Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Schools: Kellogg '10
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2009, 08:59
Let me know if any potential 1Ys (one-year program) have questions specific to that program.

http://www.fantasticcontraption.com

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Kellogg School of Management
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2009, 21:31
unhedged wrote:
Did anyone use the "c) I wish the admissions committee had asked me…… " question to address a GPA? I am on the fence of explaining my GPA, and would err to the side of doing so but I think the "b) People may be surprised to learn that I…. " question can add more to my application.

I used it to have my wife write an essay explaining why they should take me. I agree with the advice you got - use the extra essay for GPA/GMAT issues.
Manager
Manager
Schools: R1: Stanford, Booth, Stern; R2: Columbia, Anderson, McCombs, Marshall
WE 1: 4 years, corporate event planning
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2009, 10:35
Hi all, please count me in for R1.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Cornell 2011
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Jul 2009, 08:50
Do you guys know where I can find the recommendation letter questions? The online application isn't available yet... :(
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 21

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 10:20
Is anyone here considering the MMM program? I'm on the fence, since it seems like it could definitely work for me, but I'm unsure how relevant everything is to the software industry. Everything that I've read has been a bit too generic, but I get the feel that the program may be too slanted towards other industries to be worth it for me. Any insider info?
Current Student
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 13:58
Christinee, You're thinking to hard just do it! If anything kellogg is probably the best first application because it'll cover a lot of the questions for the other apps.

mba12tech, I've thought about it. It seems like a good program and the placement I would personally say is better than the overclass, then again the placement are all focused toward consulting and Big Corp which is pretty much the group that it attracts. It has definitely fewer marketing and CPG than the general pop.

unhedge, used the I wished to address any highlights. I wouldn't worry too much about negatives until your optional essay.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 14:31
mba12tech wrote:
Is anyone here considering the MMM program? I'm on the fence, since it seems like it could definitely work for me, but I'm unsure how relevant everything is to the software industry. Everything that I've read has been a bit too generic, but I get the feel that the program may be too slanted towards other industries to be worth it for me. Any insider info?

It probably wont hurt or help in that industry. If you wanted an operations/GM gig at a hardware or major software company then it would be great. Intel, Dell, Apple, RIM, Microsoft, etc all are tech companies that hire MMMs FT and for internships. I dont think many people really go into software areas outside of big companies like microsoft, symantec, apple, etc.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, Kellogg, Duke, Darden, Wharton

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 18:56
Count me in for Round 1!
Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 19:33
mba12tech: I'm considering the MMM program and am also on the fence. One aspect of the program that I like is that it narrows down the relatively large overall class into a smaller group of people with similar interests. Of course, joining clubs would probably accomplish much of the same. After talking to a current student, I feel like the best part is taking classes in the engineering school towards a second degree for the same cost while the downside is taking less electives in other more interesting areas. Also, even though I'm not familiar with recruiting, I don't imagine that the MEM degree adds that much value on top of the Kellogg MBA (except maybe for project management?).
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2009, 23:10
Lotta early birds here. And consequently a lot of my questions have already been answered. Thanks folks and count me in for R1!
Current Student
Schools: Fuqua Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 21

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2009, 05:33
gregarious wrote:
mba12tech: I'm considering the MMM program and am also on the fence. One aspect of the program that I like is that it narrows down the relatively large overall class into a smaller group of people with similar interests. Of course, joining clubs would probably accomplish much of the same. After talking to a current student, I feel like the best part is taking classes in the engineering school towards a second degree for the same cost while the downside is taking less electives in other more interesting areas. Also, even though I'm not familiar with recruiting, I don't imagine that the MEM degree adds that much value on top of the Kellogg MBA (except maybe for project management?).

Yeah, I agree; I wouldn't be doing it for the extra degree (though that's an upside), but to beef up my engineering street cred / knowledge-base. A lot of the MMM coursework that I've seen on the site is pretty appealing. I don't know how great of a match MMM is for someone like me who is interested in software (specifically, net software), but then again, I'd be ignorant to assume that I will always be in that area only or that it wouldn't have some crossover with hardware or other engineering realms.
Current Student
Schools: Ross Class of 2012
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2009, 11:18
Does anyone have an outline of what the Career Progress Survey (Kellogg's recommendation letter format) looks like? My recommenders are trying to get a head start on these and I can't seem to find what this looks like anywhere? Also, does this survey change often or is it basically the same each year?

Thanks everyone!
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2009, 11:57
nink wrote:
ACNguy wrote:
Does anyone have an outline of what the Career Progress Survey (Kellogg's recommendation letter format) looks like? My recommenders are trying to get a head start on these and I can't seem to find what this looks like anywhere? Also, does this survey change often or is it basically the same each year?

Thanks everyone!

My application was done online so I have no idea what recommendation part looks like. But attached is a copy of Recommendation Letter form for Kellogg PT MBA Program. Not sure if this is exactly what it looks like for FT program or not. Riverripper or another Kellogg student can probably confirm.

Attachment:
RecommendationForm.doc

Kudos to you! Thanks a lot!
Director
Director
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2009, 14:12
nink wrote:

My application was done online so I have no idea what recommendation part looks like. But attached is a copy of Recommendation Letter form for Kellogg PT MBA Program. Not sure if this is exactly what it looks like for FT program or not. Riverripper or another Kellogg student can probably confirm.

Attachment:
RecommendationForm.doc

This is helpful. It gives a good idea what school is looking for. Now I have a better idea how to approach my recommenders, but it also raises concerns, it seems to have a lot of writing involved without quotas.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 40 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2009, 14:14
billyjeans wrote:
nink wrote:

Attachment:
RecommendationForm.doc

This is helpful. It gives a good idea what school is looking for. Now I have a better idea how to approach my recommenders, but it also raises concerns, it seems to have a lot of writing involved without quotas.

I'm pretty sure the FT recommendation form is similar but not exactly the same. I'm also pretty sure it had page limits. Not sure if I still have it - but will check when I get back to my computer at home.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 05:25
Is the word limit of 600 words for the first three essays very strict? Can it be exceeded by around 5-10%?
Current Student

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 05:46
vikramaditya wrote:
Is the word limit of 600 words for the first three essays very strict? Can it be exceeded by around 5-10%?

I'm not willing to risk it. It's one of those things that if you catch an Adcom on a bad day, it might put a bad taste in their mouth. If you're only 5-10% over it shouldn't be overly difficult to shave that off.
Director
Director
Schools: Duke 2012
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 05:50
ACNguy wrote:
vikramaditya wrote:

I'm not willing to risk it. It's one of those things that if you catch an Adcom on a bad day, it might put a bad taste in their mouth. If you're only 5-10% over it shouldn't be overly difficult to shave that off.

I concur. I'm abiding strictly by the word limits, I don't want them thinking I don't follow directions, I need all the help I can get :)

I've seen this debated here before and it seems to be a gray area. Some people think they give you the word limits and they mean it, so you shouldn't go over. Others think the extra five or ten percent isn't noticeable anyway and that certainly they wouldn't keep you out because of that if your app is good. Certainly they won't notice the difference if you're at 605, so don't make yourself crazy.

"Egotism is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity." - Frank Leahy

Current Student
Schools: Cornell AMBA($$), Kellogg MBA(w/d), Ross(w/d), Ivey MBA(w/d), Haas

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 16:38
I have been trying to find the Kellogg MBA brochure for sometime, but with little luck. I saw the MMM brochure, but there doesn't seem to be one for 2-year MBA.

Anyone out there, who was able to get their hands on it?

http://mbatraveller.wordpress.com/

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Aug 2009, 18:40
bpr81 wrote:
I have been trying to find the Kellogg MBA brochure for sometime, but with little luck. I saw the MMM brochure, but there doesn't seem to be one for 2-year MBA.

Anyone out there, who was able to get their hands on it?

They will mail you one if you request it.
http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/Programs/FullTimeMBA/TakeAction/Request_Information.aspx

Also check out the latests facts and figures:
http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/Programs/FullTimeMBA/About_Our_Students/~/media/Files/FTMBA/FT_FactsFigures-09.ashx

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants!   [#permalink] 08 Aug 2009, 18:40