Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 16:44

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: HBS '15
GMAT Date: 09-21-2013
GPA: 3.51
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 19:56
Just curious, how's Rice MBA in terms of management consulting. I am currently working as a chemical engineering in the O&G industry with 4 yrs of experience in Houston. My company will pay 50-75% of my MBA tuition and I want to eventually work my way within management in my company and get into management consulting after a while. Will I be able to get a job in companies such as McKinsey & Co., Booz, BCG, Bain,etc.?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Foster '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GPA: 3.29
WE: Programming (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 8

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 20:29
crackHSW wrote:
Has any of the Indian applicant used some grade conversion services mentioned on the Rice Website

I did
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 29 Dec 2012, 17:38
hi all

greetings from China!
I have an urgent inquiry
right now I am appyling in R2
I read the instructions and did not think a WES evaluation for those who did not get an 4.0 scale GPA is compulsory
so I gave up WES
now many people who got admitted said they actually request a WES
and i feel worried
is it OK if I
1)send an official trans with school signature with english translation to AO
2)Upload a copy of official transcript in the system
3)in the online application column put a 4.0 scale GPA I myself calculated according to my undergraduate school's method

I am so worried
AO is now in the long vacation
anybody could help me?
Thank you!
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Jones '15 (M)
WE: Other (Other)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 08:11
Does anyone know if you can submit a new GMAT score after the R2 deadline. If so where/who do you send this to? I am considering taking the test again but don't know if it's just a waste of my time.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 10:49
swgator13 wrote:
Does anyone know if you can submit a new GMAT score after the R2 deadline. If so where/who do you send this to? I am considering taking the test again but don't know if it's just a waste of my time.

You can always submit your latest GMAT score , but unfortunately as far as I am aware, one's profile for that particular round would be looked with the score one applied.

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Current Student

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 12:58
crackHSW wrote:
swgator13 wrote:

You can always submit your latest GMAT score , but unfortunately as far as I am aware, one's profile for that particular round would be looked with the score one applied.

Thanks.

I reached out to admissions by phone and they told me the best course of action for me to take is to submit prior to R2 using my current GMAT score but make sure to state, in the "Additional Information" tab of the online application, that I plan on retaking the test on xx/xx/2013. This way the adcoms will hold my application to the side so they don't give it their final review until I send them my final score. Now obviously I can't take my sweet time here or they will bump my application to the next round but she said that as long as I can get them the info prior to the R2 decision date of 03/01 then I will be reviewed part of R2. I will probably set up the new test early enough for GMAC to send them the official scores on top of me reporting my unofficial score via email just in case and official score is required as part of the app.

This sounds unique to Rice and maybe a few other schools so I would not apply this same approach to other schools without confirming it with the school itself.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Finance

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 14:24
Aimhigh2012 wrote:
Has any Indian made it to Rice?
On the Indian forum no one has reported an admit.
Here also I do not see any Indian admit!! Anyone out there?

I have made it to Rice as well as McCombs. Although the general consensus is that McCombs is better than Rice, I have found Rice to have a much more professional approach in its dealings with prospective and admitted students. The fact that McCombs is a public school while Rice is private may have played a role but quite frankly, I am not impressed with McCombs so far.
Current Student

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 04 Jan 2013, 14:41
laidmn wrote:
Aimhigh2012 wrote:
Has any Indian made it to Rice?
On the Indian forum no one has reported an admit.
Here also I do not see any Indian admit!! Anyone out there?

I have made it to Rice as well as McCombs. Although the general consensus is that McCombs is better than Rice, I have found Rice to have a much more professional approach in its dealings with prospective and admitted students. The fact that McCombs is a public school while Rice is private may have played a role but quite frankly, I am not impressed with McCombs so far.

Congrats man!! I hope to have your same "problem" of having to decide between the two. I have a similar attitude as you. On paper I should go to McCombs but in my gut I 'm leaning Rice. Hopefull I'll be crossing this bridge in a few months from now.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2013, 16:33
chestud13 wrote:
Just curious, how's Rice MBA in terms of management consulting. I am currently working as a chemical engineering in the O&G industry with 4 yrs of experience in Houston. My company will pay 50-75% of my MBA tuition and I want to eventually work my way within management in my company and get into management consulting after a while. Will I be able to get a job in companies such as McKinsey & Co., Booz, BCG, Bain,etc.?

Congrats to all that have made it to Rice! You won't be disappointed with your career opportunities.

In regards to your question Rice is starting to place better with McKinsey. With networking you can easily get interviews with either Boston or Bain. Other consulting firms such as Deloitte, E&Y, Kalypso, Alverez and Marsel, and others regularly hire many Rice grads.

For those deciding between Rice and Texas, I would suggest going to the lower cost school. Not much difference between recruiting that I have seen. Rice is currently ranked lower but the reputation is rising fast for both IB and Consulting.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
GMAT 1: Q V0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2013, 09:53
To all the Indian applicants,

What did you guys do in regards to your undergrad transcripts? Did you have to use the WES website and then report a score on a 4 scale? I scanned and uploaded my markscard copy of all my semesters and left the GPA column blank and addressed it in the additional essay. Thoughts?
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
GMAT 1: Q V
GPA: 3.47
WE: Information Technology (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2013, 22:48
Did anyone get a R2 Interview call?
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 129 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2013, 01:47
Anyone heard from Jones for R2??

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT Date: 12-17-2012
GPA: 3.4
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2013, 23:07
I received an interview invite two days ago and have booked travel for a couple weeks from now.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.81
WE: Research (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 8

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2013, 23:12
HPmba2015 wrote:
I received an interview invite two days ago and have booked travel for a couple weeks from now.

same here...wrote back to inform that I am already done with the interview...yet to receive a response
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 08:08
Victorinox wrote:
HPmba2015 wrote:

same here...wrote back to inform that I am already done with the interview...yet to receive a response

Victorinox, I see you were accepted to Owen as well. Just curious, if you get an admit from Jones which school would you choose? If you don't mind me asking...
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 08:11
destroyerofgmat wrote:
Victorinox wrote:
HPmba2015 wrote:

Victorinox, I see you were accepted to Owen as well. Just curious, if you get an admit from Jones which school would you choose? If you don't mind me asking...

it all depends on the scholarship offered....
Current Student

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 13:45
I got an invite for interview. Super excited and nervous all at once. Everyone on here that already interviewed seems to say it is pretty laid back with an effaces on 'fit'. Does anyone have any other tips that might be useful for someone who has yet to interview with any school? Also, a second year student will be conducting the interview. What info do they have prior? Essays/test score/resume? Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Jones '15 (I)
GPA: 3.75

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2013, 12:29
swgator13 wrote:
I got an invite for interview. Super excited and nervous all at once. Everyone on here that already interviewed seems to say it is pretty laid back with an effaces on 'fit'. Does anyone have any other tips that might be useful for someone who has yet to interview with any school? Also, a second year student will be conducting the interview. What info do they have prior? Essays/test score/resume? Thanks.

I submitted for round 2 and received an invitation to interview on 1/4/13. I ended up interviewing less than a week later on 1/10/13, and the interview was blind with a 2nd year MBA student. My interviewer was also the president of the Rice University student body, which was pretty cool. The interviewer only has a copy of your resume, and if anything, they just take a cursory look at it and expect you to fill in the gaps. Hope that helps.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2013, 21:11
tpatel5801 wrote:
swgator13 wrote:

I submitted for round 2 and received an invitation to interview on 1/4/13. I ended up interviewing less than a week later on 1/10/13, and the interview was blind with a 2nd year MBA student. My interviewer was also the president of the Rice University student body, which was pretty cool. The interviewer only has a copy of your resume, and if anything, they just take a cursory look at it and expect you to fill in the gaps. Hope that helps.

I second tpatel5801, I was interviewed by the Associate Director of Admissions and from the resume she was trying to gauge the fit, but be clear on your future goals and how Rice would help you in achieving it. Moreover they will talk a little about Houston weather and how hot it is...and ask you if you like snow.
Current Student

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2013, 10:56
Thanks all. I appreciate it.
Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013   [#permalink] 27 Jan 2013, 10:56