multiple members of the Admissions Board.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Round 2 Interview Update
Date: February 12, 2010

As planned, today we are sending out roughly 800 interview invitations to round 2 applicants and some round 1 waitlisters. Invitations will arrive by email from HBS MBA Admissions and will be sent out before 5:00pm EST today. We will make sure every invited candidate is contacted so don't worry about missing our email.

More interview invitations will follow, up to decision notification on April 6. How many? I don't know for sure at this point - perhaps 50 or so. The majority of invitations will indeed be sent today. We continue to review - and re-review - applications and are also making some preliminary round 2 waitlist decisions. Candidates who do not receive interview invitations in round 2 will be considered for spots on the waitlist. I expect there will be approximately 100 round 2 candidates who will be invited to join the waitlist.
Re: Calling all HBS 2011 Applicants!! (Including 2+2)   [#permalink] 03 Feb 2011, 12:07