Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 03:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2010, 12:52
haha, ok, glad I'm not the only one who thinks that's a crazy deposit... :shock:

Anyone ever 'negotiated' an extension on deposit date before? I'll go with a phone call as opposed to email but do you think I should just keep it general and say "I need more time..." ?

Thanks again, REALLY appreciate it!
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2010, 15:27
Sandy, just curious how one should answer a question like "how would you contribute to the HBS case method?" how specific should you be?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

you need to show awareness of what case method is, and how it works, e.g. diff kids fr. dff backgrounds looking at same facts to create decision template w. many factors, and then do a better than banal job on leveraging both your expertise (which let's face it, will not help w. majority of cases, since they are so varied) and your background and identidy politics (where you come from, international exp, upbringing values, etc. ) to show you are sensitive to issues such as 1 2 3 4 (labor, community impact) and cld be both shrewd and wise and value-aware decision maker. Question rarely comes up in that form, oddly, but same analysis relev. to more freq Q. " what will you contribute to HBS" -or how will classmates remember you, two real common questions in last coupla years, so good answer is guy who kept yapping about Bhopal or Valdez as part of decision making, and also was solid w. metrics, and offered metric approaches to unexpected settings, and started the HBS rap contest, assuming you are from Bhopal, are quant-oriented consultant and have hobby of performing Rap. Anyway, that is the formula. It gets tricky to execute if where you come from, etc. and what you do is more banal, but man, I AM GREAT AT CREATING THIS PROFILE FOR KIDS, JUST ASK ANYONE WHO EVER HAD A MOCK INTERVIEW W. ME. Alas, most interviews don't fully turn on this, but rather on execution and attitude which is harder to intergrate thru mock interview, b.c. it is performative and not just verbalizing, but I also help here too.

AskSandy--the HBS guru
http://hbsguru.com
app + essay advice, free profile evaluation
GREAT HBS MOCK INTERVIEW service.

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 12:05
HBS MARCH WAITLIST LETTER, NO ONE TO BE TAKEN OFF
WL TIL APRIL 6TH

stop the presses, no news from HBS about the WL. Eileen Chang learns to put dates in these letters, unlike ones last year.

NO ONE WILL BE TAKEN OFF WL TIL APRIL 6TH!!!!!!!!!!!!

March 1, 2010

Hello Everyone:

It’s Eileen Chang from the MBA Admissions Board at HBS. As it is the

first of March, I’d like to provide you with another process update.

Given that I had indicated in last month’s message that we will becommunicating decisions to as many of you as we can on April 6, I don’t really have anything too noteworthy to add this month. We are currently in the middle of reviewing round 2 applicants and begin conducting round2 interviews today. Some of you on the waitlist who have not already been interviewed may have been invited to interview this round.

The most common inquiry we received since our February update was concerning admission to other programs and the timeline of our decision process relative to the need to respond to other business schools. We will not be able to provide a decision to anyone currently on the waitlist before April 6. As a result, we understand if you need to make other plans and wish to remove yourself from the waitlist. Please do so

by emailing my colleague Dana Scalisi at dana_scalisi@hbs.edu.

For those who are wondering, the number of people who will be admitted from the waitlist will depend entirely on what we see in round 2. I hope to be able to share more information on this in my update next month.

Until then, thank you for your participation on our waitlist.
Sincerely,

Eileen Chang

MBA Admissions

Harvard Business School

AskSandy--the HBS guru

Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, Stanford (dinged), Wharton (WL), Kellogg, Chicago (Accepted), MIT (WL)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2010, 18:16
Just flew back home from the interview at hub location. The weirdest thing ever. The interview was full of questions that were completely unexpected for me and somehow awkward.

I havent definitely cracked it but don't thing I blew it either. Time will tell...anyhow, I am fully aware that I could get a ticket to dingville next April 5th...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2010, 07:51
latammc wrote:
Just flew back home from the interview at hub location. The weirdest thing ever. The interview was full of questions that were completely unexpected for me and somehow awkward.

I havent definitely cracked it but don't thing I blew it either. Time will tell...anyhow, I am fully aware that I could get a ticket to dingville next April 5th...

Confused, what do you mean by "awkward"?
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, Stanford (dinged), Wharton (WL), Kellogg, Chicago (Accepted), MIT (WL)

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2010, 08:03
vcn2010 wrote:
latammc wrote:

Confused, what do you mean by "awkward"?

The interviewer asked me around 10 to 15 questions in just 30 minutes. Questions that were completely uncorrelated with each other. I mocked with around 20 different questions on my background, job history, etc etc, but probably none of the questions I was asked was in that list.

A couple of questions hit me off guard...dont know, it was not a behavioral interview, it was just rare...

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2010, 13:16
Sandy,

for HBS interview - if I blabbered slightly, but did manage to answer all questions, without going off track (too much), do you think that is an automatic ding?

or can it fall under category of mediocre interview?

i am just afraid i blew it b/c of slight blabbering for some questions.

thanks.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
good luck, but you have to be there. If what you are describing is some normal nerves which setttled down, that is OK, if what you are describing is systemic habit in interview of drifting,and giving both too long, and not on the point answers, that could be dingsville. If you were solid but initially shaky but banal, it could depend on rest of app, w. interview being small negative. Interviews are scary . . .a series of small boo-boos can have real bad outcomes.

AskSandy--the HBS guru

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2010, 20:05
Quote:
A couple of questions hit me off guard...dont know, it was not a behavioral interview, it was just rare...

Latammc, could you pls share what kind of questions caught you off guard? I will be having my HBS interview next week and would love to hear your experience.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Chicago R1 (Accepted), HBS R1 (Accepted), Kellogg R1 (Accepted)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2010, 22:30
Pls update round 1 role call stats - admitted R1.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2010, 11:20
I heard the interviewers don't hand out business cards which makes sending a thank you note a bit tough. What do you guys think? Is it worth sending a general one to admissions or is that too much?
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2010, 11:29
KBCalifornia wrote:
I heard the interviewers don't hand out business cards which makes sending a thank you note a bit tough. What do you guys think? Is it worth sending a general one to admissions or is that too much?

I don't even remember the name of my interviewer since he didn't give me a card. It will be difficult to issue a thank you note.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2010, 16:27
Anybody else have any weird interviews? Seems HBS is notorious for them....

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 09:28
Can you think of any rational reason for a Wharton undergrad with several years of consulting experience (McK) to matriculate at a school like Kellogg, Sloan or CBS? Are any schools except for HSW a step down?

1. did not get into HSW
2. is getting kicked out of McK or needs MBA for personal, recreational, or serious reasons.
3. Wants to get back into consulting, etc. or sniff around at other career ops
4. Has real, real narrow but tight attractions to K, MIT, CBS etc. e.g. engineering type and wants to get involved w. enterp. at MIT elabs or Media Center, wants to be in New York, or Chi, or enjoys mellow K atmsophere and campfire/Kumbia attitude.
5. family/spouse location reasons
6. Guy or Gal w. McK exp. who goes to K, MIT, Chi or Col can have real good outcomes--altho sure, first rule of Fight Club: go to best Fight Club you can get into.

AskSandy--the HBS guru

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 09:30
THANK YOU NOTES AT HBS POST INTERVIEW
Quote:
HBS does not expect thank you's, nor did anyone I met at Admit weekend or any of my friends at HBS send thank you notes. So I wouldn't worry about it.

that is solid advice. Unless something unusal happened like interviewer lent you $50 to get home after you were mugged, etc. It is not that no one sends thank you notes, MANY do, but it does not make a diff. They often give you card w. email address admissions@hbs.edu which is just a collecting pt for unread thank you notes (or more correctly, thank you notes chuckled over by admin type person b4 chucking, or circulating if any are part. funny, annoying, gaffe-filled, obscene, or hysterically sychophantic. WALL OF SHAME MATERIAL)

AskSandy--the HBS guru

Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford, HBS (interview)
WE 1: Product Management
WE 2: Software Engineer

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 12:48
Curious about something. At the interview they gave out a pamphlet with a story stapled in the center of it. The story in mine was called "Keeping Google Googley". Just curious if everyone got the same story or if they personalized it (I work at Google)
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 12:53
colequinn wrote:
Curious about something. At the interview they gave out a pamphlet with a story stapled in the center of it. The story in mine was called "Keeping Google Googley". Just curious if everyone got the same story or if they personalized it (I work at Google)

I visited in the fall and picked up that same pamphlet.

Anything surprising on the interview? Were they nice?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford, HBS (interview)
WE 1: Product Management
WE 2: Software Engineer

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 12:57
Very nice. I had Hillary in the Menlo Park office and it was very conversational and friendly. My favorite question was "If you could take the rest of the day off, what would you do." My answer: take my dog to the beach. Kind of random. All other questions were fairly expected. We spent some time talking about the career aspirations I wrote of.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 13:06
colequinn wrote:

Dude, it was just a coincidence. The pamphlet is unique.
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS/KSG Class of 2014 (deferring)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 05 Mar 2010, 14:04
colequinn wrote:
Very nice. I had Hillary in the Menlo Park office and it was very conversational and friendly. My favorite question was "If you could take the rest of the day off, what would you do." My answer: take my dog to the beach. Kind of random. All other questions were fairly expected. We spent some time talking about the career aspirations I wrote of.

I think they just try to ask the normal questions in veiled albeit interesting ways. Like yours would normally have been, "what do you like to do in your free time". I was interviewed by the incredible, great, youthful and lovely (you never know who reads these things) Ms. Deirdre Leopold herself. In all seriousness she was very nice and down to earth, and even though I could tell it was not meant to be conversational it was, as I think it was in both of our natures to make it as such. Anyway one example for me was she asked me the question: "Lets say it is New Years Eve and the ball just dropped, what big change would you focus on for the coming year?" - obviously other places would ask "what is your biggest weakness (ie something you are focusing on improving about yourself).

To be honest I really enjoyed the interview. It kept me on my toes as the question were all worded as scenarios and there were a lot of 180 degree shifts. Actually thinking about it, I can understand why they ask this questions this way, and it probably relates to the case method system - cases are scenarios themselves and the ability to quickly absorb and process them, then form an argument and present it are what they are looking for.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2010, 09:13
HERM3S wrote:
colequinn wrote:

I think they just try to ask the normal questions in veiled albeit interesting ways. Like yours would normally have been, "what do you like to do in your free time". I was interviewed by the incredible, great, youthful and lovely (you never know who reads these things) Ms. Deirdre Leopold herself. In all seriousness she was very nice and down to earth, and even though I could tell it was not meant to be conversational it was, as I think it was in both of our natures to make it as such. Anyway one example for me was she asked me the question: "Lets say it is New Years Eve and the ball just dropped, what big change would you focus on for the coming year?" - obviously other places would ask "what is your biggest weakness (ie something you are focusing on improving about yourself).

To be honest I really enjoyed the interview. It kept me on my toes as the question were all worded as scenarios and there were a lot of 180 degree shifts. Actually thinking about it, I can understand why they ask this questions this way, and it probably relates to the case method system - cases are scenarios themselves and the ability to quickly absorb and process them, then form an argument and present it are what they are looking for.

Thanks for sharing.
But I heard having an interview with Leopold means ur chance of admission is doubling down...
not becoz of u, but i guess it's becoz she's esp. harsh in selecting students...
but good luck to you!!!!
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates   [#permalink] 06 Mar 2010, 09:13