Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 1186
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Consulting (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GMAT 2: 750 Q51 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE:Marketing (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2014 Intake) Class of 2015 [#permalink]
Had anyone else had their interviews? Please share. My date is for the 5th of Feb
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
Schools: ISB '15 (A)
GMAT Date: 10-07-2013
GRE 1: Q800 V650
Send PM
Hello Alll,
I have opted for Skype interview, is there still a chance to get an interview.
AnuP
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [2]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello Everyone,

I have updated the first post with employment report and some screenshots.
Good luck to everyone applying!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Has anybody whose interview city is Kolkata, got any call from ISB ?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: SMU Cox
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.75
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
pradbitt wrote:
Has anybody whose interview city is Kolkata, got any call from ISB ?

Yes people have started reporting calls, check pagalguy for reference
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
@Narenn.... Thanks a lot... I was just about to start looking up and analysing this info...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
kartikdatwani wrote:
Hi brethart

I've been traveling for two days. Will reply later. Sorry for the delay.

Posted from my mobile device

Hi Kartik. Would it be possible for you to share your experience (post settling down from travelling :wink: :wink: :wink: )?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V36
GPA: 3.3
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Other)
Send PM
I had my Skype interview yesterday. It lasted exactly 30 minutes. They started off asking me about my work experience. They spend about 15 minutes trying to understand what I do and what challenges I faced. They specifically asked to described couple of instances of conflict at the workplace. Then they went on to my goals as they were aligned with my past. They wanted to know why I needed ISB if my plans were so clear in my head. All this took up another 15 minutes. They were really pressed for time as they didn't ask me anything about outside of work and outside of my goals post-ISB.

I felt they did not really get to know me very well. But in such situations you do the best you can. I believe they wanted to know certain things through the interview and hopefully they got that. Sometimes as an applicant we feel the need to tell them about everything under the sun :) Good Luck to others who haven't interviewed yet. My one piece of advice is know your work exp inside out and know your goals inside out.. once they start talking about it, the conversation can go anywhere.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [24]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V32
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hi

Interview Debrief -
Firstly I want to thank ankurgupta. He was helpful and kind throughout my preparation for the interview. I couldn't have known what was coming my way without his help. Thanks a lot.

My interview was at 12:00 on the 12th Jan of 2014 in New Delhi. So here's how it went down -

I got up at 07:00 AM to revise a few points of preparation and was ready to leave by 10:40 AM. What !! I'm late already. Saket (ITC Sheraton) is about 17 kms from my place and the road is almost always jammed. So I was surprised when I covered the distance in 20 minutes and reached at exactly 11:00 AM ( I was lucky it was a Sunday - minimal jams ). I drove at maximum of around 100 kmph listening to 'gazals' by jagjit singh. :) :) .

Points to remember - Always be on time. It helps you reach the interview location in a calm state of mind.

I went up to the interview floor where I saw a group of nervous people all dressed to kill :) :). I sat down and calmed myself. Immediately after a guy came (hotel employee), took my signature and handed me a sheet that instructed me to write a 50-100 word essay on the word 'Authority'. So naturally, like everyone else, I took out my smartphone and switched on the wifi. No wifi signal in ITC Sheraton (or ISB may have instructed them to block the wifi for that floor, also for 'roaming' reasons my data plan was not working). Luckily, I had the 'Merriam-Webster' Dictionary app on my phone.

Points to remember - Have some source of information on you. It can be a data plan or an installed encyclopedia or anything else.

I jotted down my essay after some pre-thinking. It wasn't the best work I've done but still it was passable. At 11:50 a crisp suit-clad annihilator walked into the waiting room and announced my name for the interview. So essentially it started 10 minutes earlier. Again, it's helpful to note that always be on time.

I walked into the room behind the man who was going to decide my fate. Shook hands with the other person there (Strangely only two interviewers) and sat down.

First question - "Who is Kartik Datwani and what are his achievements?". I'd prepared for this and answered accordingly.

Second question - "Ok so you've shown increase of revenue by XXX INR/year, justify how you did this?" Again it was easy-peasy. Answered accordingly.

Third question - "Here's a puzzle. Solve it." What !!!! I didn't mention anywhere in my essays that I'm a quick thinker or fast problem solver. I was hoping for a guesstimate question as I want to go into consultancy. But how am I supposed to solve a puzzle. Ok, I told myself to calm down and approach the problem with logical thinking. Of course, 5 minutes later, I couldn't get the answer. I started on the right track but then was completely lost.

Fourth question - "Why do you want to do what you want to do?". Prepared answer. Received some opposition but I justified myself.

Fifth question - "How would your friends describe your personality?". Slided in some strengths. but they insisted that I describe my personality as seen by others and not as seen by myself. So I did.

Sixth question - "Your weaknesses?". Prepared. Answered. "So ok, any other weakness?" - Now what!! aren't they happy with one weakness. I answered with my backup weakness.

Seventh question - " What is the coal scam all about?" I'm from the thermal power sector so that's why they asked this.

Last question - "Do you want to ask us anything?". Did.

I thanked them for the interview, came outside and looked at the time. It was 12:45 PM. My interview lasted for approx. 55 minutes. I was exhausted and relaxed at the same time. Went outside the hotel, took my car and this time drove at not more than 50 kmph but listened to the same 'gazals'.

Takeaways -

They'll always oppose you on all your answers. So you really really really have to know your essays and story. I received an opposition on almost every answer but I tried my best to not leave my stand. I was told by a few alumni that the interview will be very chilled out. However, mine was the opposite, they were not smiling at anything and tried the least to make me comfortable. I tried to hold my nerves and not make any mistakes.

Always have backup strengths and weaknesses to say out loud. Support them with instances in your real life. Tell them about how you can overcome your weakness from the b-school education. Preferably, don't tell them about anything personal but something that can be remedied by education in b-school. If it's something personal, then probably 'Organizational Behavior' classes may help you overcome them at b-school. That's the way the answer should be framed.

Body language is important. Sit up straight and shoulders should be held high. Also, if you form a temple-top with your hands and fingers ( like this - _/\_ ) it sends out a message of confidence. Read this somewhere at sometime in college. I always follow this in interviews. Occasionally, smile. Get excited when they ask you about your goals.

Prepare a few questions to ask them about ISB. Don't ask questions that can be answered by looking up stuff on the website.

Lastly, don't ever lose your confidence. Confidence is key. You may stumble because you're nervous but try to make it a part of your dance.

All these things are easier said than done. The feeling I got after my interview was not so satisfying. So i'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

P.S. - Extremely sorry for the delay in the debrief.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management, Nonprofit
GPA: 3.81
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM