Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 14:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Top B-School
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [1] , given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 09:12
This post received
KUDOS
As expected... DING! It pays to cut one's losses quickly. I was devasted when I wasn't invited to interview but I have since moved on and the actual ding was not in the least painful. Congrats to all those accepted and a special hug to all those that were dinged after interviewing.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 09:48
This post received
KUDOS
Complete and utter disbelief...I got in!!! :-D

Just got a call from Dee (so nervous just talking to her!) but apparently I have good news in the form of money coming by mail! :shock:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 10:36
This post received
KUDOS
i'm in!!

2 hours later still in disbelief, wish i had something mailed so that it was more official...

haven't been on the site much since i only applied to 2 schools... here it is:

Stanford: DING w/o interview
HBS: Admitted!

congrats to everyone goin to bschool in the fall, i'm sure it'll be a blast and worth it wherever you go
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 10:41
This post received
KUDOS
I´m in as well. Congrats to admits and sincere condolences to those who were dinged.

Btw, anybody in Buenos Aires who wants to grab some celebratory beers tonight (or this weekend)?
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 39

Kudos [?]: 158 [1] , given: 36

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 11:36
This post received
KUDOS
WoW! Congratulations to everyone who got in! RonMexico and LB20 you guys Rock!!!

I also wanted to post a little reminder as everyone is making decisions. If you have decided to pick HBS over Wharton or any other school, please send an e-mail to the schools you are not taking offers from, so they can plan ahead and give the spot to someone who had been waitlisted. This way you may be helping other deserving people from this forum and beyond who are hoping to get into their dream schools !

Congrats again and have fun at HBS, you deserve it!

Tips: best-app-tips-77803-80.html#p610423
GMAT experience: gmat-710-q47-v41-what-worked-and-what-didn-t-81055.html#p608295
Telling your story: storytelling-82064.html#p615567
Other MBA women: calling-all-female-mba-applicants-84636.html
GMATClub interview practice groups: gmatclub-interview-groups-85902.html#p643929

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Haas (in); Yale (in); Kellogg (in); Sloan (interview/waiting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 5

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 12:16
This post received
KUDOS
hbsdreamer wrote:
hey fahim, sorry to hear that. are you from south asia by any chance? you can pm me if you don't want to state it here...

im actually from Miami...it's all good, I can't stand the cold weather anyways :-)
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2010, 12:45
This post received
KUDOS
I'm IN as well !!!

Any other Brazilians who were admitted?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 10:15
This post received
KUDOS
I got my interview invite yesterday, on the notifcation date for Round 2. Has anyone else heard of this happening?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton (Accepted R2), HBS (Accepted R2)

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 13:46
This post received
KUDOS
pilot wrote:
Big congrats to those who got in.

To meridian17, torontogirl, RonMexico, LB20, and Kohlia - I see you guys have also gotten into several other places -many of those with fellowship money. Would you without a doubt choose HBS over them?

I'm fortunate to get into Wharton in R1 with $20,000 fellowship. Already paid my $2,000 deposit so if I choose HBS that would mean giving up $22,000. Just want to hear what you guys would choose if you were me.

Absolutely 100% I am choosing Harvard over Wharton. That amount of money may seem like a lot right now, but spread over the long run, it will be peanuts compared to the value of your degree.

So, you should choose the school you think is best for you. For me, that's Harvard. I know a lot of alumni from W and H, and it's really the Harvard ones that stand out to me; they are the type of people I want to study with and have in my network. My boss (HBS grad) told me yesterday how nothing compares to his HBS degree, and it really changes the way people look at you. I never heard anyone from Wharton say that. Just my anecdotal experiences, of course, but hope it helps!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS/KSG Class of 2014 (deferring)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 15:41
This post received
KUDOS
Accepted and will be matriculating...in 2011 (deferring due to military related medical reasons).

In fact as an HBS/HKS Joint degree guy, with the first year being at the Kennedy school I won't be starting HBS until Fall of 2012...after you have all graduated!!!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 03:51
This post received
KUDOS
roll call purpose: Admitted on April 6:)
I am still thrilled
1 KUDOS received
MBA Admissions Consulting
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 102 [1] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2010, 10:33
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
Sandy, have you heard much on who the lucky 30 people who got off the R1 waitlist was? Also any surprises in R2 in general? I am still on the waitlist, but I have also heard that many people got dinged from the waitlist as well. Would be curious to hear your guesses on what happened and what may end up happening (is there hope for current waitlisters? will more get off based on precedents and what you saw in R2?)

as noted prior about who HBS takes off WL, THEY ARE NOT SURPRISES--THEY ARE STANDARD TYPES, NOT BALLERINAS OR BOXERS OR LONGSHOREMEN OR HOME COOKIE SALES SUCCESS STORIES, ETC. THE ARGUMENT (DITTO STANFORD) THEY USE, THAT WL IS USED LIKE MOSIAC TILES TO FILL IN SPECIFIC NEEDS OF CLASS IS B.S. UNLESS YOU IMAGINE MOSIAC OF CLASS TO SEASCAPE WITH SUNNY SKIES, AND IB AND CONSULTANTS ARE BLUE AND WATERY AND SUNNY TILES JUST USED TO PLUG IN BIG PICTURE.

THE FEW KIDS OF THE 30 I KNOW WHO GOT IN OFF WL AT HBS IN PAST COUPLA DAYS WERE STANDARD ISSUE BANKERS AND CONSULTANTS ABOUT WHOM I WAS PUZZLED THEY EVER WERE PUT ON WL IN FIRST PLACE. IF ANY OF THE MAGICAL 30 ARE OUT THERE, PLEASE POST YOUR STATS AND STORY IN SOME SHORT FORM WAY, Y0U'D BE DOING EVERYONE A FAVOR.

MOVING FORWARD, HARD TO SAY WHAT CURRENT NUMBERS ARE AND WHAT IS PROJECTED TO HAPPEN W. WL.

TWO YEARS AGO, MS. CHANG ISSUED A LETTER AT EXACTLY THIS POINT, W. SOME ACTUAL NUMBERS, WHICH YOU FIDDLE WITH ALL YOU WANT. TO SOME EXTENT, HBS IS NOT BEING AS TRANSPARENT THIS YEAR.

http://hbsguru.com/blog/2010/04/01/2008 ... -of-r2-wl/

AS YOU CAN TELL FROM MY COMMENTARY TO ABOVE POST, MY BALLPARK GUESS IS THAT HBS WL IS NOW ABOUT

200-250 PEEPS OF WHOM 20-30 WILL GET IN. STANFORD PERCENTS COULD BE IN LINE W. THAT.

X FACTORS ARE HOW MANY ROUND 3 APPLICATIONS THEY GOT (NOT FROM SENIORS) AND HOW YIELD TURNS OUT IN ROUND 2.

AskSandy--the HBS guru
http://hbsguru.com
app + essay advice, free profile evaluation
GREAT HBS MOCK INTERVIEW service.

1 KUDOS received

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2010, 11:13
This post received
KUDOS
2012dreams wrote:
sandy - any insight overall into application numbers? were both r1 and r2 up over last years? was r1 down from last years r1 and r2 up from last years? i just want to know if overall competition if even higher than last year's high, about the same, or less.

ha ha! I am not on that mailing list. In cases, where kids have interviewed at Wharton, Chi etc, adcoms and 2nd yrs have let slip or mentioned intentionally that apps were up, I dont have any consistent data or recall as to which rounds, and all this was 2nd hand. Heard some buzz that R1 apps were up 20 pct at Chi and Wharton? I dont have any info about r2. As to H and S, own guess is that total apps Rounds 1-3 are sorta flat at HBS and Stan, altho inter round numbers could jump around- last year at HBS, r1 apps were up 20 pct but then r2 apps were flat (same as r2 previous).

AskSandy--the HBS guru

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS

Kudos [?]: 13 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2010, 12:56
This post received
KUDOS
Magellan wrote:
Anyone managed to start the Kroll process? System does not recognise my ID/Pass yet..

I'd give them an email. I was able to login with any issue and start the Kroll process. It's so annoying when you have to fax something though.
1 KUDOS received

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2010, 08:23
This post received
KUDOS
well gotta give these U Wisc dudes credit for being one of the few liberal loudmouths who actually put some msucle and action behind their preaching to everyone else. HEY STANFORD, GOT ANY COMMENT ON THIS, OR ARE YOU WAITING FOR TIGER WOODS TO GIVE A SPEECH ABOUT SPORTS MARKETING IN THE KNIGHT CENTER INSTEAD:

Quote:
April 9, 2010, 03:32 PM ET
http://chronicle.com/blogPost/U-of-Wisconsin-Madison-Cuts/22445/?sid=pm&utm_source=pm&utm_medium=en
U. of Wisconsin-Madison Cuts Ties With Nike Over Worker Pay at Honduran Factories
The University of Wisconsin at Madison is rescinding its apparel-licensing contract with Nike over what the university called abuses of labor rights at two factories in Honduras that did work under a subcontract for the giant manufacturer of sneakers and other athletics gear. According to a news release issued by the university, the two factories were closed without notice last year, leaving workers with neither jobs nor more than $2-million in legally required severance payments. Under a Code of Conduct created by the university and enforced with the help of the Worker Rights Consortium, Nike is responsible for the actions of its subcontractors. Madison's chancellor, Biddy Martin, said several months of negotiations with Nike had been fruitless, so the university "decided it was best, all things considered, to end this business relationship" and forgo $49,000 in annual licensing revenue. The university took a similar step last year against another licensee, Russell Athletic, which was accused of closing a Honduran factory

AskSandy--the HBS guru

1 KUDOS received

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2010, 11:01
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
New York Times Story

Duke (undergrd) WL is 3383--Duke expects to take 60.

Similar stats at Ivies.

Sandy Says:
And adcoms LIE about who gets off WL. http://bit.ly/cJuauS

AskSandy--the HBS guru

1 KUDOS received

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2010, 11:07
This post received
KUDOS
hbsguru wrote:
Quote:
New York Times Story

Duke (undergrd) WL is 3383--Duke expects to take 60.

Similar stats at Ivies.

Sandy Says:
And adcoms LIE about who gets off WL. http://bit.ly/cJuauS

THIS IS 2003 WALL ST JOURNAL ARTICLE HIGHLIGHTING THE CORRUPTION OF DUKE UNDERGRADUATE ADMISSIONS. DONT THINK THESE PRACTICES ARE LIMITED TO DUKE. AS TO ADCOMS REMARK IN STORY ABOVE THAT WL CANDIDATES WILL BE CHOSEN ON HOW MANY VIOLINISTS ETC. IT TURNS OUT DUKE NEEDS, WELL, VIOLINISTS, INDEED. THE ONLY VIOLINISTS DUKE CARES ABOUT IS THE OWNER OF ABOUT 6 STRADS WHO IS WILLING TO DONATE THEM TO DUKE MUSIC DEPARTMENT

as noted so many times, the real reason to go to schools like Ivies and Duke is that you have fine-spoken people like their adcom directors willing to lie for you--that is a large part of what you are buying.

Quote:

Seeking Big Donors, Duke Woos
Beneficent 'Development Admits'
By DANIEL GOLDEN
Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
DURHAM, N.C. -- Despite her boarding-school education and a personal tutor, Maude Bunn's SAT scores weren't high enough for a typical student to earn admission to Duke University.
But Ms. Bunn had something else going for her -- coffeemakers. Her Bunn forebears built a fortune on them and, with Duke hoping to woo her wealthy parents as donors, she was admitted.
Afterward, her parents promptly became co-chairmen of a Duke fund-raising effort aimed at other Duke parents. "My child was given a gift, she got in, and now I'm giving back," says Maude's mother, Cissy Bunn, who declines to say how much the family has contributed to the university.
Most universities acknowledge favoring children of alumni who support their alma mater. But to attract prospective donors, colleges are also bending admissions standards to make space for children from rich or influential families that lack longstanding ties to the institutions. Through referrals and word-of-mouth, schools identify applicants from well-to-do families. Then, as soon as these students enroll, universities start soliciting gifts from their parents.
Duke says it has never traded an admission for a donation. "There's no quid pro quo, no bargains have been struck," says Peter Vaughn, director of development communications.

[now that is what I call a job title--he is mouthpiece for the develpment (aka bribe) office. And I thought calling yourself an admissions consultant was humiliating????]

While it won't comment on individual cases, the university notes that financial gifts from parents are used to update facilities and provide financial aid, among other things.

. . . .Top schools ranging from Stanford University to Emory University say they occasionally consider parental wealth in admission decisions. Other elite schools, such as Massachusetts Institute of Technology, say parental means don't influence them. "I understand why universities leverage parent contacts to enrich themselves," says Marilee Jones, dean of admissions at MIT. "If somebody's offering them a check, why not take it? But I honestly think it's out of control."

[YOU MAY RECALL THAT OH-SO-HONEST MS. JONES WAS LATER FIRED BY MIT FOR LYING ABOUT HER RESUME]
While children of the wealthy have long had advantages getting into colleges, a look at how "development" admissions works at Duke shows how institutionalized the process has become at some major universities.
Under-endowed compared with rivals such as Harvard, Princeton and Stanford, Duke has been particularly aggressive in snaring donors through admissions breaks. Widely considered one of the nation's top ten universities, Duke accepts 23% of its applicants and turns down more than 600 high-school valedictorians a year. Three-fourths of its students score above 1320 out of a perfect 1600 on the SATs.
Yet in recent years, Duke says it has relaxed these standards to admit 100 to 125 students annually as a result of family wealth or connections, up from about 20 a decade ago. These students aren't alumni children and were tentatively rejected, or wait-listed, in the regular admissions review. More than half of them enroll, constituting an estimated 3% to 5% of Duke's student body of 6,200.
The strategy appears to be paying off. For the last six years, Duke says it has led all universities nationwide in unrestricted gifts to its annual fund from nonalumni parents: about $3.1 million in 2001-2002. A university fund-raising campaign recently met its $2 billion goal. While 35% of alumni donate to Duke, 52% of parents of last year's freshman class contributed to the university -- besides paying $35,000 in tuition and room and board.
Students admitted for development reasons graduate at a higher rate than the overall student body, Duke says, although their grades are slightly lower. These applicants are held to the same lesser standard as some top athletes; not whether they can excel, but whether they can graduate. "There's never been a case where I think the student can't be successful at Duke, and the student is admitted," says admissions director Christoph Guttentag.
Caroline Diemar, a Duke senior, says she favors maintaining minority preference for college admissions because she knows from experience that well-connected white students get a boost too. The daughter of an investment banker, she applied early to Duke despite an 1190 SAT score. Her candidacy was deferred to the spring.
She then buttressed her application with recommendations from two family friends who were Duke donors, and she was accepted. "I needed something to make me stand out," says Ms. Diemar, a sociology major with a 3.2 grade point average, below the 3.4 average of the senior class. "Everybody at Duke has something that got them in." The lesson she learned: "Networking is how you go about everything."
After she enrolled, Duke recruited Ms. Diemar's parents to serve as co-chairmen of a fund-raising effort. Her father, Robert Diemar, declined to say how much he has given to Duke. "We support all of our five children's schools," said Mr. Diemar, a Princeton alumnus. He said Duke accepted his daughter on merit.

. . . .

The late Terry Sanford, Duke president from 1969 to 1985, practiced donor preference on a large scale. Mr. Sanford, a gregarious former North Carolina governor, used his wide circle of contacts in business, politics and the media to elevate Duke from a regional to a national university. According to Keith Brodie, Duke's president emeritus, Mr. Sanford would personally meet each year with the admissions and development directors to ensure special attention for 200 of these friends' children applying to Duke. More than 100 would ultimately enroll.
As president from 1985 to 1993, Dr. Brodie says, he removed himself from the admissions process, resisted lobbying by some trustees, and trimmed the number of underqualified students admitted due to donor preference to 20 a year. "A Duke education is too valuable an asset to squander," says Dr. Brodie, a professor of psychiatry, who was criticized as president for a lack of fund-raising zeal. "University presidents are under greater pressure than ever to raise money," he adds. "I suspect many of them have turned to admissions to help that process."
Harold Wingood, who was senior associate director of admissions under Dr. Brodie, recalls that 30 to 40 students per year were upgraded from "rejected" to "wait-list," or from "wait-list" to "admit" due to their family ties. "We'd take students in some cases with SAT scores 100 points below the mean, or just outside the top 15% of their class," says Mr. Wingood, now dean of admissions at Clark University in Worcester, Mass. "They weren't slugs, but they weren't strong enough to get in on their own."
The numbers have increased under Ms. Keohane, Duke's current president. Duke says it admitted about 125 nonalumni children in 1998, and again in 1999, who had been tentatively rejected or wait-listed prior to considering family connections. It accepted 99 such students in 2000. Similar data aren't available for 2001 or 2002, the school says.
Ms. Keohane says she didn't intentionally increase the number of wealthy applicants given a leg up. She says "it is possible that the numbers drifted upward" during the recent $2 billion-fundraising campaign because "more people in development expressed interest in candidates. But this was certainly not a policy directive, or even a conscious choice."
The system at Duke works this way: Through its own network and names supplied by trustees, alumni, donors and others, the development office identifies about 500 likely applicants with rich or powerful parents who are not alumni. (Children of major alumni donors are given similar preference in a separate process.) It cultivates them with campus tours and basic admissions advice; for instance, applying early increases their chances. It also relays the names to the admissions office, which returns word if any of the students forget to apply -- so development can remind them.
The development office then winnows the initial 500 into at least 160 high-priority applicants. Although these names are flagged in the admissions-office computer, admissions readers evaluate them on merit, without regard to family means. About 30 to 40 are accepted, the others tentatively rejected or wait-listed. During an all-day meeting in March, Mr. Guttentag and John Piva Jr., senior vice president for development, debate these 120 cases, weighing their family's likely contribution against their academic shortcomings.
In her 2001 book, "Admissions Confidential," former Duke admissions officer Rachel Toor recalled that most admissions officers "hated to see these kids get in" because they were "the weakest part of our applicant pool." Nevertheless, most of the 120 students are admitted.
Once these children of privilege enroll, the development office enlists their parents as donors and fund raisers. According to Dr. Brodie, Duke's parent program originated as a forum for parent concerns about safety issues, but it has evolved into a fund-raising vehicle.
A committee of more than 200 nonalumni parents provides its volunteer army for the four classes currently at Duke. Committee members usually give at least $1,000 to Duke, and the eight co-chairmen and the national chairman much more -- including at least two seven-figure gifts endowing faculty chairs.
Membership in the parents' committee is by invitation only and is overwhelmingly white. Lately, one affluent Chicago suburb -- Lake Forest -- has dominated its higher echelons. Lake Forest luminaries on the committee have included department-store heir Marshall Field V, who has given at least $100,000 to Duke; Paul Clark, chief executive of Icos Corp., a biotech firm; Robert DePree, chairman of corn-meal maker House-Autry Mills Inc.; and investment banker Willard Bunn III, Maude's father.
The Lake Forest couples are social friends, serve on many of the same Chicago-area boards and several sent their children to the same private elementary school, Lake Forest Country Day. They write recommendations to Duke for each other's children.
'Pretty Intimate Group'
Susan DePree, Robert's wife, describes the Duke parents committee as a "pretty intimate group" but not "clubby." She declined to say how much she and her husband have contributed to Duke, but says they solicited at least one six-figure gift from a parent-committee member.
Maude Bunn, whose family lives in Lake Forest, attended an elite boarding school in Lawrenceville, N.J., where the Bunn Library opened in 1996. She says other Lake Forest parents recommended her to Duke.
Cissy Bunn acknowledges her daughter didn't fit the academic profile of a Duke student. "She's bright, she had good grades, but she doesn't meet the superstar status," Mrs. Bunn says. "Did my normal child take the place of somebody who could really make a difference in the world? Sure, yes, to an extent. But there are so many things you can lose sleep over. I'm happy for me and my child."
Maude Bunn says she initially felt very awkward at Duke because her admission "wasn't necessarily on my own merits." But these days, the sophomore says she is thriving. "The more time I've spent here, I feel more and more confident -- they didn't have to take me if they didn't think I was equal to all the other students they are admitting," she says. "I'm doing just as well as everybody I know if not better." She is studying art history and wants a career in fashion.
Now her younger sister Meg, a high-school senior, is applying to Duke. Maude says the family likes Meg's chances. "The people my mother works with for fund raising told her, 'It's really hard to get the first child in,' " she says. "After that, sisters and brothers are easier." Duke says it, like many universities, gives some preference to siblings.
Mrs. Bunn says she's not twisting anyone's arm. "I told them, 'If she's qualified at all, that would be lovely,' " she says. "If she gets in, I'd be happy to stay on the parents' committee."
As college admission becomes increasingly competitive, parents try to help their children's chances in any way they can. Duke accepted Jane Hetherington in 2000, despite SAT scores in the mid-1200s and what she calls "average" grades in high school. She attributes her acceptance to a "wonderful recommendation" by Norman Christensen Jr., then dean of Duke's Nicholas School of the Environment and Earth Sciences, a graduate program. She got the recommendation after one meeting with him.
At the time, her father, John Hetherington, was vice president of Westvaco Corp., a paper-products firm that had donated to the school, sponsored research there and hired some of its graduates. Mr. Hetherington asked a family friend on the school's advisory board to have the dean interview Ms. Hetherington.
Mr. Christensen, a Duke professor, says he was impressed by Ms. Hetherington's devotion to environmental studies. The student's father later reciprocated by arranging a meeting between the school's new dean and Westvaco's chief executive officer, hoping the company would increase support for the school. Nothing came of it, says Mr. Hetherington. (Westvaco merged with Mead Corp. last year.)
"I don't feel we benefited from anything you would describe as the traditional white power structure network," says Mr. Hetherington, who is now a Republican state representative in Connecticut and favors a "sunset law" for affirmative action. He doesn't think his position affected his daughter's acceptance into college. "It worked out for some reason," he says. "In all candor, we got lucky."
Write to Daniel Golden at dan.golden@wsj.com
Updated February 20, 2003

AskSandy--the HBS guru

1 KUDOS received

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2010, 12:33
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:
Sandy,

Thoughts on the latest USN rankings?

Wharton at #5 - blip or sign of a real change atop the rankings?

SURPRISING ALTHO NOT UNPRECEDENTED (Wharton has dropped out of top 3 before).

The acid test for me is how many kids w. admits to W, MIT, Kellogg or Chi are NOT choosing Wharton.

I'd say not many but more than in previous years by some small but undefinable amnt.

The analyiss of this on the Wharton Fall From Grace thread and USNEWS rankings thread on this Forum cover a lot of clever angles, but consensus view is that what hit Wharton this year was %employed at grad and 3 month post grad (using last year's data!) and thus it was getting slammed b.c. finance (IB/PE etc) hiring was down. That makes some sense, and would also account for the fact that starting salaries were down (quite a bit compared to other schools).

Sooooooo, whether those key stats were recession related, and should uptick next year b.c. market is better, we shall see. Wharton historically had trouble w. the employed at grad and 3 months pst grad stats (even in good times) b.c. kids often held out for dream job in finance rather than take switch careers, and often won their bets. If there was category, employed 6 months post grad, I think W. might tick up in rankings. All that said, fr. numbers in USNEWS report and from just what I hear, last year was really tuff at Wharton, job wise. One issue is did adcom start changing focus just a bit away fr. finance to accept a more 'diverse' class in terms of careers? And hence lower salaries result? Dunno.

The Wharton results cannot be hand-waived away, if there is a total contraction in finance jobs over next x years as a result of some new order resulting fr. legislation/Obama/lack-of-liquidity blah blah, that would be serious for all schools, but esp. Wharton. If all this jive talk about financial reform etc. goes out the window, and DOW keeps going up, and somehow economy turns around, and everyone goes back to the punch bowl again and happy days are here again, well, that would be most happily for Wharton. Predicting that, as our president once said in similar situation, is above my pay grade.

Any current Wharton 2yrs care to check in w. some reliable gossip about how hard it was --or not--to get a finance job this year???

AskSandy--the HBS guru

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2010, 08:43
This post received
KUDOS
Received invite on 9:04AM via email from "HBS MBA Admissions"
1 KUDOS received

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2010, 12:50
This post received
KUDOS
JDMBA wrote:
Sandy,

Have you ever heard of a student that was dinged by HBS appeal the decision with success? Friends of mine did this for undergrad and got in (after they were dinged). I'm at HLS now and didnt get into HBS, w/o interview (for the second time). Needless to say I am determined to get in and overcome the low-tier undergrad, non-traditional-HBS resume stigma that HBS seems to have placed on my applications. Thoughts?

-JD[strike]MBA[/strike]

NO--what happens is if you actually have any bigfoot in your camp, e.g. big donor, or more likely, PISSED OFF guy at your firm (which hires lotsa HBS kids, viz. Bain Cap, McKinsey, TPG, etc.) who is able to call Dee or Dean Light, they arrange for you to get 'feedback' w. adcom, which does not say anything much (in most cases) but is a signal that if you reapply, you will prob. get in. I've seen that happen dozens of times. What I have never seen at HBS (have seen at Wharton) is a DING being reversed by a phone call. And I've been privy 2nd-hand to some POWERFUL PHONE CALLS, they never Un-Ding you, they just set you up for admission next year.
As to you, which no offense, well your status is just Schmuck -HLS -Burn-Out , a status that includes about 15 percent of the class over at HLS who have quickly discovered 1. Law sucks; 2. There are damn few jobs. HBS was innundated w. HLS apps this year, and not many made it through. Your status next year, as either 3L or dopey grad at the Federal Bean Counting Bureau, where you will be on some Kafka-like assembly-line double-checking mortgage tranches put together by Fab and NYU-HBS grad Mr. Paulson, well, it is even LESS inviting. Sorry, but my advice is just castrate yourself, get a funny hobby, and vow in the next life not to be a lawyer, this life is over, friend. The Boat has Sailed.

AskSandy--the HBS guru

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates   [#permalink] 18 Apr 2010, 12:50