Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 03:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

CAT Tests
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 ! [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2014, 04:06
Applying for round 1
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 690 Q42 V42
GMAT 2: 720 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.26

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 ! [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2014, 17:46
In for R1! Excited to see how this video component plays out. Any word on application release date?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 ! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2014, 13:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Packed Info Session in São Paulo

We were thrilled to see a packed house for our info session in São Paulo this week! Learn more about future info sessions on our website.

Follow us on Instagram.

Filed under: Admissions Tagged: admissions, Info Sessions Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 ! [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2014, 06:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Student Perspective: Welcome to Kellogg’s MMM Program

Northwestern University’s dual-degree MMM Program equips future business leaders to drive the entire innovation life cycle of a product or service. In just two years, students can gain a rigorous management education at Kellogg and build a solid foundation in design innovation and technology at the McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science, one of the country’s leading engineering schools.

Current student Shriansh Shrivastava ’16 talks about his experience as a MMM since beginning his program in June.

>search: define ‘free time’

>query response: unrecognized concept, please try again

As a 2016 MMM candidate, this is my first quarter at Kellogg and things are quite new. Kellogg’s MMM program is the two-year MBA program with a super-cool design innovation add-on.

What this means is that along with the MBA core curriculum, MMMs also have some pretty nifty design innovation stuff to work with – courses have the little exciting tweaks that make them design-focused and we get to use the engineering facilities and shop floor in the Ford Center at Northwestern.

Along with exciting courses, we have group assignments and projects. (Side note: you know Kellogg’s rep for having a ‘team-based’ environment? 100 percent true, and then some! I think that at this point I’ve worked more in teams than individually.) Basically, MMM academics in the summer term = awesome courses, facilities to explore and tons of group work.

And then there are the socials – there have been more ‘know your classmates’ events than I can remember. Every other day the MMM gang meets up after hours – sports, dinners, chilling at someone’s house or hitting the local watering hole. The social reps do a good job of finding niche and fun activities (karaoke!) for everyone to get involved with.

And then there are quizzes, homework and class prep to wade through. What this all results in is astonishingly scarce free time. Between classes, team meetings, socials, activities and (maybe) sleep, there’s hardly any ‘null’ time left!

So if you’re reading this and are planning to attend business school, here’s my advice: cherish your free time. Adore it. Take it to dinner. Because once you’re at Kellogg, you’ll be having too much fun and learning too much to notice that this old friend of yours is going the way of the dinosaurs.

Shriansh Shrivastava ’16 (@Shriansh) grew up in India, spent 10 years in the UK (undergrad + an awesome job working with unreleased cellphones +  then worked on a mental health suicide prevention project – using smartphones, of course), and finally spent a year in Canada working for an ATM software company (Learning a lot! At this stage, I can pretty much dismantle any ATM).

Filed under: Student Life Tagged: MMM, Student Life Image
ForumBlogs - GMAT Club’s latest feature blends timely Blog entries with forum discussions. Now GMAT Club Forums incorporate all relevant information from Student, Admissions blogs, Twitter, and other sources in one place. You no longer have to check and follow dozens of blogs, just subscribe to the relevant topics and forums on GMAT club or follow the posters and you will get email notifications when something new is posted. Add your blog to the list! and be featured to over 300,000 unique monthly visitors

This post has been originally posted on the Admissions Blog and re-posted here for convenience.

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 ! [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2014, 06:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Info Session in Rio de Janeiro

Another great info session last week in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil! Learn more about future info sessions on the Kellogg website and on our Facebook page.

Follow us on Instagram.

2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.2
WE: Other (Retail Banking)

Kudos [?]: 15 [2] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 ! [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2014, 22:22
This post received
KUDOS
Hello guys! Early this year, when I was applying to Kellogg, I received a lot of help from people in this forum, so I would like to give something back. If you have any doubts or questions feel free to send me a private message and I'll try to help you.

Good luck with your applications!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.62
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 ! [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2014, 06:51
Anyone have advice/insight on what the difference in applying to R1 and R2 would be? I have read previously the main difference in the rounds is that R1 and 2 are better for getting grants/scholarships. Any other advantage/disadvantage to the different rounds?

Thanks!!
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 ! [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2014, 08:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: One-Year and MMM Preview Day

Welcome to campus! Attendees of our One-Year and MMM Preview Day gather for a group photo by Lake Michigan during their tour.

Learn about other upcoming on-campus events.

Follow us on Instagram.

Filed under: Admissions Tagged: admissions, MMM, One-year, preview day Image

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 ! [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2014, 06:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Info Sessions in Houston and Austin, Texas

Thank you to all who attended our info sessions in Houston and Austin, Texas! Learn more about future info sessions on the Kellogg website and on our Facebook page.

Follow us on Instagram.

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 ! [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2014, 12:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: New York Info Session

We had another packed house at our New York info session! Learn where our admissions team is headed next on the Kellogg website and on our Facebook page.

Follow us on Instagram.

Filed under: Admissions Tagged: admissions, Info Session, New York Image

BSchool Forum Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 134

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 ! [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2014, 12:09
When is this application going to go live?!?!?!?!? Dang

Latest Blog Posts (Updated August 27)*
- What MBA Blogs does an MBA Blogger read?
- Introducing TheEngineerMBA

Check it out at http://grantmeadmission.com/

-------------------
Check out my GMAT guide: "How I got a 710 on my first try"
57 essay analyses available here: http://grantmeadmission.com/essay-analysis/

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 ! [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2014, 14:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: What the Avengers have to do with accounting
So it’s my seventh week at Kellogg (or is it eight? It’s difficult to keep track sometimes!). Finals are around the corner, projects are due soon and the sun’s out. All in all, it’s a weird but great combination.

I thought I’d share with you my unique academic experiences so far here at Kellogg. Let me introduce you to three:

Accounting: Our mild mannered and funny professor takes us through the intricacies of Revaluation of Acquisitions using the example of Disney buying Marvel. While explaining why the fair value of goodwill in this case is $2.3 billion, Spiderman comes up. Instead of just saying, in a boring drone “…and Marvel’s intellectual property is the reason…” our professor brings up Spiderman, Captain America and Iron Man.

He quizzes us on when Spiderman actually came into creation (answer: 1962) to drive home the financial value of our web crawling friend even 50 years after conception. Of course he doesn’t miss out on mentioning the Avengers (which is a mix and match of Marvel IPs). This example’s not a one-off; today we spoke about the Grand Theft Auto (Take Two) and Madden football (EA) video games and how they differ in the accounting world.

Marketing: “Of course the Marketing is awesome. It’s Kellogg,” you might say. Well, you’d be right. But it’s a lot of fun in Professor Maoz’s class. I’ve sure any marketing professor worth his/her salt will bring up examples of Apple and other current brands, so I’m not going to bring that up. What I’m going to mention are little snippets of marketing research we’re given a glance at that lead to some amazing, unexpected learning, such as:

• How people buy eggs, and what it says about their buying habits
  • How cream cheese should actually be afraid of cereal, not other cream cheeses
  • And why telling a child off for dancing on the table rarely works (and what that says about customers, competitors and collaborators)
Decision Analytics is by far (for me) the most exciting course of this quarter. No problem we work through is fake (If I had a bag of red and blue balls, and I took out three red…. You know, those ones).

The problems we work on are real life questions you may not have ever thought about, but would love to know the answers for:

• Does having a resident program in a hospital increase mortality?
  • Why are older houses in Hawaii costlier than the newer, more modern properties?
  • If my grandma wanted to invest in shares, how would I know which combination would give her the lowest risk?
  • And of course, why Guinness is so incredibly important in the world of statistics.
There’s a lot more than the three above that I could talk about, but I’ll stop here. I am, however, going to close with this: If you’ve ever wanted to find out whether Inspector Jacques Clouseau (of the Pink Panther fame) is justified in worrying about a piano falling on his head from the sky, my decision analytics class might just be the place for you.

Shriansh Shrivastava ’16 (@Shriansh) grew up in India, spent 10 years in the UK (undergrad + an awesome job working with unreleased cellphones +  then worked on a mental health suicide prevention project – using smartphones, of course), and finally spent a year in Canada working for an ATM software company (Learning a lot! At this stage, I can pretty much dismantle any ATM).

Filed under: Academics, Student Life Tagged: academics, Accounting, marketing Image

Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.25
WE: Operations (Military & Defense)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 68

Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 ! [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2014, 13:39
GrantMeAdmission wrote:

That's what I've been thinking. It's still not live, correct? I keep going to their homepage and think I'm missing something..
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V48
GPA: 3.4

Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 ! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2014, 07:05
usmabama wrote:
GrantMeAdmission wrote:

That's what I've been thinking. It's still not live, correct? I keep going to their homepage and think I'm missing something..

I think the application is live now guys! The page doesnt show the 'application coming in summer' msg anymore!!
Consortium Thread Master
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Sales (Other)

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 12

Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 ! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2014, 08:07
It's live!! I'm already working on it!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V48
GPA: 3.4

Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 ! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2014, 08:27
bml1105 wrote:
It's live!! I'm already working on it!

You are right! I just started mine *nervous excitement*
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 ! [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2014, 06:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Tips for Applying to Kellogg (Part 2)
At Kellogg we recognize that applying to business school is a time and labor-intensive process that requires a lot of care and consideration, as well as hours of test prep, interviewing and essay writing. We get lots of questions about how applicants can make their application stand out, so this week we are offering a few suggestions on how you can help us best understand who you are and why you want Kellogg to become a part of your future.

Read tips on test scores.

Today’s topic: Essays

The essays are your opportunity to talk directly to the admissions committee and tell your story. Since this is about you and your experiences, there’s no right or wrong answer. The essays provide color about who you are and the important things in your background. We want to know what you’ll be adding to our Kellogg community, and contributing in our Kellogg classroom, so it’s really important to be yourself. Don’t worry about trying to say what you think we want to hear.

It’s also important to answer the question that’s been asked, in a way that lets us know you’re writing with Kellogg in mind, rather than say recycling a generic essay you’re submitting multiple places. Some applicants have a second reader look over their essay and guess what the prompt was to be sure their answer is as focused and relevant as possible.

Apply now!

For more information about Kellogg’s applications components, visit our website.

Beth Tidmarsh ’03 is the director of admissions for full-time MBA programs at the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University. As a vice president at Jones Lang LaSalle, she led and executed tenant representation and corporate solutions work for companies such as Xerox, KPMG and Huron Consulting Group.  Prior to attending Kellogg, Beth spent six years in consulting for Accenture based out of Chicago and Sydney.

Filed under: Admissions Tagged: admissions, application, essays, full-time mba Image

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 ! [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2014, 06:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Tips for Applying to Kellogg (Part 3)
At Kellogg we recognize that applying to business school is a time and labor-intensive process that requires a lot of care and consideration, as well as hours of test prep, interviewing and essay writing. We get lots of questions about how applicants can make their application stand out, so this week we are offering a few suggestions on how you can help us best understand who you are and why you want Kellogg to become a part of your future.

Today’s topic: Letters of recommendation

Previous topics: Test scoresessays

Many applicants wonder who is most suited and desirable to approach for a recommendation. I know that was a tough decision when I applied. The admissions committee is most interested in someone who knows you and your work experience, regardless of title or prior connection to Kellogg. A supervisor who understands your daily contributions may be more illuminating for us than a CEO who is less familiar with your work.

It’s a good idea to help your recommender understand why you’re interested in Kellogg and how you want your Kellogg MBA to further your career goals. It’s important to try and talk with your recommenders about these points, but it’s even more important to allow them to provide their own opinions and write the recommendation themselves.

We know some applicants aren’t able to approach a current supervisor for a recommendation. Previous supervisors, clients, or project managers may be good alternatives. If you don’t choose a current supervisor, just let us know why (it would affect my bonus, I would be asked to leave, etc.) — we understand that indicating you’re planning to leave the work force can have consequences in different industries. Most applicants who don’t have a current supervisor write their recommendation provide an explanation in the Additional Information section of the application.

Apply now!

For more information about Kellogg’s applications components, visit our website.

Beth Tidmarsh ’03 is the director of admissions for full-time MBA programs at the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University. As a vice president at Jones Lang LaSalle, she led and executed tenant representation and corporate solutions work for companies such as Xerox, KPMG and Huron Consulting Group.  Prior to attending Kellogg, Beth spent six years in consulting for Accenture based out of Chicago and Sydney.

Filed under: Admissions Tagged: admissions, application, full-time mba, letters of recommendation Image

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 ! [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2014, 12:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Taipei Info Session

Thanks to all the prospective students who showed up for our info session in Taipei. Keep following the Kellogg Admissions team on Instagram with #KelloggOnTheRoad.

Learn about upcoming info sessions near you.

Filed under: Admissions Tagged: admissions, Info Session, taipei Image

Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 ! [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2014, 06:00
FROM Kellogg MBA Blog: Tips for Applying to Kellogg (Part 4)

Today’s topic: Video essays

Additional topics: Test scores, essays and letters of recommendation

Don’t stress too much about the video essay. It’s meant to be personal and authentic. If you’ve ever used Skype or Facetime, this should feel familiar and easy. We also added a lot of information about the video essays to our website, so that’s a great place to read more to ease your mind.

The video essay is about lifting you up off the pages of your written application and giving you a chance to showcase your Kellogg interest, personality and communication skills in a way that written essays and test scores can’t.

For more information about our video essays, take a look at this recent Poets & Quants story with Director of Admissions Kate Smith.

Apply now!

Filed under: Admissions Tagged: admissions, application, full-time mba, video essays Image

Re: Calling all Kellogg Applicants (2015 Intake) Class of 2017 !   [#permalink] 25 Aug 2014, 06:00