Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 08:23

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg MMM, Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 37 [1] , given: 5

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 10:04
This post received
KUDOS
gmatbschool wrote:

In any case, the problem probably is exactly what you mentioned - GMATClub is growing. Like any growing community, the newcomers are not familiar with the norms, customs, vibes.... and as transient visitors they're not interested in forming bonds. Support and encouragement comes only if the members feel attached to the site and to one another.

For example, there have been TONS of posts like "please post your stats" over and over again. One reason is that the info is not in the profile (new member, etc etc). Another is that nobody said not to do that the first time. Asking for stats (IMHO) is not bad in and of itself. It does suck when that is all we see on the thread, that is all anyone wants to know, and the moderator finds it all the more difficult to update.

I think people got upset with your post because it seems like (not saying it is, but it seems like) you were making a value judgement on the characters and quality of applicants this year.
It sounded like you were saying "gosh all these new people have no idea what Kellogg is like and don't belong here".

I recognize and accept the criticism, and hope
to make clear that was NOT at all what I intended. I think you summed up the problem very well, and it may be somewhat of an intractable one. Anyhow, I'm very sorry for causing unrest.

Posted from my mobile device Image

http://bent.tw

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 237 [1] , given: 17

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 10:38
This post received
KUDOS
gmatbschool wrote:
DISCLAIMER: I wasn't on these b-school app boards last year, so this is just my uninformed opinion :wink:
I sort of see what you're saying. The GMAT section of this site is much for supportive and friendly. I had dismissed the difference thinking that that section has to do with test-taking (more objective questions and answers) and this section is about applying and competing with one another.

In any case, the problem probably is exactly what you mentioned - GMATClub is growing. Like any growing community, the newcomers are not familiar with the norms, customs, vibes.... and as transient visitors they're not interested in forming bonds. Support and encouragement comes only if the members feel attached to the site and to one another.

IMHO only GMATClub is in a position to make that happen. A growing community has to be guided and shaped. We have excellent and active moderators, but most of them are applicants too. Perhaps if former applicants / current students could be persuaded by the founders to be more active?
For example, there have been TONS of posts like "please post your stats" over and over again. One reason is that the info is not in the profile (new member, etc etc). Another is that nobody said not to do that the first time. Asking for stats (IMHO) is not bad in and of itself. It does suck when that is all we see on the thread, that is all anyone wants to know, and the moderator finds it all the more difficult to update.
This is not a ding on Jerz or any of the moderators. I'm just saying that perhaps they (and the founders) need to have a discussion on how proactive they want to be.

I get the difficulty in perpetuating the sense of community norms in a growing community. And I think it's a shared responsibility - for the new members to take it on themselves to understand the expectations (and be open to guidance from more experienced members and mods), and for the mods/admins to help guide new members and take action when appropriate. This year the mods (myself included) took a more hands off approach than last year because of some criticism that last year we were too heavy-handed. Obviously this approach has it's problems as well, so our approach to moderation will continue to evolve. So I think you'll probably see a bit more active moderation of this board going forward. In terms of ground rules, I think they're pretty straightforward:

1. Be polite and helpful. If you want to be a jerk, there are plenty of other MBA forums for you.
2. Don't argue with the current students. Trust that we have a good sense of what's going on at our school (and that includes the admissions process) and when we don't know or are speculating we will tell you so. We're here to help you guys, like we were helped last year.
3. Do your homework before asking questions. It's frustrating to repeatedly answer the same questions over and over, or to be asked questions that could easily be found on gmatclub or the school's website.
4. If you're new, introduce yourself. Ask to be added to the roll call and a moderator will add you to the applicant listing. Also, fill out your profile so people can see basic info about you (GMAT, schools applying to, etc.). This will cut down on the need for people to keep asking about stats (which gets incredibly boring to read through)

Which leads to a personal pet peeve of mine. The stats of GMAT score, age, gpa, and years of experience tells you next to nothing about the strength of a person's candidacy and are practically irrelevant to make comparisons based on. You fill out an application with almost 10 pages of information about you. If your candidacy could be summed up in one line, the applications would be a lot shorter (and the readers' lives a lot easier).

If you guys think those ground rules are unfair, I'm happy to discuss them with you. To avoid completely turning this thread OT, send me a PM if you have concerns rather than posting them here.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg (R2 Admit), Tuck (R1 Ding), Booth (R2 Ding), Wharton (R2 Interviewed) , HBS (R2), Stanford (R2), Yale SOM (R3 withdrew), Tepper (R3 withdrew)
WE 1: 5.5 yrs engineering
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 4

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2010, 21:57
This post received
KUDOS
Got the call at 9:07am PST today (3/18)......I'M IN!!!! :-D

M/U.S./29 yrs/770 GMAT/3.9 GPA/5.5 yrs WE/engineering/Good ECs
Rd 2 applicant, 2 yr FT MBA (not MMM or JD/MBA)

I seriously had to pinch myself to make sure I was not dreaming! I always felt that Kellogg was the best fit for me, so I am totally ecstatic! I was very impressed with the students I met and thought that I resonated well with my interviewer. My essays were pretty strong, but maybe not quite as powerful as the ones I did for Wharton (Rd 2). Those Wharton questions were extremely well suited to my writing style, or so it seemed.

I'd like to extend a big THANK YOU to all the current Kellogg students on this board for your insights into the program and application/decision process. This board has been a major part of my research and GMAT prep over the past nine months and has made everything a whole lot easier on me.

Perhaps my admit can give some hope to those applicants who are often perceived as "purely technical" AND/OR went to an undergraduate school of "lower prestige".

To all of you still waiting for a R2 or R1/WL decision: Best of luck and DON'T STOP BELIEVING !!!
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2010, 08:13
This post received
KUDOS
manasa wrote:
do they release decisions on sat too??
or do we need to wait till monday?

The admissions office is closed over the weekend, so you can relax because no decisions are going out until Monday.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg MMM, Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 37 [1] , given: 5

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2010, 09:32
This post received
KUDOS
unplugged wrote:
monkbent,

Is the review process for MMM application different from the 2Y application's review process?

I know that there is a single team for both but are the MMM applications evaluated by a special committee after the usual 2Y process?

Just curious..

As I understand it, MMMs are in their own pool under one of the adcoms. It's completely Kellogg run though (McCormick has no input).

http://bent.tw

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2010, 09:00
This post received
KUDOS
wait list reported on business week....
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2010, 07:10
This post received
KUDOS
unplugged wrote:
Monkbent/Jerz,

How is the atmosphere like in the adcom office? Have they made their decisions?

I know it's tough for you guys to answer this question. But still wanted to check

I have a feeling that the majority of the decisions this week will be WL/dings. :twisted:

No idea. It's spring break so I haven't been near Jacobs or the Admissions Office in almost a week. From everything I've heard though, I would expect the pattern of admissions to follow R1, with a large group of people hearing over the past two weeks, and then decisions (admit, WL and deny) continuing to go out at a somewhat lower pace up until the deadline.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2010, 15:28
This post received
KUDOS
Rejected today. Funny -- got a significant promotion at work a couple of hours before the rejection email.

Oh well!

All the best everyone.

Over and out.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 8

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2010, 07:07
This post received
KUDOS
found this news in the journal today...thought you guys would like it...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... SecondNews

nath99
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2010, 08:29
This post received
KUDOS
mbasc2010 wrote:
IN AT KELLOGG! With $$. So unexpected. Just received the call.

Anyone know when admit weekend is?

April 22-24

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: LSAT - 171
Schools: Booth (R2, reapplicant from R3 '09), Kellogg (R2, JD/MBA, reapplicant from R3 '09), Haas (R3)
WE 1: 5 yrs global telecommunications

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2010, 09:24
This post received
KUDOS
Yankees2008 wrote:
when did you all receive the waitlist emails? or did you check status?

(for JD/MBA applicants)

Email, about 15 mins. ago. Had checked my status a few times within the last few hours without any change, so it was prompt to update system with email notification.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS, Fuqua ($), Darden ($), Booth ($), Wharton, Kellogg, Columbia, Stanford (w/o int), Stern (withdrawn)

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2010, 10:21
This post received
KUDOS
in for jd/mba!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: LSAT - 171
Schools: Booth (R2, reapplicant from R3 '09), Kellogg (R2, JD/MBA, reapplicant from R3 '09), Haas (R3)
WE 1: 5 yrs global telecommunications

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2010, 10:37
This post received
KUDOS
tuck20xx wrote:
someone got in to jd/mba? not sure i saw that....

Round 1/2 JD/MBA info compiled for BW/GMC Forums, as far as I can count so far:
(updated 2:57cst 3/26)

Applicants: 23
Admit: 6 (of which 1 was on R1 w/l)
W/L (current): 8
ding: 3
unknown: 5 (4 currently in R2)

JD/MBA RND 1
Admit: appsick (BW - from R1 w/l), _d1 (BW), NPRJunkie (BW), Wolfie2011
W/L: kong (BW), lbah (BW), tuck20xx
Ding: bjack (BW), topdawg (BW)
Unknown: Mong

JD/MBA RND 2
Admit: meridian17, yankees2008
W/L: andrewcs, hopper39, luangm, oaks, prasanna0208
Ding: withhopestowin
Unknown: Acesp14519, Joemahmah, lakers_fan (BW), nycilley02 (BW), pulandasu

Last edited by Hopper39 on 26 Mar 2010, 11:57, edited 3 times in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: H,S, W (Int), Chi w/$$, Kellogg JD/MBA, MIT, Col
WE 1: 3 Years MC

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Mar 2010, 11:48
This post received
KUDOS
Was admitted to the JD/MBA program about an hour ago.

It is between that and Booth with $$ for me, and I'm leaning towards booth. I will keep those interested updated on my decisions - hopefully i can get someone else in with my freed spot.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 09:46
This post received
KUDOS
I found out last Wed (Mar 24) that I had been waitlisted, but thankfully, I ended up getting into Wharton with $$ this past Friday. Who knows how these decisions are made, but I'll be pulling myself off the waitlist this week, and hopefully that'll increase the chances for any of you still on the waitlist.

Just something to share - I made to sure to call Kellogg as soon as I found out I was on the waitlist. After about a 20 min wait on the phone, I finally got through and was transferred to my waitlist manager. She explained to me that calling her was a good step, as it reaffirmed my interest. She also said that not everyone does that, so if you haven't spoken with anyone at Kellogg yet, maybe just reach out to them to see if there is anything they still need from you. Had I not got into Wharton, I would've made sure to send some sort of update letter to convince her to take me off the waitlist. good luck to everyone still waiting!

And just for stats - F/700/US/5 WE (2 in IB and 3 in Corp Strat)/3.5 GPA from Top Public/Good ECs
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: CPA, CFA
Schools: Darden Class of 2012
WE 1: Big 4 Accounting

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 4

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 09:57
This post received
KUDOS
moonch776 wrote:
I found out last Wed (Mar 24) that I had been waitlisted, but thankfully, I ended up getting into Wharton with $$ this past Friday. Who knows how these decisions are made, but I'll be pulling myself off the waitlist this week, and hopefully that'll increase the chances for any of you still on the waitlist.

Just something to share - I made to sure to call Kellogg as soon as I found out I was on the waitlist. After about a 20 min wait on the phone, I finally got through and was transferred to my waitlist manager. She explained to me that calling her was a good step, as it reaffirmed my interest. She also said that not everyone does that, so if you haven't spoken with anyone at Kellogg yet, maybe just reach out to them to see if there is anything they still need from you. Had I not got into Wharton, I would've made sure to send some sort of update letter to convince her to take me off the waitlist. good luck to everyone still waiting!

And just for stats - F/700/US/5 WE (2 in IB and 3 in Corp Strat)/3.5 GPA from Top Public/Good ECs

i generally agree with this. however, i called my waitlist manager and sent in two letters with significant updates and still got dinged. take this for whatever it's worth.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: CPA, CFA
Schools: Darden Class of 2012
WE 1: Big 4 Accounting

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 4

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2010, 10:26
This post received
KUDOS
mba4me2010 wrote:
Hey Tuck20xx,

Where do you plan on going now that you got the Kellogg ding?

will likely come down to whether darden offers any cash. PM me if you'd like we should take side conversations off the boards.....
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2013
WE 1: 5 year in Energy

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2010, 20:24
This post received
KUDOS
Received the ding yesterday after being in waitlist for 3.5 months. I am really amazed what took them so long to realize that I am useless for their batch. Probably they were just waiting for fool's day to break out the news. So with dings from Booth, Columbia and Kellogg, I am done for this year with my apps. I hope something is better in store next year for me.

Best of luck to all those who still are in the fray.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 3

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2010, 09:57
This post received
KUDOS
Has this become a paid site? Or has no one posted any updates for the past week or so. Just curious.

Any movement on the waitlist? Accepts, Dings, Leaving for other M7's.

Best of luck all, Cheers.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 77

Kudos [?]: 691 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2010, 13:38
This post received
KUDOS
I have a few friends who got accepted late july and even early august. I know one person who actually had already moved and gotten settled in at another program before being let in and then deciding to come to Kellogg. Definitely dont give up hope.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2010 Applicants!   [#permalink] 17 Apr 2010, 13:38