Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 13:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 76 [1] , given: 27

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2011, 03:31
This post received
KUDOS
pkatmi wrote:
I'm having a hard time finding the letter of recommendation questions. Can someone point me in the right direction. Thanks.

I e-mailed Kellogg admissions a month ago to ask them if the LOR questions for 2012 were released. The answer was no...my question and their response:

Question: Where can I find 'Letter of Recommendation' instructions so that my recommenders can get started? I have found a form for the part-time program (http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/par ... onForm.doc) but I am unable to find instructions for the full-time program. Any instruction or information would be appreciate.

Answer: This is a step in Part II of the application and will be available when the application is posted mid to late Aug

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 10:58
Does anyone know the quickest way to travel between Kellogg and Booth? I'm thinking of visiting both campuses in one day, but might only have about an hour to get from one to the other. Never been to Chicago, so I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2011, 11:03
bradysmallz wrote:
Does anyone know the quickest way to travel between Kellogg and Booth? I'm thinking of visiting both campuses in one day, but might only have about an hour to get from one to the other. Never been to Chicago, so I'd appreciate any help. Thanks.

Assuming you don't have a car, either a Taxi or the Metra. Taxi is going to run you about 30 bucks or so and it depends on traffic. I took the Metra from downtown to NW when I visited about a month ago. Took approx 30 minutes to get to Evanston and then its about a 15 minute walk to campus. Times for the train may impact your decision. I am sure a Chicago native on the board might have better insight.
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2011, 03:15
A taxi is going to cost more than 30 bucks - it costs that much just to get to the loop, then add in the additional distance to Hyde Park, you're probably looking more at 50ish. In terms of time, if you've only got an hour a taxi is probably the best bet. The Metra is a quick way to downtown, but I'm pretty sure you have to change trains to get to Hyde Park from Evanston and since the train only runs at most every 30 mins you'd have to time it nearly perfectly to get between the two in an hour.

It's a little misleading when people think that since both schools are in Chicago it's easy to get between the two of them. Since they're on opposite sides of the city, it's really about 20 miles between the campuses.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.1
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 14 [1] , given: 4

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2011, 04:15
This post received
KUDOS
The Kellogg application is now Live. Best of luck everyone !!!

http://pyarapopat.wordpress.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 27

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2011, 04:16
pyarapopat wrote:

Finally, thanks a lot!

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 401 [1] , given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2011, 04:40
This post received
KUDOS
pyarapopat wrote:

It's about damn time!

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.13
WE: Corporate Finance (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 46

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2011, 04:55
cheetarah1980 wrote:
pyarapopat wrote:

It's about damn time!

Took the words right out of my mouth!

Go Blue!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2011, 07:48
I see the LOR form is available now, but does anyone know how this gets submitted?

Do our recommenders get a link with text boxes to paste their answers into or can they upload a word document/PDF?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 6

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Aug 2011, 07:52
MDF wrote:
I see the LOR form is available now, but does anyone know how this gets submitted?

Do our recommenders get a link with text boxes to paste their answers into or can they upload a word document/PDF?

After filling out the recommenders information, they will be send an e-mail with instructions on how to access their account online. On the website, they will be asked to fill out a combination of questions and upload short answers/recommendation letter. The exact questions and mix will vary per school.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 10

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2011, 14:29
Where is ev1 planning to schedule their interviews, on campus or off it? Is there any advantage/disadvantage to be interviewed on campus by the adcom instead of by alumni somewhere else?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 7

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 11:21
golantrevize wrote:
Where is ev1 planning to schedule their interviews, on campus or off it? Is there any advantage/disadvantage to be interviewed on campus by the adcom instead of by alumni somewhere else?

The major difference is that an on-campus interview is being conducted by adcoms who conduct hundreds of interviews each year, while the off-campus interview will be with an alumni who may complete less than a two dozen interviews in a given year. That just lends itself to potentially unusual outcomes (i.e. alumni will all have different interview styles and are probably not as "standard" as the adcom).

Having said that, the difference can't be significant, especially if they require all applicants from Chicago to interview off-campus.

Have you visited the campus yet? If not, the on-campus interview could be a good opportunity to see the campus and sit in on a class.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 11:34
Does anyone know how hard it is to get off campus interviews in the Boston area? I have heard that Kellogg gets a lot of interview requests from the Boston area and a lot of people get interview waivers. I have to travel for two weeks starting mid September and I don't want to miss out on the opportunity to interview. Debating b/w on campus and off campus interviews. Any thoughts?
VP
VP
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 98

Kudos [?]: 401 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 12:18
I'm leaning toward interviewing on campus. I would like to sit in on a class, meet some students, and do a campus tour. I'm just unsure of when to do it. I would like to use insights gleaned from my visit in my essay, but I have no clue when I can find the time to get to Chicago in September.

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.7
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Health Care)

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2011, 17:44
If you are planning for an on campus interview then you can schedule it till Dec 3rd.

Can someone enlighten me on this:

Regarding the Recommendation forms. I am thinking about asking my recommender to write a general recommendation letter keeping in mind the questions asked and submit that. I am not sure if my manager would fill out different rec forms for different schools. Does anyone know if its ok to do this? Or is it important to fill out the rec form?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V40
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2011, 07:12
While I dont have any direct experience with this, I would recommend that your manager specifically responds to the questions they posed. What may help is if you create a document that gives him some anecdotes (to jog his memory) he can use to respond to each question in his own words.
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2011, 15:20
Just catching up after a few days without power thanks to Irene. Regarding on/off campus interviews: both are viewed equally by the adcom, so it's not that travelling to Evanston for an on-campus interview gives you a leg up. On campus interviews do tend to be a bit more predictable in terms of length (mostly because they tend to be scheduled back to back, whereas an alumni may only have 1 interview to do that day). There are certainly benefits to being on campus (the class visit program, lunch with students, etc.), but you do take the chance of interviewing with an admissions staffer who may not be able to answer questions from the student perspective, whereas off-campus interviews you get an alumni. So really it comes down to personal choice and access to on-campus, in the end it won't benefit or hurt you to choose one over the other.

Re recommendation letters: I would strongly suggest not asking your boss to write a general recommendation letter. Each school looks for subtly different characteristics in their students, which are reflected in the questions they ask of recommenders. A general recommendation letter runs the risk of sounding generic and really not helping to differentiate you from the 1000s of other applicants.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GPA: 3.76
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2011, 06:55
Can someone please post the Fall 2012 LOR questions? Much appreciated
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Sep 2011, 07:49
mbain2012a wrote:
Can someone please post the Fall 2012 LOR questions? Much appreciated

The form itself is now available in Part 1 of the application. Log in and select 'downloadable forms.'

But the general questions from that form are:

Quote:
1. Please comment on the candidate’s career performance and impact on the organization. Cite specific examples (e.g., ranking relative to others in the industry, progression within the organization, evidence of initiative and goal orientation).
2. Evaluate the candidate’s demonstrated leadership and potential (e.g., ability to influence others and advocate for his/her ideas, smart risks he/she has taken, ability to deal with ambiguity).
3. What do you perceive as the candidate’s weaknesses? Provide an example of how the candidate has dealt with constructive feedback and made efforts to address these weaknesses.
4. What observations do you have about the candidate’s interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate with and support others (e.g., maturity, self-awareness, listening skills, sense of humor, respect for different viewpoints)?
5. Please comment on the candidate’s intellectual and problem-solving abilities (e.g., analytical and quantitative skills, creativity, curiosity).

Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg MMM
WE 1: Oil/ Energy- construction
WE 2: Power/ Energy- R&D

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Sep 2011, 20:31
Hi everybody, I am in for R1.

I am struggling with essay 3.

Assume you are evaluating your application from the perspective of a student member of the Kellogg Admissions Committee. Why would you and your peers select you for admission, and what impact would you make as a member of the Kellogg community? (600 word limit).

It's becoming very difficult for me to get a correct approach for this question.
Can I state new experiences, which I have not mentioned in any other essay.
Using a third party perspective :x , In this case, I can't explain other good experiences which are just summarized
in my resume.
The answer will become like this.
This person have good xyz skills. So, he should be taken :-D
I am really confused.
What's your approach to this essay ?
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2012 Applicants!   [#permalink] 02 Sep 2011, 20:31