Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 11:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
GMAT 1: Q V0
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 21 Feb 2013, 07:34
This post received
KUDOS
I agree with Vnshah. The thank you card really means nothing. I received a handwritten one and the interviewer talked about some specifics I had mentioned about Texas/Houston during my interview. It was a nice touch. I don't think the person who interviews you can solely make the admit decision. It depends on the number of candidates who applied, the quality of the application pool etc etc. Needless to say the anticipation is killing me.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2013, 08:57
This post received
KUDOS
UTDB wrote:
While I agree that it can hurt your chances, I was forthcoming with the other schools I was applying to (2 of which were higher ranked) and it seemingly didn't have a negative impact. I also made a very strong effort to show Rice how serious I was about their program. I visited campus for an information session (from out of town), I came back to campus while in Houston on business and grabbed coffee with a current 2nd year student, and I also met some of the adcom staff at a local MBA fair in my city.

All that to say, if you never showed your true interest in Rice it could hurt you but simply applying to other schools isn't the sole reason for the ding.

I completely agree with what your saying and I am in no way indicating that applying to other schools is a sole reason for a denial at Rice. Also note that none of my comments are directed toward your case. I am saying, however, that based on comments from the adcom and the perceived goal of the adcom to seek to determine if a candidate truly "gets" the Rice program or if a candidate just plans to go somewhere else, I can see how this can weigh negatively against you. Further, I do believe that there is a level of foresight into maintaining a reasonable matriculation rate.

Anyway, I enjoyed going to the information sessions, admissions 101, etc and the application process itself was a good learning process for me. Oh well.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2013, 15:31
This post received
KUDOS
withjune wrote:
Get dinged as well. It was a total nightmare cuz Rice was my first choice. I had a pretty good profile and my interview went really well. The only reason I can think of after reading the previous posts is that I have listed UT McCombs on my application. Actually I have already been admitted by UT and several other very good schools, but I'm definitely heading for Houston if only I received the admit from Rice. Unfortenately the result didn't go well, I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the apearance of the McCombs name on my application. I realized until now that Rice could be a little sensitive to McCombs. Anyway, it was truly heart-broken for me.

As mentioned before, there are a 1000 different ways to view an candidate's application and the other schools listed on your application is probably a very very small part.

My previous comments are merely pointing out the schools view and matriculation rates, and how this must force them to at least consider (somewhat) who they extend acceptance offers to.

By no means am I saying that the sole reason for rejection is because I or you have UT on there. It is, however, something to think about.

From what I gather, Rice evaluates candidates very differently from other schools. I would not take it personal, especially since you were accepted to other top programs.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [1] , given: 24

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2013, 19:07
This post received
KUDOS
littleflower wrote:
Thank you man:)

by the way are you JP?
I can speak good Japanese:)
seems you do not like to carry any debt
but my friends all want me to go for Rice
location is better than Vandy blabla
and of course it is mainly coz my boyfriend is now in Houston

kawasaki wrote:
Congratulations on all your options! Definitely good problem to have. Did you attend Diversity Preview of Rice by chance? The schools you applied to were the same ones a guy I met applied to. Anyways to your question...personally, I'll rather incur no debt than amass $50K or more in debt. Besides, in consulting there is no guarantee that you'll work in Houston, your client can be wherever. My advice - choose Owen, network like crazy during b school to get a consulting offer. You can always transfer from any office to the Houston office of the consulting firm.

Hey Flower...

Not Japanese by any measure, but sure does make for a good moniker :). Like others have rightfully said, your choice of b-school is yours to make. You should totally go where you really love to go without incurring too much debt :)

All the best!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
Schools: Jones '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.79
WE: Design (Human Resources)

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 14:43
This post received
KUDOS
business2013 wrote:
Cali25 wrote:
Interviewed...everything in my application seems strong except for my sub-standard GMAT score. Hopefully it will be enough to get that call from Melissa. Now it is time to bite my nails until 10 May.

Good luck Cali25 ! I've got my interview this week, any suggestions/tips ?

A couple of suggestions from my experience:

Be prepared to turn the bullets on your resumes into stories.
Have an example of a time that you succeeded and a time that you failed at your recent jobs.

Good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V43

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 14:48
This post received
KUDOS
business2013 wrote:
Cali25 wrote:
Interviewed...everything in my application seems strong except for my sub-standard GMAT score. Hopefully it will be enough to get that call from Melissa. Now it is time to bite my nails until 10 May.

Good luck Cali25 ! I've got my interview this week, any suggestions/tips ?

To be honest, I found the Rice interview to be the most relaxed and casual interview of all the schools I applied to. They of course asked the basic questions, but really seemed to focus on if you will be a fit for the school. Nothing tricky or unexpected in my interview. My interviewer was looking at my resume and asking basic questions about past experience, and didn't ask me about the rest of my application.

I visited Houston this past weekend to check out campus and attend the business plan competition, and I was really impressed by the campus, the staff, and the surrounding areas of Houston. Really looking forward to Fall.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
WE: Other (Other)

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 08 May 2013, 09:19
This post received
KUDOS
Cali25 wrote:
Calls started yesterday (7 May). I am in with a great scholarship! Good luck to everyone waiting for the call from Melissa.

Congratulations!!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V39

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 09 May 2013, 11:48
This post received
KUDOS
Congrats Cali !!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Jones '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V48
GPA: 3.94

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2012, 16:46
Please post if there is already a thread... I havn't been able to find it via a search
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 14:12
Hey how's it going? I am also applying R1 to Jones. BTW, that is one hell of a GMAT score. Nice work!!
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 14:23
Thanks destroyer. How is your application coming?
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 15:07
Pretty good! I'm in between my second and third drafts on all of my essays.
If you have any questions on the GMAT I'd be happy to try and help you out.
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 124 [0], given: 26

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 06:36
@texigan ; You have amazing stats , any specific reasons why you applying to Rice? you can get into any of the top 10 schools and leave a seat for poor souls like me :)

Please press KUDOS if you like my post

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2012, 12:55
crackHSW wrote:
@texigan ; You have amazing stats , any specific reasons why you applying to Rice? you can get into any of the top 10 schools and leave a seat for poor souls like me :)

hah thanks. Well I'm already a masters student at rice, and I have had the priveledge of taking one of the mba strategy classes - I really like the strong emphasis on teamwork that Rice and I think that the Jones School is an up and coming great.
Current Student

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2012, 22:22
texigan wrote:
Jones loves teamwork and group contribution. I would think that Jones wants its students to both be able to contribute effectively in a group and to be able to learn from others.

And I think I am going to submit my app this week... wish me luck

All the best with your apps , I m still in the first round of drafting my essays :(

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management
GRE 1: 333 Q168 V165
GPA: 3.4
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2012, 03:54
texigan wrote:
crackHSW wrote:

hah thanks. Well I'm already a masters student at rice, and I have had the priveledge of taking one of the mba strategy classes - I really like the strong emphasis on teamwork that Rice and I think that the Jones School is an up and coming great.

If it's not too indiscrete how old are you? Rice seems to favor older applicants compared to other schools in the same bracket (the student profiles presented on the website are quite experienced) and I believe the average work experience is 4.7yrs while I will only have 2.5yrs of work experience at matriculation (if I matriculate).

Also, considering you already took a class at Rice what can you say about the courses difficulty. I heard that some schools are really intense academically - which in itself is great - but to the point where it becomes tough to look for internships and get deeply involve in extra-curricular activities.

Being in Houston must be great for people interested for a career in the O&G industry but did not you feel that in Texas UT is and will be for a long time the reference business school? Plus Rice is the geekiest school for undergrad in the south by a long long shot, is it the same for business school students?
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 11

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2012, 09:23
texigan wrote:
Pretty good! I'm in between my second and third drafts on all of my essays.
If you have any questions on the GMAT I'd be happy to try and help you out.

Thanks, texigan, I appreciate that.
Current Student

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2012, 00:43
amitkpandey wrote:
I recently met Rice Jones Adcom and an alum at the World MBA tour in Bangalore. I've shared my experiences here. Hope this helps.

http://amitkpandeyece.blogspot.in/2012/ ... -2012.html

Thanks a lot amitkpandeyece , its insightful ..

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2012, 18:27
fitzmanon wrote:
Being in Houston must be great for people interested for a career in the O&G industry but did not you feel that in Texas UT is and will be for a long time the reference business school? Plus Rice is the geekiest school for undergrad in the south by a long long shot, is it the same for business school students?

Rice is one of the schools that pushes students academically very hard. The school prides itself in pushing students to the limit as far as balancing all the work.

Rice has really started to put a lot of money in improving the image and reputation of the business school. They recently hired a new career management center director who had been working for a top business school and supposedly has many connections to top PE, VC, and NY investment banks. It will be interesting to see if any of those connections translate into opportunities at Rice. As most people only recognize the school for being a regional (primarily Houston) school, the school is making an effort to expand the brand nationally. Whether or not the moves will help with the rankings is unknown.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 18 Oct 2012, 16:21
Does anyone know if R1 for Rice is binding (Early Decision)? I tried to look this information up online but had no luck. Thanks in advance!
Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013   [#permalink] 18 Oct 2012, 16:21