Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 22:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua Class of 2011
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 11:08
This post received
KUDOS
I feel for you guys, I mean that has to be about 10 times worse than a straight up ding.

I feel your pain though, I just got dinged from Texas, which with my scores I was thinking as something of a safety. Although thats my first ding I have a crazy fear that I'm going to get dinged 6 of 6.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 18:25
This post received
KUDOS
sbs wrote:
If its reject for all does anyone plan on writing a email to the adcom at Kellogg and asking for some form
of action taken against Beth. I mean for this emotion torture that she has caused(may be an honest mistake)
she should resign.

Let me know what you guys feel.

Look, I empathize with what you must be going through... I dread getting a ding from Kellogg.

I have made a lot of changes in my life, including months away from my wife, and relocation to a new city without a job, in order to make attending Kellogg next Fall possible. Getting this conflicted message from the adcom is an absolutely shitty thing. It sucks. It must be terribly difficult. Clearly, there was an error or an oversight somewhere, and it should not have happened.

But.... do you really think that someone deserves to lose their job over it?

"Emotional torture?"

Really?

There are worse things that can happen to you in life. Especially at this time of the year, thank your lucky stars that you have your health. Learn from this experience. Figure out what was lacking in your application. Address those things if you can, and if at all possible, reapply next year with a new perspective on the experience and what is has meant to you.

This is all coming from someone who hasn't heard anything yet. With each passing day, I expect that I will not get in. I've put myself out on a limb to get into Kellogg, because I really deep down believe the experience will not only make me a better business professional, but a better person as well. But you know what? If I don't get in, I will keep going, and I won't blame anyone else for the result.

Take a look at your motivation for applying, and what drove you to say that someone deserves to lose their livelihood for this mistake. Take care of yourself first, then look outside.

Well, just my two (or ten thousand) cents, anyway.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [1] , given: 15

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 18:43
This post received
KUDOS
I agree that, while this screw up was a major disaster as far as admissions goes, the swift and personalized reaction to it by Kellogg's adcoms is admirable and deserving of forgiveness.

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 116 [1] , given: 16

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 18:46
This post received
KUDOS
In everyone's defense, they're still hours away from finding out what happened, so I'm sure their judgement is somewhat clouded. I'm sure cooler heads will prevail after a few days.

It didn't happen to me, but I'm pretty sure if it had, I wouldn't have looked at the website, I'd have told everyone under the sun I got in, then I would've had to shamefully admit it was all a mistake. After that I'd probably want to get in my car, drive down to Kellogg and have a sit in in the admissions office until they caved and let me in.

I don't think anyone should be fired over it or that any decisions should be changed, but I wouldn't probably be very forgiving of them. What choice did they have but to treat it like they did? It's already a PR problem, what were they going to do - have some admissions assistant call and say just kidding?

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Harvard (No Interview), Cornell (Accepted), Duke (Accepted), Northwestern (Dinged)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 54 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 19:04
This post received
KUDOS
Let me say, I am not a victim of what happened. I have yet to hear either way.

But if possible, I do empathize with the people it happened to. Consider the tremendous amount of time and reflection we each put into our applications, not to mention the money spent in travelling to Chicago and interviewing there.

Then the application is handled as poorly as I could possibly imagine.

I don't think if it was a mistake anyone should lose their job. And if its true Beth called everyone, I think that shows tremendous professionalism.

Its not my decision obviously. But I would reimburse all those individuals their application fee this happened to, along with detailed feedback on why they were not offered.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 19:08
This post received
KUDOS
sbs wrote:
For Leverandon

For all we know, it was some mistake by a kid in IT pressing the wrong button.
--- Who gave you this information?

But.... do you really think that someone deserves to lose their job over it?

[b]If your working on a trading desk and instead of hitting a buy button for 100K MSFT stocks at a lower price you land up hitting 100K sell button for a lower price
I have seen people being let go for that.....

I don't mean to be a jerk, but you are making the assumption that mistakenly sending you an acceptance email is as important or valuable to Kellogg as losing a couple thousand bucks on a bid/ask spread is to a brokerage firm.. People make mistakes, and when those people retain power through their position, they do not owe you anything even if you feel wronged by their errors.

Shit happens man. I think you are better served by self reflection than anger right now, but do what you have to do to feel better, I guess. I still think you should take advantage of the unique opportunity for feedback and then try again next year. You sure will have a compelling Kellogg story then, at least.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 19:11
This post received
KUDOS
riverripper - Nothing personal but I am happy that you are not working for a hard ass team in wall street. Its not the best
place for you. I guess it has always been a hire and fire policy for me and may be I am just used to it. But this is a major blunder....honestly none of the bosses I have worked for on the street would have let this go....
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 19:13
This post received
KUDOS
I think it is best that we all move on from this.

As painful as it was for everyone involved, and as much sympathy as we all have for everyone it happened to, it won't help anyone to debate whether or not person X should be fired.

Honest mistakes happen, and while this is a horrible, egregious error, rehashing the details here won't solve anything.

I think we should let this lie, and concentrate on supporting each other as we wait for decisions or work on other apps.

Edit - SBS, lose the personal attacks, GMAT Club isn't about that.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 19:14
This post received
KUDOS
I agree they don't owe me anything and shit flows downhill...but I can write to the dean and let him know what I feel....
U can't just neglect this as IT fault or some one from IT fcked up...
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 20:03
This post received
KUDOS
I need to reserve some of my frustration for the adcom when/if they call...else would have
love to reply to Manbehindthecurtain....
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg School of Management

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 10

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2008, 22:13
This post received
KUDOS
riverripper wrote:
Internationals in timezones very different than central time will often get emails. Usually those emails specify they didnt call you because of the time change (I believe Gil got one of those). However, if you are in the US you will get calls. Unknown status 95% of the time means ding but occasionally someone does get in after that (no change in that).

River is correct. I got an e-mail. It was abviously personal and not machine generated.

The E-mail is titled "Congratulations from Kellogg".
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2008, 03:17
This post received
KUDOS
I feel pretty bad for you guys who were a part of this unfortunate incident, but like the above few hundred comments have mentioned, shit happens. Just make sure you don't send out any emails or post any comments that you might regret later for any reason whatsoever. I've written my share of such emails at work, and while they might get you some temporary gratification or release, they often don't do much otherwise other than harm your own credibility.

That being said, to all those who are dinged, its probably time to move on. Fight the battles that need to be fought, and believe me, getting riled up about this is not going to get anyone an admit. And I earn a right to be grandfatherly about this through my extensive experience applying to US business schools and getting dinged time and again :)
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 134 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2008, 01:14
This post received
KUDOS
I asked the very same question to Steel and river yesterday on chat/PM, it seems that big time scholarship (those named after somebody) are usually assigned at admit decision time and the applicant knows when he is called to share the admit decision (see for instance the terry12/Austin case of last year). So we are probably out of luck for them.

However, many smaller scholarship are assigned later on (think at DAK time) and packaged with loans. Most of the admitted students get some money and it seems like no one has ever had any difficulty in securing the loans they needed.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Dec 2008, 17:43
This post received
KUDOS
Sorry, I didn't read it.. Just thought something that just came out... Didn't mean to do any of what you said.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg Darden, HBS, Stanford, Yale, Duke, Notre Dame

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Dec 2008, 14:25
This post received
KUDOS
Manbehindthecurtain wrote:
Bah nevermind I was able to sign on with my laptop. Turns out internet access is free at PHL. Still no update.

in all seriousness, if you do get stranded at an airport without free wifi, you might be able to use the internet connection on your blackberry through your laptop. most blackberries can be configured as modems ... hook it up to the laptop via bluetooth (or USB) and as long as you have the phone configured correctly, it should work fine.

try getting this to work. at the very least, it'll take your mind off your 'status' for a bit :)
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [1] , given: 5

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2008, 07:42
This post received
KUDOS
Well good luck all...I will be away for the holidays and most likely without internet. Hopefully some of you get a nice Christmas present from Kellogg (even if you dont celebrate the holiday).

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 338 [1] , given: 14

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2008, 11:07
This post received
KUDOS
bscracker wrote:
2: Describe how your background, values, academics, activities and/or leadership skills will enhance the experience of other Kellogg students

Can accepted applicants, current students or fellow applicants share some thoughts on how they answered this question? My goals have roots in my background and so I talk about my background in my goals essay to make a connection with my future goals. So, I am finding it a bit difficult to split the details between this essay and the goals essay. And I talk about my leadership experiences in Essay 3. So how do I answer this question without repeating myself ? Also if any past applicant can share their essay's/ approach I would be greatful.

River, Any thoughts ?

P.S: How can I get access to the essay vault ?

This was a hard one for me too last year, but I talked about how my experience in an unconventional industry (defense), parts of my background, and some of my EC passions could bring diversity to the student body. This gave me a little more space in the goals essay to talk about other aspects of my work experience.

Essay vaults are only open to people with 400+ posts and a good amount of kudos. Praetorian has an announcement at the front of the B-school app page that details his policies.

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2008, 15:38
This post received
KUDOS
Oh God...it seems that the admissions office may be close until 2nd Jan...some other universities' admissions' offices ARE closed. Like Wharton...I hope that's not the case with Kellogg!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2008, 16:42
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks a lot kryzak.

NJMike4MBA,

Your reply hit the bullseye :-D .. Now I have an idea how to approach the essay.
Thanks a lot

NJMike4MBA wrote:
bscracker wrote:
2: Describe how your background, values, academics, activities and/or leadership skills will enhance the experience of other Kellogg students

Can accepted applicants, current students or fellow applicants share some thoughts on how they answered this question? My goals have roots in my background and so I talk about my background in my goals essay to make a connection with my future goals. So, I am finding it a bit difficult to split the details between this essay and the goals essay. And I talk about my leadership experiences in Essay 3. So how do I answer this question without repeating myself ? Also if any past applicant can share their essay's/ approach I would be greatful.

River, Any thoughts ?

P.S: How can I get access to the essay vault ?

This essay is a great opportunity to show how you plan to be actively involved in Kellogg's student-led culture - IMO an important part of "fit". I would stay away from talking about career goals or focusing too much on specific accomplishments in it. I used the essay to talk about my involvement in various educational-related activities inside and outside work (mentoring, Junior Achievement, professional society's scholarship committee, etc.) and how I would plan to continue to follow my passion for supporting education and learning through involvement in mentoring clubs, admissions, etc.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [1] , given: 17

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2008, 15:39
This post received
KUDOS
peaceyall wrote:
great discussion on question 2. i'm hoping we can have a similar one with #3 - Describe your key leadership experiences and evaluate what leadership areas you hope to develop through your MBA experience.

how did you approach #1 (career progress and why mba) versus #3? did you stay away from talking about leadership as part of the career progress, or was it brief mentions but elaborated on #3? or maybe they don't overlap at all? i've just started on kellogg, so all 3 questions seem to overlap. if anyone has guidance on how to think about them differently, that would be awesome.

thanks!

The way I differentiated #1 and #3: For the "assess your career progress" part of #1, I focused on why I've chosen the jobs I've had, what I've learned from those positions and how the skills and knowledge I developed will help me in my future career plans. For #3 I focused specifically on a leadership example, why I think I was successful as a leader in that example, and what I learned about myself as a leader. Then I talked about how Kellogg would help me to develop further as a leader, mentioning specific classes/programs I thought would be most beneficial.

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants!   [#permalink] 21 Dec 2008, 15:39