Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 21:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 02 Aug 2009, 18:16
Darn.

You are right. I stand corrected.

I`
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 49 [1] , given: 21

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2009, 04:23
This post received
KUDOS
A few notable comments from Dee during last night's "Business School Admissions Panel" event in DC:

- Out of approximately 9100 applications, HBS will interview 1800 "finalists". Your interviewer will have read EVERYTHING from your app, and your interview will be a 30-minute conversation where their goal is to determine whether or not they would like you to be their section-mate (if they were a student).

- "Let go of the burning desire to stand out ... many of our applicants have done ordinary things really well ..."
- (on essays) "Your blink response is the right answer ... you just need to EXECUTE".
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2009, 14:17
mba12tech wrote:
A few notable comments from Dee during last night's "Business School Admissions Panel" event in DC:

- Out of approximately 9100 applications, HBS will interview 1800 "finalists". Your interviewer will have read EVERYTHING from your app, and your interview will be a 30-minute conversation where their goal is to determine whether or not they would like you to be their section-mate (if they were a student).

- "Let go of the burning desire to stand out ... many of our applicants have done ordinary things really well ..."
- (on essays) "Your blink response is the right answer ... you just need to EXECUTE".

I was there at the panel discussion too. Few other things I got out of it:
- The mode of the experience distribution is 3 years
- Not to worry about the average profile. The class profile is something that falls out after the adcom reviews your full application -- they do not actively try to manage the profile to get people with a certain {GMAT / age / industry}. They're looking for you to prove leadership no matter what.

Oh, and also, I'm in for R1 :-D

Gluck everybody.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: HBS Class of 2011
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2009, 20:31
Just wanted to say good luck to everybody applying this year!

Feel free to reach out to me if you have any specific questions. :)
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Berkeley, UVA, and maybe some others

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2009, 14:14
I'm considering applying in round 2. Not sure yet. I'm afraid my low GPA will kick me out right off the bat, but Harvard has been my dream school since I was a kid, and I'm a big fan of the case method.
Current Student
Schools: F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 16

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 09 Aug 2009, 13:16
Count me in as well .. .you only live once ... might as well roll the die.

INSEAD Sept 2010 Interview Invite Nov 5, 2009 Admit & Matriculating
Wharton Sept 2010 Interview Invite Oct 30, 2009 Waitlisted & Ding
Harvard Sept 2010 Ding without Interview
Ivey May 2010 Interview Invite Nov 23, 2009 Admit + $$

Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 16:58
1st page updated
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2009, 22:49
I wanted to pick the brains of folks who applied last year to HBS , what are your thoughts about listing a personal achievement in the achievements essay. The personal achievement I have is something that has shaped my views about importance of different things in life. It demonstrates leadership and ability to cope with stress.
However, while talking to a few folks and a blog here and there, what i have got is that since its qualitative, and in a personal setting , it might not work for harvard. It depends on WHO reads the application and what views they hold.

What are people's thoughts about this ?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2009, 00:18
nutmba wrote:

I considered writing a personal anecdote as well ( learning what doesn't kill me will make me stronger etc...) but I had the same misgivings as you. I discarded it in favor of another anecdote from my professional life. Maybe you can find a way to show how the personal realization impacted you professionally? (BTW not an expert in any sense, just throwing ideas out).

I had a question regarding the recommendations. Apparently HBS requires 3 (was surprised to find this out). Is there any way to find out what the specific questions are? (I know HBS focuses on leadership but specific questions help in conversations with folks writing recommendations). I'm waiting to find out before I submit their emails so that I can talk to them first. Hopefully I haven't pushed this out too far.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2009, 00:27
Deepauk wrote:
I had a question regarding the recommendations. Apparently HBS requires 3 (was surprised to find this out). Is there any way to find out what the specific questions are? (I know HBS focuses on leadership but specific questions help in conversations with folks writing recommendations). I'm waiting to find out before I submit their emails so that I can talk to them first. Hopefully I haven't pushed this out too far.

Here you go:

http://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/writt ... ation.html

Recommender Questions for the Class of 2012
Recommendations must be completed online. The form includes the following three essay response questions, along with other types of questions.

Please comment on the context of your interaction with the applicant. How long have you known the applicant and in what connection? If applicable, briefly describe the applicant's role in your organization. (250-word limit)

Please describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant's response. (250-word limit)

Please make additional statements about the applicant's performance, potential, or personal qualities you believe would be helpful to the MBA Admissions Board. (250-word limit)
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2009, 14:24
Deepauk wrote:

Don't wanna be rude but I don't like your ignorance and lack of effort. You could have easily (10-20sec) find this info if only you had opened HBS Admissions website. And even easier (2-5 sec) if you had read this thread (i.e. see 1st post on 1st page).
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, Wharton, MIT, Columbia

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2009, 14:39
Military intel officer here. Please put me down for round 1.

garbus222 wrote:
Don't wanna be rude but I don't like your ignorance and lack of effort. You could have easily (10-20sec) find this info if only you had opened HBS Admissions website. And even easier (2-5 sec) if you had read this thread (i.e. see 1st post on 1st page).

I couldn't agree more.
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard '11
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 28

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2009, 18:18
nutmba wrote:
I wanted to pick the brains of folks who applied last year to HBS , what are your thoughts about listing a personal achievement in the achievements essay. The personal achievement I have is something that has shaped my views about importance of different things in life. It demonstrates leadership and ability to cope with stress.
However, while talking to a few folks and a blog here and there, what i have got is that since its qualitative, and in a personal setting , it might not work for harvard. It depends on WHO reads the application and what views they hold.

I wrote about a personal accomplishment in my essay (and 2 professional ones), and it may just work for you as well! If it's a heart-wrenching story that is sure to draw at least a crocodile tear or two (maybe even real tears?) from the eyes of the heartless HBS Adcom, then you should write about it. Mine wasn't a tear-jerker, but I'll trade an admit for adcom tears any day.

Summary: Having two professional accomplishments and one personal accomplishment might break the monotony a little bit. You should go for it.

Disclaimer: The admissions committee at HBS are really nice folks, actually.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Berkeley, UVA, and maybe some others

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2009, 01:45
This post received
KUDOS
If I do end up applying, I will also write about 2 professional and 1 personal achievement. I decided to just be very hopen and honest with the application and not try to make it just look nice. One of my biggest achievements in my view is a personal achievement, so that's what will be in the application.

I don't think (I'm not an admissions expert though) writing about a personal achievement will hurt an application, as long as the professional achievements listed are meaningful and you can explain well why the personal one is meaningful to you, and perhaps more meaningful than other professional achievements.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2009, 06:58
garbus222 wrote:

I deserve that. It was an oversight on my part. I saw them below the essay questions on the website before nutmba replied. Apologies if I wasted anyone's time and thanks for pointing this out. It was one of those nervous applicant mistakes I hope I don't make again. (Maybe I'll use this in essay 2).

Please add me to the R1 applicants list.
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, Stanford (dinged), Wharton (WL), Kellogg, Chicago (Accepted), MIT (WL)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2009, 07:50
Deepauk wrote:
garbus222 wrote:

I deserve that. It was an oversight on my part. I saw them below the essay questions on the website before nutmba replied. Apologies if I wasted anyone's time and thanks for pointing this out. It was one of those nervous applicant mistakes I hope I don't make again. (Maybe I'll use this in essay 2).

LOL!!!

Dude, it happens. The problem is that not all the schools publish their questions. I think Wharton doesn't publish them...I wish they did...
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2009, 11:15
nutmba wrote:

I followed Sandy's (and many other consultants') advice: 1 professional, 1 academic, 1 other (extracurricular mostly). I don't see major issue with personal accomplishment as long as it's distinct, important to ones development and shows leadership. I guess the leadership part is tricky when it comes to personal accomplishments... It's much easier to show leadership through professional/academic/extracurricular actions... and that's also probably the reason why people follow this pattern.

latammc wrote:
The problem is that not all the schools publish their questions. I think Wharton doesn't publish them...I wish they did...

Is it really an issue???... Can't you set up dummy account, register yourself as a recommender and receive Wharton's (or any other school's) questions?

Deepauk wrote:
I deserve that. It was an oversight on my part. I saw them below the essay questions on the website before nutmba replied. Apologies if I wasted anyone's time and thanks for pointing this out. It was one of those nervous applicant mistakes I hope I don't make again. (Maybe I'll use this in essay2).

Good reflection ;-) and no worries...

BTW, Roll call updated.
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, Stanford (dinged), Wharton (WL), Kellogg, Chicago (Accepted), MIT (WL)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2009, 11:33
Garbus,

I correct myself, they did publish them it was in the Application Instructions section of the application. Since I had read those beforehand I omitted that part and missed the Qs...

Haven't started my HBS app so far so nothing interesting to ask or to comment...hopefully in 2/3 weeks I will be full hands on...
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2009, 14:58
Thanks folks. your perspectives helped clarify this. Also, I strongly believe my personal achievement is important to me as a person and has to be shared. So its a go for now. :)
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2009, 20:36
http://www.hbs.edu/mba/profiles/Portrai ... 9portrait/

http://www.hbs.edu/mba/profiles/Portrai ... 2portrait/

Just wanted to share the links above bcoz I found them useful. The notes below each portrait paint a picture of the kind of people Harvard admits. Some of them could also double as a stylistic template.
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2010 Candidates   [#permalink] 14 Aug 2009, 20:36