Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 01:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 16:01
whats up all, count me for Rd 2.. just getting started with gmat club. great resource here. Hope to contribute these next few months.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg, Ross: R1, Insead, ISB R2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2010, 23:02
First Post here. So a big hello from Nassau, Bahamas. Count me in for R1.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg, Tuck, Ross, Duke, ISB

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 02:13
Hey guys,

We are way too slow. Same thread last year had almost seven pages filled by this time and we are at two only.

I hope everyone has started with essays... Let us discuss how to tackle them.

I am currently struggling with Essay Three...

Assume you are evaluating your application from the perspective of a student member of the Kellogg Admissions Committee. Why would you and your peers select you for admission, and what impact would you make as a member of the Kellogg community? (600 word limit).

There are so many opinions available regarding this essay on web. What is your take?

Can we include new information in it or it has to be written wrt third person and should only be expansion of information presented elsewhere?

Request current Kellogg students to provide their perspective.. Much appreciated

In Pursuit of Excellence

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 06:33
In for R1.

Done with Essay 1 & 4 (failure)
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth class of 2013
WE 1: 6 yrs product development (tech)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2010, 10:14
In for R1. Working on essays now and kicking myself for not using June to write Kellogg essays from 2009-2010.

My profile
My GMAT experience

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2012
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 02:09
This post received
KUDOS
Once I get on campus and get my bearings, I'll try and check in here from time to time to help you guys out.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 02:41
For essay four, i am thinking of writing on following topic:

Describe an instance where you encountered resistance in a professional team setting. How did you address the situation?

Though my question may sound weird but still, can we describe an experience from EC for this topic or it has to from profession only??

What do you think folks... Please share your perspective...

In Pursuit of Excellence

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 02:43
And Thank you Boogs for your response.... we will all look forward to your help.

In Pursuit of Excellence

Current Student
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 19

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 04:25
Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth class of 2013
WE 1: 6 yrs product development (tech)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 23

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 07:13
Does anybody know if the essays get read by the ad-com in sequence (that is, Essay #1 first, then #2, #3, and finally #4)?
In trying to establish a complete picture, I thought I'd finish with essays 1,2, and 4 (not necessarily in that order), and then write #3 using evidence laid out in the other three essays. However, this plan might fall apart if the ad-com reads essay #3 before #4 and goes "huh? the applicant hasn't referenced that anywhere".

What are everyone's thoughts?

My profile
My GMAT experience

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.3
WE: Project Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 61

Kudos [?]: 262 [0], given: 86

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 11:30
wiredo wrote:
Does anybody know if the essays get read by the ad-com in sequence (that is, Essay #1 first, then #2, #3, and finally #4)?
In trying to establish a complete picture, I thought I'd finish with essays 1,2, and 4 (not necessarily in that order), and then write #3 using evidence laid out in the other three essays. However, this plan might fall apart if the ad-com reads essay #3 before #4 and goes "huh? the applicant hasn't referenced that anywhere".

What are everyone's thoughts?

I'm planning to do the same thing for essay #3. Because the question is based on your entire application package, it would be logical for them to read #3 last.

VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 17

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 15:24
2011 wrote:
Hey guys,

We are way too slow. Same thread last year had almost seven pages filled by this time and we are at two only.

Assume you are evaluating your application from the perspective of a student member of the Kellogg Admissions Committee. Why would you and your peers select you for admission, and what impact would you make as a member of the Kellogg community? (600 word limit).

There are so many opinions available regarding this essay on web. What is your take?

Can we include new information in it or it has to be written wrt third person and should only be expansion of information presented elsewhere?

Request current Kellogg students to provide their perspective.. Much appreciated

There was a pretty big debate on this in last year's Kellogg thread, so you may want to check out that discussion for some perspective. Overall though I wouldn't focus too much on whether it's 3rd or 1st person or whether it introduces new information. Bottom line, Kellogg is a very participative school and fit with that culture is an important aspect of admissions. This is your chance to demonstrate that fit and talk about how you're going to contribute to Kellogg if you get admitted.

Intern
Intern
Schools: INSEAD, Columbia, Kellogg, Chicago, Wharton
WE 1: Finance (4 yrs)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 16:56
please count me for R1 - thanks!
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 21:40
Jerz wrote:
2011 wrote:
Hey guys,

There was a pretty big debate on this in last year's Kellogg thread, so you may want to check out that discussion for some perspective. Overall though I wouldn't focus too much on whether it's 3rd or 1st person or whether it introduces new information. Bottom line, Kellogg is a very participative school and fit with that culture is an important aspect of admissions. This is your chance to demonstrate that fit and talk about how you're going to contribute to Kellogg if you get admitted.

Thank you for your quick response Jerz. Yes, i also went through the long debate on this essay question on last year's thread however wanted to know what approach successful candidates have adopted. I was also thinking of conveying some new information in this essay but was bit concerned about not answering the question part. Your response have somewhat allayed my fears.

In Pursuit of Excellence

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 21:47
2011 wrote:
I was also thinking of conveying some new information in this essay but was bit concerned about not answering the question part. Your response have somewhat allayed my fears.

I decided not to convey any more information in that essay.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2010, 21:54
hazay wrote:
2011 wrote:
I was also thinking of conveying some new information in this essay but was bit concerned about not answering the question part. Your response have somewhat allayed my fears.

I decided not to convey any more information in that essay.

For me, essays one and two will talk mostly about profession and content of essay four will depend on which question you choose to answer. I am more inclined towards using resistance in team option so again it will be more related to profession. So now i am left with essay three where i can establish and communicate fit with Kellogg. So no other option than to include new information. May be i will try to link it with a point in my resume. But not sure yet.

In Pursuit of Excellence

Current Student
Schools: Northwestern Law / Kellogg School of Management

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2010, 16:45
Hi guys, I'm a NL/K JDMBA admit, aka the first batch of admits for class of 2013 =P

For essay 3, I've taken the approach of showing how i'm an interesting classmate and great teammate of others, how I'm a great friend to my peers. Since it's from the "perspective of a student member", i thought you can brainstorm why your friend love you, give a fresh perspective in addition of all your academic excellence and professional achievements in other essays

Just my 2 cents... Good luck for your applications and see you in Kellogg soon~
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg 2013

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2010, 07:24
Jerz or any other Kellogg folk reading this thread - is there anywhere on the school's website to obtain this year's recommendation form, or do I just need to wait until the application is live? I'm trying to get details out to my recommenders to give them plenty of time before the R1 deadline. I have last year's version from the 2010 app thread but would love to give them the current one in case something has changed.

For essay 3, I'm taking a similar approach to the one zzway describes (and congrats by the way!). Maybe I'm under-thinking it, but I'm not too worried about whatever structure I choose being a dealbreaker on a technical level. Kind of reminds me of a season finale when the contestants are asked, "Why should you be Top Chef?" Some provide new information, some appeal to skills, some to emotion - there are many ways to make the case.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2010, 21:14
Going to visit the campus and sit in a class on Aug 3rd. Anyone applying from Chicago wants to meet for coffee next weekend?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Aug 2010, 02:24
In for R1
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants!   [#permalink] 03 Aug 2010, 02:24