Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 06:37

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg, Sloan, LBS, NYU Stern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2009, 17:10
highhopes wrote:
pranav

I don't think you need to specifically reference any of your essays in essay #3. If it makes sense, then do it, if it doesn't, then let essay #4 stand on its own. I haven't written my essay #4 yet, but I've already drafted essay #3 and I won't mention essay #4 in it.

I think deepauk gives good advice. They're basically asking you, if I were a student, why would I want to spend the next two years with you?

I think this essay is the perfect example of people thinking about what they should be writing instead of just of writing what they want to tell the adcom. Believe me, I did the same thing.

Hi highopes,
My sincere apologies for the delayed acknowledgment of your response. I agree with your interpretation of essay 3. I think that is why I want to make this essay about non-professional experiences. But since new information cannot be introduced here, I am stuck as to how I can bring this in to sell myself without breaking the rules.
Thanks for the helpful response.

Pranav
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2009, 19:12
Pranav,
Let me throw out a caveat first - I'm no expert. That said...

Yes something that has so far only featured as a line in your resume can be used. But here is what is important - you need to believe that highlighting it will make you look more favorable. If you are writing the 'People would be surprised' essay then it might be prudent to minimize overlap between essays. If it is something that will help you fit in better at Kellogg then you can always explain it in Essay 4. I think it may be better to minimize the overlap because it wouldn't be as surprising anymore if you had already elaborated on it elsewhere.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg, Wharton, Booth, Columbia, MIT, NYU

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 12

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2009, 20:29
pranavc wrote:
highhopes wrote:
pranav

But since new information cannot be introduced here, I am stuck as to how I can bring this in to sell myself without breaking the rules.

Pranav

I don't quite understand this! Why can't we introduce new information about us in this essay?
Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2009, 23:47
Agh, is Kellogg the last school to have their app go live? I'm using the non-availability of the application as an excuse to not start on their essays.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2009, 23:56
gregarious wrote:
Agh, is Kellogg the last school to have their app go live? I'm using the non-availability of the application as an excuse to not start on their essays.

i check the web page twice every day, once after i get up in the morning, and once after i get back home from work in the evening, hoping to see a link saying "2010 application"

but nothing...

we will wait. we will survive.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford, Haas, Ross, Kellogg, Yale

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 01:57
Applying R1
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 10:44
called the admissions office, application goes live end of this week
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 49 [0], given: 21

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 10:57
I suppose everyone is antsy about the online application going live because they want to go ahead and fill it out to give them a [false] sense of progress on their total application ... at least that's how it is for me ...
Current Student
Schools: Ross Class of 2012
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 20

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 11:16
mba12tech wrote:
I suppose everyone is antsy about the online application going live because they want to go ahead and fill it out to give them a [false] sense of progress on their total application ... at least that's how it is for me ...

Actually I want to be able to send my recommenders the form (heard the Kellogg one can take a while) and I want to be able to schedule my interview in a date that works well for me...but the false sense of security doesn't hurt either!
Current Student
Affiliations: CPA, CFA
Schools: Darden Class of 2012
WE 1: Big 4 Accounting

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 12:24
cozmo8 wrote:
pranavc wrote:
highhopes wrote:
pranav

But since new information cannot be introduced here, I am stuck as to how I can bring this in to sell myself without breaking the rules.

Pranav

I don't quite understand this! Why can't we introduce new information about us in this essay?

I also don't understand this. I plan to introduce new information in the third essay. The instructions are as follows:

Assume you are evaluating your application from the perspective of a student member of the Kellogg Admissions Committee. Why should your peers select you to become a member of the MBA community? (600 word limit)

I think everyone is reading too far into the first sentence.
Current Student
Schools: Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 22

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 13:35
To be honest, I interpret Kellogg essay #3 to be extremely similar to Tuck's essay #4

4. Tuck seeks candidates of various backgrounds who can bring new perspectives to our community. How will your unique personal history, values, and/or life experiences contribute to the culture at Tuck?

It seems like the same material would work itself into either one of these.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Haas, Kellogg, Anderson, Marshall for 2010 matriculation

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 13:53
Man I'm ready to jump on their app system. Hope it does come out by end of the week.

In the meantime, I've got a question. Whats an appropriate length for the resume that you upload? Should I stick to the standard rule of 1 page?
Current Student
Schools: Berkeley-Haas MBA
WE 1: Investment Management (fund of funds)
WE 2: Private Equity ($2bn generalist fund)

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 7

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 13:55
I was a little confused myself, and this was the source of my confusion:

http://blog.accepted.com/acceptedcom_bl ... -tips.html
"In general you want each essay to reveal something new about your experience. How can you do so with this question, which by its very nature requires you to use the information found in other parts of your application? Include at least one or two elements that you either discussed in your interview or intend to discuss in your interview. Or go into more depth about something mentioned in an application box or your resume, but clearly this essay is not going to provide a lot of new information."

IMO (for what its worth), I think its ok to bring up new information with the viewpoint that it will be discussed in your interview (hence the student adcom will know about it even though its not in your other essays).
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg '11 (MMM)

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 14:12
eminent wrote:
To be honest, I interpret Kellogg essay #3 to be extremely similar to Tuck's essay #4

4. Tuck seeks candidates of various backgrounds who can bring new perspectives to our community. How will your unique personal history, values, and/or life experiences contribute to the culture at Tuck?

It seems like the same material would work itself into either one of these.

....which is pretty much the same as one of the questions from the Kellogg application last year. Essentially, what are you bringing that is unique and will add to the overall experience of your classmates.

Personally, I really don't think it matters if you are adding new information or not, though my personal opinion is that you would be silly not to try and highlight something new in this essay. You only get so many chances to sell your story, why on earth would you want to spend one of those rehashing something you already went into detail about in another essay? . The only reason they talk about the admissions committee at all is to make the point of...."what about you is something that would cause a current student to say 'wow that's cool, I'd like to meet and get to know this person' "

For what its worth, I wrote about playing division one lacrosse for four years in college and how that experience of team over self, etc would allow me to be a team player in groups and stuff. Pretty cheesy I know, but apparently it was good enough. The only other place that playing sports in college came up in my application was one little blurb in my CV.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 702 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 14:16
stopper5 wrote:
I was a little confused myself, and this was the source of my confusion:

http://blog.accepted.com/acceptedcom_bl ... -tips.html
"In general you want each essay to reveal something new about your experience. How can you do so with this question, which by its very nature requires you to use the information found in other parts of your application? Include at least one or two elements that you either discussed in your interview or intend to discuss in your interview. Or go into more depth about something mentioned in an application box or your resume, but clearly this essay is not going to provide a lot of new information."

IMO (for what its worth), I think its ok to bring up new information with the viewpoint that it will be discussed in your interview (hence the student adcom will know about it even though its not in your other essays).

Well the rest of the quote basically says what you are saying. But personally I would suggest not using anything outside the rest of your essays. As a student adcom I would say personally the biggest requirement for me would be...would I want to be this persons classmate. Would I be able to work in a group with them, would the provide a different way of looking at things. How would they improve fellow students experiences. I would look at what your strengths are and what Kellogg is known for.

Frame it from the perspective of I think tihs person would be a valuable addition to any of my group assignments because they bring these things to the table that are either unique or much stronger than other individuals. Another thing you will want to do is make your essays interesting and then basically say how you feel that person will fit into the outgoing culture and shows the traits that are what make kellogg the place it is.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [1] , given: 22

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 14:57
This post received
KUDOS
http://www.precisionessay.com/blog/?p=74

This is pretty good and blunt, RE: Essay #3
Director
Director
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 116 [0], given: 16

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 17:57
eminent wrote:

That was a good assessment...and now as I reflect on my essay I realize I'll need to add Kellogg essay #3 to the list of things to revise this weekend...and the list keeps getting longer.

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Current Student

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2009, 18:11
highhopes wrote:
eminent wrote:

That was a good assessment...and now as I reflect on my essay I realize I'll need to add Kellogg essay #3 to the list of things to revise this weekend...and the list keeps getting longer.

I just re-wrote mine using the advice from that posting. I can honestly say that by relaxing and enjoying this essay more, like the posting suggests, I came away with a MUCH stronger essay. At first I looked to this essay as being somewhat drab and basically a simple review of my entire application. I just re-wrote it and allowed more personality to come through. The structure is MUCH less formalized now and the diction and sentence flow is now much more conversational. I would truly heed the advice given. Good luck highhopes, but I don't think you'll need it. As long as you follow this advice the paper should actually be pretty smooth to put together and really come together pretty quickly.
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 15:50
Alright time to start my kellogg application! anyone fill out part I yet? I should probably start soon.

Current Student

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2009, 15:53
GoBruins wrote:
Alright time to start my kellogg application! anyone fill out part I yet? I should probably start soon.

Application's not out yet...apparently by the end of this week. I'd get started on the essays though if I were you.
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants!   [#permalink] 26 Aug 2009, 15:53