Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Nov 2014, 16:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

LBS 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 36 [2] , given: 29

LBS 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2011, 07:51
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED

London Business School MBA - Fall 2012

LBS Business School Guide

London Business School Applicant Summary (Real Time)

Current batch of GMAT Club members vs. Class of 2013

Application Tracker Feed

Detailed Applicant List: Add Yourself to This List (add LBS to your profile)

GMAT Club's Real-time Admissions Statistics

Add Your Profile to This List
Questions about this Roll Call?

LBS Interview Invites Summary:

Some helpful links:
LBS MBA Website: http://www.london.edu/programmes/mba.html

Important Dates
StageApplication deadlineInterview decision sent onAdmission decision sent on
105 October 201104 November 201140892
24091310 February 201229 March 2012
34096905 April 201215 May 2012
418 April 201225 May 201228 June 2012

Essay Topics

http://www.london.edu/programmes/mba/applying.html

Question 1 (500 words)

Please discuss your career progress to date and explain why now is the right time to undertake an MBA at London Business School?

Question 2 (300 words)

Where do you see your career progressing five years after graduation and what is your longer term career vision?

Question 3 (250 words)

Give a specific example of when you have had to test your leadership and team working skills. Given this experience what role will you play in a first year study group?

Question 4 (300 words)

Student involvement is an extremely important part of the London Business School MBA experience and this is reflected in the character of students on campus. Please describe how you will contribute to student clubs and the community and why?

Question 5 (250 words)

London Business School offers a truly global and diverse experience. Describe any significant experiences outside of your home country or culture. What did you gain and how will your experience contribute to London Business School?

Question 6 (250 words)

Considering what you have already included in the application, what else would you like to tell us about yourself? You can approach this question however you like.

Question 7 (300 words)
(This question is for re-applicants only)

How has your candidacy for the London Business School MBA improved since your last application? Have your views of London Business School or the MBA programme changed since you last applied?

Additional Information
(This question is optional)

This is not a compulsory essay but please complete if you would like the opportunity to clarify or expand upon any information submitted in your application.

The Interview

Congratulations for being invited to interview with LBS! Here you will find some helpful hints and information on the LBS interview, which I personally found very useful.

http://www.clearadmit.com/wiki/index.ph ... nInterview

Last edited by rasta on 25 Dec 2011, 10:27, edited 11 times in total.
Updated
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
7 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [7] , given: 0

Re: LBS 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2012, 13:53
This post received
KUDOS
Visa Issues / Bank Loan

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to get a confirmation/opinion on visa issues.

It seems to me that schools are not 100% straight forward in advising about the difficulties posed in staying/working, post studies, in the UK if one is not from European Union. The changes in the UK immigration law which come into effect from this year means that to be able to work in the UK one must be sponsored by an employer.

Now, for big banks and big consultancies, they have big HR set up to deal with the UKBA. But even in their case, they have to prove that they couldn't fill those vacancies with UK/EU nationals who have the right to work in the UK. This simply implies non-EU graduates stand second in line behind EU graduates during the recruitment process. Schools will never explicitly say that.

I am sure most of us have heard of the cuts in banking sector in London in the last quarter of 2011 and proposed cuts over the next 2-4years due to changes in the banking sector regulation proposed by the government. Most of it imply that the investment banking/ trading activities will be curtailed severely and hence result in a large chunk of jobs ( and the ones most sought after by MBAs) being lost.

School recruitment committees are dismissive of these facts (government regulation / banking job losses) as cyclical issues. However, its not....anyone who pays attention to market dynamics and to whats happening knows the regulation being pushed by the UK government are radical and will take at least 5 years to be implemented and are once in an era or generation thing. They are bound to curtail the London finance sector in a big way in the coming years. And thats why the government is trying extremely hard to prop up other sectors in london (east london specifically) and move away from london's / UK's reliance on finance.

My interactions with alumni reveal that a lot of graduates in the past got jobs in small private equity firms/ hedge funds/ boutique consultancies. These are small set-up but offer most lucrative opportunities. As such, they are lean and busy, and hardly want to bother with unnecessary bureaucratic hurdles in one of the least important chores - recruiting an MBA graduate. In case they do agree to recruit a non-EU candidate, they will have to once again prove non-availability of UK/EU national to do the same work.

Now speaking to alumni, it appears that its not as easy as appearing for the interview at the campus and walking out with a job offer. Its a real slog and lots of luck. They say (again in confidence) most of the jobs simply wouldn't be available if the firms are going to need to overcome this barrier - simply because, the supply(UK/EU candidates) far exceeds the demand.
This huge supply compared to contracting demand factor, in fact, is one of the reason that the UK government has made changes to its immigration policy to curb foreigners from getting jobs. Schools might try to give it a spin by saying "we are working with employers to make them understand the new rules" but the reality is rules have become more stringent and are aimed at preventing/making it more difficult for foreign students from taking up jobs in the UK.

As for past year statistics on jobs, they will be rendered mostly invalid for future job prospects given the changes underway. Even in its present form, most of us should know how they are manipulated with things like purchasing power parity, etc. to come out on top of rankings table.

Loans:
Banks know that given the future difficult, if not impossible, job/visa scenario, giving loans to foreign students is stupid. That is why HSBC withdrew its MBA loan scheme, which it had run for a number of years, in the middle/peak of admissions season. And that too, just before the visa changes come into play. They know the potential of that loan to turn into a bad asset is very high. You might still get a loan from some other source but obviously not from a bank which has a much superior risk assessment methodology.

Now the cost of MBA + living/other expense = 85k pounds. With no guarantee of any good future job prospects.

I am sure about some will get good jobs anyways. But what about the rest. What is promised is despair, uncertainty and insecurity at a very cheap price of $135k. Now that is a bargain , isn' it?

Sorry, if I sounded cynical or too critical here. I spoke (in confidence) to a number of Alumni recently. My impressions of those conversations is what I reflect here.

Last edited by wheretogo on 01 Apr 2012, 11:49, edited 5 times in total.
5 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 28 [5] , given: 1

Re: LBS 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2012, 17:20
This post received
KUDOS
Just a few observations based on reading the posts from the last couple days:

1. Wheretogo and ArnoldTW joined Gmatclub on Mar 30, 2012 and Mar 31, 2012, respectively;
2. Both Wheretogo and ArnoldTW had only 3 posts in total on gmatclub and all 'their' posts are in the LBS thread;
3. ArnoldTW consistently referred to things posted by Wheretogo;
4. Posts by both Wheretogo and ArnoldTW consist of similar grammar errors; and
5. We all know that LBS just released their R2 decision last Thurs and the waitlist process at LBS is extremely painful. In addition, the more admitted people who decided to turn down their offers, the higher chance waitlisters can get in.

Just my 2 cents.
5 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: General Management, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 19 [5] , given: 4

Re: LBS 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2012, 05:56
This post received
KUDOS
Received my offer pack via DHL today :)
Attachments

IMG_4150.JPG
IMG_4150.JPG [ 1.75 MiB | Viewed 6265 times ]

IMG_4144.JPG
IMG_4144.JPG [ 2.25 MiB | Viewed 6277 times ]

4 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 50 [4] , given: 3

Re: Calling all London Business School 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2011, 14:44
This post received
KUDOS
Hi all,

LBS orientation for the class of 2013 started today, here are some stats:

Class Size: 405
Average age: 29
Average work experience: 5.7 years
Average GMAT: 700
Nationalities: around 65 (can't remember exact number)
4 KUDOS received
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [4] , given: 6

Re: LBS 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 09 Feb 2012, 19:55
This post received
KUDOS
harh12 wrote:
its been 3 years and I only have dings... i have 5 yrs we, 710 gmat, very decent acads and 3 promotions in last 5 years ... guys can u suggest which college I should apply to... only condition is that I need like full financing without any co signor and looking for a good college with job prospects.

Help would be really beneficial.

Well hopefully this will make you feel 'less' bad - I have 6 years WE across 2 of the best financial firms, 740 GMAT, 5 promotions till date (I now manage a team), was a rank-holder in India's best commerce college where I majored in Economics and I already have straight dings from Cambridge and INSEAD. Life is tough buddy. LBS is my last shot at MBA. But that's the key word right there - 'at MBA'. There is whole lot else in life beside an MBA.
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 11 [4] , given: 0

Re: LBS 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 31 Mar 2012, 00:34
This post received
KUDOS
Guys,

Just came across this at bloomberg businessweek this morning. You can read the whole article on businessweek website.

MBA Journal: Farewell, London
By Isaac Iglesias on March 01, 2012 Tweet Facebook LinkedIn Google Plus 1 Comment
Related

MBA Jobs Outlook: Cloudy at Best

My exchange experience in London has come to an end and it is time to return to Shanghai for a final term at CEIBS. My time at London Business School has exceeded my expectations, though the economic woes in the ‘old continent’ never end and inevitably diminish the mood on campus. Despite the lack of optimism, I think the new colleagues I leave behind in Europe will do well. Their skills and experience have impressed me.

While clubs and the night life are intriguing, B-schoolers are earning degrees to get jobs. Things are more difficult than in the pre-crisis years, so LBS career-services staffers approach the MBA job hunt a little differently. They work hard but are also realistic about managing the expectations of students. They realize that personal networking is vital to landing a good job in a solid company. Despite the efforts, help, and professionalism offered by career services, some students in LBS are still struggling to find their dream job. I am sure they eventually will do so.

My colleagues on the other side of the world in Shanghai are much happier about their job prospects. CEIBS is welcoming more companies with exceptional reputations than in any prior year, and students are finding more and better-paid jobs than their predecessors did. In these ever-more-uncertain times, I would advise readers considering an MBA to be extra-careful about its timing, location, and economics.

Things in Europe, as we all know, still look pretty grim. My native Spain is struggling immensely, as are most of our neighbors. The U.K., while trying to protect the autonomy of the City of London, has caused a major stir in the already fragile unity of the EU. In this year of the Olympics and the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee, the mood in London has not been that cheerful. The eyes of the world are looking at Europe for hope of a better tomorrow. For the sake of my friends at LBS, I hope things improve. I will soon be starting my final term at CEIBS, but my eyes will be fixed on Europe.

In between journal entries, you can keep track of Isaac’s business school adventures at the Business Schools Facebook page. Follow the Bloomberg Businessweek B-Schools team on Twitter.

After five years in finance, Iglesias was ready for business school. He did not want the typical experience, and he planned to add a sixth language to his resume. He already speaks Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, and English. In an attempt to raise his international profile, he is in earning his MBA in China at CEIBS (CEIBS Full-Time MBA Profile), China Europe International Business School, where he is learning Chinese
.[/quote]
Basically, it just reiterates what I posted earlier regarding the reality and spin at LBS.

Last edited by wheretogo on 31 Mar 2012, 04:57, edited 2 times in total.
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [3] , given: 0

Re: LBS 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2012, 07:44
This post received
KUDOS
To Sofla and lepatron,

some quick replies:

1. I saw the LBS 2011 employment report out there on another thread, which would be more accurate than my very anecdotal evidence.

2. Also, the lag between this year's hiring and the 2014s is going to be 2 years, not sure where the world will go in that time. Banking is clearly not in a good state now, and certain sectors weren't hiring. Will it recover in 2 year's time? Consulting hiring is very healthy now (and I'll be heading that route), will it be healthy in a year or two? PE/VC traditionally is a much smaller pool of recruits to begin with than banking (many that start out thinking they want to do PEVC end up switching to something else). London is a good route to pursue that, especially with some of the mid-cap firms, but again, my rough sense is that things are not so great at the moment.

The impact of the UK visa issue is still not certain because it hasn't kicked in yet, but definitely some form of negative impact.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is quite hard to distinguish global effects from local (London) effects at the moment, given the state of flux. That said, most people have found jobs, will find jobs

3. I'd say the key difference between LBS and the US schools is the diversity in the student body, and of course, the location. Diversity drives better performance, if the academic research is to be believed, and LBS has had great results at the different MBA competitions. This diversity (not just nationality, but also in terms of work experience and age) extends from outlook to implementation styles. Thus you can go from an observation of "that's cool/interesting" to "that's actually a way that I never thought about, and is likely better".

Within the US schools, I would generalise that fit in terms of location, class size, emphasis/focus would be the differentiators. My friends really loved their exchange but all said - "After comparison, I'm very happy with LBS". I don't think that anyone had bad things to say - as has been said often, these are all great choices, pick the one that is right for you.

The exchange is a good opportunity to really explore other options, and not feel buyer's remorse. That said, I'm certain the people that came on exchange here felt very happy with their own parent school choice, and just appreciated having a chance to hang out in London for a few months.

In terms of impressions of schools, especially the ones you mention, I think that some of the generalisations play out - great academics and some superstar professors, but the rest of the impression is due to fit factors - smaller size=more collegial, bigger size=more transactional, some schools are more theoretical, and also strength of parent institution.

Hope that helps.
3 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [3] , given: 0

Re: LBS 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2012, 22:47
This post received
KUDOS
Hi funk,

Exchange is really great fun. About 35-40% of the students here avail themselves to the exchange opportunity.

Timing: This takes place in the second year, either fall or spring term, depending on which school you applied to. Some schools have choices of when to go, others, such as the one I went to, don't.

Application: This is done internally within the school, and depends on things such as supply of slots/demand for said slots, results, and an essay to the LBS office on why you want to go to that school.

Courses: Generally they treat exchange students well, so my friends had a ton of credits to get into the star professor's classes. All this is no extra cost.

That said, one question you didn't ask that may be pertinent is impact of exchange timing on recruiting. That said, my friends on exchange with me still did the standard recruiting from LBS, without too much impact (other than having to fly for final round interviews, which they would have had to do anyway, as these weren't always in London).

This is the best way to see another place in a safe way, with a large group of friends (think China, HK, South America, Spain) etc. especially if you aren't too familiar with the language. If you have interest in working in target country, so much the better, in terms of recruitment.

Hope that helps.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '14 (A)

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 0

Re: LBS 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2011, 17:27
This post received
KUDOS
my interviewer called me and congratulated me, and offered to take me to diner on LBS's tab! classy
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 8 [2] , given: 0

Re: LBS 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2012, 22:09
This post received
KUDOS
Hi guys and gals,

Wow, it's been almost a year and a half since I last logged in to this forum when I was also going through the painful process of applying for the MBA (saw a mention of GMAT Club, and this seemed like a more interesting diversion than work at 630am).

Good luck to everyone who is still in the race!

For myself, I'm a current LBS student, graduating soon. I found GMAT Club really useful for the application process - misery loves company =0

At that time, I had admits from LBS and Wharton, and had talked to many other people before coming to a decision.

If any admits or future applicants are considering options between schools and are considering LBS, I'd be glad to share more about my experience here, as well as what I've heard from those that have gone on exchange at the other likely target schools (Booth, Wharton, Columbia, Sloan, Haas, Kellogg - but please don't ask me to elaborate too much on them, since I didn't actually attend these other schools).

Also, while it seems really far away, the value of the MBA is primarily on the exit opportunities offered than the actual entry, so what my class-mates will be doing when they graduate should possibly be factored into the decision-making process as well.

All best!
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 36 [2] , given: 25

Re: LBS 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2012, 20:34
This post received
KUDOS
Pedpt wrote:
Libraal,

Did they mention the scholarship attribution criteria?

Does anyone have info about the scholarships amount?

Cheers

all amount are quantified here: http://www.london.edu/programmes/mba/scholarships.html
plus/minus, but it is likely to be something like mentioned at the website. My guess re attribution criteria is in the post above

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [2] , given: 1

Re: LBS 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Apr 2012, 12:23
This post received
KUDOS
I see 436 MBA 2014 admits (including the ones starting Aug 2012 and Jan 2013). Seems reasonable since they'll for sure admit at least 25% more than 400, which is the class size of MBA2013 (that's assuming a yield of 80%, which is really high).

Greece-5
US-73 (that's a lot!)
Australia-25
New Zealand-5
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 28 [2] , given: 1

Re: LBS 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2012, 05:25
This post received
KUDOS
tttrn333 wrote:
You don't see the irony and intellectual dishonesty in that statement?

1) My argument is not contradictory. When I said 'respect different perspectives', I meant I respected the fact that YOU (not the posters) carry different views than I do. If you misinterpreted, I apologize for the confusion;
2) I did not attack the posters. I laid out my observations and I left it to the readers to think and evaluate the validity of the statements made by the posters, and decide whatever they believe in;
3) It's totally fine that we don't share the some point of view regarding the legitimacy of the posts and I appreciate your honest opinion and candid evaluation of schools.
4) Good luck with business school.

Last edited by happyface on 12 Apr 2012, 08:03, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford, HBS, Wharton, Chicago, Columbia, LBS, Kellogg
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all London Business School 2012 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Aug 2011, 09:26
This post received
KUDOS
Why THE HELL isn't the live app ready yet?!?!?!? It's almost 1 month before round 1 deadline and my recommenders need time to write the recs for me.

Do these people live in imaginationland where everyone's bosses have all the availability in the world to write the recs one day before the deadline?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 1

Re: LBS 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2011, 06:59
This post received
KUDOS
I applied last year in R2 and was waitlisted. A few weeks ago they asked me if I wanted to submit a letter and CV to the adcom to explain what had changed. I did but didn't put too much hope in it, and I found out on Thursday I got an offer!

Does anyone know when scholarship offers are sent? It's only a 1/5 chance and I can't imagine re-applicants are high on the list, so again not too hopeful!

Best of luck to everyone applying.
Joseph
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '14 (A)

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: LBS 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2011, 18:24
This post received
KUDOS
CrossXRoads wrote:
All you'll invitees - care to share your profiles plzz ??

Wonder why they cant send out everyones together... will probably wake up to check my phone every hour now..... neeeed :sleeping: :sleeping:

26/male/american/700/3.5/finance & non profit
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg
WE 1: Project Engineer (1yr)
WE 2: Analyst(3 yrs)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: LBS 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Nov 2011, 19:09
This post received
KUDOS
Got an invite, too.
Just wonder, Do we have to contact local representative? Or we just wait?
Coz from the e-mail " It is important to remember that we interview all around the world and that this process can take up to two weeks to set up. Please be patient during this time, and if you have had any recent location, phone or email address changes please make sure you let us know as soon as possible"

Anyway, 27/male/Thai/710/3.4/Engineer &Analyst/ 4 WE
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q39 V47
GPA: 3.8

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Re: LBS 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2011, 05:09
This post received
KUDOS
26/American/Male/3.8/700/Consulting
Got contacted by the admissions office this morning. It will take about 2 weeks to match you to your interviewer. They will be an alum so if you live in a major city it shouldn't be too much hassle. Seems simple and straightforward, however, if you live in Alaska, I am pretty sure you might have to board a plane.

Then you need to complete the interview by the end of the month and do some more waiting.

Good luck all!
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 58

Kudos [?]: 446 [1] , given: 210

Re: LBS 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2011, 03:21
This post received
KUDOS
Re: LBS 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 08 Dec 2011, 03:21