Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 14:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2010, 11:47
Quote:
Sandy,

From HBS's directors blog the February 12th post mentions- "Candidates who do not receive interview invitations in round 2 will be considered for spots on the waitlist" - I am one of those WL w/o interview. I had written off HBS and now I'm unsure of what WL w/o interview actually implies - any idea? I suppose there is potential they would include me in the Round 3 interview invites depending on the strength of Round 3 which go out next Friday but didn't know if you had any idea what HBS's strategy was. Thanks for your help.

Intuition and common sense can lead you down a dark rabbit hole when it comes to WL w/o interview and what it means. Sometimes it is just decision fatigue over thre in Dillon House, that, and keeping folks guessing. My guess is R2 WL kids w.out inerviews, and any R1 kids w/o interviews, if those are still around???? should cert. get interviewed in the R3 window

HRH blog says

Most interviews will take place from May 3-6th. We will be conducting round 3 interviews here on campus and in London and Palo Alto.

That sounds like 3 days PA (18 interviews) 2-3 days London (12-18 interviews) and GOD knows how many on campus, where they can throw lots of adcoms in the fray if they have to (and adcoms not all that busy once they chew thru R 3 apps and rest up for 2+2). I'm thinking ~200 interviews in R3 total, which will also include a lot of college seniors. For a R3 accept cohort of ~110-125 (maybe ~30-40 being college seniors who will defer). So total add to the class after R3 blows thru is 60-80 kids. R2 deposits are due at end of April, so there will be one more big WL shake out in May, where they will cut down the current ~200-240 WL to 50, 25, etc. (but I am not sure how many of those will be accepts, sorry, that is the missing piece of this puzzle) and string folks out thru June/July, They usually fold the tent in early July -w. last two WL accepts being kids who live in Cambridge already (if you want to incrementally improve your odds, move here, same for Stanford, which is explicit about limiting last x spots to kids who already live near school, seriously.

AskSandy--the HBS guru
http://hbsguru.com
app + essay advice, free profile evaluation
GREAT HBS MOCK INTERVIEW service.

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 17:24
Sandy,

Have you ever heard of a student that was dinged by HBS appeal the decision with success? Friends of mine did this for undergrad and got in (after they were dinged). I'm at HLS now and didnt get into HBS, w/o interview (for the second time). Needless to say I am determined to get in and overcome the low-tier undergrad, non-traditional-HBS resume stigma that HBS seems to have placed on my applications. Thoughts?

-JD[strike]MBA[/strike]
Intern
Intern
Schools: MIT, Booth, Stanford, HBS

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2010, 08:10
Magellan wrote:
bwizzle wrote:
Magellan wrote:
Anyone managed to start the Kroll process? System does not recognise my ID/Pass yet..

I'd give them an email. I was able to login with any issue and start the Kroll process. It's so annoying when you have to fax something though.

I managed to start the process as well. Need to do the faxing...

Already faxed my stuff. Was anybody asked to fax their W2? I don't remember if we had to do that .....

Stanford R 2 (w/o interview), MIT Sloan R2, Chicago Booth R2, HBS R2

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2010, 09:20
Can we already start the Kroll process before submitting the deposit? Thanks!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2010, 08:36
Has anyone got Round 3 interview notification yet?
Waiting for it...

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2010, 09:05

HBS ROUND 3 INTERVIEW TIMES AND DATES
fyi--this looks like 150 invites for the final 80 admits and mabye another 20-30 odballs off WL

Quote:

[April 16th, 2010]

Dear Round 3 Sucker

Warm greetings from Harvard Business School!

After careful consideration of your application materials, we are delighted to inform you that you have been selected for an interview with a member of our MBA Admissions Board. We look forward to the opportunity to get to know you better through our interview process.

We use an online scheduling system to manage our interview process. Since we know that many of our interviewees expect to travel to either our campus in Boston or one of our global hub cities for their interview, we are sending this message in advance so that you are aware of where our Admissions Board members will be traveling and when. We hope this advance notice is helpful to you as you plan for your interview.

We will have interview slots available in the following locations:

Boston (on the HBS campus): May 3-6
London: April 30
Menlo Park: May 3 and 4

You will receive another email from HBS MBA Admissions at noon on Monday, April 19 with a link to our online scheduling system. You will be able to select a specific interview slot at that time. Please note that all of our interview slots are available on a first-come, first-served basis. In the past, our interview slots have filled very quickly, so we encourage you to be prompt in selecting your slot.

Again, we hope this advance notice is helpful to you. Thank you for your interest in Harvard Business School, and we look forward to meeting you soon.

Sincerely yours,
MBA Admissions
Harvard Business School
Soldiers Field Road
Dillon House
Boston, MA 02163

AskSandy--the HBS guru

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2010, 09:17
Quote:
Thanks Sandy.

What do you think is the acceptance rate (from interview -> offer) for seniors? Also, what type of offer could we get? I guess, I'm wondering whether adcom give us the opportunity to defer or basically limits the offer to the deferral?

hmmmmm, senior accpet rate is prob ~60 pct like everyone else. Dunno, last year, according to HBS data, ONE SENIOR enrolled directly and like 40 or so got two year deferral. I'm not sure about how that gets discussed in interviews, but it helps to assume you will deferring and present a plan for what you plan to do for the two years.

AskSandy--the HBS guru

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2010, 17:06
HBS ROUND 3 INTERVIEW SPECULATIONS.
Quote:
Sandy,

R3 Interviews: MP (10 slots, 8 filled), Boston (58 slots, 46 filled), London (6 slots, 3 filled). Looks like around 70 slots slots and only 60 kids.

Does this mean anything regarding our admit chances since it's far less than you expected with ~150 invites or an indication of high enrollment rate/few spots remain? Or...do you just expect more interviews to come out soon?

thanks, it's hard to predict numbers fr. even with the use of official sign up, b.c. they often take stuff down, or add stuf, or arragnge interviews at HBS sort of off the menu, but it looks like, in general, you are right, total number of R3 interviews seems less than 150 and more like 70-80, and a lot of those 58 campus slots could be College seniors. Anyway, it does not, I think, impact admit chances, same general 60 pct odds, no reason for them to change that.
I don't think there will be another wave of R3 interviews,*** what there might be is some interviews of kids on WL who have not been interviewed. Altho I'm just speculating and dont mean to dash any R3 hopes. In prior announcements of invite send dates, HRH NOTES quite specifically that "more invites will dribble out..." etc. while below, sounds definitive, and given the small numbers, etc. it makes sense.

***Thisis what her majesty said about R3 interviews on her blog on April 9th, you can quibble if this means WE WILL BE SENDING OUT ALL ROUND 3 INTERIVEWS on April 16th, or 'we will beginning to send out Round 3 invites, etc. etc.

Quote:
Round 3 Interviews
Date: April 09, 2010

We'll be sending these out on Friday, April 16th via email. The email will come from MBA Admissions, and you'll be able to register for an interview slot beginning Monday, April 19th. Most interviews will take place from May 3-6th. We will be conducting round 3 interviews here on campus and in London and Palo Alto.

AskSandy--the HBS guru

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2010, 17:46
Quote:
Boston (58 slots, [strike]46[/strike]filled),

AHEM, A DIFFERENT BEAN COUNTER FRIEND MAKES THAT 47.

(GIVEN THE SMALL UNIVERSE OF ROUND 3 INTERVIEW INVITES, I SEEM TO KNOW A GOOD MANY OF THEM. :wink: )

AskSandy--the HBS guru

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2010, 07:32
Long time lurker, first time poster...

I too was invited for a 3rd round HBS interview. I'm a Boston resident so it will be pretty easy attend. Do you think this may have effected the decision? I've heard that 3rd round acceptances tend to be local. (Hopefully)

I'm puzzled and curious about why the number of interviews is lower than prior years. I guess I should feel lucky to have gotten one.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2010, 07:57
JnJThenMBA wrote:

I too was invited for a 3rd round HBS interview. I'm a Boston resident so it will be pretty easy attend. Do you think this may have effected the decision? I've heard that 3rd round acceptances tend to be local. (Hopefully)

I'm puzzled and curious about why the number of interviews is lower than prior years. I guess I should feel lucky to have gotten one.

I'm a lurker too. I am R3 Wharton, HBS and Stanford. I live in Philly and got a R3 invite from Wharton. Nothing from HBS. I don't think Stanford has started sending out invites. So I do think location matters. If you live in the same area that the school is in or have ties to the area i.e. a former resident, your parents or inlaws live there I can't imagine that not being an advantage everything else being equal.

I called Dillon House and they said "most" R3 invites have been sent out. So there is still hope. But I think for me to get an invite it'll have to be after May 6 when all the others are done and perhaps someone completely bombed like Steve Carrell in "Anchorman". Otherwise it is an extremely long shot for me now with HBS.

One question though for hbsguru: if 40 of the 60 R3 boston invites are Harvard seniors and most of them defer what then? Do they send out 40 more invites or some number less than that because WLers get a spot?

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2010, 08:38
JnJThenMBA wrote:

Hmmmm, I dont think living in Boston affected invite, living in Boston can make a diff. in last 2 or 3 Wl calls, as living in Palo Alto can w. Stanford WL (Stanford has admitted this in last year's final WL letters). I recall one year when last kid taken off HBS WL was already here b.c. his wife was attending Harvard Med School, so like why not. I do think internationals may be under a subtle disadvantage in R3, and I would not be surprised if kids taking those London interviews are actually Americans working in Europe, but, duh, with 3, anything could be true. As to how come less R3 invites this year than last year (I think), dunno, trend has been to encourage apps in R1+2, and 2+2 program has cut in, to some degree, to number of seniors applying.
You may or may not recall,that last year at this time, Bolton at Stanford was advertsing and ecouraging R3 apps. As to chances, dunno, dude, both H and S have BIG and TALENTED WAIT LISTS, and both schools are getting hit w. phone calls fr. big shots to get kids off of those WL's, soooooooooooooooo, I'm going to leave chances of admit for r3 interview applicants at sorta ~59 pct where it trad. is (post interview, I dont have break out as to R3 interview results, altho that could be real, real interesting stat).

AskSandy--the HBS guru

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2010, 09:02
zuleron wrote:
JnJThenMBA wrote:
I called Dillon House and they said "most" R3 invites have been sent out. So there is still hope.
. . .
One question though for hbsguru: if 40 of the 60 R3 boston invites are Harvard seniors and most of them defer what then? Do they send out 40 more invites or some number less than that because WLers get a spot?

Some kid on BW forum (you???) also said he called HBS about R3 invites, and was given same sort of answer, like 'most' invites have been sent out. Well, HBS rarely says officially that ALL of anything has happened, as far as they are concerned, admits to class of 1965 is still open, you can never tell......but what they mean is that someone in R3 could produce a bigfoot, or that they may find an app. in Dee's Hobo Bag, like at the bottom, under her walk-around Ferragamo flats, etc.
As to those 40 or however many college seniors they decide to take (and remember, some of those kids were already accepted in R2), my guess is, they have already baked in the fact that the vast majority of them will take 2-yr deferment, so having 40 openings will not come as surprise. What would come as surprise is if many of those of 3rd round college seniors, during interview, said, "Oh no man, I'm good to go, like in September, let's do this!!!!!"

AskSandy--the HBS guru

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2010, 09:20
Women at HBS (and chart w. other B schools) MORE @HBS but not a straight line (class of 2010-38%, class of 2011-36%) http://bit.ly/cmKKlE

AskSandy--the HBS guru

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 05:30
hbsguru wrote:
As to those 40 or however many college seniors they decide to take (and remember, some of those kids were already accepted in R2), my guess is, they have already baked in the fact that the vast majority of them will take 2-yr deferment, so having 40 openings will not come as surprise. What would come as surprise is if many of those of 3rd round college seniors, during interview, said, "Oh no man, I'm good to go, like in September, let's do this!!!!!"

So basically those 40 spots are reserved for friends and family of high-rollers or Hail Mary applications... perhaps "Hail Dee" applications is more accurate...

Oh well, I think my app is a niche app and so if they didn't see a place for me the first time they looked at it, it probably won't happen. But as Samwise told Frodo... there is always hope.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Cal, Stanford, HBS, Yale, UCLA, USC
WE 1: United Technologies (Pratt&Whitney Rocketdyne)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2010, 13:03
Submitted R4, no real expectations but figured why not. Sounds like there wont' be any slots left anyway (which the application website did warn about).

Congrats to everyone who got in :)

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2010, 09:16
HBS says, at recent admit meetings, that it received 2nd highest number of apps this year, ever. Meaning? Do historical stats on HBS homepages (good luck finding, btw) help? Whaddya think??? :?: for all the data, ahem, publically available, see http://bit.ly/ccTDej

AskSandy--the HBS guru

Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2010, 11:56
Does Harvard have any Diversity Weekends or Workshops?
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 217 [0], given: 113

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 27 Apr 2010, 13:32
VictoryMBA wrote:

they have usually have 2, one in the fall around october, and one in the spring. i went to the fall one last year and it was a good way to see the school, faculty and students.

http://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/events.html (then click on campus - it's called prospective students' day)

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Schools: Tuck, Yale (ding), NYU, Columbia, Duke (int)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 13

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 28 Apr 2010, 06:27
shadowsjc wrote:
VictoryMBA wrote:

they have usually have 2, one in the fall around october, and one in the spring. i went to the fall one last year and it was a good way to see the school, faculty and students.

http://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/events.html (then click on campus - it's called prospective students' day)

Ah...great, thanks. It looks like they just had one in March. I'll keep my eye out for the one in the fall. Thanks!
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates   [#permalink] 28 Apr 2010, 06:27