Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 01:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2010
Posts: 10
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 14:03
I am on the waitlist

Posted from my mobile device Image
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Posts: 36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 12

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 22 May 2010, 14:34
thanks for your help!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 27 Jan 2009
Posts: 34
Schools: HBS - Class of 2012
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 24 May 2010, 04:13
1
This post received
KUDOS
stuckatfailure wrote:
Hi Everyone,
I would really appreciate it if Sandy the HBS guru or any HBS veteran applicants could give me some advice with regards to structure of the 3 accomplishment essay.
Should I number the accomplishments?
1) accomplishment 1
sub-essay
2) accomplishment 2
sub-essay
3) accomplishment 3
sub-essay
Or should they be embedded? So I will start the first sentence of each sub-essay with: "My proudest accomplishment is XXXX"
Would it be okay to do neither of above and just separate the sub essays into 3 paragraphs? The adcom could easily assume that they are 3 different accomplishments? Reason I ask is because the word limit is extremely restricting. Right now, I'm at 650 words after cutting it down from 1200. And every word counts..

Thanks for your help!


I did the same as suker but without the subtitles. Essays should be sufficently clear so that they figure out you list your 3 accomplishments :) I know people who have done like me and people who have done like Suker. The "one embedded" essay will be very difficult to achieve. You loose some words with transitions which is not a good thing when struggling with word limit
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Posts: 36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 12

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 24 May 2010, 07:31
Magellan wrote:
stuckatfailure wrote:
Hi Everyone,
I would really appreciate it if Sandy the HBS guru or any HBS veteran applicants could give me some advice with regards to structure of the 3 accomplishment essay.
Should I number the accomplishments?
1) accomplishment 1
sub-essay
2) accomplishment 2
sub-essay
3) accomplishment 3
sub-essay
Or should they be embedded? So I will start the first sentence of each sub-essay with: "My proudest accomplishment is XXXX"
Would it be okay to do neither of above and just separate the sub essays into 3 paragraphs? The adcom could easily assume that they are 3 different accomplishments? Reason I ask is because the word limit is extremely restricting. Right now, I'm at 650 words after cutting it down from 1200. And every word counts..

Thanks for your help!


I did the same as suker but without the subtitles. Essays should be sufficently clear so that they figure out you list your 3 accomplishments :) I know people who have done like me and people who have done like Suker. The "one embedded" essay will be very difficult to achieve. You loose some words with transitions which is not a good thing when struggling with word limit


Thank you Magellan! But without transitions, wouldn't the essay be a little choppy? Is that okay?
Also, I was wondering if generally it's okay to go over the word limit? 625 - 650 words on the 600 word essay?

Thanks for your help!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 09 Mar 2010
Posts: 11
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 24 May 2010, 11:28
1
This post received
KUDOS
I didn't number the accomplishments to save on words... I think you can make either way work. Also, mine were pretty choppy and that's fine... it is not meant to be a cohesive essay. A great source for the many ways this essay is done is "65 successful harvard business school essays". This book was extremely helpful in thinking through how to successfully structure my HBS essays.

The general rule is you can go 5% over the word limit. However, I did go ~40 words over on some of those 400 word essays... and still got in.

stuckatfailure wrote:
Magellan wrote:
stuckatfailure wrote:
Hi Everyone,
I would really appreciate it if Sandy the HBS guru or any HBS veteran applicants could give me some advice with regards to structure of the 3 accomplishment essay.
Should I number the accomplishments?
1) accomplishment 1
sub-essay
2) accomplishment 2
sub-essay
3) accomplishment 3
sub-essay
Or should they be embedded? So I will start the first sentence of each sub-essay with: "My proudest accomplishment is XXXX"
Would it be okay to do neither of above and just separate the sub essays into 3 paragraphs? The adcom could easily assume that they are 3 different accomplishments? Reason I ask is because the word limit is extremely restricting. Right now, I'm at 650 words after cutting it down from 1200. And every word counts..

Thanks for your help!


I did the same as suker but without the subtitles. Essays should be sufficently clear so that they figure out you list your 3 accomplishments :) I know people who have done like me and people who have done like Suker. The "one embedded" essay will be very difficult to achieve. You loose some words with transitions which is not a good thing when struggling with word limit


Thank you Magellan! But without transitions, wouldn't the essay be a little choppy? Is that okay?
Also, I was wondering if generally it's okay to go over the word limit? 625 - 650 words on the 600 word essay?

Thanks for your help!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Posts: 36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 12

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 24 May 2010, 14:48
Thank you! Kudos to you, and congrats on being accepted to HBS!

[quote="mba2012lfh"]I didn't number the accomplishments to save on words... I think you can make either way work. Also, mine were pretty choppy and that's fine... it is not meant to be a cohesive essay. A great source for the many ways this essay is done is "65 successful harvard business school essays". This book was extremely helpful in thinking through how to successfully structure my HBS essays.

The general rule is you can go 5% over the word limit. However, I did go ~40 words over on some of those 400 word essays... and still got in.

[quote="stuckatfailure"][quote="Magellan"][quote="stuckatfailure"]Hi Everyone,
I would really appreciate it if Sandy the HBS guru or any HBS veteran applicants could give me some advice with regards to structure of the 3 accomplishment essay.
Should I number the accomplishments?
1) accomplishment 1
sub-essay
2) accomplishment 2
sub-essay
3) accomplishment 3
sub-essay
Or should they be embedded? So I will start the first sentence of each sub-essay with: "My proudest accomplishment is XXXX"
Would it be okay to do neither of above and just separate the sub essays into 3 paragraphs? The adcom could easily assume that they are 3 different accomplishments? Reason I ask is because the word limit is extremely restricting. Right now, I'm at 650 words after cutting it down from 1200. And every word counts..
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2010
Posts: 18
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 27 May 2010, 07:57
Anyone out there get accepted 3rd round? If so, when are your deposit deadlines?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 May 2010
Posts: 4
Schools: HBS R3 Wharton R1 w/int
WE 1: USN
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 31 May 2010, 07:53
JnJThenMBA wrote:
Anyone out there get accepted 3rd round? If so, when are your deposit deadlines?


Deposit was due May 27th at 5pm.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2010
Posts: 10
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 02 Jun 2010, 07:57
That deposit deadline was helpful. Has anyone been accepted off of the Round 3 / Summer waitlist or know someone who has been following this recent deposit date? Thanks.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Affiliations: HLS
Joined: 28 Mar 2010
Posts: 35
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 10:10
may be a silly Q:

does no interview = absolutely no admit?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2010
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 12:54
I'm also on the summer waitlist for fall 2010. does anyone know how many people HBS normally take from the summer waitlist? I think there are 23 of us going into June, right?


[quote="jdk61710"]may be a silly Q:

does no interview = absolutely no admit?

ANSWER: I think HBS interviews everyone it admits....
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2010
Posts: 10
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 13:28
I don't know if there is a solid average of people taken each year but I do know of people that have found out in July that they were in so it does happen. I thought there would be some movement after the deposit date but I haven't heard of any yet (although that doesn't mean it is impossible). In summation, I don't think there is any real way to gauge how many poeple will get in - especially for this year which had such an unexpectedly high volume of qualified applicants.

jdk61710: In terms of the interview to admit question, HBS does interview everyone it admits. You can be on the waitlist without an interview but you will be interviewed while on the waitlist if there is a chance you are going to get in.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2010
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 13:36
Thanks, 2010Ahead.
It's comforting to know that people from summer waitlist does make it in. I was also hoping that there would be some movements, but I guess we would never know for sure. I'm already thinking about re-application for next fall. Do you know if we need to ask 3 different people for the recos? It would suck to find 3 more people who know me as well as the ones I asked for this round of application....
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2010
Posts: 10
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2010, 14:04
Glad to help bring a little hope...

In terms of your application for next fall, I think you can definitely ask the same recommenders and even very likely use very similar essays for questions that have not changed. For most schools including HBS, I believe when you reapply, the new application is reviewed independently. Granted, it makes sense to believe that the ad comm references the old application to make sure that if any specific areas of weakness were noted they have been improved.

I am not 100% sure on this so may make sense to call and verify, but I can't see why they would make you use new recommendations.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Apr 2010
Posts: 10
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2010, 12:42
FYI fellow waitlisters. On the HBS website they have posted that they let in 53 people off the waitlist this year so far. I believe at least 50 were let in in the weeks leading up to and day of R3 notification, so it could be possible no one from the R3 / Summer waitlist has gotten in yet.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2010
Posts: 18
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 06:24
Waitie, 2010Ahead -

Any waitlisters hear anything?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Jun 2010
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2010, 06:28
Still nothing here. I was actually in Boston for the NBA Finals last week - walked around the campus, but didn't make any stop at the admissions office...not sure if that was the right call, but oh well....

I feel like the chances are getting slimmer day by day... Started to make alternate plans for this coming year now.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Apr 2010
Posts: 18
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2010, 18:44
Any waitlisters hear anything? It's getting crazy late in the game.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Oct 2009
Posts: 72
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 14

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2010, 12:21
congratulations to all those who got in :)
_________________

Consider giving Kudos if you liked my post. Thanks!

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates   [#permalink] 29 Dec 2010, 12:21
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
157 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates garbus222 1578 20 May 2009, 16:51
14 Calling all HBS 2+2 2010 applicants hbsguru 66 01 Mar 2010, 19:49
Calling all Notre Dame (Mendoza) Fall 2010 Candidates Pre777 117 18 Dec 2009, 06:37
114 Calling all Wharton Fall 2010 Candidates javaexe 2087 22 May 2009, 12:56
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  68   69   70   71   72   73   74   75   76   77   78   79   [ 1579 posts ] 



cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.