Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
MDF wrote:
pkatmi wrote:
MDF wrote:
Has anyone asked their recommenders to start their letters yet?

I want to give my recommenders at least 4 weeks. But with the possibility of the app not going live until late August, it would push back my LORs being submitted until maybe October. I plan on having my essays complete by mid August and I would really hate having to wait 2 more weeks for the app to go live and then another 4 weeks while my recommenders write their letters. This would mean that I'd be completely done with my app, but couldn't press submit for 30-45 days.

I'm thinking of giving my recommenders last year's LOR questions and asking them to go ahead and get started, so that when the app does go live, they can make a few adjustments if need be (if case there are any changes to this year's LOR questions), and hopefully have their LORs in by early September.

Does this sound reasonable? Any suggestions, ideas, or comments?

You do know that applications are not looked at before the deadline at K? I don't see any advantage of hitting submit on Sept 1st vs. Oct 18th. As long as you get in R1, you should be good.

You're absolutely right. But I still think there might be a slight advantage:

a) An earlier submit should place you further up in the queue. And in my personal opinion, I think you might have a better shot if you're the 53rd app reviewed opposed to the 948th. For instance, if you're a white male with a consulting background/730GMAT/3.5GPA, and they've already admitted 30 people with an identical profile earlier in that round, they might wait list you even though you may have made the cut had they reviewed your app earlier.

b) I can press submit and force myself to stop thinking about & tinkering with my app! :)

This is just my two cents, and you can take it or leave it. There is NO other candidate identical to you. NONE! It's your job to make the adcom see that. So whether you're the first application that's viewed or the 900th, they will NOT have seen you until they see YOU. You are way more than your stats. Sure there could be 500 White males with 720-740 GMAT scores, 3.5 GPAs, and a consulting background. But that's basic. Maybe you worked on a project that people at your level RARELY get access to? Maybe you're the oldest in a family of 12 and basically helped raise your siblings. Maybe you self-funded your entire undergrad education through part-time work and scholarships. Maybe you're a marathon runner or an avid hang glider. Maybe you're a 3rd degree black belt in tae kwon do. You might be a Big Brother who has had the same Little for 5 years and were instrumental in that child's growth. Maybe you organized a trip down to New Orleans right after Hurrican Katrina. Maybe you want to move from consulting into clean tech investing. Who the heck knows? My point is that itching to press send on the application probably won't give you the advantage you think it will. And the last person to submit may be the first person read. Remember apps are divided out by pools and then divided amongst readers within that pool. They could read them in alphabetical order for all you know. In the immortal words of Dwayne Wayne, "Relax, Relate, RELEASE!!"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.8
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I am in for R1...hoping for better luck this time having been WL and stayed on till June 20!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
This is just my two cents, and you can take it or leave it. There is NO other candidate identical to you. NONE! It's your job to make the adcom see that. So whether you're the first application that's viewed or the 900th, they will NOT have seen you until they see YOU. You are way more than your stats. Sure there could be 500 White males with 720-740 GMAT scores, 3.5 GPAs, and a consulting background. But that's basic. Maybe you worked on a project that people at your level RARELY get access to? Maybe you're the oldest in a family of 12 and basically helped raise your siblings. Maybe you self-funded your entire undergrad education through part-time work and scholarships. Maybe you're a marathon runner or an avid hang glider. Maybe you're a 3rd degree black belt in tae kwon do. You might be a Big Brother who has had the same Little for 5 years and were instrumental in that child's growth. Maybe you organized a trip down to New Orleans right after Hurrican Katrina. Maybe you want to move from consulting into clean tech investing. Who the heck knows? My point is that itching to press send on the application probably won't give you the advantage you think it will. And the last person to submit may be the first person read. Remember apps are divided out by pools and then divided amongst readers within that pool. They could read them in alphabetical order for all you know. In the immortal words of Dwayne Wayne, "Relax, Relate, RELEASE!!"

You make an extremely strong point here. I absolutely agree with you that an applicant is WAY more than his or her stats. And you're right, I don't know what order the applications will be read in--the answer to which could completely throw my earlier theory out the window. (And I should probably take your advice to 'Relax, Relate, RELEASE!!' :) )

However, I do know that despite every applicant being unique and having a completely different story, a lot (although not all) of applicants are still going to get lumped into a broad group of peers who share a similar professional background.

These schools have quotas to fill! For instance, if the school has 500 spots to fill, and the most qualified, unique, outstanding 500 applicants all come from a management consulting background, they'll feel obligated to reject a lot of those candidates, possibly for less accomplished ones, in order to achieve diversity within the class. They certainly don't want a class filled entirely with ex-management consultants, even if each of those consultants are extremely unique and different from each other on a more personal level. And furthermore, I believe that this desire to create a diverse class extends to applicants' ethnicity, gender, and post-grad goals among other things.

I think this is what really makes the top MBA programs so unique. It allows them to place students in incredibly diverse atmospheres where a student with an engineering background might be assigned to work on a case with a team consisting of a marine, a pro-athlete, an investment banker, and an entrepreneur. How cool is that!

So that said, I still think you are at an advantage if you're application is reviewed earlier rather than later for a couple reasons: 1) If you have a common pre-MBA professional background, you're background has a better chance to not be overrepresented yet, and 2) I think that adcoms are in a happier, and possibly more generous, mood at the beginning of the application cycle, before their mind has gone numb from reading hundreds, if not thousands, of essays!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing
GPA: 3.84
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
In for round 1!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 375 [0]
Given Kudos: 118
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
In for R1
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA Institute, MTA
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Columbia , MIT Sloan, Cornell, Chicago booth
 Q50  V35 GMAT 2: 740  Q51  V39
GPA: 2.9
WE 1: Business analyst
WE 2: Credit risk analyst
Send PM
Count me in for R1
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
I didn't copy all of the earlier posts because it was long, but re: submitting earlier before the deadline - regardless of when you submit, applications are reviewed in a random order, and aren't touched until after you complete your interview and the interviewer submits their feedback. After all that and the first reader finishes their review, it then goes to a second reader who also does a full review. Then it gets mixed with all the other files that have gone through 2 reviews and goes to the director of admissions to be read a 3rd time, and its only at this point that a final admit/deny/waitlist decision is made. Oh, and the first review is done by a student member of the adcom, all of whom will be at internships, KWEST and pre-term until mid-September? So bottom line: submit when you are ready. Submitting earlier or later in the round (as long as its before the deadline) has absolutely no impact on your chances of admission.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Darden - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE:Marketing (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
I promised I wouldn't start posting until I got that terrible GMAT out of the way.....

in for R1!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.72
Send PM
in for round 1!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
WE 1: Energy
Send PM
In for R1! Reapp.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GPA: 3.82
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
In for Rd. 1
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 387 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GPA: 8.7
WE 1: Software Design and Development
Send PM
I am in for R1..
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: ACCA
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Send PM
I am in for round 1
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
I'm in for R1
Intern
Intern
GPA: 4
Send PM
JD-MBA in for round one.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
In for R1!! Good luck everyone... :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
In for R1. Reapp from Fall 2010.
GMAT Club Bot