Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 22:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2010, 10:29
Some Stanford info here:
I recently received an interview invite from stanford. i will be interviewing with an early 2000 alum thats a managing partner in a private equity firm. my question is this: given that this alum is in clear contrast to the "change your life, change the world" philosophy that i wrote in my essays and that the stanford media machine cultivates, im a bit worried now that ill be sitting across from a "monied" elitist very skeptical of such pursuits (who is actually really more in line w/ disposition of an HBS grad) and thus will have a harder time building rapport. i i realize the interview is blind, but how do you suggest i approach this situation??? am i over thinking this?? thanks.
-------------------
You are overthinking this big time. Some of the biggest philanthropists and do gooders are MD of PE shops, and many PE types wrote same thing on Stan apps about investing in underserved groups, regions, people etc. to dvelp great products and companies, etc. etc. Fact that guy does Stan interviews is good sign he is not solely money grubbing type. You just really got this wrong. go back to being the kid who wrote the app which got you at Stan interview and not the out-of-it and elitist yourself kid who wrote the post.

Sandy - With all this talk about
how much relationships matter, how is this for a strategy. Lets say you're dinged from H & S when you try to go the joe shmoe route. To add to that you're almost 29 and reaching the dead zone. Do you think it makes sense to seek out a sponsor?

I have the oppty to jump ship to another shop founded by a very active GSB alumn. My stats are mediocre (3.3ish GPA, 700+ GMAT, Top public undergrad, IB background). If I go and become this guys b**ch for a year or two, do you think sponsorship from him will make DB & Co. overlook my previous failed attempt at getting a spot? A guy who worked for him that is 30 just got into GSB (yes, I'm a facebook stalker).

well, if what you say above is true, and you can confirm it, YOU could be that guy. Issue is how hard it would be to become best boy of bigfoot alum, and if you are guaranteed chances for that. Oftentimes, becoming best boy is something you earn, e.g. guy picks to top analyst of class to mentor, so there is a 'ruff justice' in his reco. Aside from that, you need to question if the proper amount of your life and soul you want to sacrifice to go to Stanford is

1. 90 pct (normal )

2. 99.9 pct (sorta what you are suggesting)

AskSandy--the HBS guru
http://hbsguru.com
app + essay advice, free profile evaluation
GREAT HBS MOCK INTERVIEW service.

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2010, 10:43
Quote:
Thanks for sharing.
But I heard having an interview with Leopold means ur chance of admission is doubling down...
not becoz of u, but i guess it's becoz she's esp. harsh in selecting students...
but good luck to you!!!!

hmmmmmm, 'doubling down' w. Her Majesty is my phrase, originally used on my blog and Biz Week boards, and what I mean is that if you interview w. Dee Leopold (HRH) and she likes you, you are in, if she dont like you, you are not in, the decision sorta gets made in her head right there, unlike any other adcom, where they write a report, and then it gets considered holistically w. your app and everyone else, of course, Dee is doing that too, but in some unpluged way. It is possble to have so-so interview w. reg adcom and get in, based on whole story, but if you have so-so interview w. Dee, and it leaves bad aftertaste, Buy-bye, similarly, if you have boffo interview w. reg. adcom, that could get devalued in reg. admission process, but if Dee flips for you, well, good chance you will be in. Of course, you are thinking YOU will be the one she will flip for, soooooooooooo, many out there hoping to get Dee. Hmmmmmm, IMHO, she is a gal who has seen a lot of applicants and heard a lot of stories, and seen how a lot of boffo stories have turned out (some not so boffo)--so chances of sweeping her off her feet, not as likely as you might imagine, altho, sure it does happen. ON DA OTHER HAND, while being totally professional, etc. etc. she is, ahem, ahem, unlike funny and patient and lovely person you may have seen at Forums etc. someone w. both a trigger wit and a trigger response to little annoying things you might say, soooooooooo chances of setting off an internalized spike of INSTANT DING ANGER, are out there. All that said, in most cases with her, you neither sweep her off her feet, nor cause an explosion, and she is a warm and sensibile interviewer who does not throw curve balls and let's you sorta reach your own level, and the only gaffs, are those you cause yourself. She dont pressure you. So not a bad person to draw for the interview, but BEWARE of Instant Dingma Gonna Get You minefield.

AskSandy--the HBS guru

Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS/KSG Class of 2014 (deferring)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2010, 10:59
hbsguru wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for sharing.
But I heard having an interview with Leopold means ur chance of admission is doubling down...
not becoz of u, but i guess it's becoz she's esp. harsh in selecting students...
but good luck to you!!!!

hmmmmmm, 'doubling down' w. Her Majesty is my phrase, originally used on my blog and Biz Week boards, and what I mean is that if you interview w. Dee Leopold (HRH) and she likes you, you are in, if she dont like you, you are not in, the decision sorta gets made in her head right there, unlike any other adcom, where they write a report, and then it gets considered holistically w. your app and everyone else, of course, Dee is doing that too, but in some unpluged way. It is possble to have so-so interview w. reg adcom and get in, based on whole story, but if you have so-so interview w. Dee, and it leaves bad aftertaste, Buy-bye, similarly, if you have boffo interview w. reg. adcom, that could get devalued in reg. admission process, but if Dee flips for you, well, good chance you will be in. Of course, you are thinking YOU will be the one she will flip for, soooooooooooo, many out there hoping to get Dee. Hmmmmmm, IMHO, she is a gal who has seen a lot of applicants and heard a lot of stories, and seen how a lot of boffo stories have turned out (some not so boffo)--so chances of sweeping her off her feet, not as likely as you might imagine, altho, sure it does happen. ON DA OTHER HAND, while being totally professional, etc. etc. she is, ahem, ahem, unlike funny and patient and lovely person you may have seen at Forums etc. someone w. both a trigger wit and a trigger response to little annoying things you might say, soooooooooo chances of setting off an internalized spike of INSTANT DING ANGER, are out there. All that said, in most cases with her, you neither sweep her off her feet, nor cause an explosion, and she is a warm and sensibile interviewer who does not throw curve balls and let's you sorta reach your own level, and the only gaffs, are those you cause yourself. She dont pressure you. So not a bad person to draw for the interview, but BEWARE of Instant Dingma Gonna Get You minefield.

Let's say hypothetically after you interview she asks you if you were nervous and how you prepared - maybe it was because you were quick to respond to all of her questions. She then, having informed you that the interview is over, speaks with you for an additional 15-20 minutes about random things (it was the last interview of the day) and as you leave tells you it was a good interview. She definitely seems to be the type to take that at face value.

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2010, 11:53
HERM3S wrote:
hbsguru wrote:
Quote:

Let's say hypothetically after you interview she asks you if you were nervous and how you prepared - maybe it was because you were quick to respond to all of her questions. She then, having informed you that the interview is over, speaks with you for an additional 15-20 minutes about random things (it was the last interview of the day) and as you leave tells you it was a good interview. She definitely seems to be the type to take that at face value.

HMMMMMM, basically in that case, interview is a draw and what is going to happen to you based on whole deal is going to happen--you did not flip her or piss her off. I had case in R1 where she was HIGHLY complimentary of essays, saying x essay was really good. And interview went well, too. Kid wound up WL.

AskSandy--the HBS guru

Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS/KSG Class of 2014 (deferring)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2010, 13:33
hbsguru wrote:
HMMMMMM, basically in that case, interview is a draw and what is going to happen to you based on whole deal is going to happen--you did not flip her or piss her off. I had case in R1 where she was HIGHLY complimentary of essays, saying x essay was really good. And interview went well, too. Kid wound up WL.

Thanks, I was hoping you would say flawless victory but we'll see what happens. After my Stanford blunder (resume had obvious errors - you can see the details in the Stanford thread) I am banking on HBS

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2010, 09:10
HERM3S wrote:
hbsguru wrote:
After my Stanford blunder (resume had obvious errors - you can see the details in the Stanford thread) I am banking on HBS

have not read about resume blunders, but if you had a few typos etc., dont worry about it. Only way a resume could really screw you is if you left stuff out, lied, etc. It is not a resume contest. If interviewer was some kinda Miss Manners grammar and form nerd, that will also be dismissed. Adcom actually has jaundiced view of many alum interviewers, a self-selected, often under-performing, and on occassion, oddball subcohort of grads.

AskSandy--the HBS guru

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2010, 07:27
Job Market Stabilizes for Business Students
By ROBBIE BROWN
DA NEW YORK TIMES
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/08/education/08banking.html?scp=1&sq=darden&st=cse

Quote:
Last year, Mr. Yankson was turned down for summer internships by about 15 recession-plagued banks and ended up working for an education nonprofit organization. This year, as he sought a full-time job, Wells Fargo quickly gave him the response he wanted: When can you start?

“The banks this year kept saying, ‘It’s a good year,’ ‘We just approved a lot of hiring,’ ‘The market is clearing up,’ ” Mr. Yankson said. “It was a completely different experience.”

AskSandy--the HBS guru

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2010, 07:31
MORE, FROM ABOVE NEW YORK TIMES STORY ON BETTER JOB MARKET FOR MBAS'

Quote:
The number of banks interviewing at Darden this year increased 20 percent, and the number of job offers so far has risen 33 percent, the school said.

“There’s reason for students to be optimistic,” said Tracy Handler, a spokeswoman for the M.B.A. Career Services Council, an association of business school career advisers. “Any signs of recovery are modest. But business schools are looking ahead and seeing a light at the end of what is now a pretty short tunnel.”

A survey by the career council in December found that 39 percent of business schools expected internship opportunities to increase this summer, while 26 percent expected them to decrease.

At Duke University, for instance, the business school career office reported last month that the number of students with investment banking internships had doubled compared with last year. Four new banks went to Duke this year to interview, and the number of Duke students submitting résumés to banks increased 37 percent. The number of students participating in the school’s Week on Wall Street trip also rose, to 90 from 60 last year.

“Ironically, this can be a superb time to enter banking,” said Jeff Fischer, the director of career management at the business school at the University of North Carolina, where the number of investment bankers visiting campus has risen 67 percent since last year. “The M.B.A. population is like the end of a whip. When cycles swing up and down, students are the ones who swing up and down the most in terms of employment.”

AskSandy--the HBS guru

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2010, 12:20
so what's the verdict on thank you notes? I wanted to include a unique anecdote from the interview to jog a memory, but I'm worried it will come across as cheesy...Is safe/generic the right play?

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2010, 19:06
Sandy, is there any way we could find out who the HBS interviewers in R2 (for various locations) are? I'm having an interview in Shanghai next week and it would be great to find out some facts on my interviewer first.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

haha, check w. HBS travel agency. Good chance they will send same person to Tokyo, so find out who does interviews there (3 days b4 Shanghai interviews).
Knowing person's background not useful, what is useful, sometimes,is knowing what Q's that person has asked in the past. Try arriving early and asking kids who have just interviewed, like what questions were. Of course, they may not feel so willing to tell you. BTW, knowing person and what Questions they ask, not as helpful as you think, the majority of questions are geared to your resume (and in cases app), e.g. why did you move fr. firm 1 to firm 2. what is up with your industry. What was leadership challenge in your extra curric in Essay X, and you should prepare those anyway.

AskSandy--the HBS guru

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2010, 17:51
Hi Sandy,

I'm considering applying to business school and would appreciate some insight on what my chances look like

my basic profile:

Quote:

3.5 gpa from top 50 university (mid tier UC)
720 GMAT
2.5 years work experience as auditor at a Big 4
2 years as volunteer in the Peace Corp in the business advising program (worked with local citizens to start businesses in Africa)

would i be competitive for top 5? top 10? top 15? any help would be greatly appreciated.

YEAH, THAT IS PROFILE WHICH INCLUDES OK STATS, RESPECTED WORK AT BIG 4 AND THEN BONUS PTS AT PEACE CORP, NO REAL WEAKNESSES AND SEVERAL STRENGTHS. WITH RIGHT STORY AND EXECUTION ABOUT YOUR DEVELOPMENT, AND USING BIG 4 SKILLS ETC. TO HELP LOCAL BIZ, BLAH, BLAH, AND EVEN HELP AT PEACE CORP ITSELF, W. SOME JIVE ABOUT DEVELOPMENT, SOCIAL ENTERPRISE INTERESTS--GUYS LIKE YOU GET INTO TOP 5 AND EVEN H AND S, IF STORY REAL PWERFUL AND YOU GOT SOME X FACTOR, LIKE REC FR. DESMOND TUTU OR NOT EVEN AT THAT LEVEL. ANYWAY, SOLID EXECUTION AND COHERENT STORY ABOUT HOW IT FITS TOGETHER, REAL SOLID APP. APPLY ASAP, YOU ARE GETTING OLD, BUT SCHOOLS ARE QUICKER TO WINK AT THAT W. STORIES LIKE YOURS

AskSandy--the HBS guru

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 14 Mar 2010, 19:22
i am an international applicant and have a question...

if i am asked "how will you see myself in 15 years"
does that mean I should describe what I plan to do in the following 15 years?

How should we best answer this question?
thanks!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 18:36
Hello,

I had my interview for HBS and I am very nervous right now. I had what I felt was a good interview, but noticed after the interview on my way home that there was a stain on my tie. It doesn't show up in all lights, but in some it does, and I think it would've shown during the interview. I don't know if the interviewer saw it or not, but I am very afraid they did. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether or not something like a stain on a tie could ruin an interview/application?

I know it's pointless to worry because (a) no one probably has any idea whether or not something like this situation would ruin your chances, and (b) I don't know if the interviewer noticed it, but I guess it just feels good to get the worry out. Any opinions are welcome, the next three weeks are going to be very anxious.
Current Student

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 22:19
I'm pretty sure they are looking for your insight, ability to reason, persuade, lead, and mostly your ability to contribute to the case method. I sincerely doubt a stain on your tie is even remotely in their consideration.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS R2 [interview]

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2010, 23:07
I have my interview in 3 hours...panic time! haha...I couldn't sleep last night unfortunately :( ...maybe I can nap under my desk right now...
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 02:09
Hey guys,

for people who already passed their interviews, how did you thank them? to which email did you send?

or do you think sending email is useless?
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS R2 [interview]

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 03:40
Okay I had my interview. Bombay hub.

It was very friendly and casual, but only 20 minutes in length. She would jump from topic to topic, switching before I could finish my answers.

I'm hoping this is because, as you said, the purpose of the interview is to confirm that I can speak english, am likeable, etc. I'm guessing that either makes me a shoo-in or an instant write-off. What do you guys think? Anyone else in a similar situation?
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, Stanford (dinged), Wharton (WL), Kellogg, Chicago (Accepted), MIT (WL)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 05:43
Janus wrote:

It was very friendly and casual, but only 20 minutes in length. She would jump from topic to topic, switching before I could finish my answers.

I'm hoping this is because, as you said, the purpose of the interview is to confirm that I can speak english, am likeable, etc. I'm guessing that either makes me a shoo-in or an instant write-off. What do you guys think? Anyone else in a similar situation?

Exact same situation...it was question after question...most of them completely unrelated. All of them were related to my resume, or essays...but there was no line underneath
Current Student
Schools: HBS (R2 - Accepted & Matriculating), Kellogg (R1 - Accepted), Columbia (RD - Accepted), Stanford (R2 - Dinged)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 05:52
Janus wrote:

Hey Janus,

I had my interview in Bombay as well - on Monday 15th. I had exactly the same experience as you.

My interview was extremely casual that I think I was caught a bit off-guard. The interviewer was warm, very receptive and extremely nice. I had been given the impression that the HBS interview was a bit intimidating, and in retrospect I'm confused as to whether that would have in fact been better (given the way I had mentally prepared for it). I felt that I had done some serious soul-searching, spoken to a lot of HBS alum and current students, and made note of some really interesting points that I wanted to make about my candidacy. But I didn't manage to touch upon anything at all! Maybe this was my failure and it was up to me to create opportunities to weave points into my responses. But the interview was so casual and so focused on just asking me to talk about my essays and the odd bullet point on my resume, that I just couldn't find a way to say anything else.

It all happened so quickly and before I knew it, I was told that we were out of time. I hope that my face didn't suggest extreme disappointment at the time, because I immediately felt that I had lost the opportunity to present a lot of things I was keen to and hadn't made a serious impact.

My take is as follows:

1) The interview was just a way to verify what I'd written in my app, and to confirm if I was articulate and would be able to mesh well with the HBS community in terms of the way I spoke and structured my answers - if that's the case, I feel I managed to do ok (it could always have been better, of course). Though somewhere the fact that only 50% of interviewees are admitted (I feel I've seen that stat somewhere) makes me feel that it requires more than just "verifying your candidacy" or else one would see a higher acceptance rate

OR

2) The interview is clearly a way to go beyond your app and truly distinguish yourself from everyone else by being an effective yet real/humble "salesman" of your credentials - the interviewer is fairly neutral in terms of questions and it's really up to you to be smart and creative to get all your points across within a short time-frame. If this is the case, then I feel less buoyant about the way I performed and definitely feel I may have missed the mark slightly

In retrospect, I feel I may be exactly where I was before the interviewer - at a 50% chance of success. This could be a positive (in that I didn't evidently just screw up and ding myself out of contention altogether) or negative (in that I didn't do anything to really enhance myself beyond my app). It's a completely unknown variable - I've been replaying every moment of it in my mind (each time, I discover that "one other thing" I should've said differently to be more effective/clear) since and this unending post-mortem just makes it even more confusing to assess how it truly went. Impossible to tell.

I feel I had somewhere read that Sandy (the HBS guru) had written that the interview won't "get you in for sure" but can definitely "get you out for sure" - so I'm taking solace in the fact that I feel I am closer to the former than the latter.

All that being said, I am personally a bit disappointed with my performance and know I could certainly have done better. It just went by too fast and seemed so comfortable that somewhere I almost lost track of everything I wanted to say and just went with the flow, and possibly missed out on some key things.

I guess I've typed all this out only to come right back to the start: I have no idea, much like you!

Good luck. All eyes on the 6th - this really could go either way.

Cheers.
Current Student
Schools: HBS (R2 - Accepted & Matriculating), Kellogg (R1 - Accepted), Columbia (RD - Accepted), Stanford (R2 - Dinged)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2010, 05:57
tispot wrote:
Hey guys,

for people who already passed their interviews, how did you thank them? to which email did you send?

or do you think sending email is useless?

I genuinely believe that you don't need to send an email in the case of HBS. They don't have business cards or give you their contact details. It's not expected at all. I wouldn't worry about it - it's certainly not going to help if you do, and I am positive it won't harm if you don't.
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates   [#permalink] 17 Mar 2010, 05:57