Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 05:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Kellogg JD-MBA Admits Class of 2013

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Calling all Kellogg JD-MBA Admits Class of 2013 [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2011, 14:29
Just got in off the waitlist and I'm super stoked! Are the admitted JD/MBA's planning on attending admit weekend at Northwestern Law, at Kellogg, or at both?
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS Class of 2013
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg JD-MBA Admits [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2011, 17:24
First off CONGRATULATIONS!!! Kellogg baby... did you get in off the waitilist today? Wonder if that means R2 decisions will start rolling on monday.
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Kellogg JD-MBA Admits [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2011, 23:26
I actually found out February 23. Just waited this long to ask. R2 admits will come out a week before....so probably this week?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg JD-MBA Admits [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2011, 12:32
Did you notice if JD/MBA decisions came out randomly through the broader Kellogg notification process, or if they were clustered together?
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS (R2 - int); Kellogg (Admit!); Wharton (ding w/int); Fuqua (Admit!); Stanford (R2-???)
WE 1: 11 yrs public policy/int'l affairs

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Kellogg JD-MBA Admits [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2011, 03:27
The JD-MBA decisions seem to have been random. I just got my admit email last night (5:30 PM Chicago time), but I saw others were accepted days ago.

Separately, any other JD-MBA admits just now realizing that financial aid is done through the law school? I'm scrambling to submit my additional paperwork but worry I may be excluded from consideration for scholarships/grants. Anyone know the details on this?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg JD-MBA Admits [#permalink] New post 24 Mar 2011, 10:12
My understanding is that if everything is submitted by the 28th, we will still be considered for scholarships, etc. However, since the law school students received their notifications before we did, I don't know how much would be remaining. Perhaps there are certain funds allocated to JD/MBA students?

As for admitted students weekend, my plan is to attend the law school event rather than DAK.
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford, Wharton, Yale (all dinged w/o int.) Cornell admit (R1 with $$) NU JDMBA admit (R2) Tuck WL (R2)
WE 1: corporate lawyer 5y

Re: Calling all Kellogg JD-MBA Admits [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2011, 01:13
I'm also in Kellogg JD-MBA. Will attend DAK and take an individual campus visit to Law School on the 14th. Hope to see you guys there!

R1: Stanford, Wharton, Yale: all dinged w/o int. Cornell admit w/ $$.
R2: NU JDMBA: admit, Tuck: WL
Int. Applicant
GMAT: 760
Corporate Lawyer 5y

Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Kellogg JD-MBA Admits [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2011, 08:21
First of all, congrats everyone!! I'm a big fan of Kellogg, and am debating whether to apply to the JD-MBA program or just the 2-yr MBA program in the next application season.

I never intend to practice law, so JD is the icing on the cake. (I also don't want to study for the LSAT, so NW is the only JDMBA program on the table, in addition to the MBA-only programs.) I like the additional JD for intellectual reasons and for the credibility it brings in the business world. But I've also heard sound arguments against it:

0. Tuition & expenses: the extra year will cost me at least another 75k
1. Opportunity cost: if someone is determined on the JD and is considering adding the MBA, doing so adds no opportunity cost and might be worth a try. But for people like me, the 3-yr JDMBA means one additional year's forgone salary compared to the other 2-yr MBA programs.
2. Benefits are not quantifiable: Since I don't intend to practice law, I will be competing with the Kellogg students. I'll get the same salary for the same position. Despite of having 75k more in debt, I'll be treated like a regular Kellogg MBA in the job market.
3. The chances of being at the top of class (from an uncle who has a JD from a top law school): Law school is a lot of work. I had no problem in college getting A's on the bell curve, but most of the other kids in college didn't treat schoolwork as a full-time job. Everyone in a top law school does, therefore I'll be working my butt off for a degree that's not even required for my post-MBA job.

At the end of the day, if debt was not such a huge issue, I think I will enjoy law school (even 1L) even just for its own sake. A question for you guys: Did you get scholarship generous enough to cover at least the extra year's tuition?

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V40
WE: Manufacturing and Production (Other)

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Calling all Kellogg JD-MBA Admits Class of 2013 [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2012, 08:46
Hello all,

For those of you who were admitted to the Kellogg JD/MBA program, do you have any words of advise? What were your GMAT scores? Did you find the competition to be extremely fierce?

"All that is really worthwhile is action. Personal success or personal satisfaction are not worth another thought."
-Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Re: Calling all Kellogg JD-MBA Admits Class of 2013   [#permalink] 17 Mar 2012, 08:46