Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 22:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 157 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 12:26
This post received
KUDOS
Good idea, Foodstamp! I've updated the first page.
Please, if anybody is not listed (or listed with wrong status), just say so.

Good luck to all HBS applicants!
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Oxford
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 157 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 12:47
This post received
KUDOS
foodstamp wrote:
We should add some color and team stats like on the Kellogg thread

Not much color to add... nobody was dinged, right? So, no red :) Just a touch of blue for those interviewed.
As for the teams, I think it will be better if some of the mods who applied/is applying to HBS will do some creative naming :wink:

Oh, and I think that k88 is already in the list, but I've forgotten his/her previous nickname...
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2008, 11:55
This post received
KUDOS
Hi Guys,

Just gave my interview over the phone. I think disastrous would be a lighter word for this experience. We lost the line once and I officially suck in telephonic interviews.

A brief debrief:

Q1: Where are you right now?
Q2: How did you find the application process?
Q3: What did you learn the most about yourself from this process?
Ans: I started answering gibberish, so she stopped me and asked the question again. Then I spoke gibberish again and I guess she gave up.
Q4: Can you explain me your job in laymen terms?
Q5: Can you be more technical than that? :shock: :roll:
Q6: What is the most challenging aspect of this job?
Then we lost the line.

Q7: How do you go about mentoring your juniors? What are the challenges?
Q8: What did you learn about yourself from doing so?
Q9: How did you have to adapt your leadership style? Give example.
Q10: What is one misconception people have about you?
I tried to be humorous, fumbled, and then asked her to give me a minute to think about it. Then I spoke gibberish.
Q11: What is your career goals and what are two things you will take away from the MBA program from HBS?
Q12: What are two things you will give to the MBA class, how will your classmates remember you?
Q13: Is there anything you wish to say that has not been covered yet. Only this was where I pulled back by a personal story not covered anywhere in my application (not sure about recos). She ended on a Wow.

Then we ended with the usual good luck, we will give you a decision midday on 21st Jan by email.

Gosh!! That writeup was as horrible as the interview it self. Man, I suck today!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Booth 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 71 [1] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2008, 15:04
This post received
KUDOS
Mikus wrote:
I would not worry about this at all. My interviewer intentionally only gave out a "generic" email address and not his personal one. He said the committee is doing this to prevent a huge backlog of emails. I sent a thank you note to the generic email, and it got bounced because the inbox was overquota. So long story short, I wouldn't worry about it at all-- they're not expecting anything. I would even go so far as to say that they are discouraging interviewer follow-ups.

Pretty funny that the adcom inbox filled up! I interviewed pretty early on, so i must have made it in time! :-) Clearly sounds like it doesn't matter given your story.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 17:30
This post received
KUDOS
When I was accepted into the 2+2 program in September, I received an email telling me to check my online profile for my decision. An hour or so later my interviewer called and later in the evening the admissions director called. I'm in a smaller group however and it was a slower time of the year so who knows how it is for the regular admits.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Dec 2008, 12:00
This post received
KUDOS
hey guys...one observation for Round 2 applicants..Although HBS is ultra selective and viewed as somewhat more elite/snob than other top MBA programs it is also one of the most human ones. The adcoms I met and talked were all ultra ultra NICE...They were all interested in me as a person, my passions, and mostly what separates me from others in terms of extracarriculars. They are aware that all the applicants are ultra-achievers with good GPAs, GMATS and work experience...so they look for what makes you tick as a person professionally and socially. The sense I got from them and the process is that they really want to get the know the person behind the applications so PLEASE: in your accomplishment essay please do not fill it with work accomplishments, at least reserve one accomplishment to talk about something you do outside of work. I know a guy who got accepted talked about how he made time to go to the opera, some others play an instrument, one was a DJ...For some polished people these sound corny and bulls.it but they value these kind of things. In my interview I was never asked Why MBA, Why now, plans for the future, but instead she probed into the extracarricular stuff that made the person behind application come alive. As everybody knows, Harvard MBA education system (case method) installs some personal attributes to the student. Being prepared before class, being able to extract related info from a long case, defending a point of view infront of other business leaders, having good communication skills.. So they value the charisma, the personality as much as the numbers in your applications. So do not be afraid to be personal and natural in your essays...

Good luck...
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 60

Kudos [?]: 666 [1] , given: 781

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2009, 09:51
This post received
KUDOS
agold wrote:
cpgmba wrote:
I'M IN!!! HOLY CRAP!

I knew you'd get it when they invited you! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you wont change, will you.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: HBS Class of 2011
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 49 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2009, 09:02
This post received
KUDOS
I GOT ONE!!! I GOT ONE!!!! :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Interview invite! Can't believe it. Check your e-mails guys/gals!!
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: HBS Class of 2011
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 49 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2009, 09:24
This post received
KUDOS
ashaker wrote:
congrags foodstamp !
nothing here man..i guess this is the end of the road for my harvard dreams..

Thanks guys!

Everyone still has a chance! Dee made it clear that the invites sent out today aren't the only invites they will extend in R2.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: HBS - Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2009, 13:16
This post received
KUDOS
I also received an interview invite. That is 3 out of 3 (H/S/W) for R2 for me :)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2009, 11:09
This post received
KUDOS
HI I REALISE THIS MAY BE THE WRONG PLACE TO BE ASKING THIS QUESTION... BUT I AM NOT ABLE TO FIND THE RIGHT PLACE WHERE SOMEBODY CAN GIVE ME THE ANSWERS I WANT....

I HAVE A EXP OF 7 MONTHS TO DATE... I AM PLANNING TO JOIN A SCHOOL IN SEP 2010 WHEN I WILL HAVE 2 YEARS EXP. I HAVE A 9.04 OUT OF 10 CGPA IN B.TECH AND 91% IN 12TH AND 93.5 IN 10TH. SOME SMALL INSTANCES OF LEADERSHIP IN SCHOOL AND COLLEGE DAYS ALSO BUT NOTHING MAJOR.... CAN ANY BODY TELL ME HOW GOOD MY PROFIL WILL BE WITH A GOOD GMAT SCORE.... WILL I BE ABLE TO MAK IT ESPECIALLY AS I HAVE LESS WORK EXP... AND ALSO WAT OTHER SCHOOLS I MAY HAVE A DECENT OPPURTUNITY.... PLEASE ANSWER

THANK YOU
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross, Kellogg, Darden (i/v)

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2009, 14:38
This post received
KUDOS
priyamishra wrote:
HI I REALISE THIS MAY BE THE WRONG PLACE TO BE ASKING THIS QUESTION... BUT I AM NOT ABLE TO FIND THE RIGHT PLACE WHERE SOMEBODY CAN GIVE ME THE ANSWERS I WANT....

I HAVE A EXP OF 7 MONTHS TO DATE... I AM PLANNING TO JOIN A SCHOOL IN SEP 2010 WHEN I WILL HAVE 2 YEARS EXP. I HAVE A 9.04 OUT OF 10 CGPA IN B.TECH AND 91% IN 12TH AND 93.5 IN 10TH. SOME SMALL INSTANCES OF LEADERSHIP IN SCHOOL AND COLLEGE DAYS ALSO BUT NOTHING MAJOR.... CAN ANY BODY TELL ME HOW GOOD MY PROFIL WILL BE WITH A GOOD GMAT SCORE.... WILL I BE ABLE TO MAK IT ESPECIALLY AS I HAVE LESS WORK EXP... AND ALSO WAT OTHER SCHOOLS I MAY HAVE A DECENT OPPURTUNITY.... PLEASE ANSWER

THANK YOU

1. Pls avoid caps.

2. This might be a better place.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Harvard, Wharton, Texas, MIT, Kellogg

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2009, 23:31
This post received
KUDOS
Hey Guys,

Finished my HBS on campus Interview, and I wish I could say I felt good coming out of it, but it was definitely a daunting experience.

Like a lot of other people have reported, it was 30 minutes on the dot. Very few pleasantries, the interviewer explained the process, reiterated that if she interrupted it wasn't because she was trying to be rude, and that she had read my file.

Most of the questions were very specific to my application - we jumped around a lot. She threw random questions at me that weren't specific such as:

Why my undergrad institution
What book i've recently read
What I think of the current financial markets

All in all, it reminded me of an I-bank interview - keeping me off balance and asking digging questions. The questions I had prepared, didn't come up at all (resources: Montauk, clearadmit.com, etc.), and I definitely felt as if I fumbled through a few of the answers.

The best advice I can give, is to really take a second before answering questions, it definitely would have made my thoughts that much clearer.

Good Luck to Everyone
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [1] , given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2009, 13:35
This post received
KUDOS
A useful "Something for Everyone" blog entry:

http://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/blog.html

Something for Everyone!
Date: March 24, 2009
This is the time of year when we have all three rounds in play, so here is some news for everyone:

Round One Waitlist - We will be extending offers of admission to about 40 round one waitlisters shortly after April 2. We will continue to maintain a waitlist and Eileen Chang will send out an update in early April.

Round Two Notification - April 2 is the notification date. All decisions will be released online - you will receive an email instructing you to check your status. We won't be making any congratulatory phone calls in advance of April 2!

Round Three Interview Invitations - Many, but not all, will go out on April 3.

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: General Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS fall-'09 applicants [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 06:30
OK guys,
I'll go first......
Why do you think HBS is leading the drive to go younger??

Eat like a Pig, Lift like a Demon & Sleep like Dead.............

Current Student
Schools: Wharton '11

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS fall-'09 applicants [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 06:54
Really not sure but that's not in my favor as I will have 6 years of experience when school starts... :(
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS fall-'09 applicants [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 09:44
HBS will be VERY tough if you have lots of w/e, unless you are ex-military or did something unique. Most of the kids I met at Wharton Welcome Weekend were absolutely fabulous, but had gotten dinged by HBS b/c they had 5-6 years experience (typical example: a guy with 3 yrs in M&A at Lazard, and 2 years in a top PE firm; one guy with 3 years at McK and 2 years in early stage VC). So good luck but just know it's tough if you are over 27
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: General Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS fall-'09 applicants [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 10:45
Quote:
Most of the kids I met at Wharton Welcome Weekend were absolutely fabulous, but had gotten dinged by HBS b/c they had 5-6 years experience

Kids having 5-6 yrs. exp.??? how old are you?? 80??? :P
Nah..... I m not worried as I m 24 now....... 25 when hopefully matriculate........ So, this news is roses for me, but I was concerned about the motive behind this "innovation".....

Eat like a Pig, Lift like a Demon & Sleep like Dead.............

SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS fall-'09 applicants [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 10:53
Wow, you are all starting early. I will sticky this thread for a while so that people dont start multiple threads.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton '11

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS fall-'09 applicants [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 13:09
I think that I do have something special to offer as I have extensive leadership experience in the community and at work. HBS would be the best fit and I love the case method. I would be happy with Wharton but I really want HBS. If they base their choices on age then it is too bad. Hopefully that won't be an issue. I mean , I am not that old... lol

I feel really old now... :)
Re: Calling all HBS fall-'09 applicants   [#permalink] 04 May 2008, 13:09