Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Sep 2014, 10:28

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 May 2011
Posts: 1
Schools: Kellogg, Columbia, Yale, LBS
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 04:36
MDF wrote:
rhythmandsoul wrote:
This one's for the admission consultants or somebody who's done with the first draft of the essays. How strict is the committee on the word limit? I've narrowed it down to 666 words for the first question, but really hate to prune it beyond that. What is the degree of flexibility, if any, on the word limit on the essays?

Btw, nice number that 666 :)


My personal opinion is that ~5-10% over is fine. I'm right there with you in the 660s for most of my Kellogg essays. I think it's more about overall look than it is about physical word count. If you're writing a 400 word essay and yours is the only one that the adcom reads that goes into the 2nd page, they'll probably be suspicious. But if it just has an extra 30-40 words, I doubt they'll even notice.



No dude, I'd suggest 600 bang on. The admissions female who came for the Kellogg India event joked, for every extra sentence a student writes above the wordcount, he takes away precious family time off the adcom members.

I'd suggest dont look at the essay for minimum 3 days- return to it with a fresh perspective, it'll help you cut 66 words easily.
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Current Student
Joined: 24 Aug 2010
Posts: 1346
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 400 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 05:03
Would anyone be able to tell me about peer advising or mentorship opportunities at Kellogg. Is there a leadership fellowship?
What are the opportunities to help develop your peers? How is peer to peer feedback delivered?

Any insight that current students or alums can provide will be very helpful.
_________________

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com
Image

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 May 2011
Posts: 388
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 06:53
rhythmandsoul wrote:
This one's for the admission consultants or somebody who's done with the first draft of the essays. How strict is the committee on the word limit? I've narrowed it down to 666 words for the first question, but really hate to prune it beyond that. What is the degree of flexibility, if any, on the word limit on the essays?

Btw, nice number that 666 :)


While I personally think being 5-10% over is fine, I think it really depends. I know when I review my essays, I try to get as close to the word count as possible. Really reading the essay as a whole and identifying the weakest sentence was my biggest help. I was able to remove 50 words or so on each essay by doing this without losing context, flow, or direction. I think in the end, my essays were even strong.

I am not sure how strict Kellogg is, but I have heard 2 different views on this. One is the word count is a guide, and as long as you are not grossly over, you will be fine. The other is that the adcom stops reading at the word limit. I would get as close to the word limit as possible just in case this is the situation.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Posts: 149
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.78
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 11

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 16:06
Hi fella-gmatclubers,

I just have received an e-mail with information for my interviewer. I'm planning to call him tomorrow to set up an interview. This is the first one for me.

Will any current students, alumni or candidates who already went through the interview share their wisdom or helpful tips on specifics of interview with Admission alumni? Any helpful advice/comment/suggestion will be appreciated.
1 KUDOS received
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 10 Apr 2007
Posts: 4320
Location: Back in Chicago, IL
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 694 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 16:26
1
This post received
KUDOS
alexBLR wrote:
Will any current students, alumni or candidates who already went through the interview share their wisdom or helpful tips on specifics of interview with Admission alumni? Any helpful advice/comment/suggestion will be appreciated.


As an alumni interviewer, my advice is know yourself and read up on your own essays. Kellogg essays give you lots of material that would be helpful in the interview process. Be professional, but personable. A lot of alums will look at you and will ask themselves , would I want to be classmates with this guy/gal and do I want him/her representing my school.

Make a good impression by dressing appropriately and show up early, nothing pisses me off more when interviewing for Kellogg or work than having someone not have the courtesy to show up on time. I am taking out my personal time to help them, I give them the respect to be on time. If someone is late they damn well better have a good reason or I that is some serious points against them.
_________________

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2011
Posts: 38
Location: United States (IL)
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Accounting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 16:40
My interview was scheduled in two weeks. Hope this won't be too late. How about yours?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Posts: 149
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.78
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 11

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 16:42
riverripper wrote:
alexBLR wrote:
Will any current students, alumni or candidates who already went through the interview share their wisdom or helpful tips on specifics of interview with Admission alumni? Any helpful advice/comment/suggestion will be appreciated.


As an alumni interviewer, my advice is know yourself and read up on your own essays. Kellogg essays give you lots of material that would be helpful in the interview process. Be professional, but personable. A lot of alums will look at you and will ask themselves , would I want to be classmates with this guy/gal and do I want him/her representing my school.

Make a good impression by dressing appropriately and show up early, nothing pisses me off more when interviewing for Kellogg or work than having someone not have the courtesy to show up on time. I am taking out my personal time to help them, I give them the respect to be on time. If someone is late they damn well better have a good reason or I that is some serious points against them.


River, thanks for your reply and advises. I was just in the process of reading you posts in 2011 thread:)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 17 Jan 2010
Posts: 149
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.78
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 11

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 16:51
ciduo777 wrote:
My interview was scheduled in two weeks. Hope this won't be too late. How about yours?


I have not scheduled it yet-will do it in the next few days. I don't think that having an interview 2 weeks from now is late. I would think that some people will be interviewing in November as well.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 09 Dec 2008
Posts: 1221
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 17:33
rgupta83 wrote:
rhythmandsoul wrote:
This one's for the admission consultants or somebody who's done with the first draft of the essays. How strict is the committee on the word limit? I've narrowed it down to 666 words for the first question, but really hate to prune it beyond that. What is the degree of flexibility, if any, on the word limit on the essays?

Btw, nice number that 666 :)


While I personally think being 5-10% over is fine, I think it really depends. I know when I review my essays, I try to get as close to the word count as possible. Really reading the essay as a whole and identifying the weakest sentence was my biggest help. I was able to remove 50 words or so on each essay by doing this without losing context, flow, or direction. I think in the end, my essays were even strong.

I am not sure how strict Kellogg is, but I have heard 2 different views on this. One is the word count is a guide, and as long as you are not grossly over, you will be fine. The other is that the adcom stops reading at the word limit. I would get as close to the word limit as possible just in case this is the situation.


I would also caution to look at the total length of all your essays combined. While going over on an essay by 10% is probably going to be ok, if all of your essays are 10% over the limit, it's going to be much more obvious that you haven't paid attention to the word limits. It's always possible to write a compelling essay within the word limits allowed.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 31 May 2011
Posts: 7
Location: United States
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.99
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 05:32
I just got an interview from Kellogg and was wondering when the interviews normally occur? I realize that it probably depends on the interviewer but is it strange to try and meet up with them on the weekend? I recently have been working in a different city Monday-Friday and return home on the weekends. Is it rude to impose on their weekends or is it more of the norm?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 25 May 2011
Posts: 388
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 06:18
rjthomas21 wrote:
I just got an interview from Kellogg and was wondering when the interviews normally occur? I realize that it probably depends on the interviewer but is it strange to try and meet up with them on the weekend? I recently have been working in a different city Monday-Friday and return home on the weekends. Is it rude to impose on their weekends or is it more of the norm?


Weekends are fine. I think it really depends on your interviewer. Since it is an alumni who works full time themselves, weekends may be best for them to begin with.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Feb 2011
Posts: 117
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 7

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 06:48
rgupta83 wrote:
rjthomas21 wrote:
I just got an interview from Kellogg and was wondering when the interviews normally occur? I realize that it probably depends on the interviewer but is it strange to try and meet up with them on the weekend? I recently have been working in a different city Monday-Friday and return home on the weekends. Is it rude to impose on their weekends or is it more of the norm?


Weekends are fine. I think it really depends on your interviewer. Since it is an alumni who works full time themselves, weekends may be best for them to begin with.


My interviewer offered a weekend option as one of the 4-5 times we could meet. Having said that, I don't think I'd lead by asking for a weekend interview. Maybe you should just ask your interviewer what days/times works best for him/her and then see if they propose a weekend option.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 09 Dec 2008
Posts: 1221
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2011, 18:13
I would actually prefer to interview a candidate on the weekend. Work schedules can be a little unpredictable so by scheduling on the weekend I'd be sure to have time before the interview to prepare and gather my thoughts. That's my preference though and others may be different. Bottom line is it's up to you and your interviewer to find a time that's mutually convenient, but don't assume off the bat that weekends are off limits.
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 May 2010
Posts: 11
Location: Vadodara
Schools: LBS, Harvard, Kellogs, ESADE
WE 1: 70 months
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2011, 23:45
Jerz wrote:
rgupta83 wrote:
rhythmandsoul wrote:
This one's for the admission consultants or somebody who's done with the first draft of the essays. How strict is the committee on the word limit? I've narrowed it down to 666 words for the first question, but really hate to prune it beyond that. What is the degree of flexibility, if any, on the word limit on the essays?

Btw, nice number that 666 :)


While I personally think being 5-10% over is fine, I think it really depends. I know when I review my essays, I try to get as close to the word count as possible. Really reading the essay as a whole and identifying the weakest sentence was my biggest help. I was able to remove 50 words or so on each essay by doing this without losing context, flow, or direction. I think in the end, my essays were even strong.

I am not sure how strict Kellogg is, but I have heard 2 different views on this. One is the word count is a guide, and as long as you are not grossly over, you will be fine. The other is that the adcom stops reading at the word limit. I would get as close to the word limit as possible just in case this is the situation.


I would also caution to look at the total length of all your essays combined. While going over on an essay by 10% is probably going to be ok, if all of your essays are 10% over the limit, it's going to be much more obvious that you haven't paid attention to the word limits. It's always possible to write a compelling essay within the word limits allowed.


Thanks for the replies. I guess the general conclusion is to stick to the word limit as much as possible and overdoing it by 5-10 % on a question is permissible. Going to give my essays a breather for a while and return to it after a day or two. Let's see how that works!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 21 May 2010
Posts: 11
Location: Vadodara
Schools: LBS, Harvard, Kellogs, ESADE
WE 1: 70 months
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Blooper on Resume [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2011, 23:54
After giving it a thought, I've decided to post this and get some feedback from you guys at the cost of canvassing my stupidity!

I have made a blooper in the chronological order on my resume during Part I of the application of the resume viz. I have put in the period of my current job as Present- Jan 2010 instead of Jan 2011 and the tenure for my previous job as 03/2008-10/2011 instead of 03/2008-10/2010. So I guess the obvious question is:

a) I am assuming the team at Kellogg looks at Part I and Part II in totality. Under this assumption, I hope to correct this error in the additional information section of my essays. Is my assumption correct?

b) Can such a schoolboy error in the resume be an outright grounds for rejection?

It's possible that the extreme speculation in b) is just a natural outcome of my current state of mind

Help much appreciated!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 26 Aug 2011
Posts: 48
Location: India
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q V0
GMAT 2: Q V
GMAT 3: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 3

Re: Blooper on Resume [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2011, 03:13
rhythmandsoul wrote:
After giving it a thought, I've decided to post this and get some feedback from you guys at the cost of canvassing my stupidity!

I have made a blooper in the chronological order on my resume during Part I of the application of the resume viz. I have put in the period of my current job as Present- Jan 2010 instead of Jan 2011 and the tenure for my previous job as 03/2008-10/2011 instead of 03/2008-10/2010. So I guess the obvious question is:

a) I am assuming the team at Kellogg looks at Part I and Part II in totality. Under this assumption, I hope to correct this error in the additional information section of my essays. Is my assumption correct?

b) Can such a schoolboy error in the resume be an outright grounds for rejection?

It's possible that the extreme speculation in b) is just a natural outcome of my current state of mind

Help much appreciated!



Hey, don't worry, there's only so much you can do now. I'd suggest mailing the Adcom an updated CV and request them to update your file accordingly.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 20 Jun 2010
Posts: 488
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2011, 09:22
Do first year students at Kellogg get separated into clusters or cohorts during the core curriculum?

I thought I remembered hearing this, but I can't find anything that confirms it on the website...

And if so, are these groups formally called 'clusters,' or 'cohorts', or what?
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Affiliations: Phi Beta Kappa, Kappa Delta
Joined: 10 Feb 2011
Posts: 65
Location: United States (CA)
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.9
WE: Other (Venture Capital)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Blooper on Resume [#permalink] New post 01 Oct 2011, 13:37
rhythmandsoul wrote:
After giving it a thought, I've decided to post this and get some feedback from you guys at the cost of canvassing my stupidity!

I have made a blooper in the chronological order on my resume during Part I of the application of the resume viz. I have put in the period of my current job as Present- Jan 2010 instead of Jan 2011 and the tenure for my previous job as 03/2008-10/2011 instead of 03/2008-10/2010. So I guess the obvious question is:

a) I am assuming the team at Kellogg looks at Part I and Part II in totality. Under this assumption, I hope to correct this error in the additional information section of my essays. Is my assumption correct?

b) Can such a schoolboy error in the resume be an outright grounds for rejection?

It's possible that the extreme speculation in b) is just a natural outcome of my current state of mind

Help much appreciated!


I'll give you an anecdote that might make you feel better. When I was applying to PhD programs in psychology I accidentally referred to the female professor I wanted to work with at Yale as "he" multiple times because I had cut and paste part of my statement of purpose from a different school's essay and edited it. She had an obviously female name, by the way. When I realized my mistake I figured I would get rejected outright but I was accepted to work with this prof and it was never mentioned (and these programs have even slimmer acceptance rates than most top MBA programs).
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 20 Jun 2010
Posts: 488
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 27

GMAT Tests User
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2011, 09:04
Does anyone know how long an interview on campus with an adcom is scheduled to last?

30mins, 1hr?
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Applying
Joined: 18 Jul 2009
Posts: 158
Location: United Kingdom
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.65
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 6

Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Oct 2011, 15:11
In for R1!!
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 03 Oct 2011, 15:11
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
153 Experts publish their posts in the topic Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants cheetarah1980 1928 06 Jul 2011, 09:05
18 Experts publish their posts in the topic Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Waitlist Applicants scorpionz 453 16 Dec 2011, 17:54
3 Kellogg Part-time 2012 - Calling All Applicants dzyubam 18 08 Sep 2011, 01:39
Experts publish their posts in the topic Kellogg MMM 2012 - Calling All Applicants dzyubam 4 08 Sep 2011, 00:22
Kellogg (1-year) 2012 - Calling All Applicants dzyubam 15 06 Sep 2011, 03:39
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  97    Next  [ 1929 posts ] 

Moderator: DefyingGravity



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.