Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 28 Aug 2014, 21:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 17:24
Pick Vanderbilt, the school has 'Peter Veruki' who's based out of Houston. With him, Owen's placement in Houston may be even better than Rice's. And, the Commodore alumni association in Houston is third largest. Finally, I'd worry a lot Jones recent fluctuations in the rankings...

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/magazines/van ... gy-sector/

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/magazines/van ... ecognized/

HPmba2015 wrote:
littleflower wrote:
hi guys!

congs to all admitted

I need your any opinions pls
for international student who wants to work in Houston in consulting
dose it looks silly to go to Vandy with full scholarship instead of Rice with 50% scholarship?

and any ideas for the same one choosing among

Owen 100% Vs Rice 50% Vs Emory little $ Vs Darden no scholarship?

Thank you so much!

Hey, I am working through the same analysis right now (until I hear from Tepper...). I think that both programs are incredibly strong and you will be successful no matter where you go. I feel the main considerations you need to keep in mind are what are your career goals , geographic preference, fit and brand recognition. If you are dead set on living and working in Houston, then you may be better off going to Rice. Staying in the city will provide you good networking opportunities. Consider that ~91% of Rice graduates find employment in the south, whereas Vandy places 39% of its graduates in the South and the rest throughout the country. Rice places 40% of its graduates in Oil and Gas (I would assume that this value is more like 60% if you include other industries you may work for but within Oil and Gas - OG Consulting). Vandy places 26% of its grads into consulting (Rice 19%). As I look through their employment report, there is a lot of overlap with the consulting companies that pick up grads, but Vandy has a greater population of different consulting companies on its list. Vanderbilt has a very good human capital and finance programs. Rice has good finance and management consulting programs. Just what I gather from my own research.

If you plan to stay in Houston in the long term, the Rice name may benefit you as it has such profound recognition in the South. If you plan to live in different areas in the future, Vanderbilt may carry greater recognition throughout the country. Although both are incredible institutions, the feedback I have received is that outside of the South the Vanderbilt name may carry a heavier weight. True or not, I am not sure.

I was offered more from Rice than Vandy. I am trying not to allow finances make the decision for me because a few years down the road, the debt will be paid off. I feel you should go where you fell you will be the best fit. If you think you will enjoy the experience more at one school, then you should go there and not have any regrets about it. In all reality, if you are wanting to work in consulting in Houston but are swaying towards taking advantage of your scholarship offer, don't worry because you can find your way back to Houston. If you set out with those specific intentions, you will make it happen. I really enjoyed my visits to both Rice and Vandy, the facilities at Rice are incredibly nice!

Not sure if this helps... Just follow your heart. I have moved a lot for my job and my friends and partner have always been there for me so don't worry too much about that.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2013, 20:39
rrossjd wrote:
Pick Vanderbilt, the school has 'Peter Veruki' who's based out of Houston. With him, Owen's placement in Houston may be even better than Rice's. And, the Commodore alumni association in Houston is third largest. Finally, I'd worry a lot Jones recent fluctuations in the rankings...

That is one of the silliest comments I have seen on this board. No way that Vandy would outplace Rice in Houston. I have only met one IB associate in Houston from Vanderbilt. Even he said no one should choose Vandy over either Texas or Rice for working in O&G IB. All of the places listed in the attached article regularly hire Rice MBA, while that is not the case for Vandy. Quit trolling boards. By the way Vandy dropped just the same as Rice in the latest US News rankings.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Rice University (Jones) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 690 Q V0
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2013, 06:43
teshs84 wrote:
rrossjd wrote:

That is one of the silliest comments I have seen on this board. No way that Vandy would outplace Rice in Houston. I have only met one IB associate in Houston from Vanderbilt. Even he said no one should choose Vandy over either Texas or Rice for working in O&G IB. All of the places listed in the attached article regularly hire Rice MBA, while that is not the case for Vandy. Quit trolling boards. By the way Vandy dropped just the same as Rice in the latest US News rankings.

Amen! Definite troll... the articles made me laugh.

I know an O&G IB guy from SMU, and he'd say the same thing about the Texas/Rice placement verses other schools.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2013, 20:16
One of my favorite things at Rice is the Mob, you know the Marching Owl Band. Not many universities have that kind of tradition and school spirit where its okay to have a sense of humor. Sure, Jones is a professional school, but are yall really serious business all the time?
Current Student
Schools: Jones '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2013, 08:37
Hey guys, it has seemed dead in here the past few weeks. I guess the R3 notification deadline is coming up April 5 so that's when the activity will increase.

I have an interview set for this Friday. Looking through the thread and such, it seems like it is pretty standard interview with a fit emphasis since a second year student gives it. Anyone have any other tips they care to share about the interview or the whole Rice Jones admissions process?
Current Student
WE: Other (Other)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 05:31
histgirl wrote:
rrossjd wrote:
One of my favorite things at Rice is the Mob, you know the Marching Owl Band. Not many universities have that kind of tradition and school spirit where its okay to have a sense of humor. Sure, Jones is a professional school, but are yall really serious business all the time?

Sorry, I saw this a while back but didn't get around to answering. I guess this work-hard-play-hard lifestyle doesn't leave much time for posting on internet forums. :)

Anyway... The Rice MBA Social Life
(this is by no means comprehensive)

Well, starting out your cohort will be your 60 best friends and enemies. You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll have stories and inside jokes. Each cohort will gain its own reputation. Every so often, you see the “others,” but you’ll still be meeting people for the first time in January.

Full Timers have Lunch Colloquium, a catered lunch every Monday. It will feel like a treat, until it feels like a chore when you realize you are supposed to sit through dozens of announcements that are always emailed out anyway. MBAE and MBAPs have a version with either catered breakfasts or dinners (weekend or evening programs). Also, on Wednesday nights around 9pm or so after class, there is a semi-official MBAP group that meets for a late happy hour in Rice Village.

Between the student commons, the Rice coffee shop, the gym, various campus cafes, you will not be short on seeing your fellow classmates. Kind of like high school, only smaller. And that gets even tiny-er if you live in the grad apartments, for then it may be hard to entertain evening guests discretely.

Rice Village becomes the default spot for any off-campus socializing, especially considering the proximity to the graduate housing, so it's of utmost importance and duty of native Houstonians to introduce their fellow classmates to the REST of the City beyond Kirby and Main.

The 5k track around the campus is where you'll run into, often literally, your fellow classmates. But more inexplicably, I have yet to go to Torchi's Tacos once this year and NOT run into at least one Rice MBA. To be fair, they are damn good tacos.

Even with all this, fall semester will have a significant amount of WORK, so despite all this time with your classmates, a more relaxed environment is necessary...
Now I'm sure everyone who went through recruiting has heard of partio. What is less-advertised is the post-partio, often ending up in Rice Village, somewhere on Bissonent, and occasionally Washington. Sometimes post-partio is extended to Friday night or throughout the weekend. Also unadvertised is the pre-partio, which starts promptly after the last Thursday class at 3:45pm in a procession to one of the two on-campus bars (Willy's or Valhalla) depending on if people want to walk the extra 5 mins to save $1.50.

Don’t forget to go beyond McNair hall for there are other very interesting gems at Rice University if you look for it. The Baker Institute right next to McNair has Clintons, Bushes , and various Presidents coming in and out all the time. Rice undergrads are an interesting bunch, and maybe you'll find things you never even heard of, things you are kind of stunned even exist. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_of_Decadence).

TREKS! The treks (most are in the spring) are a good way to get to have fun with your fellow MBAs with a mix of FT and P, first and second years. International Trips are like more expensive treks, but are heavily skewed toward “fun” activities (from what I’ve heard). Also, DIVERSITY CONFERENCES!!! Trust me, the people who got their summer internships first, got them at a diversity conference. Not mention, a great way to network with people in different MBA programs. NBMBAA, NAAMBA, MBAWI, NSHMBA, ROMBA... all held early in the fall semester so NOW is not too early to be researching this. Also note, you do not *need* to be a member of a particular group to go to the conference, but you should be supportive of their cause and probably a member of the particular club. And don't be that person whining about the cost of travel, this is what you came to school for.

Also don’t be ‘that’ person who is too cheap to sign up for clubs (more than just the professional ones!)… Clubs often have members-only emails and events like happy hours and lunch-and-learns. Good way to connect across programs and class years as well.

More stuff to look forward to -
Halloween, End of semester Partios, International Partio, Gala (MBA prom), Follies, etc…

Thanks a ton, histgirl! I love hearing about the MBA, in particular the Rice Jones, experience. Very informative. Thank you.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.4

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 07:40
Best of luck to all the R3 applicants waiting to hear some good news this week!
Current Student

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 05:32
Hoping to hear some good news from Rice today!
Current Student

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 11:07
billb wrote:

Kinda feel like I am talking to myself here :) . But I just got the call that I am into the Full Time program with a very nice scholarship! Soooo pumped!!
Current Student

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 11:09
billb wrote:
billb wrote:

Kinda feel like I am talking to myself here :) . But I just got the call that I am into the Full Time program with a very nice scholarship! Soooo pumped!!

That's awesome!! Congrats! I'll see you at our first partio if you accept the offer.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 11:13
billb wrote:
billb wrote:

Congrats!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Jones '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V48
GPA: 3.94
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 11:47
Congrats! Like someone above me said, hopefully I will see you on April 18th :).

billb wrote:
billb wrote:

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 11:50
texigan wrote:
Congrats! Like someone above me said, hopefully I will see you on April 18th :).

Thanks! I live in Austin, so might not make it to that Partio but I will be going down there a few times before school starts to get everything arranged.
Current Student

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 12:52
billb wrote:
texigan wrote:

Thanks! I live in Austin, so might not make it to that Partio but I will be going down there a few times before school starts to get everything arranged.

Billb,

I'm in Austin as well. Just sent you a PM.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V43

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 08:44
billb wrote:
billb wrote:

Congrats on the admit! I'm in the Austin area as well and unfortunately I doubt I'll be able to make it out there on the 18th. Hoping to make a visit to campus in the near future.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 10:53
See You on 18th, lads )
Intern
Intern
Schools: Jones '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V36
GPA: 3.78
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 13:24
Interviewed...everything in my application seems strong except for my sub-standard GMAT score. Hopefully it will be enough to get that call from Melissa. Now it is time to bite my nails until 10 May.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V39

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 14:14
Cali25 wrote:
Interviewed...everything in my application seems strong except for my sub-standard GMAT score. Hopefully it will be enough to get that call from Melissa. Now it is time to bite my nails until 10 May.

Good luck Cali25 ! I've got my interview this week, any suggestions/tips ?
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V39

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 15:08
Thank you everybody for your invaluable input...
Current Student

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 05:42
business2013 wrote:
Cali25 wrote:

Good luck Cali25 ! I've got my interview this week, any suggestions/tips ?

One more thing to add to the posts above. Have something off your resume to talk about. You will invariably be asked, "Well, is there anything else you would like to add?" I realized at that point my volunteer elementary teaching gig wasn't on my resume but instead only talked about in my essays. So I spoke of that among other things.

The interviewer will not have read your essays so if there are things in those that you would like to highlight and they are not on your resume then by all means bring them up or the interviewer won't know about them.

Good luck. Mine was very laid back comfortable btw.
Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013   [#permalink] 17 Apr 2013, 05:42