Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 18:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all HBS Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 0 Q0 V0
GMAT 3: 0 Q0 V0
GMAT 4: 730 Q49 V41
WE: Engineering (Other)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 9

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Calling all HBS Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2014, 06:17
Thank you EBM and byrk :)
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Analyst (Venture Capital)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all HBS Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2014, 11:56
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Yeah, I agree with the one-page limit.
Maybe you can go through it one more time and ask yourself two questions:
"Does this really creates value to my resume and show the Adcom I'm a top professional?" and
" Can I put this information elsewhere in the application?"

This two questions helpe me cut about 150 words from my resumé!
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 147

Kudos [?]: 921 [1] , given: 875

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Calling all HBS Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2014, 04:54
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi, Here is a good post from past year's discussion..........

bostonbound88 wrote:
sh00nya wrote:
That's interesting, what i am missing here is how does the adcom know the post-MBA career goals (esp for career switchers). Is it inferred? presuming the candidate does not mention it in this essay question. I did not find any other section in the application requirements that conveys / helps convey this explicitly.

For last year's application (for class of 2015) it was a VERY short question you fill out online (300 characters or something like that - essentially 2 sentences around "Why an MBA / Harvard").

From everything I've heard from Dee on this subject they really don't like the post-MBA career goal question. Their view is that it's such a hypothetical question it becomes useless. There's no way to know if you're being genuine or if you simply make up a really compelling story for your goals with no intention of actually doing that. They want to create a diverse and talented class that is prime to be successful - and for them the best predictor of future success is to look at why you've done the things you've done in your life.

Obviously it's up to you what to do with the essay but I would just warn to not make the emphasis of what you want to convey about future plans. If your future goals fit nicely with the story of who you are and where you're coming from it would probably fit quite organically. I didn't mention future goals in either of my essays last year and received an interview and only spent 2 minutes of the interview discussing future plans. Obviously they weren't interested in it for my application at least.

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

All MBA Resources All 'Sticky' Topics at one place

Please share your profiles for this application season: 2015 Profiles w/ Admit/Dings Results!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.

BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 130 [0], given: 134

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all HBS Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2014, 12:13
Narenn wrote:
Hi, Here is a good post from past year's discussion..........

bostonbound88 wrote:
sh00nya wrote:
That's interesting, what i am missing here is how does the adcom know the post-MBA career goals (esp for career switchers). Is it inferred? presuming the candidate does not mention it in this essay question. I did not find any other section in the application requirements that conveys / helps convey this explicitly.

For last year's application (for class of 2015) it was a VERY short question you fill out online (300 characters or something like that - essentially 2 sentences around "Why an MBA / Harvard").

From everything I've heard from Dee on this subject they really don't like the post-MBA career goal question. Their view is that it's such a hypothetical question it becomes useless. There's no way to know if you're being genuine or if you simply make up a really compelling story for your goals with no intention of actually doing that. They want to create a diverse and talented class that is prime to be successful - and for them the best predictor of future success is to look at why you've done the things you've done in your life.

Obviously it's up to you what to do with the essay but I would just warn to not make the emphasis of what you want to convey about future plans. If your future goals fit nicely with the story of who you are and where you're coming from it would probably fit quite organically. I didn't mention future goals in either of my essays last year and received an interview and only spent 2 minutes of the interview discussing future plans. Obviously they weren't interested in it for my application at least.

That's great! I don't think I saw that "Why an MBA / Harvard" in the app this year?

Latest Blog Posts (Updated August 27)*
- What MBA Blogs does an MBA Blogger read?
- Introducing TheEngineerMBA

Check it out at http://grantmeadmission.com/

-------------------
Check out my GMAT guide: "How I got a 710 on my first try"
57 essay analyses available here: http://grantmeadmission.com/essay-analysis/

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 20

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all HBS Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2014, 07:08
Question for the group about resumes:

What do you all think about using the standard HBS resume format that current students and graduates use? I like it, it's one page, and they are familiar with it. Would it be faux pas?

Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

CAT Tests
Re: Calling all HBS Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2014, 07:58
IN
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 118 [1] , given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Calling all HBS Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2014, 08:34
This post received
KUDOS
FPBULL wrote:
Question for the group about resumes:

What do you all think about using the standard HBS resume format that current students and graduates use? I like it, it's one page, and they are familiar with it. Would it be faux pas?

Thanks in advance.

It's fine if you want to use it and adcom isn't going to find it presumptuous or anything. I wouldn't recommend spending hours reformatting an already-good resume just to fit HBS's format though...you'll have plenty of time and coaching on how to do that after you're admitted.

http://www.militarytobusiness.com/

Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

CLASS VISITS!!! [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2014, 09:00
FROM HBS Admissions Blog: CLASS VISITS!!!
We’re officially in Back-to-School mode and want you to know how we welcome visitors to campus.

Registration for our September class visits opens on Friday, August 15. A couple of things about these first few weeks of visits:

• The date that you can first visit a class is September 10th. This is after the Round 1 deadline. While we would love for you to see a class in action (we think our classroom experience is distinctive, special, magical, etc.), whether you visit or not does not influence the evaluation process one way or the other. Should you be invited to interview and choose to come to campus to do so, you will have an opportunity to sit in on a class. In the meantime, you can familiarize yourself with the case method through our video Inside the Case Method.

• September visits are for SECOND YEAR CLASSES. Faculty like to give our new first year students a chance to settle in a bit with the case method and their sectionmates before visitors arrive. Visitors begin to sit in on first year classes in early October. Registration will be available in early September.

In addition to class visits, in September, our second year students begin leading our tours and information sessions. This is a great way to hear from current students about the MBA program. We will also always have an admissions staff member at these sessions as well. Please check the events section of our website for the schedule of tours and info sessions.

I must close with another enthusiastic plug for Inside the Case Method. While we do love you to come see us in person, there is truly no need to make an expensive pilgrimage. However, we do want you to understand that the case method is the signature pedagogy here at HBS – every day! Watching this video will give you a good sense of how and why we are so committed to this provocative way of learning.

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
GMAT 2: 680 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Analyst (Venture Capital)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all HBS Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2014, 12:51
yeah, I agree. I think it makes sense that the Adcom will evaluate you based on the content of your resumé, not on its format.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 7

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Calling all HBS Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2014, 12:22
In for R1, but don't really have a clue on how to answer the essay prompt :S

I'm amazed that several of you have already completed their essays
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 118 [2] , given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Calling all HBS Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2014, 13:09
This post received
KUDOS
masoy wrote:

It can vary from person to person, but seeing how the prompt explains that they can already see the "who/what" parts of your career, it makes a lot of sense to use the essay to explain the "why" part...i.e. what experiences have shaped your character and changed your perspective on your life/career, why you chose to do some of the things you did, why an MBA/HBS is the next logical step, and why you think you'll make a big impact afterwards.

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 7

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Calling all HBS Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2014, 13:25
Thanks EBM. This will give me a starting point
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
WE: Project Management (Advertising and PR)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 33

Re: Calling all HBS Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2014, 05:58
EBM wrote:
masoy wrote:

It can vary from person to person, but seeing how the prompt explains that they can already see the "who/what" parts of your career, it makes a lot of sense to use the essay to explain the "why" part...i.e. what experiences have shaped your character and changed your perspective on your life/career, why you chose to do some of the things you did, why an MBA/HBS is the next logical step, and why you think you'll make a big impact afterwards.

@Masoy I've gotta agree with @EBM the essay is going to vary from person to person and that's what makes it such a unique and difficult question to answer. I just finished my essay within the last two weeks and I'm working on the final stages of peer reviews. But trust me, I've been working on them since June and have gone through 20+ drafts and versions. If you need some extra guidance I'd recommend taking a look at The Unofficial Harvard Business School Essay Book. Its was just recently updated with essay from last years class who answered the same questions we are for this class.

http://www.harbus.org/the-essay-book/

And of course there is also snarky Sandy's review of a few essays. As much as I personally don't like the guys attitude, he does have some interesting things to say. - Worth a read -

http://www.mbaprogramsnews.com/tag/admi ... _IE17xdXDI
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V48
GPA: 3.4

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2014, 08:46
Long time lurker, first time poster - in for Round 1 too!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.55
WE: Asset Management (Non-Profit and Government)

Re: Calling all HBS Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2014, 00:09
Hey friends,

My resume format changes a bit when I see it in the previewer. How should I approach this problem? Do the admissions team download the resume and view it in Microsoft Word?

Thanks.
Orgil
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: General Management
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 13

Premium Member
Re: Calling all HBS Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2014, 03:43
Can you upload it as a PDF instead of a word doc?

orgilsed wrote:
Hey friends,

My resume format changes a bit when I see it in the previewer. How should I approach this problem? Do the admissions team download the resume and view it in Microsoft Word?

Thanks.
Orgil

Posted from my mobile device Image

Advice, Musings, and Experiences from a member of the HBS Class of 2016
http://DefyingGravityMBA.blogspot.com/

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all HBS Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2014, 07:11
Hey Guys,

First post this admission season.
I was wondering about the length of the resume. I know one page is the usual standard. But considering the Harvard Essay prompt this year, I was not sure if resume be could be longer. Further the instructions once you start the application states
"Resume
Instructions: Please provide a current resume or CV. Ideally, this would be about 1-2 pages in length, but we're not going to make a fuss if yours happens to be longer than that. "

What are your thoughts ?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 4

Premium Member
Re: Calling all HBS Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2014, 08:45
vinaykprao1987 wrote:
Hey Guys,

First post this admission season.
I was wondering about the length of the resume. I know one page is the usual standard. But considering the Harvard Essay prompt this year, I was not sure if resume be could be longer. Further the instructions once you start the application states
"Resume
Instructions: Please provide a current resume or CV. Ideally, this would be about 1-2 pages in length, but we're not going to make a fuss if yours happens to be longer than that. "

What are your thoughts ?

See my post a page or two back--unless you've got 15-20 years of work experience, there's no reason you can't distill your important accomplishments down to a one-page resume.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Financial Aid: How We Do It At HBS [#permalink] New post 20 Aug 2014, 11:00
FROM HBS Admissions Blog: Financial Aid: How We Do It At HBS
You don’t need me to tell you that business school is an expensive undertaking. Beyond the actual tuition and living expenses, there are the difficult-to-truly-calculate opportunity costs. Everyone whom we admit is undoubtedly doing VERY well out there in the Real World. Embarking on a two year business school adventure is a big decision.

We want to make it affordable.

Last year we awarded about $26 million in need-based financial aid. We plan to increase the amount for the Class of 2017.

Where does this money come from? Our alumni. They look back on the HBS experience as having been transformational in both professional and personal ways and they are eager to give back. Their favorite way to do this is through financial aid.

You’ve heard this before but I want to repeat it: our admissions process is need-blind. Although we ask for your income, this is more for us to understand different industries/paths vs. anything to do with evaluation. Our financial aid is need-based.

Here are 3 bullet points which may be helpful:

• We do not award full fellowships. This means that no student will be fully funded by HBS.

• You do not apply for financial aid until AFTER you receive an offer of admission.

• We have a loan program for international students which does not require a U.S. co-signer.

After you have completed a financial aid application, you will receive an award package from HBS. In making our awards, we rely on a formula which takes into account whether you are single or married and can be adjusted for documented exceptional circumstances. Parental income and assets are not considered in the calculation.

Let me repeat what I said earlier: we want to make HBS affordable. We want you to make post-MBA career decisions based on your dreams and aspirations, not a burdensome debt repayment obligation. We believe in the value proposition of our MBA - a place where leadership talent becomes a force to make a positive difference in the world. And we are confident that our students will become the alumni who are enthusiastic about enabling the next generation of HBS-aspirants to do the same.

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.7
WE: Management Consulting (Consulting)

Re: Calling all HBS Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2014, 08:43
Really excited to go through this process. Almost done with my application and essay. Looks like I can submit by Labor Day. Good luck everyone!
Re: Calling all HBS Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2017   [#permalink] 21 Aug 2014, 08:43