Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 23:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 178 [1] , given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 15:19
This post received
KUDOS
MBAngst wrote:
Does anyone know if any admit calls were made after Christmas last year? Can we really expect calls to be made up until Jan. 7?

I'm trying to stay optimistic, but can't help but think that the best I can hope for at this point is the WL if I haven't heard anything yet ...

If you look at last year's thread, some people found out they were accepted on the last day as well as the day before.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 17:08
This post received
KUDOS
ac8706 wrote:
MBAngst wrote:
Does anyone know if any admit calls were made after Christmas last year? Can we really expect calls to be made up until Jan. 7?

I'm trying to stay optimistic, but can't help but think that the best I can hope for at this point is the WL if I haven't heard anything yet ...

If you look at last year's thread, some people found out they were accepted on the last day as well as the day before.

Calls are constant all the way to the end.... in fact, one of my friends at Kellogg got his admit call at 5:55pm on the decision day last year.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 70 [1] , given: 34

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 20:21
This post received
KUDOS
gpulluri wrote:
Guys,

How big are your kellogg essays ?
I think a 2 page limit, double spaced is too less.. I cant fit in more than 600 words.
My goals essay is however close to 1000 words ..
I managed to cut it down to 850 .. but still its 3 pages double spaced.
Please advice

700ish at the moment. 11-point font, double spaced, and 1" margins on both sides, top, and bottom. I'm sure you can squeeze in a few more words if you keep decreasing the side margins.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011

Kudos [?]: 38 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 22:30
This post received
KUDOS
gpulluri wrote:
Guys,

I think a 2 page limit, double spaced is too less.. I cant fit in more than 600 words.
Please advice

All replies get a +1 :-D

I had used 10pt Arial, double spacing and 0.75" margins. I think I fit in about 850 words or so.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg School of Management
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Dec 2008, 23:15
This post received
KUDOS
Essays 1-3 - 700 to 770 words
Essays 4-5 - 370 words.
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [1] , given: 17

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2008, 02:45
This post received
KUDOS
Essays 1-3: 600-650 words
Essay 4: ~400 words

12 pt. Times New Roman. I wouldn't overdo it on the small font and margins. Past a certain point (probably about 10-11 pt. depending on font and 0.75" margins it starts to look obvious what you're trying to do.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
WE 1: Social Gaming
Followers: 65

Kudos [?]: 336 [1] , given: 14

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2008, 03:10
This post received
KUDOS
gpulluri wrote:
Guys,

Please advice

2 pages, 1.9 spacing, condensed 0.2 character spacing, Arial 10 pt font, 1" top, 0.5" left/right, 0.7" bottom margins => 1061 words

GMAT Club Knowledge Vault:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/123
Haas Ambassador
http://gmatclub.com/forum/128-t62555
Kryzak's Profile:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/111-t56286
Member Essays:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/103-t50969

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg '11 (MMM)
WE 1: Engineer at a Food & Beverage Company
WE 2: Engineer at an Automotive Supplier
WE 3: Consultant at a Management Consulting Firm

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2008, 05:20
This post received
KUDOS
gpulluri wrote:
Guys,

Please advice

My long essays came out to ~800 words and the short ones were ~400. I wouldn't over-do it with margins. If you find yourself playing that game too much, you should really start to question how valuable your content actually is.

"You can only be young once. But you can always be immature."

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg Darden, HBS, Stanford, Yale, Duke, Notre Dame
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2008, 06:29
This post received
KUDOS
gpulluri wrote:
Guys,

Please advice

If you use garamond 11 point font with 1" margins all around you can fit in 800-850 words. Also only leave 6pt whitespace between each paragraph.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 694 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2008, 06:51
This post received
KUDOS
arial narrow is your friend...I learned that in B-school when you have to write a 1 page paper for a question you easily could fill a book with.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 69 [1] , given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2008, 06:54
This post received
KUDOS
1" top margin, .5" side and bottom margins, 11 pt. Times New Roman, double-spaced = 975 words for my goals essay (includes the restated question)

I'm sure you could fit more words with different fonts, but I wanted to stick with Times New Roman.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg MMM, Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 37 [1] , given: 5

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2009, 22:26
This post received
KUDOS
Even though I added my name to this list a few days ago, I just submitted my applications with 45 minutes to spare, and I’m an emotional wreck.

I didn’t manage to send my essays out to a couple of friends until late Sunday night, and the feedback from the most honest of the bunch was brutal - essays 2 and 4C sucked, and the rest weren’t much better. I knew he was right. My answers were simply rote recitations of my qualifications and experiences, most of which I repeated multiple times.

I had to work all day Monday, and the question of what to do weighed on my mind. I didn’t even get a chance to start again until 1:00 a.m. (I’m on the other side of the world), and by that time, I was so exhausted I could barely focus on the computer screen. I had nothing except for the brutal truth of who I was and what was in my heart.

You hear it at every event and chat - “Be yourself, be honest, don’t write what you think we want to hear,” etc. I thought I had followed that advice. But as I sat on my couch, on the verge of going 0 for 3 for the first round, I had no choice but to write from the heart. The result was nothing but honest monkbent.

I don’t know if I’ll get into Kellogg, but there’s no question this set of essays is by far my best. I woke to an email from my father saying my new essay two was ‘electric,’and while he is obviously biased, there’s no question it conveys my experiences and what I have to offer in a far better fashion than the crap I shoveled up the first time. Inspired by his comments I tore up essay four and wrote about my most personal struggle and life lesson. It’s a lesson very much related to my struggles yesterday, and as I reviewed what I had written I was nearly moved to tears.

I’ve heard a lot of talk about the special environment at Kellogg, as well as discussion about how Kellogg’s essays were different. I realize now that both are interconnected, and the searing experience of the last 12 hours has done more to sell me on Kellogg than any brochure ever could. Kellogg’s application helped show me what makes me tick, and for that I’ll be grateful whether I am admitted or not (and to be clear, there are things that attract me to all of the schools I have applied to).

I guess this is an example of how things work out for the best. Kellogg was my original first choice - if I were crafting the ideal program, it would look exactly like MMM. However, I got completely off track (for example - I’m definitely NOT a Chicago guy), and Kellogg got pushed to the second round. I’m glad it did, though, because this entire application experience has been so vital for me that something submitted in Round 1 wouldn’t have had nearly the degree of honesty and emotional resonance my application now has. I just wish I could redo my other apps...

Anyhow, sorry for the long post, and good luck to everyone who made it in for Round 2.

http://bent.tw

Last edited by monkbent on 12 Jan 2009, 23:28, edited 2 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg School of Management

Kudos [?]: 29 [1] , given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 13 Jan 2009, 02:47
This post received
KUDOS
monkbent wrote:
Even though I added my name to this list a few days ago, I just submitted my applications with 45 minutes to spare, and I’m an emotional wreck.

I didn’t manage to send my essays out to a couple of friends until late Sunday night, and the feedback from the most honest of the bunch was brutal - essays 2 and 4C sucked, and the rest weren’t much better. I knew he was right. My answers were simply rote recitations of my qualifications and experiences, most of which I repeated multiple times.

I had to work all day Monday, and the question of what to do weighed on my mind. I didn’t even get a chance to start again until 1:00 a.m. (I’m on the other side of the world), and by that time, I was so exhausted I could barely focus on the computer screen. I had nothing except for the brutal truth of who I was and what was in my heart.

You hear it at every event and chat - “Be yourself, be honest, don’t write what you think we want to hear,” etc. I thought I had followed that advice. But as I sat on my couch, on the verge of going 0 for 3 for the first round, I had no choice but to write from the heart. The result was nothing but honest monkbent.

I don’t know if I’ll get into Kellogg, but there’s no question this set of essays is by far my best. I woke to an email from my father saying my new essay two was ‘electric,’and while he is obviously biased, there’s no question it conveys my experiences and what I have to offer in a far better fashion than the crap I shoveled up the first time. Inspired by his comments I tore up essay four and wrote about my most personal struggle and life lesson. It’s a lesson very much related to my struggles yesterday, and as I reviewed what I had written I was nearly moved to tears.

I’ve heard a lot of talk about the special environment at Kellogg, as well as discussion about how Kellogg’s essays were different. I realize now that both are interconnected, and the searing experience of the last 12 hours has done more to sell me on Kellogg than any brochure ever could. Kellogg’s application helped show me what makes me tick, and for that I’ll be grateful whether I am admitted or not (and to be clear, there are things that attract me to all of the schools I have applied to).

I guess this is an example of how things work out for the best. Kellogg was my original first choice - if I were crafting the ideal program, it would look exactly like MMM. However, I got completely off track (for example - I’m definitely NOT a Chicago guy), and Kellogg got pushed to the second round. I’m glad it did, though, because this entire application experience has been so vital for me that something submitted in Round 1 wouldn’t have had nearly the degree of honesty and emotional resonance my application now has. I just wish I could redo my other apps...

Anyhow, sorry for the long post, and good luck to everyone who made it in for Round 2.

This may cheer you up.

I felt exactly the same way about my essays. They told my personal stories and showed them who I was. Poured my guts into it. People who read the applications told me they were written extremely well and were fascinating, but they did not answer the questions in full. They were not what they thought Kellogg expected. There was no namedropping, no "I want to be a part of KWEST" and no other standard stuff that appears in many essays. I was just me telling them who I truly was and why I would fit in at Kellogg.

When I went back to read the essays a short while after filing them in, I was emotionally shocked - I couldn't believe I had revealed so much personal information to total strangers. I couldn't believe I let handed in essays that strayed from the standard that my advisors guided me through - and also exposed some weaknesses I wasn't sure I should have mentioned.

My interview was originally waived. I was later invited to interview by phone. Got admitted on the 15th of December. In retrospect, I am sure that it was the personal side of my essays that earned me that admit - as on paper there are many better candidates.

I've got a feeling you have a good shot my friend.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 694 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2009, 15:13
This post received
KUDOS
Kellogg published their full report for 2008...best career report you will find anywhere.

http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/career_employer/employment/2008/Kellogg_Employment_Report_2008.pdf

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 40 [1] , given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Feb 2009, 07:35
This post received
KUDOS
The Bethesda comparison is a dead on ringer (I've lived in the DC area all my life to this point). Evanston is even about the same distance from the Loop as Bethesda is to Dupont Circle (about 10 miles).

As for 45 minutes on the El - the comparison runs there too. The Red line into DC takes forever.

I've enjoyed Evanston so far - and have enjoyed getting into Chicago a decent amount. This week alone, I'm headed into Chicago 4 out of 7 nights.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2009, 04:47
This post received
KUDOS
Hey guys, I'm in!!! Got the call yesterday after work. How do I get added to the first page of this thread?
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Emory, Kellogg (Mat.)

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Feb 2009, 08:50
This post received
KUDOS
Not sure who updates the first page stats, but I was accepted off the waitlist earlier this week. Headed to Evanston!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2009, 10:33
This post received
KUDOS
Been watching these forums quietly now, but I just wanted to share that I got my acceptance call yesterday!
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [1] , given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Mar 2009, 07:11
This post received
KUDOS
A number of people are reporting waitlists for Kellogg on BW, which seems out of character based on Kellogg's R1 practice. Strange.

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg, Duke, Ross, Chicago Booth

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 09 Mar 2009, 12:26
This post received
KUDOS
So I've spent the whole day today stressing about Duke's results only to get a call from Kellogg instead....

I'M IN....HOLY $#%^ ......

Sorry!! pardon my french but I'm ecstatic and over the moon....

I need to calm down and start breathing again
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants!   [#permalink] 09 Mar 2009, 12:26