Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Sep 2014, 15:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

HBS 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
3 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 102 [3] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
HBS 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Jun 2011, 14:33
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
2+2 Applicants - Please add yourself to the 2+2 Roll Call which will be put up on this thread: HBS 2+2 Class of 2016

HBS Business School Guide

HBS Applicant Summary (Real Time)

Quick Glance: GMAT Club vs. Latest Intake (Class of 2013)

Latest GMAT Club Member Profile Updates

Detailed Applicant List: Add Yourself to This List (add HBS to your profile)

GMAT Club's Real-time Admissions Statistics

Add Your Profile to This List
Questions about this Roll Call?

Members Invited to Interview

HBS CLASS ADMITTED THIS YEAR (entering 2011) VS LAST YEAR (entered 2010)
FINANCIAL SERVICES BLOODBATH
HEADLINES
1. apps DOWN fr. 9524 to 9134
2. PE/VC Down fr. 18pct to 13pct -HOLY COW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3. Women up 36 to 39 pct
4. Class size up fr. 910 to 918
5. Investment banking and Investment Management DOWN fr. 14 to 12 pct

Class of 2013*

http://www.hbs.edu/mba/perspectives/class-statistics/
Admissions
Total MBA Enrollment 918
Applications 9,134
% Admitted 12%
Yield 90%
Class Composition
Women 39%
US Ethnic Minorities 23%
International 34%
Average Age 27
Countries represented 68
Undergraduate institutions represented 243
GMAT Score Range 490-790
Median GMAT 730
Citizenship
North America 70%
?United States 66%
Asia/South Pacific 13%
Europe 10%
Central/South America 4%
Africa 2%
Oceania 1%
Undergraduate Majors
Business Administration 20%
Engineering/Natural Sciences/Technical Disciplines 36%
Humanities/Social Sciences 43%
Other 1%
Pre-MBA Industry
Consulting 21%
Consumer Products 6%
Financial Services** 12%
Healthcare/Biotech 6%
High Tech/Communications 9%
Manufacturing 14%
Military 5%
Non-Profit 8%
Other Services 5%
Venture Capital/Private Equity 13%
Unspecified 1%

* As of June 1, 2011 – subject to change

** Includes Investment Banking and Investment Management
==============================

Preliminary Profile of the Class of 2012
http://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/blog-all.html
entry for July7,2010

Date: July 07, 2010

Here’s a peek at the Class of 2012.

This is still officially “preliminary” until registration in September.
Admissions
Total MBA Enrollment 910
Applications 9,524
% Admitted 11%
Class Composition
Women 36%
US Ethnic Minorities 23%
International 34%
Countries represented 73
Undergraduate institutions represented 243
GMAT Score Range 510-790
Middle 50% GMAT Score Range 710-750
Average GMAT 724
Citizenship
North America 70%
?United States 66%
Asia/South Pacific 13%
Europe 12%
Central/South America 3%
Africa 1%
Oceania 1%
Undergraduate Majors
Business 23%
Engineering/Natural Sciences/Technical Disciplines 33%
Humanities/Social Sciences 43%
Other 1%
Pre-MBA Industry
Consulting 22%
Consumer Products 7%
Financial Services* 14%
Healthcare/Biotech 6%
High Tech/Communications 6%
Manufacturing 9%
Military 5%
Non-Profit 7%
Other Services 5%
Venture Capital/Private Equity 18%

* Includes Investment Banking & Investment Management
BTW: A GREAT, GREAT RESOURCE FOR ALL HBS APPLICANTS IS LAST YEAR'S THREAD, CALLING ALL HBS 2011 APPLICANTS,
calling-all-hbs-2011-applicants-including-96063.html#p739570
ESP THE FIRST POST, WHICH ITSELF GIVES RESOURCES. SPENDING AN HOUR READING THRU THOSE POSTS WILL GIVE YOU AN EXCELLENT IDEA OF WHAT THE YEAR AHEAD WILL LOOK LIKE AND PROVIDE YOU WITH MANY, MANY PROFILES AND THEIR OUTCOMES.

Interview questions:
Quote:
"I know typical HBS questions, including questions often asked of investment bankers, private equity, venture capital and hedge fund associates, and questions asked to those employed in non-profits, the military, manufacturing, and technology.
I know how to help you formulate your core story in ways which can be applied to many questions.
I can predict trouble areas in your application and help you come up with talking points to deal with them.
I can sense what your particular needs are in terms of presentation, for example, if you don't get to the point soon enough (a possibly fatal habit) or if you appear too aggressive or too arrogant or confident in the wrong way for often thin-skinned (and just plain thin) HBS interviewers (some of whom are predisposed not to like bankers).
I can help you create a back story for your goals which creates a solid platform for Why MBA, Why HBS?
I can help you prepare a strong answer to the question "Why should we take you?" This questions is often asked in several forms:
"What can YOU contribute to case method discussion based on background and experience?"
"How will your classmates remember you?"
"How have you grown as a leader?"
I can calm you down, although that will not be the first thing that happens.
I can help you formulate answers to 'ice-breaker' questions such as:
"I already know you from your application, just tell me what you think the three defining moments in your life are?"
"Pretend I have not read your application and I just met you. Tell me who you are, what you've done, and where you want to be 15 years?"
I can help prepare you to face such recently popular questions as:
"What is one thing that is not immediately apparent about you to others?"
"How would your friends describe you?"
"How has the financial crisis impacted you, your friends, your industry and your goals?"

AskSandy--the HBS guru
http://hbsguru.com
app + essay advice, free profile evaluation
GREAT HBS MOCK INTERVIEW service.

Last edited by bb on 12 Mar 2012, 17:47, edited 20 times in total.
added interview questions
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.9
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [5] , given: 0

Re: HBS 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2011, 03:28
This post received
KUDOS
k03 wrote:
Has anyone been through the interview? What were the questions? Where did you take it? thks !

I have just had mine - London hub-office. It was a very nice atmosphere and very friendly. The questions were something like this:
- Run me though your resume and the decisions you have taken to get where you are now
- Was it hard to take the decision to ...
- Why do you think that was
- How was it to study in a foreign country compared to your home country
- How did you choose to concentrate to work on this type of project
- What would you say to somebody who is new to your company
- What is your dreamjob
- What else would you have liked me to ask you

So it was very much along the line of the typical HBS interviews. And though it was very nice, it is very diffcult to judge if I actually did well or not.

Good luck everyone.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: Operations, Marketing
WE 2: Finance, Consulting
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 17 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS 2012 Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2011, 16:08
This post received
KUDOS
lala10 wrote:
Sandy / HBSgrad,
Quick question, after reading the essay analyses done for HBS:

1) For the accomplishments essay, you mentioned that the adcoms often define an accomplishment by tangible and metric results. Is it bad if none of your stories have something that can be measured through numbers (i.e. grew X to Y by doing Z)? Said differently, could the stories be qualitative in nature with the 'right' level of reflection,etc.?

Thanks.

You should have a mix of quantitative and qualitative essays. The HBS AdCom will get bored reading an application with a constant barrage of numbers proving how significant a role an applicant played at work, volunteering at a puppy farm, on his tennis team, on his startup, etc. Boring.

But, the AdCom will also loose interest VERY quickly if everything was qualitative: I did a great job at work and became friends with everyone because I did such a good job - and that's the only thing I can point to as a result of my hard work. Equally boring!

General rule of thumb: if your essay is about personal growth, it can be more quantitative; if your essay is about making a difference, implementing an idea, etc. you better back it up with NUMBERS!!!

HBS Admissions Consultant
hbs.consultant@gmail.com
http://www.hbsadmissionsconsulting.com

HBS Grad
http://www.mbaadcom.com
formerly http://www.hbsadmissionsconsulting.com

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 0

Re: HBS 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2011, 08:19
This post received
KUDOS
spacecurves wrote:
nath99 wrote:
One of my recommenders is running late and it might be Tuesday before he submits it. How lenient are schools with recommenders? or does it have to be in by noon Boston time?

thanks?

Not lenient at all, everything has to be in by the deadline or you're in round 2 pool.

I'm also waiting for LORs, everyone is busy so it comes down to the wire!

From Dee's blog (search for the January 6, 2011 post)

"What if we don't have all your recommendations? We start reading applications if we have 2 recommendations. We'll contact you via email within a couple of weeks to let you know we need the 3rd. If we have only 1 or none, you will be moved into the next decision round."

Even though I have two in, I'm pushing very hard to get the third one done tomorrow. Also, take this with a pinch of salt since HBS might have changed its policy since January.
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 68 [2] , given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: HBS 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2011, 06:13
This post received
KUDOS
Guys, it's never been a secret about what types of backgrounds the top tier MBA programs recruit. If you went into this application process as a nonprofit guy/gal or a humanities major (like me, in both cases), you have to know that you're at a disadvantage compared to somebody applying with 4-5 years experience at M/B/B, Blackstone, TPG, etc. It doesn't matter that you scored a superb GMAT and have a GPA that's well within the middle 80%, or that you wrote the great American novel in your essays. H/S/W use GMAT and GPA, etc to discriminate and distinguish among candidates who are from like backgrounds, NOT to pick applicants from diverse industries over each other.

If you're an Art History major from UConn whose spent the past 4 years working a non-rockstar job (possibly with an unemployment stint due to economic turmoil), it doesn't matter that you scored a 760 and got a 3.7 UGPA.... you're not getting an interview/admit over a guy/gal from Google or KKR who "only" got a 720 and 3.5 (s/he also majored in Economics at H/Y/P).

H/S/W, like all other programs, worry about the hireability of their students, their class profile (stats-wise), and the ability to develop a class that will interact in a manner that is predictable and desirable to them and the head honchos in their administrations. Do they say they want a diverse class, and that they love "oddball" candidates? Sure. But let's be honest, you're not going to wake up one year and find out that the # of incoming students with management consulting w/e has dropped from 21% to 12% because the adcom "loved the oddball candidates this year." We're not going to simply wake up in a fantasy world and find that this year HBS has 18% of its incoming class from entrepreneurial backgrounds.

This whole process will just be easier and less stressful for you if you recognize that, for most of us, the odds are stacked out of our favor, and the best we can do is just apply and see what happens. If you get invited to interview, then good on you, because you obviously did something to make your application stand out in an otherwise unlikely scenario. Take that opportunity and run with it, and hopefully it pans out into an HBS admit! But it's silly to get down on yourself or waste time trying to pyschoanalyze who has already got an invite and who hasn't, especially on a forum like this, where the sample size is so infinitismally small (this thread is tracking 207 applicants for ALL ROUNDS to HBS, when likely around 4,000 applied R1).
2 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 102 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: HBS 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Jan 2012, 08:16
This post received
KUDOS
WALL STREET JOURNAL ARTICLE ON WHARTON'S INTERVIEW MESS OF LAST YEAR, AND WHY THEY NOW USE ONLY ADCOMS AND STUDENTS TO INTERVIEW.

http://t.co/NZ0bIibG

Stanford continues to use alum interviewers as a marketing tool . . .to its less busy alums, who like to be in the loop, The Stanford B school interview almost never makes a difference in an admission outcome, unlike those at HBS (which often can damage you, and in some cases can help). Bolton, the Stanford adcom director, in his more freewheeling days used to admit that Stanford interviews barely count. That fact remains the same, altho Bolton has become less candid. Call that growing into the job.

The Wharton "behavioral" interview process, whatever motivated it (probably the same consultants-profs who sold similar behavioral jive to Stanford and MIT, with no discernable improvement in any part of the admissions process) has been very poorly received by candidates, who feel it is robotic, esp. as implemented by Wharton adcoms and "trained" students (glad they are not claiming to be EMT's). Wharton asks the same small set of questions, which soon leak, even after the big, bad leak of last year, so it actually does make sense to interview late in the process, but these complaints, along with many other complaints, seem to fall upon deaf ears over at the Wharton adcom, who should be answering a behavioral quesetion of their own: "Tell me about a time you really screwed up and what did you about it?" Hmmmm, they screwed up with this interview process, and have done NOTHING about it.
The best interview process is HBS, which uses 95pct admission officers (and some contract alums) and basically exists to get some rough sense if the applicant can function in HBS case method back-and-forth. The questions are common sense and open-ended, e.g. "What is new in your industry?, what do you want to do?, who do you admire?, what was your favorite course in college????" and they try to take the lottery-like elements of stress questions, odd questions, and rigid behavioral questions out of the mix, or if in, well-balanced with other questions, so no one screw-up is a disaster, the way it can be w. Wharton. Sure, no system is perfect, but while Stanford engages in a meaningless exercise, and Wharton continues to engage in Strangelov-ian psuedo science (along with a grading sheet that in its earliest forms looked like a genome print-out), HBS is walking a sensible and humanistic path.

AskSandy--the HBS guru

2 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 11 [2] , given: 8

Re: HBS 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Feb 2012, 11:41
This post received
KUDOS
Dinged as well -I believe that HBS is a great school, but i agree that case-method might not be a perfect fit for everyone. (I think it's especially harder for non-native speakers).

In addition, for the top schools, there is incredible competition out there. When i check this forum, I see people who get into HBS but rejected by Cornell or who are accepted to Sloan but rejected by CBS.

I think there is no secret formula here. All we can do is give it our best shot, then move on.
I wish the best for people made it to Harvard interviews - What a great success!
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 102 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS 2012 Applicants (including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2011, 06:36
This post received
KUDOS
Comment:
If this is a change in HBS policy, do you think this also translates to shafting against applicants whose career vision is to switch into financials/PE/VC? ie. for those interested in the class of 2014, should we avoid stating interest in joining those fields?

Saying that you want to switch careers INTO PE/VC is not a good idea at HBS or any other school--
1. Schools realize it is almost impossible to get PE/VC jobs after MBA UNLESS you already have experience in Investment Banking or PE/VC itself. So you come across as both naive and trouble.
2. Saying you want to switch into PE/VC opens the door a crack (or more) to schools thinking you are $$$ hungry, which of course, is BAAAAD in B school, OK to say that if you apply to Divinity School, but idea of making money as motive to go to B school is a sin.

NOT JOKING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AskSandy--the HBS guru

1 KUDOS received

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS 2012 Applicants (including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 04:35
This post received
KUDOS
Will fired Wall Street Kids face smaller door at HBS??
Important New York Times story about massive summer and fall Wall Street Layoffs.

Quote:
Wall Street Braces for New Layoffs as Profits Wane
By SUSANNE CRAIG
Faced with weak markets and regulatory uncertainty, many of the biggest firms are preparing for deep job cuts.
http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2011/06/16/ ... ayoffs/?hp

Wall Street layoffs usually lead to spiked B school applications, how will that square with HBS trend in accepting fewer finance types?????

AskSandy--the HBS guru

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [1] , given: 7

Re: Calling all HBS 2012 Applicants (including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 13:28
This post received
KUDOS
hbsguru wrote:
hbsguru wrote:
WHITE HOUSE AIDES HEAD FOR HARVARD LAW AND BUSINESS SCHOOL.
MOSTLY LAW SCHOOL, FOR THE BUISNESS SCHOOL KIDS, POLITICO REPORTS

Quote:
Another batch of students, including Bryan Jung, Kyle Watkins and Sarah Cannon, are leaving the White House for Harvard Business School,

Bryan Jung was Larry Summers' Special Assistant and an aid to Biden. I bet having the ex-President of the University write you a rec helped a bit. Having said that, he seemed uniquely qualified regardless of who wrote the rec.

Sarah Cannon was a Yalie that went to Ghana as a research fellow, McKinsey and the Brookings Institute prior to the WH. Her profile was on its way to being HBS caliber well before she landed at the NEC.
1 KUDOS received

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS 2012 Applicants (including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2011, 13:43
This post received
KUDOS
WHEN AM I GETTING MY 2+2 INTERVIEW INVITE????

CONGRATS TO EARLY 2+2 FILERS, DEADLINE WAS NOON TODAY.
Hope Her Majesty Dean Leopold is full of hot dogs are raring to go thru that pile.

When can you expect an interview invite?????

Hmmmmmmmmmm, tuff to say. Last year, when app. was due on JUNE 15TH, THEY STARTED sending out dings and invites
on July 19th, sorta 34 days later. See below, for what each looks like:
But last year the entire 2+2 cohort had to apply by June 15th--this year, 2+2 kids can apply over all four deadlines (July, Oct, Dec, April) sooooooo, in theory they will get less apps for Round one, and send out the first round of dings and invites earlier??? YOU tell me.
Hey Dee, time to blog this, my dear.

Quote:
[JULY 19TH, 2010]
Warm greetings from Harvard Business School!

After careful consideration of your 2+2 Program application materials, we are delighted to inform you that you have been selected for an interview with a member of our MBA Admissions Board. We look forward to the opportunity to get to know you better through our interview process.

We use an online scheduling system to manage our interview process. Since we know that many of our interviewees will need to make travel arrangements to our campus in Boston for their interview, we are sending this message in advance so that you are aware of our interview schedule. We hope this advance notice is helpful to you as you plan for your interview.

All interviews will take place on our campus in Boston. We will have interview slots available at 9:00am, 10:00am, 11:00am, 1:00pm, 2:00pm, and 3:00pm every day from August 18 to August 24. You will receive another email from MBA Admissions at noon on Tuesday, July 20 with a link to our online scheduling system. You will be able to select a specific interview slot at that time. Please note that all of our interview slots are available on a first-come, first-served basis. In the past, our interview slots have filled very quickly, so we encourage you to be prompt in selecting your slot.

You may find it helpful to review the activities available on our campus during your visit, as well as hotel and travel information. Please see our website for more details. Note that we will offer a lunchtime information session exclusively for 2+2 interviewees every day from August 18-24.

Again, we hope this advance notice is helpful to you. Thank you for your interest in Harvard Business School, and we look forward to meeting you soon.

Sincerely yours,
MBA Admissions
Harvard Business School
Soldiers Field Road
Dillon House
Boston, MA 02163

WELL THAT WAS EASY, BUT THEY ALSO SEND OUT THESE: :evil:
Quote:
July 19, 2010

Dear -----:

Thank you for your interest in the Harvard Business School 2+2 Program. We conceived this Program as a way to encourage college leaders to discover the many paths that can be opened by an MBA. This season we received over 800 applications for a Program designed for about 100 participants. We wish we could extend many more offers of admission. I regret to tell you that we are unable to offer you admission to the 2+2 Program.
Although this is disappointing news, please understand that this letter says “not now” vs. “not ever.” The 2+2 cohort is only a small segment of the Harvard Business School MBA Class of 2015; we hope that you will continue to grow and develop as a student and a leader and consider an application to the MBA Program in the future.

Let me close by thanking you again for the spirit of adventure you have demonstrated by applying at this early stage of your professional life. We respect and value the considerable investment you made in your application and hope that the process of reflection and self-assessment has been valuable.

Very truly yours,

Deirdre C. Leopold
Managing Director, MBA Admissions & Financial Aid

AskSandy--the HBS guru

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS 2012 Applicants (including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2011, 11:18
This post received
KUDOS
Here it goes- straight from the director

Yesterday was our deadline for the Summer Round 2+2 applications. Not sure how many times I should be mentioning this but WE'VE CHANGED THE 2+2 PROGRAM THIS YEAR TO MAKE IT POSSIBLE TO APPLY THROUGHOUT YOUR SENIOR YEAR OF COLLEGE. Sorry for the shouting... I just want to be mindful that this transition year will require lots (and lots) of reminders and explaining.

So, this is a message for those who submitted 2+2 applications yesterday. We will be sending out interview invitations on July 22. At that time we will also be releasing any candidates not being interviewed from consideration. All interviews will take place here on campus between August 17-23. Net result is that all Summer Round applicants will be getting some news on July 22.

Now that there are multiple application rounds for 2+2 candidates, we are no longer going to publish stats of applicants/admits from the summer application period. We'll wait until the end of the season to show a 2+2 Class of 2016 Profile. This is in keeping with how we manage the MBA Program stats and profiles.
1 KUDOS received

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS 2012 Applicants (including 2+2) [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2011, 11:12
This post received
KUDOS
fsaq wrote:
Sandy, what is your take on the "Answer a question you wish we had asked" essay? what is it that in your opinion would build a good case towards adcoms?

If you got nothing which needs to explained about grades, scores, missing years in your transcript (classified work for CIA, etc) and ALREADY HAVE CHOSEN SIX SITUATIONS IN ESSAYS ONE AND TWO WHICH SHOW YOU AS MULTI-PURPOSE LEADER AT WORK, IN FAMILY, WITH FRIENDS AND SOMEONE WHO ESPECIALLY HELPS VICTIMS, well then, you can use this essay to either do something obvious:

wish you'd ask me about cooking, book collecting, walking, or whatever you major so-far unstated passion is, or wish you'd ask about my family, or where I come fr. (if interesting and not already dealt with) or wish you'd aksed about my novel/movie in progress, it's about a crazy kid my age who cannot handle rejection, and when he finds out . . . . . .
there is a lot of blood on the screen, so . . . .

Basically, make sure you got all the bases covered b4 you get to this Q, and then you can use it to make them like you, or explain something impt, if you aint done so.

DO NOT SAVE UP GOOD STUFF FOR THIS, USE THAT IN FIRST TWO QUESTIONS.
WHERE IT COUNTS MORE, BY THE TIME READERS GET HERE, YOUR GRADE IS ALREADY IN, SOOOOOO, JUST BE FUNNY, LIKEABLE, AND DONT MESS IT UP.
it is actually quite hard to use this Q positively (because of all the info they got on you already, including resume, grades, scores, work history and other essays) , it only confirms what they already know, or you make some gaff, and it screws you. Sure, in rare cases, people can pull a rabbit out the hat here, but given how dense the app is, in terms of info, not likely. Soooo, family always good, hobbies (if seriously pursued, hobbies themselves can be anything) explanation of background, origins, family, etc. Sure think value added, but note that being engaged and humane and winning, and even quirky in moderation are values they also admire. You could, if all else were exhausted, say, I wish you'd ask me why I'm so nuts about Harry Potter, and explain how the books/movies impacted you at diff ages, etc (Oh, boy, Dee Dee, fasten your 24" seatbelt for 100 of those!!!), that is not going to get you IN, if you otherwise are short on stats, work history, etc. but it could add color to an application, and buy you some forebearance at an interview. (well, a wee bit). But note, done in some goffy or cult way, could also hurt you.
As noted many times, essays more often sink otherwise OK kids than they save marginal ones, but no one is capable of believing that, it seems.
If you read books like 60 Successful HBS Essays, etc. well, about half of those are NOTHING-SPECIAL lint written by otherwise real solid kids, the book should be called, 60 Random Essays by Successful HBS Candidates With High GPA'S, GMATS and Typical Feeder Jobs-- But that is not exactly a great title.

AskSandy--the HBS guru

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 118 [1] , given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Calling all HBS 2012 Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2011, 10:51
This post received
KUDOS
mbaer2012 wrote:
Everyone recycles their essays, right? Meaning, you don't really right fresh essays for every school? Some questions are unique to a school, but why an MBA and certain personal anecdotes I think would apply to every school as far as showing why you think you need an MBA and having one story that talks about who you are. Am I wrong? I've just completed essays for one school and am wondering how much of it I should re-use.

There's no way around a bit of recycling, especially on stock essays like career goals or examples of your leadership. Just make sure you modify the essays to fit exactly what each school is asking, since similar essay subjects are often prompted in subtly different ways. Answering the question you want to answer as opposed to answering the one they actually ask is an easy giveaway that you're recycling essays.

And you should always adapt the essays to fit that particular school--whether it's a matter of the school's location, proximity to certain industries, culture, clubs, experiential learning opportunities, etc. You don't want to make it obvious that you're blasting each school with the same essay without any real thought as to why that school is the right fit for your goals/personality/background/etc.

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations
WE: Operations (Transportation)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 9

Re: Calling all HBS 2012 Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2011, 12:50
This post received
KUDOS
bsmallz wrote:
Since HBS does not have a re-applicant essay, would it be advisable to use my rejection at HBS two years ago as one of the three setbacks in essay #2? My rejection there did cause me to make a lot of changes: switched industries, started a non-profit, and changed my post-MBA career goals. So I do consider my rejection at HBS as an inflection point in my recent life.

I would not say that. It seems politically incorrect to say that you changed your industry, goals,etc to simply have a better chance of getting accepted to HBS. Also, I think that the setbacks they are looking for are more on the line of something that happened in your way to accomplish something meaningul. It seems redundant to say that you consider important or meaningful getting accepted into HBS, and use your rejection as your setback in order to get accepted into Harvard. I dont know, in my opinion it seems shallow in a way unless you give it a twist : "my rejection from Harvard helped me understand that I was not doing anything for this world bla bla so I decided to start a nonprofit to help X type of people or Y cause. While managing this nonprofit, I found that I lacked the necesary business skills to run it and so I decided that I needed an MBA, etc etc..." I dont know, something in those lines but it seems way to hard to transform your harvard rejection into a reason to be accepted.

Thats my honest opinion. Sandy will surely have a better opinion on how to use that situation to your advantage but it seems kinda of hard to transform it because of the redundancy of the situation. Why dont you just talk about the nonprofit you started and a setback you faced there, rather than starting with the Harvard rejection, start with the non-profit foundation ?

Im not sure if this helps. I wish you the best of lucks and you seem to have a good background (GPA and GMAT, and the nonprofit itself).
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '14, Stanford '14
GRE 1: 1420 Q690 V730
GRE 2: 1500 Q770 V730
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS 2012 Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2011, 14:54
This post received
KUDOS
okay here we go....Now officially in the R1 race for the top BS....This is it...the final push
I wish the outcome depended more on me cos then I would have said "I will overcome or die trying"
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 118 [1] , given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Calling all HBS 2012 Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2011, 07:44
This post received
KUDOS
If you think you'll have a stronger application in R2, apply in R2. For most schools R1 is a slight advantage due to more slots being open, but I don't think it's enough to offset the advantage of being able to submit stronger work experience.

If we were debating between R2 and R3 I think it would be a different story, but in your case I think R2 is the way to go.

spivey181 wrote:
I'm going to
apply to HBS this year, but I'm having some difficulty deciding
between R1 and R2. I was just
promoted and started my new
position in July, so I was thinking
of waiting until R2 so that my new
manager can write me a
recommendation.

I consider my new position to be much better job experience than my previous one, and I am thinking that a recommendation after 6 months in that position will be better than one for the 15 months I was in my previous position.

Any thoughts?

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS 2012 Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2011, 19:04
This post received
KUDOS
spivey181 wrote:
I'm going to apply to HBS this year, but I'm having some difficulty deciding between R1 and R2. I was just promoted and started my new position in July, so I was thinking of waiting until R2 so that my new manager can write me a recommendation.

I consider my new position to be much better job experience than my previous one, and I am thinking that a recommendation after 6 months in that position will be better than one for the 15 months I was in my previous position.

Any thoughts?

My suggestion is to apply in R2. You have the slightest statistical advantage applying in R1 - emphasis on 'statistical' because too many other factors come into play to make this statistic meaningful.

Advantages to applying in R2:
1) You can 'practice' applying - apply to a strong safety school in R1, like MIT or Chicago. Practice getting your application together.
2) You can give your recommenders practice, too. Their first recommendation is never going to be their best; they need time to practice, too. Let them work out the kinks on another school's application so you can put your best foot forward for HBS. R2 will also give them more time to put some thought into their recommendation.
3) You have more time to be reflective and introspective. This doesn't come easy for most people. It takes time, effort, feedback, and many iterations to get it right!
4) Yes, your new manager would have a few more months to get to know you BUT a recommendation from a current manager isn't necessary (you can always say that it's 'sensitive' to be applying to b-school at your firm and you don't want your current manager knowing). In fact, I would advise not getting a rec from your current manager if he can't tell a vivid story of seeing you work and managing you! It will be totally counterproductive and detrimental to your application!

Best of luck.

hbs.consultant@gmail.com

HBS Grad

1 KUDOS received

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS 2012 Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2011, 11:18
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Sandy,

Would appreciate your inputs on my chances at hbs

Race: Asian
GPA: 3.8 (engineering school)
GMAT: 710
WE: 2 yrs at top 3 consulting firms working in Marketing-strategty (current), 4 years at well known consulting firm in US

Worried about my age...any schools you think might be less concerned about the age?

Thank you for all your help!

Nath

------------
While there may be some people over 30 at HBS, and while they bend a little on International cases (if that applies here), I would say that number of people with 6 years of consulting experience is VERY FEW and that is hardest to make a case. The fact that some other person is older and got in is inspiring, and adcoms are always pointing to stories like that--of course, there is no rebuttal to the argument that if you dont apply, your chances are zero. But you asked for a data-based and qualitative answer (or maybe not, but that is what you are getting) and the answer is w. that profile, age will be a big drawback at HBS, esp. the six years in consulting and the job changes. As other poster above notes, do not believe what adcoms say about age b.c. they are constantly changing it, well, that is true, and HBS has moved off the youth jihad a bit, and now, as per their style, deny it ever existed, despite their own data contra and official and unofficial statements.
Sure, if you have an otherwise powerful story about identidy politics, being a victim, helping victims, etc. saving the world or you corner of it, they will wink at anything.
All that said, just speaking as an odds-maker, not many kids w. 6 yrs of MC get into HBS, and if anyone knows of anyone, pls post.

AskSandy--the HBS guru

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS 2012 Applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 17:36
This post received
KUDOS
TravelBuzz wrote:
Hey Sandy / HBSGrad,
All great posts.

My question is regarding accomplishment essay.
My understanding is that accomplishment essay is a mix of,
"What you did",
"What impact it made on people, business, etc",
"Why you think it's an achievement" and,
"How it helped you grow"

Considering the limitation of 200 works for each achievement, do you think "Why" factor is really important here? Since they haven't asked for it explicitly.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best

The AdCom wants to feel that they UNDERSTAND you. It's definitely worth 1-2 sentences on WHY the accomplishment is meaningful to you. It can be as simple as: "I deeply value mentorship because I grew up in a foster home. That's why one of my most cherished accomplishments is staring a mentoring program in college." Simple. Done. If you don't have room, figure out a way to cut the junk.

hbs.consultant@gmail.com

HBS Grad

Re: Calling all HBS 2012 Applicants   [#permalink] 07 Sep 2011, 17:36