Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 15:55

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Int'l applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Schools: MIT Sloan
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

Calling all Int'l applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2007, 21:09
Thought it would be useful to gather ideas and inputs about issues that gen plague the Int'l applicants

- Visa status
- H1B Quandry
- Student loans

For starters - me, right now on H1B, goin to take a gamble by stepping back to the F1 arena if I get an admit !

Is anyone filing for the EAD that has become current for all EB category recently ?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Int'l applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2007, 21:13
grad_mba wrote:
Thought it would be useful to gather ideas and inputs about issues that gen plague the Int'l applicants

- Visa status
- H1B Quandry
- Student loans

For starters - me, right now on H1B, goin to take a gamble by stepping back to the F1 arena if I get an admit !

Is anyone filing for the EAD that has become current for all EB category recently ?

Thanks for starting a nice thread. MBA is always a gamble for international students and ROI is much lower for them than US students considering the career/family/money risks involved.

But risks are always there if you want to make it big in life.

I am an applicant from Pakistan, now in Australia managing my own small business and planning to go to US for an MBA this year.

Thanks
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2007, 21:15
Reposting the Q i posted on an other thread -

One more consideration -

For any Int'l applicant working say for the past 3-4 yrs will utmost have only an EAD. It takes a further good 2-3 yrs to get the GC.

you cannot attend full time school with just ur EAD after quitting ur job (in which case ur EAD becomes void)

you cannot get a F1 either - as u have expressed immigrant intent by applying for ur EAD !!

So .. whats the solution ?

-wait for ur GC which u might get in like 6 yrs from now ?
- marry a US citizen ? :P

On the serious side - what are the options for Int'l applicants who already have a H1?
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

[#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2007, 21:28
H1-B visa does not imply "immigrant status" - if that were so, each of the 65000 H1-B visa applicants would be treated as an immigrant.

you have to switch to F1, by sending in a form to INS - they approve that form and immediately cancel your H-1 and switch your status to F1. You dont have to leave the US to carry out this process.

So, I don't see a problem here. I have been to a lot of student sessions and met a fair number of applicants with H-1B visas.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 443 [0], given: 210

[#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2007, 21:30
Well since I dont reside in the US, and have visited the US only once (for 2 weeks), I am truly an international candidate. I am not too concerned about the citizenship / work visa issue, since Australia has a separate work visa arrangement with the US.

I am concerned about the loan and the banking system in the US. How easy is it to finance the MBA? What types of loans are available ? What kind of collateral do they require ?

Also what type of paperwork is required to get the F1 visa if you are not already in the US ?
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2007, 21:37
aviroop wrote:
H1-B visa does not imply "immigrant status" - if that were so, each of the 65000 H1-B visa applicants would be treated as an immigrant.

you have to switch to F1, by sending in a form to INS - they approve that form and immediately cancel your H-1 and switch your status to F1. You dont have to leave the US to carry out this process.

So, I don't see a problem here. I have been to a lot of student sessions and met a fair number of applicants with H-1B visas.

aviroop, I wasn talking about H1B status as being considered 'immigrant' status.
I was asking about the i-480 application - a.k.a EAD application which you file once your priority date becomes current.

Now filing this exposes your immigrant intent and you cannot get a F1 after u file for EAD (atleast that what I have heard)

going from H1B to F1 is not an issue as you stated.
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2007, 23:09
I am also in a similar situation. I had posted similar questions on - http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... multaneous

and

http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=45988 (The later part of the thread)

In the end I just decided to go ahead with both the GC and MBA applications without worrying about them so much .. this was the only way I could stay sane.
Director
Director
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 8

[#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2007, 10:56
grad_mba wrote:
aviroop wrote:

aviroop, I wasn talking about H1B status as being considered 'immigrant' status.
I was asking about the i-480 application - a.k.a EAD application which you file once your priority date becomes current.

Now filing this exposes your immigrant intent and you cannot get a F1 after u file for EAD (atleast that what I have heard)

going from H1B to F1 is not an issue as you stated.

sorry, I midunderstood your post -
As far as I know, you can still pursue school - the school will not give you an F1 visa, but something on the lines of your EAD - I know coz one of my friends (from europe), came down here, filed an application for immigration, and then went to school - he did not get a F1 visa - I am not clear what he did, but I will call him to find out
Director
Director

[#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 15:31
An interesting article I came across -

http://www.collegejournal.com/mbacenter ... alsop.html

Guess il always have the tech cushion to fall back on ! or atleast I think.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

CPT/OPT already used during MS? [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2007, 20:13
I'm sure all of you, who have done Masters from US have used some of your CPT, and most of your OPT (EAD period). I know that there is a limited time one an use for OPT/CPT (1 year) for a masters (be it Science or BA).
So if I have used 8 months of CPT working as an intern already, I have just months of CPT left for MBA. Same for OPT.
This disappoints me.
Does anyone believe the rules play otherwise ..?
CPT/OPT already used during MS?   [#permalink] 08 Aug 2007, 20:13