Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 01:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 670 Q49 V33
GPA: 3.6
WE: Brand Management (Retail)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 107

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2014, 07:08
ankurgupta03 wrote:
I mentioned the clubs to incorporate in the essays.
Profile evaluation is a big task and i do not think I am qualified enough to do one :D
BTW have my TOEFL tomorrow :)

How did it go? Wonder which school are you taking TOEFL for? :wink:

Cheers
Farhan

My Blog - Gladly Making an attempt today

INSEAD SEPT 2015 Intake Thread

2015 PROFILES W/ ADMIT/DINGS RESULTS!!

Ross Thread Master
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V28
GMAT 2: 660 Q48 V32
GMAT 3: 670 Q48 V34
GMAT 4: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Marketing (Manufacturing)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 59

Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2014, 08:53
llewellyn75 wrote:
So which cycle is better for ISB... R1 or R2?

So don't bother ... Apply when you are fully ready!

Llewellyn Desouza

Principal Consultant Hash

in.linkedin.com/pub/llewellyn-desouza/1/6a1/a52/

This should be the main takeaway for the majority of the applicants. I personally feel that CAs, Docs, PSU applicants (generally anyone who can add any form of diversity to the classroom) find it easier in either round :lol:

My GMAT Debrief | My ISB 2015 Interview

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admission Consultant

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 94

Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2014, 09:34
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
gmatbugsme84 wrote:
llewellyn75 wrote:

Llewellyn Desouza

This should be the main takeaway for the majority of the applicants. I personally feel that CAs, Docs, PSU applicants (generally anyone who can add any form of diversity to the classroom) find it easier in either round :lol:

No... A candidate with a PSU background hardly has any chance in R1 and a CA or Doctor will find it very difficult to get in in R2... Trust me on this one...

Llewellyn Desouza
​Principal Consultant Hash
​​

Ross Thread Master

Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2014, 09:53
llewellyn75 wrote:
gmatbugsme84 wrote:
llewellyn75 wrote:

Llewellyn Desouza

No... A candidate with a PSU background hardly has any chance in R1 and a CA or Doctor will find it very difficult to get in in R2... Trust me on this one...

Ok. Surely do trust you on this one.

Any advice for Non-IT engineers like me (Mech Engineer)? With the plethora of advice here and other avenues for IT Engineers, we are kind of ignored (Mechanical, Civil, Electrical etc.). What round would we fare better in? Or are we clubbed along with our IT counterparts?

Ross Thread Master

Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2014, 10:05
I am trying to think of where to talk about the clubs at ISB?

I am seriously considering being a part of the Marketing club (my passion is marketing. Seriously, I love tough negotiations with customers which involve a lot of back and forth!). And the consulting club (will help me decide whether I should actually go into consulting post ISB/ MBA).

Not to speak of the Toastmasters Club. I have been a member for 6 months now and am a hard-core fan of Toastmasters and it will be the one club I will join and very actively participate in (possibly serve in the executive committee also), even if I do not join any of the other clubs.

Problem is, I do not know where to put this in the essays. I kindof feel that putting this in Essay 4 will be risky as this involves asking the adcom to do additional work. But, then again, I am unable to find any other essay where these will fit. My career essay is already full.

I think I might use Toastmasters in Essay 5 (re-applicant essay). But not sure of where to put the other two (marketing and consulting clubs).

Views anyone?

BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2014, 10:19
gmatbugsme84 wrote:
I am trying to think of where to talk about the clubs at ISB?

I am seriously considering being a part of the Marketing club (my passion is marketing. Seriously, I love tough negotiations with customers which involve a lot of back and forth!). And the consulting club (will help me decide whether I should actually go into consulting post ISB/ MBA).

Not to speak of the Toastmasters Club. I have been a member for 6 months now and am a hard-core fan of Toastmasters and it will be the one club I will join and very actively participate in (possibly serve in the executive committee also), even if I do not join any of the other clubs.

Problem is, I do not know where to put this in the essays. I kindof feel that putting this in Essay 4 will be risky as this involves asking the adcom to do additional work. But, then again, I am unable to find any other essay where these will fit. My career essay is already full.

I think I might use Toastmasters in Essay 5 (re-applicant essay). But not sure of where to put the other two (marketing and consulting clubs).

Views anyone?

Incase its utmost crucial to highlight those points I believe you should go in for D) Contribution to peer learning and engagement with the ISB student body are important aspects of the ISB experience. What contribution do you expect to make in this direction during the one year at ISB. (200 words max)

In this essay you can highlight the need for joining the marketing/consultancy and toastmasters club. If you are looking at any other optional essay then you might wanna highlight that part in additional information. Optional essays, although tricky might help you explain something important about yourself that is not highlighted in the questions. ISB knows the essay questions might not be comprehensive enough to judge a candidate's potential hence, they give the optional essays.

Cheers
Farhan

Expert Post
Admission Consultant

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 94

Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2014, 10:27
Expert's post
Quote:
Any advice for Non-IT engineers like me (Mech Engineer)? With the plethora of advice here and other avenues for IT Engineers, we are kind of ignored (Mechanical, Civil, Electrical etc.). What round would we fare better in? Or are we clubbed along with our IT counterparts?

Would need to know a lot more about your Profile to be able to make a judgement on which round would be good for you...

Llewellyn Desouza
​​

Ross Thread Master

Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2014, 10:33
llewellyn75 wrote:

Quote:
Would need to know a lot more about your Profile to be able to make a judgement on which round would be good for you...

Re-applicant. B.E. (Mech) - avg. Indian Univ + M.S. (Aero Engg.) - quite good US Univ :lol: . 5+ years sales and marketing for engineering equipment. Two organisations (first organisation: Indian and second & present organisation: MNC).

Do you need more? I can PM you.

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Admission Consultant

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 94

Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2014, 10:45
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Quote:

Re-applicant. B.E. (Mech) - avg. Indian Univ + M.S. (Aero Engg.) - quite good US Univ :lol: . 5+ years sales and marketing for engineering equipment. Two organisations (first organisation: Indian and second & present organisation: MNC).

Do you need more? I can PM you.

R1 for sure...

Llewellyn Desouza
​​

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Beyond the Classroom: ISB’s Experiential Learning Programme [#permalink] New post 17 Aug 2014, 22:00
FROM ISB PGP Admissions Director Blog: Beyond the Classroom: ISB’s Experiential Learning Programme
We’ve all heard the expression, “Knowledge is power,” but the Indian School of Business (ISB) takes the concept one step further with its Experiential Learning Programme (ELP). ELP students don’t just acquire knowledge within a narrow and controlled classroom setting. Rather, they apply this knowledge to real world business challenges through hands-on practice. The result? An innovative culture which yields unparalleled insights into the global economy tested by firsthand experience.

Fostering Innovation

As participants in the ELP, ISB students integrate classroom concepts into industry experience. Anything but passive observers, ELP participants assume active consulting roles with real companies on relevant business issues. Assignments have included everything from creating marketing and pricing strategies for a branded sports solution provider to developing marketing and distribution methods geared toward accessing rural, off-grid consumers for a solar lighting business.

ELP teams are tasked with preparing consulting proposals, as well as responsible for researching, reporting and — ultimately — making recommendations to the client. Students are guided throughout the process by industry experts and faculty advisors. And while the campus-based arrangement is primarily remote, teams can undertake up to 15 days of fieldwork, ultimately committing up to 800 business hours and earning two credits in the process.

ELP Outcomes

In 2013 alone, students participated in more than 90 projects across diverse subjects ranging from government to technology to consumer products and many others. Not only do participants gain actionable exposure to these industries, but — after working with teammates from diverse cultures and backgrounds — they also walk away with a valuable perspective on the collaborative process.

Perhaps the biggest indicator of the program’s success is that many companies view the ELP as a natural component in their recruiting pipeline. After all, today’s businesses aren’t just looking for critical thinkers; they’re also looking for smart workers capable of solving complex 21st century business challenges. In fact, many students report that their ELP experience features heavily into their job hunt, with potential employers expressing great interest in the program.

During a time when opponents of business education have cited a disconnect between business school curricula and real world issues, the Indian School of Business offers a direct response to the criticism. In light of the evolving 21st century economy landscape, and with employers increasingly seeking employees with global perspectives, the ELP positions students to not merely manage, but lead.

ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 87

Kudos [?]: 391 [1] , given: 328

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2014, 02:43
This post received
KUDOS
farhanc85 wrote:
How did it go? Wonder which school are you taking TOEFL for? :wink:

Went fine .. rest the result will tell :P
Planning to apply to some US and UK schools
It's global this time around :-D

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief | ISB Preparation Kit
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview | General interview tips | How to tackle "Do you have anything to ask" question

BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 391 [0], given: 328

Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2014, 02:53
@gmatbugsme84
If you have not chosen any other option ,then I would also go with Farhaan about mentioning the clubs bit.
If you have chosen any other topic, in that case you can very well write in the optional information essay.
Try to incorporate it, as it will tell the ADCOM what are you going to bring to ISB.

Also what do you mean by additional work for adcom?

ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief | ISB Preparation Kit
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview | General interview tips | How to tackle "Do you have anything to ask" question

Ross Thread Master

Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2014, 03:49
ankurgupta03 wrote:
@gmatbugsme84
If you have not chosen any other option ,then I would also go with Farhaan about mentioning the clubs bit.
If you have chosen any other topic, in that case you can very well write in the optional information essay.
Try to incorporate it, as it will tell the ADCOM what are you going to bring to ISB.

I am planning to write about Toastmasters in my re-applicant essay. For essay 3, I have already written about the teamwork essay. I am not sure that if I write solely about clubs (even 3 clubs), I will be able to better my teamwork essay content-wise. Even if I do, I also lose a part of my re-applicant essay content to another essay. Hence, I am going to take a part of Farhan's advise and leave out the marketing and consulting club (if I can't fit them into essay 2/essay 1).

By additional work for the adcom, I mean if I write the optional essay and it doesn't come out that impressive (which I don't think it will, if I write about clubs), then I think it will hinder, rather than help my cause. Reading an "optional" essay which does not really impress the adcom, might give the impression that I used the prompt as a dumping ground and might cause me to lose points because of it.

What are your views? Do you think writing about marketing club and consulting club is a strong reason to attempt the optional essay?

AAAAHH :beat ... It all feels like a gamble anyway!!!!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 10

Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2014, 21:59
gmatbugsme84 wrote:
ankurgupta03 wrote:
@gmatbugsme84

I am planning to write about Toastmasters in my re-applicant essay. For essay 3, I have already written about the teamwork essay. I am not sure that if I write solely about clubs (even 3 clubs), I will be able to better my teamwork essay content-wise. Even if I do, I also lose a part of my re-applicant essay content to another essay. Hence, I am going to take a part of Farhan's advise and leave out the marketing and consulting club (if I can't fit them into essay 2/essay 1).

By additional work for the adcom, I mean if I write the optional essay and it doesn't come out that impressive (which I don't think it will, if I write about clubs), then I think it will hinder, rather than help my cause. Reading an "optional" essay which does not really impress the adcom, might give the impression that I used the prompt as a dumping ground and might cause me to lose points because of it.

What are your views? Do you think writing about marketing club and consulting club is a strong reason to attempt the optional essay?

AAAAHH :beat ... It all feels like a gamble anyway!!!!

I agree with your thoughts to an extent- when there is a question in the required essays already about your contribution to the ISB community, then why use a 5th optional essay to address that same point?

Namita Garg
http://www.mbadecoder.com
contact@mbadecoder.com

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 143

Kudos [?]: 904 [2] , given: 866

Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2014, 09:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Dear ISB Applicants,

We have a good news from ISB. Because of spontaneous response and meaningful discussion by our members during last session, ISB has decided to do another chat session for GMATClub members. Mr. Rupesh Bisht is coming to meet and chat with us on 1st September 2014, Monday, in our Chat Room.

Date and Time :- 8 AM Pacific Time (8.30 PM Indian Standard Time), 1st September 2014.

Add this event to your Google Calendar.

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

All MBA Resources All 'Sticky' Topics at one place

Please share your profiles for this application season: 2015 Profiles w/ Admit/Dings Results!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.

3 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 391 [3] , given: 328

Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2014, 19:25
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
ISB Preparation Kit

Hi All,

I was thinking about something of this sort for a long time. This is a collection of all the relevant posts on the previous years thread, the ISB blog and the essay analysis by various consultants.

After the essay writing is done, applicants can refer to this post for the interview preparation. This will have the best debriefs along with all the gyan that was shared in the last year's thread. I will make sure to update this post as and when I find something important.

Also, I will try and incorporate some of the relevant and important questions which Mr. Bisht answered.

I hope you all will be benefited from this collection.

Useful links from ISB blog

For all the topics, you can visit the ISB blog,
I have mentioned a few which i felt were important for an applicant.

Should you go to B School?

Faculty at ISB

Evaluations

How to showcase your awards and achievements

ISB Myth Busters?

Interview Preparation

ISB vs Studying abroad

Beyond the Classroom-ISB ELP

The benefits of Indian MBA

Essay Writing

Essay analysis by Gyan One

Essay analysis by MBA Decoder

How to get started with the essays

Interview Preparation

General Interview Tips

How to tacke do you have anything to ask question

Thinking to be done before interview

Oneword Essay before Interview

Best Debriefs

saicharantej

Kaustubh Joshi

KartikDatwani

gmatbugsme84

If someone has something more to add, he/she is most welcome. You can let me know what to add and I will add it to this post.

All the best and happy essay writing! :)

BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2014, 05:24
Pin drop silence ... What is happening people.
Got the TOEFL score 105. Any comments?

Ross Thread Master

Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2014, 08:04
ankurgupta03 wrote:

TOEFL seems good enough for all schools where you are applying.

Presently finished first draft of ISB essays and working on some other school essays.

BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2014, 08:25
ankurgupta03 wrote:

Its good that you have given TOEFL but most of the schools will consider your Transcript which states the medium of communication is English during class as an exemption(Atleast UK schools).

TOEFL requirements are crazy in some places. I am sure you would have gone through this but still toefl-score-requirements-for-most-popular-schools-80110.html

109 for Harvard and SAID is just too much. I scored a 108 and was mighty disheartened looking at SAID requirement but later found out, its not applicable for me :shock:

Cheers
Farhan

BSchool Forum Moderator

Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016 [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2014, 09:47
Thanks man ... Ya I did read it ...
Can we apply to Harvard also without TOEFL?
I know Oxford states that e can apply.

what about your GMAT? You retaking it?

Re: Calling all ISB Applicants - (2015 Intake) Class of 2016   [#permalink] 27 Aug 2014, 09:47