Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HKUST (S)
Send PM
Re: HKUST 2011-2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Hi All! I just applied for round 3..I don't have a very strong profile, but I thought I'd give it a shot..got a GMAT score of 640. Have w.e. of 2.5yrs of which I spent 4 months in Europe for work. I am not very hopeful about getting a call for an interview-my essays weren't too strong either..has anybody applied for R3??
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey Sesshamaru - yes, I applied on the 15th. I'm not sure how much luck I'll have as, aside from the issue of actually getting in, there's the question of getting a visa at this late stage (I'm from the UK).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi brokengod..i haven't really thought about the visa stage as yet! :) This was my first application to a b-school! Let me know if you get called for an interview..All the best!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Will do. HKUST is my first choice, so fingers are crossed.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
US APPLICANTS: Does anyone know whether or not HKUST is on the FAFSA list of schools approved to receive Stafford Loans????? It was on the list when I submitted my FAFSA a couple weeks ago but I just pulled a list of 2011-2012 approved schools and its not on it. How is everyone funding their education?? Private loans? Scholarships? Help.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nycgirl191 wrote:
ehpaul wrote:
First of all - Congratulations to those admitted to 2011 HKUST MBA. Question for American applicants - if any of you are planning to withdraw partially or entirely from your IRA account for education fund? According to the IRS, there will not be early withdrawal penalty as long as the school is an "IRS-approved institution". No doubt most American MBA are in this approved category. What about HKUST?

ehpaul, HKUST has a FAFSA code, so I *assume* it is an IRS-approved institution, but I am researching this as well and will keep you posted on what I find out!

Hey guys-

I've got an interest in this issue as well - here's what I've turned up so far on 401(k) hardship distributions:

Although the distributions are subject to the rules as defined by each individual plan, 401(k) hardship distributions are generally not subject to the 10% penalty. Also the regs say "Payment of tuition, related educational fees, and room and board expenses,
for up to the next 12 months of post-secondary education for the employee,
or the employee’s spouse, children, or dependents." There is no reference to qualified education expenses as would be necessary to avoid a 10% penalty on distributions from an IRA. So, unlike an IRA, I don't think the school needs to be FAFSA approved for the 401(k) hardship distribution to be penalty-free. For IRA considerations on whether HKUST is FAFSA approved, they are not on an updated list as of 2/1/11 and are in the process of being re-certified - let's hope it goes through before school starts.

For a distribution from a 401(k) plan to be on account of hardship, it must be made on account of an immediate and heavy financial need of the employee and the amount must be necessary to satisfy the financial need.

Whether a need is immediate and heavy depends on the facts and circumstances. Certain expenses are deemed to be immediate and heavy, including: (1) certain medical expenses; (2) costs relating to the purchase of a principal residence; (3) tuition and related educational fees and expenses; (4) payments necessary to prevent eviction from, or foreclosure on, a principal residence; (5) burial or funeral expenses; and (6) certain expenses for the repair of damage to the employee's principal residence. Expenses for the purchase of a boat or television would generally not qualify for a hardship distribution. A financial need may be immediate and heavy even if it was reasonably foreseeable or voluntarily incurred by the employee.

A distribution is not considered necessary to satisfy an immediate and heavy financial need of an employee if the employee has other resources available to meet the need, including assets of the employee's spouse and minor children. Whether other resources are available is determined based on facts and circumstances. Using a distribution prior to liquidating all other feasible assets will result in the distribution being taxed and subject to the 10% penalty. Any cash in savings/checking also must be applied to the hardship expense before determining the amount of the qualifying distribution.

A distribution is deemed necessary to satisfy an immediate and heavy financial need of an employee if: (1) the employee has obtained all other currently available distributions and loans under the plan and all other plans maintained by the employer; and (2) the employee is prohibited, under the terms of the plan or an otherwise legally enforceable agreement, from making elective contributions and employee contributions to the plan and all other plans maintained by the employer for at least 6 months after receipt of the hardship distribution.

A hardship distribution may not exceed the amount of the employee's need. However, the amount required to satisfy the financial need may include amounts necessary to pay any taxes or penalties that may result from the distribution.

RECORDING THE DISTRIBUTION: Your 401k administrator may record the request for an exception but is not the entity that grants it. The IRS does that when you file your taxes. You will receive a 1099-R for the distribution. The distribution must be added to income on Line 15 of Form 1040, whether you get the exception or not. The exception only applies to the penalty, not the income taxes. You must further file Form 5329 to record the early distribution and establish your hardship need. You will need the following documentation:
• Tuition statement or invoice.
• Room and board statement or invoice.
• Receipts, statements or invoices for other educational related expenses.
• A copy or confirmation of your most recent beneficiary designation made under the Plan, if the financial hardship is with respect to a Participant’s primary beneficiary.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I am freaking out a bit! I still haven't heard back from the Uni and the application status shows 'under review'. Everyone on this forum seems to have heard back from the Uni in 2 weeks time..should i keep any hope?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I got a notification for an interview next Wednesday...feeling the weight on my shoulders as I keep on reading this thread. Good luck to all who also got an interview!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Does anyone here know what is the approximate acceptance rate if you are invited for an interview?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Interviewed yesterday. Very interesting, but utterly impossible to figure out whether I did well or badly. Second part of the interview was very focused on post-MBA placement - i.e. what I could bring to a private sector firm in HK. Not that surprising given that I currently work for government, that the majority of my experience is on macro-issues and that as a Brit I have the obvious mandarin gap. Nonetheless, contrary to some of the earlier posts I found this quite reassuring - good to know that the school is thinking forward to what I could look like post-MBA.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi brokengod...good for you! :) i haven't heard from them so am assuming my application got rejected..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi guys, any HKUST MBA 2011/2012 Part timers here? I've been admitted and looking forward to the start of MBA journey!
Would be nice to hear from future classmates :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Congrats, lalu. I've applied in R2 for the admission of HKUST part-time MBA in autumn 2011. However, I haven't heard anything yet. When did you apply?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Hkgirl, I applied at the end of R2, had an interview two weeks after and the offer came in around two weeks after the interview. After reading the blog I was guite surprised with such a fast process!
I keep my fingers crossed for you, hkgirl :-)

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Lalu. I actually meant that I haven't heard anything after the interview. :P

I attended the interview 3 weeks after the application deadline and probably I should wait one more week. I was also very surprised to be invited to sign up for an interview just one day after the application for R2 was closed.

I hope I can join you in class.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Sesshamaru. I wouldn't discount yourself at this point - we're still well within the publicised interview notifcation period. Still all to play for...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
Academic Rigour.

This is partly because of the length of the MBA. If you campare to a typical 2 years MBA, credits are spread out over a longer period. HKKUST can be 12 or 16/18 months. 3 semesters vs 4. The first semester is crammed full of pre-elective classes making it academically busy.

In terms of academic challenge.. that will depend on each individual. Some people will find it less challenging than others, whereas some will put less effort in, as they maintain a different set of balances study vs network vs play

Comparatively speaking (class vs class vs school), when I compare the electives I took at Haas vs HKUST, it really did depend on your prior subject knowledge, the individual class, and the class make up. e.g.

At Haas, I took a wireless/mobile tech management class.. many people in the class found it challenging, there were exceptional amounts of reading (10 hours a week) to do before each class, and a write up every week.. my previous work experience meant that absorbing the reading was much easier than people who had no prior experience. Similarly, at HKUST, when I took a couple of tech management classes, it was mixed with PT students. This meant that workload was less because PT students have to balance work with study, the same thing happened at Haas when I took a business model innovation class mixed with PT students, workload is less.

Lower fixed workload does not mean lower academic rigour! What you will tend to find is if you have an key interest in the topic, you will find it engaging and less academic rigourous even if the workload is high. The reverse is true for core subjects you have little interest in... e.g. Some people may find business statistics challenging, because they have little interest in it.. not because of workload... even though it is a base skill needed in other subjects (e.g. marketing analysis, corporate finance etc.)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts