Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Dec 2014, 20:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Michigan (Ross) Fall 2009 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross Class of 2011
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 90 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Michigan (Ross) Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Apr 2009, 20:06
If I only had 3 months of paid vacation...
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 80

Kudos [?]: 707 [0], given: 5

Ross recruiting update... [#permalink] New post 07 May 2009, 11:59
From BW, someone posted negative stuff about Ross's recruiting and it seems like a legit response from their career services director.
Quote:
As Director of Career Services at Ross, I hope you’ll allow me to shed some light on this discussion.

Having shared preliminary employment and internship data with our peer schools, we see that our students are faring as well as any among our peer schools, and better than most.

What is actually happening at Ross is this: With about 90% of our students reporting their status, we see 78% of the MBA Class of 2009 had a full-time offer as of graduation last week. As for first-years, 77% of intern seekers had an offer as of last week. Yes, those numbers are down from last year, and international students are being hit particularly hard, due to the well-reported issues involving visas and loan programs with which readers of this forum are surely familiar.

There is indeed a limit to what any Career Service Office can do to support students in a recession generally considered to be the worst since the Great Depression. What we have done is this: I, our Career Services staff, and Dean Dolan have made numerous trips to locations throughout the country to speak with recruiters and executives to better understand their needs and to look for opportunities for students now and, importantly, in the future. We wanted to get an honest idea from corporate leaders about when they thought things might turn around for their industries and companies. Additionally, we have asked our leading alumni to step up by posting jobs and by coming to Ann Arbor to conduct mentoring sessions with students. And they HAVE stepped up. And we have seen results. Such efforts generated a significant number of new postings and campus interviews that have yielded both internships and full time positions for our students.

The poster’s assertion that some first year students are “working for free” this summer is absolutely true. In some cases -- based on the specific opportunity that it affords the student for learning, personal commitment and positioning for fall interviewing -- it makes a lot of sense, and we encourage it. This has always been the case at Ross and it reflects the diversity and focus of our students who choose to pursue such options. Far from reflecting a weakness, it represents the strength of our school’s relationships with companies and the resilience of our students. Your ultimate goal is a full-time job. In this environment, it may be that an unpaid internship is the best available means to attain that goal.

So we’ve made every effort to adapt to a situation unprecedented in our lifetime. We will surely look into any “disorganization,” but some of it, no doubt, was due to the fact that we were adapting and applying new techniques (and jumping on planes) rather than following the old playbook as if it were still 2006. That was a mistake that we would not make.

Can we do better? Always. Are we fighting as hard as possible on behalf of our students and seeing a success rate comparable to or better than the other top-ranked schools? I certainly think so. And the data we have suports that conviction.

Al Cotrone
Director, Career Services and Student Affairs
Stephen M. Ross School of Business
University of Michigan

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

VP
VP
Schools: Tuck
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 118 [0], given: 6

Re: Ross recruiting update... [#permalink] New post 07 May 2009, 12:28
Quote:
What is actually happening at Ross is this: With about 90% of our students reporting their status, we see 78% of the MBA Class of 2009 had a full-time offer as of graduation last week. As for first-years, 77% of intern seekers had an offer as of last week. Yes, those numbers are down from last year, and international students are being hit particularly hard, due to the well-reported issues involving visas and loan programs with which readers of this forum are surely familiar.

Here are the numbers from last year:

Received First Offer by Graduation

U.S. Citizens/Permanent Residents 89.8%
Foreign Nationals 86.3%
Total 88.7%

So that about a 11% decrease in offers from last year. Not that bad considering the meltdown of the economy. I wonder what the breakdown will be this year between US Citizens/Foreign Nationals.

RF
Current Student
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Michigan (Ross) Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 May 2009, 09:22
Back from the dead, I just got the call! I will see you boys in Ann Arbor!
Current Student
Schools: Ross '11
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Michigan (Ross) Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 May 2009, 09:28
Congrats man - as much as I love Sunny, looks like it's time to update that avatar!

GO BLUE!
Current Student
Schools: Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 34

Re: Calling all Michigan (Ross) Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 May 2009, 09:33
atlmba2009 wrote:
Back from the dead, I just got the call! I will see you boys in Ann Arbor!

Nice! Congrats!

Profile | GMAT | Erb Institute

Re: Calling all Michigan (Ross) Fall 2009 Applicants!   [#permalink] 12 May 2009, 09:33