Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 00:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Wharton!!! Stern Columbia HBS
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 42 [1] , given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2010, 21:54
This post received
KUDOS
Anyone else struggling to get through the HBS application? It's my last one and I am so burnt out and intimidated by the pool of applicants. Even though I'm applying to other great schools, somehow this one seems the most daunting.

I stare at the questions and feel like nothing I write is going to be amazing enough. I've started all of the essays but keep getting derailed by my frustration.

Anyone have any tips for getting through this application?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: HBS (R2 - Accepted & Matriculating), Kellogg (R1 - Accepted), Columbia (RD - Accepted), Stanford (R2 - Dinged)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2010, 22:02
This post received
KUDOS
While this may sound almost silly, I actually find it easier to get the essays moving once I feel I've made some progress on the overall application - that is, get all the online stuff done in your first sitting. Fill in all the sections, upload your resume, transcript etc. It actually helps me transition into a new application without taxing myself too much, and then you feel as if you've already achieved a fair bit even before you sit down to start your first essay. The essays become easier for me when they are the sole focus and all the other irritating stuff is out of the way.

Next, first attempt an essay that's easily taken from one you've already done - so for HBS, my advice would be to tackle the career goals essay first, assuming you're doing that. It's definitely easier to write the second essay knowing you've got a pretty solid / tried-and-tested draft of the first essay behind you.

All this may seem obvious, but I think it does help one's overall attitude towards an application.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 215 [1] , given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2010, 23:49
This post received
KUDOS
it was easier for me to go to my college and ask for printed copies of my transcripts. i then just scanned them and uploaded them that way. dont know if this is an option for you or not (if distance is an issue - maybe they can just mail you a copy?)

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2010, 22:18
This post received
KUDOS
I'm thrilled to have submitted my last app for this season too. Looks like 8/66 admits for R1 = right around the 12% that you'd HBS usually admits. I think, like many of us here, that my profile is competitive but I'm certainly no superstar.

I just cleaned out some of my application books, and threw away mountains of notes. It's taken months of my time and effort, and a good chunk of change too.

Good luck to everybody here.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2010, 07:01
This post received
KUDOS
agnok wrote:
How much does it hurt my chances in case a third recommendation is not received and the adcoms start reviewing my apps.. Is this a gonner?

I don't know 100% for sure--but I'm pretty positive that if you don't have 3 recs you can't get into HBS. Anyone have better information on this than that?
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, NYU, Harvard, Stanford
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 101 [1] , given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2010, 07:10
This post received
KUDOS
I'm with you, LB20. Agnok, my impression is that you have a couple days' grace to get that third recommendation in, but you must submit it to be considered for admission.

If you think your third recommender is going to be a few days late, and there is a good reason for this, you might try calling the admissions office to see what they say. If you think that third recommender is never going to submit, or will submit too late for you to be considered in Round 2, you might try finding someone else right now who is willing to turn around a recommendation for you quickquickquick -- i.e., in the next day or so. Good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2010, 14:51
This post received
KUDOS
egy wrote:
I'm sure you'll be fine, but once again you might want to call up admissions and ask.. because you won't get any sort of confirmation of what round your application is being considered for.

Thanks, egy. I appreciate the tough love. I actually already did call them up and they were super-nice and acknowledged that traffic had slowed down a ton of people tonight. I'm in. Be easy, tdave, you should be fine too.

Not sure why I expected Harvard to be strict and awful. I should know better.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 21 Jan 2010, 08:40
This post received
KUDOS
@westsew

I honestly don't know--HBS says to look for a confirmation email and not to call them about it...So I really have no guess as to whether or not you will be in. I would wait a day or two to see if you get any emails from HBS.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2010, 10:59
This post received
KUDOS
I'm not sure why I was dinged, but it may have been the interview. I think that I may have come across as a bit too eager or overprepared. I'm not saying anything new here, but I think it's best just to relax and be yourself during the interview. Good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Schools: Yale SOM Class of 2012
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 215 [1] , given: 111

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2010, 07:54
This post received
KUDOS
i think historically around noon ET, although during R1 it was a few mins after 1pm ET

GMAT Debrief

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 17

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2010, 21:46
This post received
KUDOS
Apparently, this is the building within which our fates will be sealed. (Correct me if I'm wrong)
Attachments

hbs-adcom_Dillon House.jpg
hbs-adcom_Dillon House.jpg [ 189.51 KiB | Viewed 4967 times ]

"Many of the great achievements of the world were accomplished by tired and discouraged men who kept on working."
→ Although that didn't quite get me to HBS, so obviously the quotation is a little idealistic.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA
Schools: Harvard (R2 - Waiting), Stanford (R2 - See Wharton), Wharton (R2 - Bitchslapped)

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2010, 07:05
This post received
KUDOS
Turnpike wrote:
Apparently, this is the building within which our fates will be sealed. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Yes, it is.

I visited there last week and had to look at the campus map and enlist the help of current students I met in the library to find it. The whole campus looks like a very small suburb, with most of the office buildings being homes originally.

EDIT: I should add that I was looking for it around 10pm on Sunday night.

Euphoric in the midst of chaos

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, Booth, Stern, Kellogg

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 04:23
This post received
KUDOS
andrewcs wrote:
Someone on BW claims to have received an invite (R2) today...

Someone on BW is a big fat liar. :P

Besides, everyone knows that you can't trust someone who has a 4.0 GPA. They're either robots or geniuses, both of which are inherently evil.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 11 Feb 2010, 13:45
This post received
KUDOS
Haha, yeah. One way or the other I'm gonna get drunk cause of HBS tomorrow evening...!
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 68 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 10:10
This post received
KUDOS
Good luck to all who got the HBS invites. Unfortunately, no love for me.

Not having a single invite yet...I'm getting to the point where I need to start considering Option B. Maybe this is a lesson in itself, not to put all your eggs in the MBA basket.

Either a 2012 MBA is not for me or an MBA itself....whatever it is, gotta pick myself up and move on with life.

Good luck all...
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 6

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 10:14
This post received
KUDOS
no invite so that's that!

i am a bit disappointed that i didn't even get an invite, but that's life!

congratulations to everyone and be sure to kick some butt and represent gmatclub :)

Last edited by qaum on 15 May 2010, 19:57, edited 2 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: NYU Stern '12
WE 1: Business Development
WE 2: Superhero- shhhhhh

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 10

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 10:41
This post received
KUDOS
According to the HBS Director's Blog, invites will continue to go out till 5pm EST. As much as I would love to believe this, I have a feeling the majority have gone out already. It also notes that each person will "be contacted" and to not worry about missing the email. Anyone here who has received an invite been contacted (other than the email)?

This process has made me a bit too neurotic for my own good.

"Any school that meets you and still lets you in is not a good enough school to go to" - my mom upon hearing i got in
Thanks mom.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2010, 11:20
This post received
KUDOS
Congratulations to everyone who got invites. Alas, I am not one of you. I really did think I had a solid shot, and my essays should have been better because they were the last ones I did, and being passed over makes me feel like Stanford is an even longer shot than before, and so on and so on.

I know I have things for which to be grateful. For now I need to refocus on the great schools for which I have invites. But I am not giving up until April 6.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Stanford R1, Wharton R1 w/int, Chicago R1, HBS R2

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2010, 16:18
This post received
KUDOS
Getting (effectively) dinged at HBS makes me feel like that Polish skier from last night who fell flat on her face after about the first two seconds of the downhill run. Never even had a chance to fulfill her Olympic dreams... :(

Oh well, at least now fewer people will automatically assume that I'm a douchebag when they meet me.
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 102 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 20 Feb 2010, 18:34
This post received
KUDOS
Turnpike wrote:
Do International Applicants at HBS get waitlisted in R2? Certainly the Adcom would be aware that for an International Applicant arranging funding, accommodation and visa then and also completing compulsory pre-matriculation courses would be become a very tough proposition.

Internationals get WL'd, but one consideration adcom makes, esp. in June/July or so, when last WL admits are chosen, is how close you live to school. Stanford was pretty explicit about this last,keeping two kids on WL to the very end who lived in Palo Alto (not sure if they got in). It is pzzble for Int to get admitted off WL sooner than that, tho, when R3 decisions are made, in Mid May, or sooner.

AskSandy--the HBS guru
http://hbsguru.com
app + essay advice, free profile evaluation
GREAT HBS MOCK INTERVIEW service.

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates   [#permalink] 20 Feb 2010, 18:34