Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.13
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Re: Kellogg 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
Just tried checking my status and got this weird test window where I can play with the setting and see what messages the system tells users. VERY weird.... hope it's just a glitch in the system.... but just in case I found a magical noob hack I set it to "Admit" ;)
Attachments

Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg [ 117.99 KiB | Viewed 3469 times ]

Own Kudos [?]: [1]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Kudos
yellosno wrote:
Just tried checking my status and got this weird test window where I can play with the setting and see what messages the system tells users. VERY weird.... hope it's just a glitch in the system.... but just in case I found a magical noob hack I set it to "Admit" ;)

Just got the same thing. Definitely left it on Admit before logging off.
VP
VP
Send PM
Kudos
healthcareguy wrote:
All you fine ladies and gentlemen, Happy New Year! I hope 2012 brings a flood of acceptance letters to all of us.

Now, that I have buttered you up, I need your opinion on the notorious Essay#3. I know there is more than one way to skin the metaphorical cat but this is what I have chosen:
- Write in the first person
- Do not introduce any new material but instead, refine and digest the information already presented in a more explicit manner. In other words, reveal the general themes of the application while trying not to be repetitive.

But here's the question: While answering the "impact" portion, are we still expected to assume we're a student AdCom member? As in, what would I as a student AdCom member think my impact will be?

Sorry if this is a little confusing. The way I have it now, I just answer that portion as a regular essay question, as myself (not as my AdCom alter-ego) but it just occurred to me I might have it wrong. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

ps: This is driving me nuts.

You approached this essay exactly the way I did. I did the "impact" section from my own perspective. I took a couple of past experiences and showed how I could draw upon them to make an impact on campus. For example, "I organized a conference at work so I can help organize the African Business Conference. I am a really slow distance runner. I can lead the slow group in the Run|Bike|Swim Club."

This allowed me to continue to frame up things I mentioned in other areas of the app (resume, application, essays) to connect them to what I could do at Kellogg.

Good luck!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
^ I'm glad to hear that. Thank you cheetarah, you're always so helpful!
VP
VP
Send PM
Kudos
adhiraj wrote:
Hi,

I intend to submit my application by end of this week but i am a little confused about the deadline.
If i submit my application by Jan 10th, will my application be considered in Round 2 or Round 3 ??

Thanks.

If you submit Part II by January 10 your application will be considered in Round 2
VP
VP
Send PM
Kudos
bschoolapp8 wrote:
Hi Folks,

I was wondering what kind of information to include in Essay# 5 (optional essay). The topic suggests one must explain extenuating circumstances (academic performance, recommendation letter, gaps in employment etc). I am considering writing about my choice of recommenders. Is this a good place to talk about other parts of application I couldn't fit into other essays? Any advice on how to approach this essay?

Thanks!

Use the optional essay for what they state. It is not a place for the overflow from the previous essays. They give 2200 words between four essays for you to discuss how great you are.

Now when explaining your choice of recommenders you might be able to sneak in an additional selling point or two. Example: "I did not get a letter of recommendation from my direct supervisor because it could jeopardize my employment. Instead, I asked Billy Joe Bob Henry because he has seen my professional growth over the last 3 years as I went from apprentice to master of the universe in charge of dozens of mnions."

See how I snuck that in there?
VP
VP
Send PM
Kudos
dhrupadk wrote:
Kellogg is unique in its two part application process. I am working on applying for round two in the next 3 days but i could not apply in time for the part 1 deadline. What does this mean for me, since I am in India ? :?

It means that you missed the deadline for requesting an off-campus interview. Unless you want to waive your interview yourself you will need to schedule an on-campus interview.

If you can't make it to the US for an interview I would submit Part I immediately and e-mail the admissions office to gauge whether or not they can accommodate it. What will likely happen even if they allow you to request the off-campus interview option is that you will initially receive an interview waiver from Kellogg so they can start reviewing your application. Once they have reviewed your app they will decide whether or not to invite you for an alumni interview or a Skype interview with adcom. Hope this helps.
VP
VP
Send PM
Kudos
I know that there are always a bunch of questions swirling around about which type of interview is best: alumni/student/adcom. There's always so much speculation, especially around decision time and it tends to fuel unnecessary paranoia (remember the day admit calls started and folks were positive they were being done in alphabetical order and were freaking out if their last names started w/ A-D). Maybe if the admitted students could post the following information it would show the R2 applicants that who you interview with and when does not determine your chances of getting in or when you'll be notified.

1) student/alum/adcom
2) interview date
3) date aprox time you were notified of admission

For me it was the following:
1) 1st year student interview
2) November 5, 2011
3) Dec. 13, 2011 around 4:05 p.m.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
healthcareguy wrote:
nath99 wrote:
In for R2. Submitted my app on Friday and had my interview on Friday as well.

Sorry to jump the gun. Just wondering when do we start hearing from them about final decisions.

Thanks
Nath

I'm not sure but I wouldn't hold my breath. Final decisions for R1 were released only three-ish weeks ago.

By the way, if you interviewed off campus, did you submit Part 1 ahead of the Dec 14th deadline? I submitted my application right on the deadline and haven't heard from them yet...

Thanks,

I submitted my part 1 couple of days before 14th Dec, heard about interview in late December.

Interview:
Alumni, off campus.
Duration: 1hr 10min
Questions:
- Why Kellogg?
- Why now?
- Plans post MBA?
- What do you do outside of work?
- How will you contribute to your classmates?

Overall very conversational, the alumni was very friendly and we connected well.

Thanks
Nath
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks, Nath! If you could hold your own for over an hour, you must have done pretty well.

mbarealestate, I think you're right. During my campus visit, the Admissions lady kind of underplayed the need for extracurriculars when she was talking about what they value at Kellogg. She stressed how much they value work experience and said something like "If you have significant ECs that's great but if not, that's fine too. Just explain to us what kind of ECs you would be interested at Kellogg and why."

The fact that Kellogg has a reputation of being an "older" school (folks with more work ex) kinds of fits in with this as well.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Dear Kellogg AdCom, can we ease up on the marketing emails please? Some of us get heart palpitations every time we see the word "Kellogg" in our email inbox. Gracias.

ps: Admit me and I will do your laundry for a week. Ok for a year. Ok two years. lol
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
GPA: 3.6
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
taffy97 wrote:
spivey181 wrote:
taffy97 wrote:
My interview is on Jan 28 as well..
Will the interviewer have access to my application package including essays..?

No, the interviewer will just have your resume (which you send them) and your interview itself as data points. They will not read your essays or application.

Thanks a lot for the info, spivey181! Have you decided on which school you are matriculating by the way?

No, right now I am deciding how to split the admitted students' weekend, since both Kellogg and Booth have it on Feb 10-11.

I am also waiting to hear from MIT and HBS (applied R2).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
healthcareguy wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:
bschoolapp8 wrote:
I have an interview on-campus this Friday and am planning to fly in from southern cal on Wednesday night and spend Thursday and Friday at Kellogg. If anyone else is planning to visit during these two days, please pm me. I plan to sit in a class and attend the info session. Any other suggestions on things to do while at Kellogg? Cheers!

Go eat at Prairie Moon. It's amazing! And there's this little spot called Clarkes that serves really good breakfast. Oh and if you can sneak into the Allen Center be sure to check out the cheese bar. We're talking brie, gouda, dill havarti, the works...and served on those toasted baguette crustini things. So delicious! Enjoy!

And if you need to grab a quick bite at school, the stir fry at Jacobs is pretty awesome too.

Thanks guys for all the recommendations for places to eat in Evanston. I'm flying back to southern cal on saturday morning and did consider a day trip to Chicago but looks like it is extremely cold this weekend :(
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Chartered Engineer
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: INSEAD - Class of 2013
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Just completed my Kellogg Alum interview here in Dubai. I felt that I was over prepared for the interview! The alum just asked me 5 questions: Run me through ur resume, why mba, why kellogg , what do you plan to learn at Kellogg and what would you contribute to Kellogg.

I made a note of all the Kellogg interview questions and made detailed answers to each and everyone and as a result I am a bit disappointed that the interview didn't last that long and the alum didn't dig more into me. He didn't even take notes, so I am worried that he will not make a strong case for me to the adcoms. But all along he was very informal, made me comfortable and was impressed by my knowledge about Kellogg and my carrier progression till date . It was actually like an interaction session, with him asking me to ask more and more questions.

I only prepared some 3-4 questions that I planned to ask and hence was not sure what to ask after I asked those 3-4 questions.

The waiting game starts now! Hope I can squeeze in one more interview call.

Good luck to every one else who are interviewing!

I am posting all the questions I gathered from the net for prospective applicants who still have got their interview to be completed.

1. Please walk me through your resume starting with your undergraduate school
2. Who was one of your mentors throughout your time at your first position?
3. If your mentor were to tell you to accomplish 1 thing for 2012, what would it be?
4. What are your short term and long term goals?
5. Why MBA at this point in your career?
6. Why Kellogg?
7. If you didn't get X job (from my short-term goals), where would you like to work instead?
8. What is your leadership style? What do you think are the most important quality that a leader should have?
9. Tell me about a time when you and your team members had conflicting ideas. How did you solve it?
10. What other B-schools have you applied to? How can I be sure that you would pick Kellogg if you were to be admitted?
11. Any failures you have experienced as a team and how you handled it.
12. What is your favorite aspect of your job?
13. What would your teammates say about you?
14. What is one negative thing they would say about you?
15. Is there anything you would like to point out that is negative within your application?
16. Describe professional accomplishments, why important?
17. What would teammates say are 3 strengths
18. What would teammates say is 1 weakness
19. What do you struggle with while managing people?
20. what role would you play in your peer group.
21. What is one misconception people could have about you?
22. What will you bring to Kellogg?
23. Which other schools have you applied to?
24. What is a weakness in your application
25. What are my other interests?
26. examples of leadership abilities and what leadership abilities I want to get out of school ( I suppose most of this comes out of the essay anyways)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.72
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
mattapraveen wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:

Getting a waiver is not a bad thing. It is not an indication of how Kellogg views anyone's candidacy. In fact, prior to issuing a waiver Kellogg has not even read the application. They issue waivers so that they can read the application w/out the interview. I would say that the majority of people who receive waivers later get invited for an interview.

Err on the side of ethics and inform Kellogg if they do assign you to an alum that you already know. They will find someone else or schedule a skype interview with an adcom.

Too late! Interview already complete. I met the alum at the Kellogg admissions event here in Dubai, so its pretty obvious that many of the applicants would have met him and conversed with him and its pretty obvious to the adcom also that many of the prospective applicants would have turned up at the admissions event and many alums would also have turned up and conversed with the prospective applicants.

If there should be no prior contact with the alum who is interviewing, then the whole set of alums who were present for the admissions event cant interview the applicants and that would completely make a huge chunk of Alums in-eligible to interview!. So the adcoms are pretty much aware of the alums at the admissions event interviewing the applicants who attended the admissions event. So, conclusion: No ethics violation here :).

Nevertheless, My interview is done and dusted! I cant do much but for wait. :)

I see that you have got into Kellogg and dropped in apps for R2. Is kellogg not your first choice?

Not that you need my blessing, but having met an interviewer before at an admissions event is not the same as "knowing" the person. "Knowing" the interviewer implies you are friends with him/her or worked with him/her before, which could give you an unfair advantage. I'm not sure there is an ethics problem in either case as long as your interviewer is objective (but that is on the interviewer not you), but there certainly isn't an issue if you met the person before at an admissions event.

Congrats on being done with your interview. I finished mine last week. Now the long wait.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Might be of interest to you guys that a couple of folks are reporting to have been admitted today from the waitlist..
VP
VP
Send PM
Kudos
mattapraveen wrote:
cheetarah1980 wrote:

Getting a waiver is not a bad thing. It is not an indication of how Kellogg views anyone's candidacy. In fact, prior to issuing a waiver Kellogg has not even read the application. They issue waivers so that they can read the application w/out the interview. I would say that the majority of people who receive waivers later get invited for an interview.

Err on the side of ethics and inform Kellogg if they do assign you to an alum that you already know. They will find someone else or schedule a skype interview with an adcom.

Too late! Interview already complete. I met the alum at the Kellogg admissions event here in Dubai, so its pretty obvious that many of the applicants would have met him and conversed with him and its pretty obvious to the adcom also that many of the prospective applicants would have turned up at the admissions event and many alums would also have turned up and conversed with the prospective applicants.

If there should be no prior contact with the alum who is interviewing, then the whole set of alums who were present for the admissions event cant interview the applicants and that would completely make a huge chunk of Alums in-eligible to interview!. So the adcoms are pretty much aware of the alums at the admissions event interviewing the applicants who attended the admissions event. So, conclusion: No ethics violation here :).

Nevertheless, My interview is done and dusted! I cant do much but for wait. :)

I see that you have got into Kellogg and dropped in apps for R2. Is kellogg not your first choice?

Oh I don't think that an applicant and alum interviewer should have had no prior contact. I interpreted the question to mean a deeper relationship. Like a coworker or school friend. An alum that folks meet at an admissions event doesn't really count as a personal contact, ya know. I was moreso referring to a situation where you had more of an associate/friend relationship with a potential interviewer. Plus I was moreso responding to the idea that receiving a waiver was something negative.

As for submitting R2 apps after the R1 Kellogg admit, it's in no way reflective of my impression of Kellogg. I simply do not have a first choice school. I chose schools that I would love to go to and decided to divide my apps between rounds to manage the workload. Although I got the Kellogg admit prior to R2 apps I felt that I may later regret not applying elsewhere just for peace of mind that I'm truly ending up at the right school. If I don't get in anywhere else I am beyond happy to go to Kellogg. If I get into any of my R2 schools I will choose where to go based on the financial aid packages and how I feel at admitted students weekend. There is a very good chance that when the dust settles I will end up going to Kellogg.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  97   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts