Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 16:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2009, 04:57
Has anyone seen any sample recommendations given there is a strict word limit? I am trying to do a template for my recommenders . 250 words isn't a lot to write about "performance, potential, or personal qualities you believe would be helpful to the MBA Admissions Board"
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2009, 13:02
Quite a detailed post about recommendations (http://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/blog. ... 2009-08-24)

Quote:
Recommendations
Date: August 24, 2009

I stand by our general advice on recommendations: the most important thing is to choose people who know you well enough to answer the questions we are asking. Many recommendations are well-written and enthusiastic in their praise but essentially full of adjectives and short on actual examples of how your wonderful qualities play out in real life. What we are hoping for are brief recounts of specific situations and how you performed.

We ask for three — and we are fine with several different combinations. It's fine to have all three recommendations come from your current firm/organization. It's fine to have one from a former employer. It's also fine to have one come from someone who has supervised or observed you in a non-work situation — community service or campus leadership, for example. Note that we are not looking for a peer recommendation — we find it most helpful if there is some developmental distance between you and the recommender. The exception to this might be when you have worked on an entrepreneurial venture or project and the only person able to help us understand your involvement is a partner or colleague.

Please realize that we are considering these recommendations in the context of your entire application — we are not creating a detailed map of the titles and resumes of your recommenders and setting up an elaborate hierarchy.

Please don't ask current HBS students to write to us on your behalf outside of the formal recommendation process. Candidates are not advantaged in the application process by either professional or personal associations with our students.

If you are worried about how we will interpret your choice or recommenders, simply write a (brief) explanation in the "additional information" section of the application.

Especially in these unusual times, please don't jeopardize your employment in order to secure a recommendation from a current employer. While we might wish that all bosses were enthusiastic and encouraging about business school for their emerging leaders, this is not a universal sentiment. Make your best judgment call about whom to ask, make sure they understand what we're asking, explain your choices to us if you think you should... and that's it!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2009, 21:45
Hi

I have multiple important events / stories of my life that have shaped me uniquely and I want to be able to tell these to the admissions committee. However, due to limited number of essays, I find it challenging to do so. Harvard's vision question is optional. I was wondering that for applicants that dont write the career vision question and dont explain their career vision through other essays, How does Harvard try to find out about their future aspirations etc? I believe that it is important to tell Harvard about my vision but there are other facets of my personality that I want to show too. Just wondering what is a good alternative if I dont write the vision essay and if it would hurt me negatively?

Thanks

nutmba
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2009, 03:59
I will join Round 1 - best of luck to all of you!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: USMC
Schools: Darden '12

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 22

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2009, 20:03
Count me in for Round 2. Good luck Round 1!
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2009, 06:38
Throwing my hat in the ring for R1...
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 215 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2009, 13:10
i'll know after 5:30 PM tomorrow if i'm in for R1... or even in at all :shock: . good luck to everyone who is in the hunt already!

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2013

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2009, 05:31
im in for R1, provided my 3rd recommender comes through by the deadline...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't flatter yourself, honey. Just like an oil lease, you're easily disposable.
~J.R. Ewing

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2009, 13:51
Is it for HBS still the case that they will process your application when two of the three recommendations are there?
Director
Director

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2009, 06:31
shadowsjc wrote:
i'll know after 5:30 PM tomorrow if i'm in for R1... or even in at all :shock: . good luck to everyone who is in the hunt already!

well i'm in for R1... good luck everyone. just as i'm finishing a month+ of studying for the GMAT, i now have a month for the HBS essays :twisted:

GMAT Debrief

Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, Stanford (dinged), Wharton (WL), Kellogg, Chicago (Accepted), MIT (WL)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2009, 06:45
shadowsjc wrote:
shadowsjc wrote:

well i'm in for R1... good luck everyone. just as i'm finishing a month+ of studying for the GMAT, i now have a month for the HBS essays :twisted:

GMAT 770? Great feat dude...good luck for R1, I have decided to take work towards R2 for HBS.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2009, 13:50
Count me in for this suicidal mission :twisted: (Count me in R2, I'll post here if I made it to R1).

The MBA is delay-able for me (at least for one year), so I might as well target the crazy super elite schools and learn from the experience if none goes through. (Going for HBS and Stanford and maybe Wharton).
Director
Director

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2009, 14:29
for all you guys already preparing your apps - or for anyone who has already gone through the process; do you think there's any advantage to having an HBS alum write one of your recommendations (assuming he knows you well enough to write one)?

for my third LOR, i am selecting a VP at my previous job (an HBS alum) who regarded me highly. although i didn't report directly to him, i did deal with him daily, and prepared weekly analytical reports for him at his meetings. since the company was so small, he got to know me fairly well. i selected him instead of my manager, which i'm hoping is not a mistake further down the road.

GMAT Debrief

Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2009, 14:36
My sense is that it's not much of an advantage, but as long as he knows you well and will write a good rec, I think it's fine that he's not your manager. It is typically important that your manager at your CURRENT job write a rec for you, but you have more discretion with the other two recs. It's always nice to have someone that went to that school that can testify to why you're a good fit, but I don't think it will make or break you unless he's a super big shot alum.

My recommenders are 2 HBS and 1 without an MBA, and that's just a coincidence as I thought they were the best folks based on our relationship and the accomplishments they witnessed. They'll be writing recs for all of my schools, not just HBS, so I will not have official alum recommenders elsewhere.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 05 Sep 2009, 19:00
Hello Guys

I am working on the HBS application and wondering if any one can help me with the following questions puzzling my mind

1) Whether Chartered Accountant(india), Company Secretary(india) and Certified Public Accountant (US) should be mentioned under Graduate or undergraduate courses

2) The intership for Chartered Accountant which is 36 monhs (20 months during college and rest after graduating) should be mentioned in the full time or should be mentioned under part time (during college)?

Your help will be much appreciated
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2009, 15:28
Done with the first essay (560 words).

The accomplishments are 1 personal, 1 EC and 1 professional.
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, Stanford.

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2009, 21:03
Does anyone know what's reasonable overage on rec letter word limits?

I know that for essays it is typically a pretty hard and fast rule to be within (or at least near) the word limits. I understand that it is commonly accepted for recommendations to run longer than word limits, but how much longer than the 250 words on Q3 is still considered reasonable? 500? 1000? 2000?

Given that LoR writers are asked to include detailed anecdotes, 250 seems like a tight fit.

I did it all for the Starwood points.

Current Student
Schools: HBS R2, Stanford R2, Wharton R2, Columbia RD, Tuck R2, Darden R2, Texas R2
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 25

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 06 Sep 2009, 23:58
Probably applying round 1 here - depending on how the GMAT goes September 28th. If it is not where I want it..... Round 2 it is.

My Recommendations are in and essays #1 and #2 are complete. Now I need to find $250 for the HBS Beer fund.
Director
Director

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2009, 16:52
I spoke to an alumni (~10 years out), and he told me that he got into HBS without an interview. I realize this is probably not common; does anyone know if HBS still does this? Or is an interview going to be required of everyone who is going to get in?

GMAT Debrief

Manager
Manager
Schools: MIT

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2009, 17:05
I have some questions about the mistake essays:

1. Is it a good idea to use an episode that will also be covered in the "weakness" or "constructive feedback" section of a recommendation?
I think it could be good in that it reinforces I have heard and responded to feedback. It could also minimize the surface area for weaknesses...
OTOH what if MY re-telling of the story is different from that by my recommender? I think we probably will have some differences in how bad the situation was, how badly i messed up...

2. What if the mistake I talk about is another similar episode? It happened before the one that my recommender would talk about.
In this case it is almost like admitting I messed up, saying I improved, and then my recommender saying I made the same mistake again?

3. What if you can't show improvement?
The other episode I am thinking about could make for a good story but I wasn't able to turn things around and I can't find a good analogy in other parts of my life.
It also explains why I have been "sort of" involved in an EC.
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates   [#permalink] 07 Sep 2009, 17:05