Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 15:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE: General Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 May 2008, 06:22
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
HBS Fall 2009 Applicants:

Round 1 GMATClub Stats:

Total Applicants 40
Admits: 6
Interviewed: 19
Dings: 18
Waitlisted: 6
Unknown: 8

msday - Accepted and Matriculating
Bball - Accepted and Matriculating
BigBad - Accepted and Matriculating
cpgmba - Accepted and Matriculating

Mikus - Accepted (Withdrawn for Stanford GSB)
zoinnk - Accepted
(Withdrawn for Wharton)
gt7er - Interviewed
js594 - Interviewed
MattG2185 - Interviewed
rosav - Interviewed Waitlisted Accepted 4/3
hobart - Interviewed Waitlisted Accepted 4/2
k88 - Interviewed Waitlisted
krispy - Interviewed Waitlisted
mikenyc - Interviewed Waitlisted
rca215 - Interviewed Waitlisted
CompanyMan - Interviewed Dinged
egy - Interviewed Dinged
emirtumen - Interviewed Dinged
falibay - Interviewed Dinged
Mishari - Interviewed Dinged
AZCFA
balki1867
BSchoolorBust
Milspec
walker
Zenzen
belfi
devansh_god
Gil
irishspring
isa
olive
MeddlingKid
nj24
OhThatMBA
Paradosso
pguard
Sept09
terp26

Round 2 GMATClub Stats:

Total Applicants: 31
Admits: 5
Interviewed: 7
Dings: 4
Unknown: 21

matterhorn762 - ACCEPTED and MATRICULATING
Atlantic - ACCEPTED and MATRICULATING
ma.agrawal - ACCEPTED and MATRICULATING
garbus222 - ACCEPTED and MATRICULATING
foodstamp - ACCEPTED and MATRICULATING

Magellan - Waitlisted
ashaker - Ding
MBAAspirant2008 - Ding
lasttotheparty - Ding
maverick2011 -Ding w/ int

bouncer1981
cesc4
csboard23
dglasser
fresinha12
hannah10010
levfin2003
llest
ndiaconu
oziozzie
peaceyall
praz
preeyah
sset009
stopper5
sudhir18n
syd999
syings
TL
Wolfie2011
ZoeMoe

Class of 2011 Essays:
What are your three most substantial accomplishments and why do you view them as such? (600-word limit)
What have you learned from a mistake? (400-word limit)

Please respond to two of the following (400-word limit each):
What would you like the MBA Admissions Board to know about your undergraduate academic experience?
Discuss how you have engaged with a community or organization.
What area of the world are you most curious about and why?
What is your career vision and why is this choice meaningful to you?

Joint degree applicants:
How do you expect the joint degree experience to benefit you on both a professional and a personal level? (400-word limit)

Recommender Questions for the Class of 2011
Recommendations must be completed online. The form includes essay questions along with other types of questions.

Please comment on the context of your interaction with the applicant. How long have you known the applicant and in what connection? If applicable, briefly describe the applicant's role in your organization. (250-word limit)
Please describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant's response. (250-word limit)
Please make additional statements about the applicant's performance, potential, or personal qualities you believe would be helpful to the MBA Admissions Board. (250-word limit)

Also the filing deadlines were reported as follows:
Application Periods: Application submitted online by 5 p.m. EST: Notification of the MBA Admissions Board's decision:
Round 1 October 15, 2008 January 21, 2009
Round 2 January 6, 2009 April 2, 2009
Round 3 March 11, 2009 May 13, 2009

For better viewing, click here:

Deadlines and

Written Application

Ok, Here's a brief summary of HBS class of 2009......

Class of 2009
Total MBA Enrollment 901
Applications 7,424
% Admitted 14%
Yield 89%

Class Composition
Female 36%
US Ethnic Minorities 24%
International 33%
Admits Within 3 Years of College Graduation 34%

Undergraduate Majors
Humanities and Social Sciences 36%
Engineering and Natural Sciences 34%
Business Administration 25%
Other 5%

Months of Work Experience
Average Months of Post-College Work Experience 48
Range of Months of Work Experience 0-160

Pre-MBA Industry
Consulting 20%
Other Services 11%
High Tech/Communications 7%
Venture Capital/Private Equity 13%
Manufacturing 8%
Non-Profit 8%
Investment Banking 8%
Consumer Products 6%
Healthcare/Biotech 6%
Other Financial Services 5%
Military 3%
Investment Management 3%
Other 2%

Citizenship
North America 69% (United States 63% )
Asia/South Pacific 13%
Europe 11%
Central and South America 4%
Africa 2%
Oceania 1%

Let's pour out all our love(and disgust) for HBS in this thread....... :wink:

Last edited by devansh_god on 22 Jan 2009, 11:32, edited 48 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
9 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 32 [9] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2008, 08:29
This post received
KUDOS
Had my interview on-campus yesterday. This was hopefully my last interview! (Already interviewed at Kellogg, Michigan, and Duke) Below is a recap of my visit:

Interview
Upon arriving to Dillon House, I was greeted by Sally, who was the friendliest person I've encountered working in an admissions office. She definitely relaxes everyone a bit before the interview. My interviewer came and got me and took me up to an office. She was extremely nice and friendly, but reminded me that we only have 30 minutes, so she may cut me off at times to make sure we get through everything in time. Overall, I enjoyed this interview more than any others. Possibly because I had a can't lose, underdog mentality going into it. But more likely due to the fact that it's not blind and they really seem like they want to get to know you and what makes you tick. Like everyone else said, there were no questions on Why HBS or Why MBS. My biggest piece of advice: IF YOU TELL A STORY OR GIVE AN EXAMPLE, GET READY TO GO INTO DEPTH ABOUT IT AS YOU WILL LIKELY BE PROBED. I would give an example and from that example, she would ask 3 or 4 other questions. Below are the questions I was asked:

Asked me why I had passion for the industry I am going in to? (I mentioned passion for it in my essays)
3 qualities I'd like to be remembered for 20 years from now (career focused)
She dug very deep into my career goals essays. Asked me why I wanted to accomplish them? How would I accomplish them? How would I balance these goals with the goals of an organization? Asked for specific examples.
3 additional failures besides the one in my essay.
What is an industry I would NOT like to go into? Why?
What is my ideal/dream job?
What country I am most interested in? (This was one of the optional essay questions which I did not answer)
Anything I wish she would have asked me?

While these questions are definitely more difficult to prepare for than the standard questions, I preferred them as I felt that HBS really wanted to get to know me. I also really liked the interview because it felt like she was genuinely interested to learn about me. You could also tell they wanted to make sure what I wrote in the essays was authentic and that I had clearly thought everything out. As long as you were sincere in your essays, you should be fine.

Campus
I love HBS's campus. Compared to most other b-schools, it's a true college campus to me. Multiple red bricked buildings and lots of green everywhere. I was amazed at how nice the facilities were. I didn't expect this given the outside of the buildings were so old. I preferred the facilities at HBS compared to Ross' new building. HBS feels very comfortable and classy while Ross' is very modern and industrial (although extremely nice). Shad, the workout facility, is country club-esque. While most schools have a basic large workout room similar to a nice hotel, HBS's was like a full gym/spa. Cardio room, weight room, basketball courts, racquet ball courts, aerobics rooms, sauna, hot tubs, etc. (By the way, it's free for students and only MBA students/partners can use it.) I was also really impressed with the eating facilities on campus. There are two restaurants on top of each other in one of the main halls. Both have the typical stations where you choose your cuisine from an array of options. The bottom one is like a classy sports bar with dark wood and TVs all around; and yes a bar that serves alcohol. The upstairs restaurant is a bit nicer in regards to food and atmosphere. The grilled burrito ($5.55) I had was excellent!

Students
This was the biggest shock to me. HBS students tend to have this reputation that their s&!t doesn't stink. I'm sure there are some there like that, as with any school, but the majority of students I encountered were genuine and down to earth. There was lots of diversity which was expected. The energy from the students was great as well. (Maybe because most of the 1Ys just finished finals!) I initially thought I would "fit" in better with students at some of the team oriented schools such as Kellogg and Ross, however after my visit to HBS I believe I would also fit in very well here.

Overall, it was a great visit. I felt I did very well on my interview, but because it's HBS I don't want to get my hopes up. However, it was definitely an amazing feeling walking around that campus and I would love to spend the next 2 years there!

Let me know if you have any questions!
4 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 33 [4] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2008, 19:35
This post received
KUDOS
The final R1 lap has begun... good luck to everybody...!

Update on Round One
Date: December 22, 2008

Greetings from snowy Boston...

Just a few things before the office officially closes for the holiday break from December 24 through January 4.

This week - and up until the notification day on January 21 - we are reviewing candidates post-interview and also building the Round One waitlist. I expect that around 100 Round One candidates not yet invited to interview will be asked to join the waitlist on notification day. As we get a closer look at Round Two candidates, we will be inviting some of the waitlisters to interview in the Round Two cycle. Thus, you could say that a Round One waitlist decision is essentially a "further consideration" message. Everyone asked to join the waitlist will receive detailed information about the process and will have a contact person in Dillon House. We have every intention of admitting some candidates from the waitlist.

For those of you working on Round Two applications, expect a message here early next week.

Wishing you all happy, safe and peaceful holidays.

http://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/blog. ... 2008-12-22
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 5 [3] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2008, 18:37
This post received
KUDOS
bball wrote:
I was also under the impression that HBS doesn't look kindly upon peer recs. I think if you want to be safe, go with the supervisor rec. I went with 3 supervisors (2 work and 1 volunteer) and I think it turned out well although it's very difficult to tell since recs are just 1 part of the app.

Side note: anyone complete their R1 interview these past couple days and want to share their experience? it would be greatly appreciated! :-D

Hi bball,

I just had my HBS interview. My interviewer was pretty nice, and spent the first couple minutes talking about how the interview was going to go, probably as a way to calm all the nervous interviewees down. The first 15 minutes of questions were mainly about my company & my group, and some follow-up questions around my and my team's responsibilities. Last 15 minutes were about me--strengths, weaknesses, and "Why MBA, why HBS?". Some of these had follow-up questions, so be ready to elaborate on anything you say! Lastly, he asked if there were any questions he hadn't asked that I wish he would have asked. That's all I can remember now, the rest is a bit of a blur! The 30 min goes by VERY quick. Hope this helps and good luck!
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Yale SOM '11
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS fall-'09 applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2008, 16:35
This post received
KUDOS
cpgmba wrote:
Does anyone know when HBS starts sending out invites?

Nov 12th.

Source: http://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/blog.html
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 62 [2] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 13:01
This post received
KUDOS
foodstamp wrote:
Awesome. Thanks! +1

We should add some color and team stats like on the Kellogg thread :-D

Tweaked the front page a little bit...
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 33 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 09:09
This post received
KUDOS
CompanyMan wrote:
Mikus,

Given your excitement, I take it that you will be joining HBS over Wharton, if you get through.

I honestly don't know what my comparative preferences are, but I do know I'd be happy at any of the schools I applied to. I try not to rank schools I haven't yet heard back from because I think that's a recipe for heartbreak... :(

Guess I'm just classic risk averse. What about you?
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)

Kudos [?]: 62 [2] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2009, 09:41
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats foodstamp!

No interview invite here, either. Here's to the class of 2012!! :beer
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, MIT Sloan, Stanford, Haas (withdrew with interview invite)

Kudos [?]: 10 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2009, 18:04
This post received
KUDOS
Good Luck to all the R2 interviewees!

The most helpful (and calming) advice I had was from a current RC student. He said they test the following three areas during the interview:

1. Can you speak English well enough to succeed with the case method?
2. Did you lie on your application? They will probe your essays for detail. If you told the truth, you have nothing to worry about here. Just re-read your essays and refresh your memory with the details.
3. Can you pass an 'airplane test'? In other words, if the interviewer were stuck next to you on a long flight, would he/she be happy to chat with you for hours? My advice here is to be yourself. Don't be arrogant or pretentious. Be friendly, personable, down-to-earth and respectful. Shower :-)

If you read back to the posts from R1, you'll find that almost everyone reported that their interviewers were really nice!
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Harvard, Wharton, Texas, MIT, Kellogg
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2009, 18:25
This post received
KUDOS
I just recieved my HBS invite today. I was a little worried because the supposed February 9th "deadline" came and went, but they are still sending out invites. Good Luck to everyone else, and hang in there.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [1] , given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS fall-'09 applicants [#permalink] New post 22 May 2008, 10:38
This post received
KUDOS
forcefeed wrote:
rca215 wrote:
Question on recommender selection -

I'm having trouble choosing a 3rd recommender for HBS. I've worked at the same company my entire career and I'm too far off from college to use someone from then. It's not a client business, so I don't have that option. And the only volunteerism-related person who makes sense has some mental disabilities that make it not make sense (for me and her). So does anyone have thoughts on whether it's bad to have 3 recommenders all from the same company? If not, any ideas on what other types of recommenders people use?

Thanks!

All 3 of my recommenders were from my current employer: 2 former managers and a manager I have worked very closely in the past. Try to have each recommender shed light on different aspects of your application and show why you would be a perfect fit.

Thanks for the response. It is reassuring, and your comments have given me an idea for how to approach things.

1) My boss: an HBS alum who can very strategically position her comments with specific insights about how I'm a fit for the community
2) My boss' boss: the CEO, who will probably give a more high-level, esoteric assessment of me as a promising young person with great leadership potential
3) Someone else within the organization who can speak more for my cross-functional, teamwork abilities.

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS fall-'09 applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 17:19
This post received
KUDOS
Hi there,

You have a pretty impressive educational background and a very strong GMAT score. Now onto to your chances!

Your reasoning to get an MBA would not be a sufficient answer for HBS. An MBA from HBS will not give you international experience. However, it will give you the skills needed to lead on an international playing field. Moreover, based on your educational background and your experience, the adcomm will be hard pressed to find out how you would benefit from an MBA at HBS. When writing your essay, you must convincingly explain why a MBA from HBS will help you get to that next step at such late stage in the game (only becuase of age), as you are already on your way to success.

Yes their may be 40 year old's at HBS, but a very small number since HBS is trending younger. The average age at HBS is 24-27. I think you may be better off applying to Wharton as thier are more age forgiving. Plus, with your Master of Science, Master of Finance, PhD in Nanophysics you would definitely fit the profile of what they are looking for. Since Wharton is known for being a very quantitative school.

Overall, i think your chances are good for HBS. You certainely got the credentials. All you need is a good story to back it up.

Good Luck!!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg '11 (MMM)
WE 1: Engineer at a Food & Beverage Company
WE 2: Engineer at an Automotive Supplier
WE 3: Consultant at a Management Consulting Firm

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS fall-'09 applicants [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2008, 15:23
This post received
KUDOS
I just submitted for R1 today. Hopefully my last two recommenders will make the deadline. (One is working on it as we speak, the other said he started and has almost finished).

edit: both of my last two recs got theirs in ~4pm today :)

I guess I'm in for round I.

"You can only be young once. But you can always be immature."

Last edited by balki1867 on 15 Oct 2008, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Booth 2012

Kudos [?]: 71 [1] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2008, 10:45
This post received
KUDOS
I did not submit early - got it out 12h before the deadline. :-D :-D :-D :-D
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Booth 2012

Kudos [?]: 71 [1] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2008, 10:50
This post received
KUDOS
From HBS: http://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/blog. ... 08-11-11_2
Quote:
Today we sent out about 750 invitations to interview. I think we will ultimately send around 850 by the notification date, January 21.

I can't predict when this additional 100 invitations will go out nor to whom. It is possible that candidates invited in the next few weeks will not have extensive options to interview in hub cities; we will make every effort to work with them to schedule an interview which is convenient.

The Admissions Board continues to review written applications and discuss cases until the January notification date.

I also anticipate that around 100 Round One candidates who have not been interviewed will be invited to accept a place on the wait list in January. As their cases are further considered, they may be invited to interview.

We are trying to be as transparent as possible about this anxiety-producing process. I hope I am clear in my continued message that this is a "selection" process designed to bring a talented and diverse mix of students into the classroom. There are no hard and fast rules and there are many more qualified candidates than we have capacity to admit.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 146 [1] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2008, 13:18
This post received
KUDOS
cpgmba wrote:
Anyone know if this is Noon Central, Pacific, or Eastern Time???

"You wll receive another email from HBS MBA Admissions at noon on Wednesday, November 12 with a link to our online scheduling system. You will be able to select a specific interview slot at that time. "

You just got a HBS interview invite ! I don't think you should be worrying about such minute details, and I would imagine its EST. We on the east coast don't think in other time zones lol
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2008, 04:31
This post received
KUDOS
http://www.clearadmit.com/wiki/index.ph ... dInterview

Great resource for starting your interview prep
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2008, 08:34
This post received
KUDOS
It depends upon how they introduced themselves during the interview. If she says, Hi I'm Mary, then you can say Dear Mary. However, if she says, Hi, I'm Mary Smith, then I would use Mrs. Smith.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2008, 08:42
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks a lot for this post. Sure gives an insight into HBS that has been missing from this topic till now.
Kudos!!

cpgmba wrote:
Had my interview on-campus yesterday. This was hopefully my last interview! (Already interviewed at Kellogg, Michigan, and Duke) Below is a recap of my visit:

Interview
Upon arriving to Dillon House, I was greeted by Sally, who was the friendliest person I've encountered working in an admissions office. She definitely relaxes everyone a bit before the interview. My interviewer came and got me and took me up to an office. She was extremely nice and friendly, but reminded me that we only have 30 minutes, so she may cut me off at times to make sure we get through everything in time. Overall, I enjoyed this interview more than any others. Possibly because I had a can't lose, underdog mentality going into it. But more likely due to the fact that it's not blind and they really seem like they want to get to know you and what makes you tick. Like everyone else said, there were no questions on Why HBS or Why MBS. My biggest piece of advice: IF YOU TELL A STORY OR GIVE AN EXAMPLE, GET READY TO GO INTO DEPTH ABOUT IT AS YOU WILL LIKELY BE PROBED. I would give an example and from that example, she would ask 3 or 4 other questions. Below are the questions I was asked:

Asked me why I had passion for the industry I am going in to? (I mentioned passion for it in my essays)
3 qualities I'd like to be remembered for 20 years from now (career focused)
She dug very deep into my career goals essays. Asked me why I wanted to accomplish them? How would I accomplish them? How would I balance these goals with the goals of an organization? Asked for specific examples.
3 additional failures besides the one in my essay.
What is an industry I would NOT like to go into? Why?
What is my ideal/dream job?
What country I am most interested in? (This was one of the optional essay questions which I did not answer)
Anything I wish she would have asked me?

While these questions are definitely more difficult to prepare for than the standard questions, I preferred them as I felt that HBS really wanted to get to know me. I also really liked the interview because it felt like she was genuinely interested to learn about me. You could also tell they wanted to make sure what I wrote in the essays was authentic and that I had clearly thought everything out. As long as you were sincere in your essays, you should be fine.

Campus
I love HBS's campus. Compared to most other b-schools, it's a true college campus to me. Multiple red bricked buildings and lots of green everywhere. I was amazed at how nice the facilities were. I didn't expect this given the outside of the buildings were so old. I preferred the facilities at HBS compared to Ross' new building. HBS feels very comfortable and classy while Ross' is very modern and industrial (although extremely nice). Shad, the workout facility, is country club-esque. While most schools have a basic large workout room similar to a nice hotel, HBS's was like a full gym/spa. Cardio room, weight room, basketball courts, racquet ball courts, aerobics rooms, sauna, hot tubs, etc. (By the way, it's free for students and only MBA students/partners can use it.) I was also really impressed with the eating facilities on campus. There are two restaurants on top of each other in one of the main halls. Both have the typical stations where you choose your cuisine from an array of options. The bottom one is like a classy sports bar with dark wood and TVs all around; and yes a bar that serves alcohol. The upstairs restaurant is a bit nicer in regards to food and atmosphere. The grilled burrito ($5.55) I had was excellent!

Students
This was the biggest shock to me. HBS students tend to have this reputation that their s&!t doesn't stink. I'm sure there are some there like that, as with any school, but the majority of students I encountered were genuine and down to earth. There was lots of diversity which was expected. The energy from the students was great as well. (Maybe because most of the 1Ys just finished finals!) I initially thought I would "fit" in better with students at some of the team oriented schools such as Kellogg and Ross, however after my visit to HBS I believe I would also fit in very well here.

Overall, it was a great visit. I felt I did very well on my interview, but because it's HBS I don't want to get my hopes up. However, it was definitely an amazing feeling walking around that campus and I would love to spend the next 2 years there!

Let me know if you have any questions!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: HBS '11

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 06:24
This post received
KUDOS
CompanyMan wrote:
cpg, egy, mikus,

If you guys dont mind sharing, can you tell me some questions to ask the adcom at the end of the interview? I cant think of anything in particular. I dont want to come across as underprepared for this...

Any suggestion will be helpful

CoMan

You might not even get asked this. Or you might get the "what else would you like HBS to know about you" question instead. In my case, I didn't get either since we didn't have time. This is what clearadmit has to say on the topic:

Admissions Tip: Interviewing the Interviewer

We’ve been offering a good deal of advice lately on how to conduct oneself and prepare responses to MBA interview questions; today, we’d like to highlight the importance of thinking about what you might ask. Virtually all business school interviewers conclude their discussion by offering the applicant a chance to ask some questions about the program. While it might be tempting to claim that you’ve already learned all you need to know about the school, this is actually a great opportunity to gain additional insight, show your enthusiasm about a specific element of the curriculum or community, and demonstrate that you appreciate the opportunity to learn from your interviewer’s experiences.

Here are a few simple guidelines to keep in mind while thinking about what you might ask:

1. Focus on the positive. Now is not the time to conduct due diligence or express skepticism about a school’s academic program or career resources. You’re still marketing yourself to the adcom at this stage of the process, so you’ll want to project enthusiasm and demonstrate a desire to become more familiar with a program’s merits and your potential fit.

2. Avoid the obvious and the obscure. Because this is an opportunity to tap the interviewer’s unique knowledge and point of view (and he or she will assume that you did your basic research before applying), it’s best to avoid asking questions that could be answered by perusing the school’s website or speaking with anyone you might happen to encounter on campus. On the other hand, you don’t want to ask something so obscure or specific that your interviewer might not have an answer. Seeking the interviewer’s opinion on or impression of some element of the program often makes for a discussion that both parties will find interesting and enjoyable.

3. Mind your audience. Remember that students, alumni and admissions staff will all have a different perspective on and level of familiarity with the program, and that it’s wise to pose inquiries tailored to his or her experience with the school. For instance, alumni interviewers generally feel strongly about their schools but might not have the most current information on the academic programs and campus culture, so a good question might focus on the classes they have found most useful in their post-graduation career.

http://blog.clearadmit.com/category/admissions-tips/
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants   [#permalink] 16 Dec 2008, 06:24