Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 01:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Jones '15 (M)
WE: Other (Other)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 27 Mar 2013, 05:31
histgirl wrote:
rrossjd wrote:
One of my favorite things at Rice is the Mob, you know the Marching Owl Band. Not many universities have that kind of tradition and school spirit where its okay to have a sense of humor. Sure, Jones is a professional school, but are yall really serious business all the time?

Sorry, I saw this a while back but didn't get around to answering. I guess this work-hard-play-hard lifestyle doesn't leave much time for posting on internet forums. :)

Anyway... The Rice MBA Social Life
(this is by no means comprehensive)

Well, starting out your cohort will be your 60 best friends and enemies. You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll have stories and inside jokes. Each cohort will gain its own reputation. Every so often, you see the “others,” but you’ll still be meeting people for the first time in January.

Full Timers have Lunch Colloquium, a catered lunch every Monday. It will feel like a treat, until it feels like a chore when you realize you are supposed to sit through dozens of announcements that are always emailed out anyway. MBAE and MBAPs have a version with either catered breakfasts or dinners (weekend or evening programs). Also, on Wednesday nights around 9pm or so after class, there is a semi-official MBAP group that meets for a late happy hour in Rice Village.

Between the student commons, the Rice coffee shop, the gym, various campus cafes, you will not be short on seeing your fellow classmates. Kind of like high school, only smaller. And that gets even tiny-er if you live in the grad apartments, for then it may be hard to entertain evening guests discretely.

Rice Village becomes the default spot for any off-campus socializing, especially considering the proximity to the graduate housing, so it's of utmost importance and duty of native Houstonians to introduce their fellow classmates to the REST of the City beyond Kirby and Main.

The 5k track around the campus is where you'll run into, often literally, your fellow classmates. But more inexplicably, I have yet to go to Torchi's Tacos once this year and NOT run into at least one Rice MBA. To be fair, they are damn good tacos.

Even with all this, fall semester will have a significant amount of WORK, so despite all this time with your classmates, a more relaxed environment is necessary...
Now I'm sure everyone who went through recruiting has heard of partio. What is less-advertised is the post-partio, often ending up in Rice Village, somewhere on Bissonent, and occasionally Washington. Sometimes post-partio is extended to Friday night or throughout the weekend. Also unadvertised is the pre-partio, which starts promptly after the last Thursday class at 3:45pm in a procession to one of the two on-campus bars (Willy's or Valhalla) depending on if people want to walk the extra 5 mins to save $1.50.

Don’t forget to go beyond McNair hall for there are other very interesting gems at Rice University if you look for it. The Baker Institute right next to McNair has Clintons, Bushes , and various Presidents coming in and out all the time. Rice undergrads are an interesting bunch, and maybe you'll find things you never even heard of, things you are kind of stunned even exist. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_of_Decadence).

TREKS! The treks (most are in the spring) are a good way to get to have fun with your fellow MBAs with a mix of FT and P, first and second years. International Trips are like more expensive treks, but are heavily skewed toward “fun” activities (from what I’ve heard). Also, DIVERSITY CONFERENCES!!! Trust me, the people who got their summer internships first, got them at a diversity conference. Not mention, a great way to network with people in different MBA programs. NBMBAA, NAAMBA, MBAWI, NSHMBA, ROMBA... all held early in the fall semester so NOW is not too early to be researching this. Also note, you do not *need* to be a member of a particular group to go to the conference, but you should be supportive of their cause and probably a member of the particular club. And don't be that person whining about the cost of travel, this is what you came to school for.

Also don’t be ‘that’ person who is too cheap to sign up for clubs (more than just the professional ones!)… Clubs often have members-only emails and events like happy hours and lunch-and-learns. Good way to connect across programs and class years as well.

More stuff to look forward to -
Halloween, End of semester Partios, International Partio, Gala (MBA prom), Follies, etc…

Thanks a ton, histgirl! I love hearing about the MBA, in particular the Rice Jones, experience. Very informative. Thank you.
Current Student
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.4

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2013, 07:40
Best of luck to all the R3 applicants waiting to hear some good news this week!
Current Student
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 05:32
Hoping to hear some good news from Rice today!
Current Student

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 11:07
billb wrote:

Kinda feel like I am talking to myself here :) . But I just got the call that I am into the Full Time program with a very nice scholarship! Soooo pumped!!
Current Student

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 11:09
billb wrote:
billb wrote:

Kinda feel like I am talking to myself here :) . But I just got the call that I am into the Full Time program with a very nice scholarship! Soooo pumped!!

That's awesome!! Congrats! I'll see you at our first partio if you accept the offer.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 11:13
billb wrote:
billb wrote:

Congrats!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: Jones '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V48
GPA: 3.94
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 11:47
Congrats! Like someone above me said, hopefully I will see you on April 18th :).

billb wrote:
billb wrote:

Posted from my mobile device Image
Current Student

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 11:50
texigan wrote:
Congrats! Like someone above me said, hopefully I will see you on April 18th :).

Thanks! I live in Austin, so might not make it to that Partio but I will be going down there a few times before school starts to get everything arranged.
Current Student

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2013, 12:52
billb wrote:
texigan wrote:

Thanks! I live in Austin, so might not make it to that Partio but I will be going down there a few times before school starts to get everything arranged.

Billb,

I'm in Austin as well. Just sent you a PM.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V43

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 08:44
billb wrote:
billb wrote:

Congrats on the admit! I'm in the Austin area as well and unfortunately I doubt I'll be able to make it out there on the 18th. Hoping to make a visit to campus in the near future.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2013, 10:53
See You on 18th, lads )
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V36
GPA: 3.78
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 13:24
Interviewed...everything in my application seems strong except for my sub-standard GMAT score. Hopefully it will be enough to get that call from Melissa. Now it is time to bite my nails until 10 May.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V39

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 14:14
Cali25 wrote:
Interviewed...everything in my application seems strong except for my sub-standard GMAT score. Hopefully it will be enough to get that call from Melissa. Now it is time to bite my nails until 10 May.

Good luck Cali25 ! I've got my interview this week, any suggestions/tips ?
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [2] , given: 4

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 14:30
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks, Business. A few basic tips, though you have probably found most of these on-line:

1. Arrive early!! Traffic is horrible in Houston, so if you are from out of town, get a hotel near the school. If you are going to show up late, call them.
2. Dress to impress - shave/groom, get a haircut (and use gel if you need it), and wear a suit and tie.
3. Prepare for the most common questions (e.g. why an MBA, why now, why Rice) and a few tough questions as well (you can find a bunch on-line).
4. Prepare for your interview out loud, practicing as if you were actually speaking with an interviewer.
5. Relax and be yourself - don't be too cocky, but arrive, speak, and walk out with confidence.

Good luck. I wish you the best.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.79
WE: Design (Human Resources)

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 14:43
This post received
KUDOS
business2013 wrote:
Cali25 wrote:

A couple of suggestions from my experience:

Be prepared to turn the bullets on your resumes into stories.
Have an example of a time that you succeeded and a time that you failed at your recent jobs.

Good luck!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V43

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 14:48
This post received
KUDOS
business2013 wrote:
Cali25 wrote:

To be honest, I found the Rice interview to be the most relaxed and casual interview of all the schools I applied to. They of course asked the basic questions, but really seemed to focus on if you will be a fit for the school. Nothing tricky or unexpected in my interview. My interviewer was looking at my resume and asking basic questions about past experience, and didn't ask me about the rest of my application.

I visited Houston this past weekend to check out campus and attend the business plan competition, and I was really impressed by the campus, the staff, and the surrounding areas of Houston. Really looking forward to Fall.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2013, 15:08
Thank you everybody for your invaluable input...
Current Student

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 05:42
business2013 wrote:
Cali25 wrote:

One more thing to add to the posts above. Have something off your resume to talk about. You will invariably be asked, "Well, is there anything else you would like to add?" I realized at that point my volunteer elementary teaching gig wasn't on my resume but instead only talked about in my essays. So I spoke of that among other things.

The interviewer will not have read your essays so if there are things in those that you would like to highlight and they are not on your resume then by all means bring them up or the interviewer won't know about them.

Good luck. Mine was very laid back comfortable btw.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2013, 10:57
business2013 wrote:
Cali25 wrote:

How did the interview go? I hope our feedback was helpful.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2013, 19:24
Cali25 wrote:
business2013 wrote:
Cali25 wrote:

How did the interview go? I hope our feedback was helpful.

The interview went well, the 2nd year MBA student who took my interview was very nice. She asked a few questions about my background and future goals etc. Pretty straightforward. All the information you all provided was directly instrumental, thank you again.
Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013   [#permalink] 21 Apr 2013, 19:24