Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 18:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 102 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 08:43
This post received
KUDOS
zuleron wrote:
hbsguru wrote:

So basically those 40 spots are reserved for friends and family of high-rollers or Hail Mary applications... perhaps "Hail Dee" applications is more accurate...

[color=#4000FF]My point was, there are NO 40 slots of college seniors, HBS expects most college seniors to take two years off. those so-called 40 slots were distributed over the whole app pool, that mostly clear blue + shimmering +heart shaped oasis (with some scum and dead leaves and suntan lotion and grand-child PP) in Dee's backyard.

AskSandy--the HBS guru
http://hbsguru.com
app + essay advice, free profile evaluation
GREAT HBS MOCK INTERVIEW service.

Intern
Intern
Schools: Cal, Stanford, HBS, Yale, UCLA, USC
WE 1: United Technologies (Pratt&Whitney Rocketdyne)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 13:03
Submitted R4, no real expectations but figured why not. Sounds like there wont' be any slots left anyway (which the application website did warn about).

Congrats to everyone who got in :)
1 KUDOS received

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2010, 16:47
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
A week or so ago you posted an article about Duke's undergraduate waitlist and how dismal the prospects are there. What is the story with the MBA waitlist at Duke?

not totally sure, but that story was posted as a marker--the policy of ALL schools is have large WLs, altho not as huge as Duke College-- a lovely school with a toxic set of admission policies including embedded corruption, nepotism (even by ritzy, private college norms), gold-digging and world-class hypocrisy, but I digress-- and use WL as favor bank, insurance, and, in 2 or 3 cases in ALL OF RECORDED HISTORY, INCLUDING HISTORY PRIOR TO THE FOUNDING OF USA, to, ahem, round out the class. Duke College, you may have noticed fr. story, is searching high and low for Violinists, etc. Who knows perchance Duke B School has lost its only female, left-handed, 3rd world debt analyst who can fill in on co-ed rugby team? Snatched, ahem, away, by Stanford R3 after rugby club coach sent out S-O-S. Sound like you???? You got a chance.
actually, as noted, most schools have WL that are 10X the size of admits, and at this date, maybe more, altho some schools have already begun to cull WL. But 10 pct is good rule of thumb on WL, taking into account, that ALL kids on WL are pretty darn qualified to begin with, so that is when 10 pct starts looking like long odds, e.g. I'm thinking of a number from 1 to 10 type odds.

AskSandy--the HBS guru

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2010, 09:16
HBS says, at recent admit meetings, that it received 2nd highest number of apps this year, ever. Meaning? Do historical stats on HBS homepages (good luck finding, btw) help? Whaddya think??? :?: for all the data, ahem, publically available, see http://bit.ly/ccTDej

AskSandy--the HBS guru

Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2010, 11:56
Does Harvard have any Diversity Weekends or Workshops?
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 32

Kudos [?]: 213 [0], given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2010, 13:32
VictoryMBA wrote:

they have usually have 2, one in the fall around october, and one in the spring. i went to the fall one last year and it was a good way to see the school, faculty and students.

http://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/events.html (then click on campus - it's called prospective students' day)

GMAT Debrief

Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2010, 06:27
shadowsjc wrote:
VictoryMBA wrote:

they have usually have 2, one in the fall around october, and one in the spring. i went to the fall one last year and it was a good way to see the school, faculty and students.

http://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/events.html (then click on campus - it's called prospective students' day)

Ah...great, thanks. It looks like they just had one in March. I'll keep my eye out for the one in the fall. Thanks!

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 02 May 2010, 17:57
Quote:
Not stated in story, but how many Japanese passport holders are enrolled in HBS?

any takers here?????

AskSandy--the HBS guru

1 KUDOS received

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 03 May 2010, 08:42
This post received
KUDOS
HBS TO TAKE 50 KIDS OFF WL IN NEXT TWO WEEKS.

SK IS DUBIOUS, AND BELIEVES THIS NUMBER ALSO INCLUDES THE 10 OR SO KIDS (OR MORE) THEY TOOK LAST WEEK.

ANYONE WHO GOT IN OFF HBS WL LAST WEEK, PLEASE CHECK IN.

Quote:
May 3, 2010

Hello Everyone:

It’s Eileen Chang from the MBA Admissions Board at HBS with the May

update on our Admissions process.

At this point, we have received all applications that will be considered

for the Class of 2012. We have already begun actively reviewing our

waitlist candidates and have started making decisions on many of these

applications. We also began interviewing round 3 candidates this week,

so we are in the final stretch of finalizing the class.

We expect there to be a lot of movement on our waitlist these next two

weeks and anticipate making approximately 50 offers of admission between

now and the round 3 notification date of May 13. We know that many of

you are anxious for resolution on your application, and the majority of

you should expect to hear a decision on your application by May 13.

Heading into June, the waitlist will be significantly smaller. The

waitlist at that time will serve to hold a group of candidates who could

be available to matriculate in case last minute (early July)

cancellations occur.

It is critical to keep your contact information updated, especially

since many of you are traveling now and over the next few weeks. If

there is a change to your phone number, email address, or mailing

address, please email my colleague, Dana Scalisi….blah, blah blah

Sincerely,

Eileen Chang

MBA Admissions

Harvard Business School

Soldiers Field Road

Dillon House

Boston, MA 02163

AskSandy--the HBS guru

Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS (admit), MIT (admit)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 03 May 2010, 11:12
Mods -

Is the above post appropriate and/or relative to the "B-School Application" forum? I know Sandy is the HBS god and all but anyone else who repeatedly posted non-sequiturs like this would be banned.

Please, stop the insanity...and Sandy, save it for the BW forums.

- CR
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 03 May 2010, 12:47
what the heck does this have to do with HBS?

Interesting article, but if I was interested in studies regarding the correlation between power and lying, I'd seek it out elsewhere.

The HBS applicant thread has turned from something useful to applicants, to something useless.
Current Student
Schools: Ross Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 03 May 2010, 13:11
CarpathianRidge wrote:
Mods -

Is the above post appropriate and/or relative to the "B-School Application" forum? I know Sandy is the HBS god and all but anyone else who repeatedly posted non-sequiturs like this would be banned.

Please, stop the insanity...and Sandy, save it for the BW forums.

- CR

CR, I'll try my best to clean up the postings of non-relevant material going forward. Sandy does provide some good info but if going forward this is still an issue we'll take care of it.

Thanks,
ACN

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 03 May 2010, 15:14
Quote:
Why so much waitlist activity? Do you think that HBS is managing their yield, or did they just have a lot of people choose to go to other schools?

haha bit of both, they really put LOTSA kids on WL in round 1 as protection against any Round 2 outlier results (remember round 1 D day was before R2 apps were do, this yr was FIRST TIME) and after that, said, "Hey, this is fun and easy, and we get lots of phone calls fr. CEO's banging the bars to get their favs off WL, and that feels nice, and plus feeling nice, we can kinda tell them to hire 2+2 kids etc in our oh-so charming and subtle way.

AskSandy--the HBS guru

1 KUDOS received

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 04 May 2010, 07:58
This post received
KUDOS
Demonic11 wrote:
what the heck does this have to do with HBS?

Interesting article, but if I was interested in studies regarding the correlation between power and lying, I'd seek it out elsewhere.

The HBS applicant thread has turned from something useful to applicants, to something useless.

hmmmm, it was published in Harvard Business Review, and gave a list of tips about good/bad body language, speech habits, during interviews. I posted it at the beginning of HBS Round 3 interview week, both as general interest, some tips about what to be concerned about while interviewing at HBS or anyplace else, dunno????

AskSandy--the HBS guru

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 04 May 2010, 08:52
Yes, sometimes his posts can deviate a bit from the HBS application process, but as someone who is on the WL list, I find the majority of Sandy's posts to be informative...
Current Student

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 04 May 2010, 09:06
*edited because people's feelings are hurt*

Last edited by Demonic11 on 04 May 2010, 11:54, edited 1 time in total.
4 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Booth 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 71 [4] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 04 May 2010, 11:48
This post received
KUDOS
Demonic11 wrote:
He also sounds really humble, polished, and down to earth.

You too. "I signed my high school yearbook in 2002 (xxxx yyyy, Harvard MBA)."
1 KUDOS received

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 04 May 2010, 11:55
This post received
KUDOS
New HBS Dean,
not a woman, not a Mormon, and does not have a Harvard Degree (IIT and MIT).
http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2010/05/nitin-nohria-named-next-dean-of-harvard-business-school/

AskSandy--the HBS guru

Current Student

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 04 May 2010, 11:56
egy wrote:
Demonic11 wrote:

full quote, since you're clearly trying to take me out of context.

"I am speechless. Accepted to HBS. My dream school. I signed my high school yearbook in 2002 (xxxx yyyy, Harvard MBA). And now that dream is going to come true. I really have no words to describe my elation! :-D Thanks to everyone here for their insight and helpful advice throughout this process. ..."
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 7

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 04 May 2010, 11:59
egy wrote:
Demonic11 wrote:

:cool :lol:
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates   [#permalink] 04 May 2010, 11:59