Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:19 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Duke, UCLA, Cornell, Ross,Tuck, Haas
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Marketing & General Management
Schools:University of Michigan - Ross 2010
 Q47  V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Calling Michigan Ross School of Business Applicants - 2009! [#permalink]
Hey I am new to this board, and definitly applying to Michigan RD1. Seems like September 25th is a popular date for school visit, I'll be there on that date too...and on my way to Chicago on Friday the 26th...

Maybe see you all there.

I'll be there on September 25th!![/quote]
I'm still deciding between the 25th and the 26th. The 26th works so much better since I'm flying in from the West Coast but that happy hour on the 25th is calling to me...Oh yeah, class visits too on the 25th! :rotate[/quote]
Wooooooooo! I'm in for Thursday the 25th. I'll be the guy in the maize and blue striped dress shirt!!![/quote]
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
zhl226 wrote:
Hey I am new to this board, and definitly applying to Michigan RD1. Seems like September 25th is a popular date for school visit, I'll be there on that date too...and on my way to Chicago on Friday the 26th...

Maybe see you all there.

Cool, one more GMATClubber for the 25th. What about the Ross program has you interested? What other schools are you targeting?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools:Darden(R1) UNC(R2) Ross(R2) Emory(R2) Olin(R1) Smeal(R1) Ga Tech (R1)
Send PM
Hey all,

Am applying in the first round... just about finished my 1st for all the essays... Looking at the application itself now and had a major query regarding the submission of transcripts/marksheets(basically all the documents that have to physically reach) I wanted to know whether these documents have to also reach before the deadline of Oct. 10??? or if I can scan and upload them and send the hard copy at a later stage? This would help save a lot of time and money as far as mailing everything to all schools from India!!

All help would be appreciated.

Thanks ,

Uday
Intern
Intern
Send PM
YihWei wrote:
Cool, one more GMATClubber for the 25th. What about the Ross program has you interested? What other schools are you targeting?[/quote]

I am interested in Ross cause its a good school, good population of post MBA consultants, I like their one MAP program -like a mini hands on internship, they seem to have a practicle approach to teaching MBA students, the new building should help too.

Right now I am also targeting Chicago, Duke, maybe Kellogg
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Non-profit, GM
Schools:Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Hey guys,

I'm applying JD/MBA for Michigan (Round 1 for the MBA). Good luck to everyone applying!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
Essay Question # 1 - Briefly describe your short-term and long-term career goals. Why is an MBA the best choice at this point in your career? What and/or who influenced your decision to apply to Ross?

For those that have started on the app, I'm hoping to get some clarity or at least a consensus on this. Should we be discussing "Why Ross" in this question? I mean, various aspects of the curriculum, such as MAP, Wolverine Venture Fund, etc. are valid reasons for "what influenced your decision..."

Does this seem fair, or am I completely off base? What is everyone else planning to do for that section of the essay.

There isn't a heck of a lot of wiggle room to show Ross love in the other essay questions...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
ryguy904 wrote:
Essay Question # 1 - Briefly describe your short-term and long-term career goals. Why is an MBA the best choice at this point in your career? What and/or who influenced your decision to apply to Ross?

For those that have started on the app, I'm hoping to get some clarity or at least a consensus on this. Should we be discussing "Why Ross" in this question? I mean, various aspects of the curriculum, such as MAP, Wolverine Venture Fund, etc. are valid reasons for "what influenced your decision..."

Does this seem fair, or am I completely off base? What is everyone else planning to do for that section of the essay.

There isn't a heck of a lot of wiggle room to show Ross love in the other essay questions...

IMO, yes. The way I intepret this question: (1) What are your long-term and short-term goals? (2) Why an MBA now? (3) Why Ross? Then there's the whole flow issue and figuring out how you're going to properly address all three questions without using more than 500 words. My second draft is currently sitting at 551...

This was the first essay I wrote and the 500 word limit made it a living hell. On hindsight, I should have started with other school's goals essays first before trying to piece this one together.

:shocked
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Has anyone started on the challenging time essay?

4. Describe your experience during a challenging time in your life. Explain how you grew personally, either despite this challenge or because of it.

This appears to be a non-professional essay. I wonder how many of us face a challenging time in lives...I mean completing your undergrad can't constitute a challenging time...

I feel it would be something that could have affected your life (e.g. parents divorced) but you didn't let it affect you... In fact you became self dependent very early because of it. or you had to do 2 jobs to complete your education...

What else can you think of? Most of us Indians don't face (fortunately) such issues.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Concentration: Consulting, Marketing
Schools:Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
 Q49  V38
Send PM
aakashganga wrote:

4. Describe your experience during a challenging time in your life. Explain how you grew personally, either despite this challenge or because of it.

This appears to be a non-professional essay. I wonder how many of us face a challenging time in lives...I mean completing your undergrad can't constitute a challenging time...

I feel it would be something that could have affected your life (e.g. parents divorced) but you didn't let it affect you... In fact you became self dependent very early because of it. or you had to do 2 jobs to complete your education...

What else can you think of? Most of us Indians don't face (fortunately) such issues.

Aakash,

Just my two cents. I don't think this essay is invariably meant to show a non professional challenging time. If at all, you feel that your non professional or extra curricular aspect hasn't quite come up in other essays, then it may be wise to chose something non professional. Otherwise, this space can talk about academic or professional, depending on it's impact. I think this question is quite close to a failure essay. It is more about your learnings from the episode than anything else.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Concentration: Consulting, Marketing
Schools:Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
 Q49  V38
Send PM
rgajare14 wrote:
aakashganga wrote:

Aakash,

Just my two cents. I don't think this essay is invariably meant to show a non professional challenging time. If at all, you feel that your non professional or extra curricular aspect hasn't quite come up in other essays, then it may be wise to chose something non professional. Otherwise, this space can talk about academic or professional, depending on it's impact. I think this question is quite close to a failure essay. It is more about your learnings from the episode than anything else.

Alright, after replying to Aakash above, I started thinking about my response again.

Tucks asks - "Discuss the most difficult constructive criticism or feedback you have received. How did you address it? What have you learned from it?"

And Ross question is "Describe your experience during a challenging time in your life. Explain how you grew personally, either despite this challenge or because of it."

A constructive criticism/feedback is usually after a failure and can be after a challenging time too. The second part of the question appears to be same for both schools - how you grew personally, either despite this challenge or because of it."

But I think, I would do some slight changes to my Tuck essay to present my failure as a challenging time. Any thoughts by people who are applying to both these schools ? ?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
New class profile out for Michigan:

Class of 2010 Profile

Undergraduate Majors Business 18% / 20% '09
Computer Science 7%
Economics 14% / 12% '09
Engineering 24% /29% '09
Humanities/Social Sciences 20%
Math/Physical Sciences 8%
Other 9%

Full-time Work Experience Average 5 years /same as '09
Range < 1-15 years /<1-16 last year

Average Age 29 years / same as '09

Women 34% / same as '09

Minorities 25% / 26% in '09

Citizenship Distribution Africa 1%
Asia 8%
Eastern Europe 1%
India 7%
Latin America 7%
Middle East 4%
North America 69%
Western Europe 3%

Geographic Distribution Mid-Atlantic 6%
Midwest 25% / 21% in '09
Northeast 16%
South 4%
Southwest 3%
West 19% / 12% in '09
International 27% / 35% in '09 big drop it seems

GPA: Average 3.3 /-same

GMAT Score Middle 80% Range 650 - 760 / 640-750 last year moved up 10 points
Average 706 / 701 in '09

Class Size 434 / 407 in '09

-Overall take away, GMAT is 10 points higher, less international students

Posted in wrong place before
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBA Graduate Top Hiring Companies for 2008 class I believe...cause it's different from the 2007 employment report. Not bad at all if you are into consulting and high tech, could use Bain and GS...

Company Number of Hires
McKinsey & Company 16
The Boston Consulting Group 12
Deloitte Consulting, LLP 11
Citi 9
Bank of America 9
Booz & Company 9
Accenture Ltd. 9
JPMorgan Chase & Co. 7
Deutsche Bank 7
Microsoft Corporation 7
Johnson & Johnson 7
Medtronic, Inc. 7
Cisco Systems, Inc. 6
Intel Corporation 6

*Includes day MBA new hires only
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
I suspect thats a natural response to the visa situation in the market. Employers are more and more worried about investing in people who may or may not work for them. It will be interesting to see if this a temporary dip or permanent trend.
zhl226 wrote:
Overall take away, GMAT is 10 points higher, less international students
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q49  V37
Send PM
guys,

An issue I am facing with my Ross essays is its small word limit. Through the four essays, I am unable to talk about my extra curricular and community development work. I guess I'll have highlight those only through my resume.

Is anyone else facing similar difficulties? Any tips on handling it?

-connecticket
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
connecticket wrote:
guys,

An issue I am facing with my Ross essays is its small word limit. Through the four essays, I am unable to talk about my extra curricular and community development work. I guess I'll have highlight those only through my resume.

-connecticket

Same here. Unless you can incorporate your ECs into the "difficult challenge" or "alternate career" question, you're pretty much stuck.

RF
Current Student
Schools:Duke, UCLA, Cornell, Ross,Tuck, Haas
Send PM
refurb wrote:
connecticket wrote:
guys,

-connecticket

Same here. Unless you can incorporate your ECs into the "difficult challenge" or "alternate career" question, you're pretty much stuck.

RF

How about using the optional essay?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
prospect wrote:
How about using the optional essay?

That would be a great place for it.

Since my ECs are pretty weak (no leadership examples) I won't be doing that, but yeah, if you have something really great to add (EC related or not), the optional essay is a great place for it.

RF
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  66